Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2003, 07:06 AM   #211

Gallery:
Sissy, no, you didn't set back your detox too much. Think of your body as a "junk drawer" -- the Aleve is just one more thing in the drawer.

Arthritis is one of the conditions specifically discussed in the fasting studies as to benefit greatly. The less you weigh the more "body repair" goes on, and the premise in fasting is that your body will feed on the growths that make arthritis what it is. There's also a ton of stuff going on with hormones, especially as body fat melts -- when that stuff hits your bloodstream, wow!

Poupounne, that's OK! You helped your body a lot in 2 days! Be well and remember to EAT CLEAN!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2003, 07:18 AM   #212
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AllisonB
Stats: Day of surgery:255/Today:142/Goal:140
Start Date: RNY 8/20/2012
Quote:
Originally posted by Kimmer
Allison, glad you're feeling better! I'm interested though, in the egg raising your blood sugar. Isn't everything we're taught in LC that fat and protein don't provide carbs so they don't raise blood sugar??? I'm not diabetic, so I don't have any first hand knowledge. Are you Type I or Type II? 4 pounds since yesterday? Are you going for the Guiness Book or what, LOL?
I don't have an answer to that, after I ate it I thought "well, that probably wasn't my best choice, either", but I felt better almost immediately and when I tested an hour later my level had gone up. Maybe it went up on it's own and the egg had nothing to do with it? My meter shows my last 10 readings as 63, 71, 75, 57, 56, 43, 60, 60, 34, 71, and as of right now: 75. So it's moving up and down with no obvious pattern. My last HBA1C, last Friday, was 5.5, which is pretty good. The ADA considers 6.0 and below as "non-diabetic". You're still a diabetic, but have it in good control.

I am Type 2 (I would not have attempted fasting with Type 1, I don't think) and figured that if no food was going in, I wouldn't have to worry about insulin responding. Maybe someone who knows more about diabetes than I do will have an answer?

I was genuinely surprised at the 4 lbs., I weighed at about 9 PM last night and I was still at 216!
Old 08-22-2003, 07:31 AM   #213
Jot

Gallery: Jot
I soo want to do this with you guys but I don't think I can.

I woke this moring absolustely starving and I had eaten the night before and since thinking about fasting I have been very hungry and have eaten so much rusbbish, must be in the mind.

I'll keep reading your great posts and hopefully one day I'll wake up and be able to do it.

good luck

jot

Old 08-22-2003, 07:32 AM   #214
Big Yapper!!!!

I think this may explain it: http://www.endocrineweb.com/insulin.html

If I understand this correctly, the body reacts to low blood glucose by releasing glucagon, which increases the blood glucose, which in turn causes an insulin release if it's too high. But I could be wrong, I'm not a doctor, I only play one on tv.

Last edited by AllisonB; 08-22-2003 at 07:33 AM..
Old 08-22-2003, 07:42 AM   #215
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 143zt
What do u guys do for bowel movements?
Old 08-22-2003, 07:50 AM   #216
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by 143zt
What do u guys do for bowel movements?
I'm just letting it happen if it happens. I've had one so far, and a very, very small episode of diarrhea yesterday. I think that some people are using enemas and/or colonics.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:52 AM   #217
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: handicapped91
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6/9/03
30 Day Detox

If nothing goes in, nothing may come out. On my previous 2 week fast I never had a BM.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:20 AM   #218
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Island Blue
Start Date: 4/17/03
DAY 5

[COLOR=blue]WOW! I NEVER thought I could go 4 full days without food! Not that it has been "easy," but it's been a lot easier than I thought, however I seem to be having more food/hunger difficulties than most.

Jot, I have struggled with hunger - both mental and physical during this. More so than most, from reading the posts. Last night I was hit with waves of "10" pains. Don't worry about it, I understand the panic of your brain telling your body you're not going to eat. If a fast works out in the future, great. If not, that's great too! There are lots of different ways to nourish your body and soul, that's what this WOL is all about - to find what is right FOR YOU!

Seriously, yes the whole body waste thing is interesting. Although I have stated I don't usually spend so much time analyzing every little nuance of my body reactions, I AM quite aware of my bladder. I take cranberry pills every day (though I stopped them for the fast), and at the first sign of a "twinge" I am all over the cranberry pills and tons of water. I know when I'm coming down with a UTI. I started one on Wednesday, but evidently my body attacked that first. So, day 2 since the serious concerns and so far, so good.

And no, I have no temp (unless sweating while moving furniture and boxes yesterday counts! ) Actually, I've had almost NO indications of detox - no oiliness, pains, or pimples. That is why I posted the statement that I don't know if I'm in detox or not, I don't have anything to show for it. Oh, my mouth is a bit icky, and hubby checked for me last night (whadda a guy!) and said "yea" that my breath was "a bit" bad. So I brushed hard, scraped, showered, put on antiperspirant & foo-foo lotion (in case my bo is bad too), and off I went to bunco.

My biggest problem is the hunger pains, usually late at night. And my brain keeps making lists of all the foods I'm going to eat when I finally decide to stop this. It's a conscious effort to tell myself "NO - I'm not doing that anymore!" Is anyone else doing this to themselves?

Oh - and about scraping, does anyone else do tongue scraping? I do it regularly so didn't think to post it. It is supposed to help tremendously to clean the tongue of dead cells and improve breath. Just a thought, I figured it would help even more now. It's kind of a wedge shaped thing with a handle, and you just slowly s-c-r-a-p-e your tongue (back to front) after brushing. I got mine at Target.

Kimmer, I hadn't even considered the challenges of the weekend! Oh my....... I have a couple needlecraft projects (Christmas gifts) I can concentrate on, some housework and laundry too. And my best friend just sent her daughter off to Italy for a semester of college, I'm sure she'll be a train wreck. I'll take her shopping! Hubby has a golf tournament on Sunday, and church is always so uplifting for me, I think I'll do o k a y..... (twitching nervously).

SHS = 4. Jeez, I thought ketosis killed hunger. I am SO metabolically (and psychologically) resistant!!!

It's August in Sacramento - it's usually sunny, not a cloud in the sky and in the triple digits. Since yesterday afternoon however, it has been POURING down rain (with lightning and thunder), a really raging "winter" storm. WIERD! And I have to go to work....blech!

Edited to add: I'm down another 2 pounds, 12 total. BUT, before anyone thinks "OH, FASTING IS THE WAY TO GO!" I gotta tell ya, I'm pretty confident my body will gain every ounce back. I'm figuring probably 10# is water, and I know I'm in a severe starvation mode here (which is why my brain keeps thinking off food unbidden and I have the hunger pains). My body will grab every calorie of solid food and shove it right back into those depleted fat cells when I go off the fast. But that's ME. Others have maintained more of a weight loss, but I think everyone gains back SOME. I just don't want anyone misled about the whole weight loss deal. As many have posted before, I'm doing this for healing.

Hmmmm, yes I'll agree. Fasting makes me "chatty"...........

Blessings to all of us, posters and lurkers alike! TGIF!![/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]Please pray for our troops, freedom isn't free[/COLOR]

Last edited by Island Blue; 08-22-2003 at 08:36 AM..
Old 08-22-2003, 08:24 AM   #219
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally posted by AllisonB
I'm just letting it happen if it happens. I've had one so far, and a very, very small episode of diarrhea yesterday. I think that some people are using enemas and/or colonics.
[COLOR=blue] Yup, that's pretty much the same for me. I was considering an enema if necessary, but I'm pretty "cleaned out," so I'm letting my body "do it's thing." [/COLOR]
Old 08-22-2003, 09:06 AM   #220

Gallery:
Hello everyone,

I've been lurking for days. I want to say congratulations to everybody. I am joining you all today. I've been doing kiss this week and so far I have lost 5 lbs. I really don't have much of an appetite so I decided to join you today only. I've never fast for a long period of time so one full day will be something new for me. The next time I will add more days. You ladies are truly an inspiration to me.

Old 08-22-2003, 09:17 AM   #221
Big Yapper!!!!

Welcome amiee and all of the other new-fasters. Amiee, I will be doing KISS when I go off of the fast. Congrats on your 5 lbs., that's great!
Old 08-22-2003, 09:19 AM   #222

Gallery:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jot
I soo want to do this with you guys but I don't think I can.

I woke this moring absolustely starving and I had eaten the night before and since thinking about fasting I have been very hungry and have eaten so much rusbbish, must be in the mind.

I'll keep reading your great posts and hopefully one day I'll wake up and be able to do it.

good luck

jot
Jot, don't push yourself! Some day (maybe), you'll be ready, if not, don't sweat it! Eat clean!

Old 08-22-2003, 09:24 AM   #223

Gallery:
Quote:
Originally posted by Island Blue
[COLOR=blue] Yup, that's pretty much the same for me. I was considering an enema if necessary, but I'm pretty "cleaned out," so I'm letting my body "do it's thing." [/COLOR]
Ditto for me. Ordinarily I don't have "active" bowels (sorry if TMI), but this morning ... whew! Toxins, be gone!

Allison, I was just asking because I don't know a bunch about diabetes (because I aren't one . Isn't it amazing that your blood sugar flucuates throughout the day even though you aren't eating anything with carbs? Do you think that's because your body is releasing body fat and it's converting to energy? Oops, is that too hard of a question this morning?

Old 08-22-2003, 09:25 AM   #224
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Divinity
Stats: 250/233.6/150 (for now)
WOE: K/E or Kimkins...or THE BEST I CAN DO lol
Start Date: 6/13/07
WOW

WOW EVERYONE IS DOING SO WELL!!!!

I know it's not about weight loss...but WOW!!!!!

Today and last night I've felt a little icky. I'm probably getting into more of a deep cleaning. Which is a good thing. My head hurts, my breath stinks, I'm weak and tired....and now I'm DONE COMPLAINING

Anyway, congrats to all you "losers" and detoxers. And welcome newbies!

I'll check in later
Old 08-22-2003, 09:25 AM   #225
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Ditto for me. Ordinarily I don't have "active" bowels (sorry if TMI), but this morning ... whew! Toxins, be gone!

Allison, I was just asking because I don't know a bunch about diabetes (because I aren't one . Isn't it amazing that your blood sugar flucuates throughout the day even though you aren't eating anything with carbs? Do you think that's because your body is releasing body fat and it's converting to energy? Oops, is that too hard of a question this morning?
I genuinely don't know, but I have a call in to my doctors office to ask him or the NP how they would explain it! If it corrected on it's own, d*m& that egg!!!!!!
Old 08-22-2003, 09:37 AM   #226

Gallery:
Re: DAY 5

Quote:
Originally posted by Island Blue
[COLOR=blue]Kimmer, I hadn't even considered the challenges of the weekend! Oh my....... I have a couple needlecraft projects (Christmas gifts) I can concentrate on, some housework and laundry too. And my best friend just sent her daughter off to Italy for a semester of college, I'm sure she'll be a train wreck. I'll take her shopping! Hubby has a golf tournament on Sunday, and church is always so uplifting for me, I think I'll do o k a y..... (twitching nervously).

Edited to add: I'm down another 2 pounds, 12 total. BUT, before anyone thinks "OH, FASTING IS THE WAY TO GO!" I gotta tell ya, I'm pretty confident my body will gain every ounce back. I'm figuring probably 10# is water, and I know I'm in a severe starvation mode here (which is why my brain keeps thinking off food unbidden and I have the hunger pains). My body will grab every calorie of solid food and shove it right back into those depleted fat cells when I go off the fast. [/COLOR]
Island, sounds like you have a full weekend, good for fasting! The hardest time for me is evenings, even on Atkins. I want to snack. I wanna I wanna!

You'll regain your water weight eventually (all low-carbers do as they add carbs), but you won't regain the fat, unless you eat stuff that supports that (your body doesn't manufacture fat from nothing).

But then again, I don't believe in starvation mode. I do, however, believe in psychology. If someone thinks that they've deprived themselves for 14 days so they 'deserve' or can 'handle' the extra carbs, yes, the weight will come right back on. Starvation mode on the main BB is the belief that if you eat very low calorie (or in our case, 0 calorie), that your body will hold on to every ounce and not release body fat. That's not the case. In the absence of food our bodies will go to fat stores, that's why it's there.

Divinity, congrats on, uh, "deep cleaning". If I had planned better, I would have started this on a Thursday so when the detox starts in earnest (day 3/4), I'd be at home to SLEEP! BTW, I'm not a daytime sleeping person ... now I am!

Allison, what's your doc going to say about water fasting???

Old 08-22-2003, 10:08 AM   #227
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Nady
Good Morning everyone! Just checking in~

I didn't start the fast until after I had already eaten yesterday~ fortunately it was all protein, so I'm doing good with the hunger factor. My clothes already feel looser~ thank heavens~ I was about to buy a pair of bigger jeans!

I hope that I don't detox too much through my skin~ I usually do, but I have eczema all over (and it itches!) more is not needed!

DH said that this is the first time he's seen me excited about something in a long time~ I feel like I'm finally taking control of my health, my life!

Thanks for letting me join~ I really need this~ on many levels!
~~~N
Old 08-22-2003, 10:45 AM   #228

Gallery:
Nady, have you read the fasting links? Eczema is one of the conditions that is greatly helped with water fastingl, if done long enough. I have mild psorasis and have already seen an improvement (the scales aren't flaking, it's like they're disappearing from the bottom?) Check it out and welcome!

I'm going to repost the fasting links in my first post on page 1 so it's easier for people to find. If anyone wants to add anything, give me the link and I'll add it to that post.

Old 08-22-2003, 10:57 AM   #229
Big Yapper!!!!

I just spoke to the nurse practicioner and she said that my bg rose because of the calories in the egg. That any calories will affect the bg to some degree, but that an egg (protein) was not a good choice, I should have had some OJ or a glucose tablet. I haven't had OJ in my house for over a year! So I'll keep my glucose tablets handy just in case, and I'll keep on keeping on. Interestingly, each glucose tablet has 15 calories and 4 grams of carbs.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:28 AM   #230
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Nady
Quote:
Nady, have you read the fasting links? Eczema is one of the conditions that is greatly helped with water fastingl, if done long enough. I have mild psorasis and have already seen an improvement (the scales aren't flaking, it's like they're disappearing from the bottom?) Check it out and welcome!

Yes~ Thanks! I've been checking out the links~ When I did the 10 day fast, (I started with 3 days) it was because I noticed how fast the eczema was healing. When I broke the fast, my skin was almost totally clear. This current mess is my own fault! I know I'm very sensitive to grains, but then I start nibbling on Doritos and start up the while chain reaction again! A clean break from food is just so much easier for regaining control!

Sure am glad for the support~ so much easier than doing it alone! I've tried three times before this in the last month, but caved by dinner~ never made it through the first day
~~~N
Old 08-22-2003, 11:39 AM   #231
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: karat
Stats: 176/176/130
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: Jan 7, 2008
I continue to check in and you guys are great inspiration!

I am only into my first day, early afternoon. I went grocery shopping for my kids and hubby but didn't look at the food, just shoved it into the cart and ran.

Bit of a caffeine withdrawal headache--how long does that take to subside? A little tired, but not hungry yet. The demon of afternoon/evening snacking hasn't hit yet, though. . .

It surely is comforting to walk this path behind those of you who've already "been there." At least I know the range of things to expect.

karat
Old 08-22-2003, 12:03 PM   #232
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baby PHAT
Day 1

This thread is a great support for me.

I don't think I can do the ONLY WATER fast right now. I'm just not mentally strong enough for that (or much of anything else)

But what I can do is ease into the fast (if that makes any sense) I haven't eaten since yesterday and that's a huge accomplishment for me. So yeah for me!

So this is what I will do. I will add an hour every day to how long I will go without eating until I can go for a 24 hour period then take if from there. So it's been 14 hrs since I last ate (maybe longer)

Does that sound reasonable?
Old 08-22-2003, 12:15 PM   #233

Gallery:
Quote:
Originally posted by Nady
I know I'm very sensitive to grains, but then I start nibbling on Doritos ...
You are forbidden from mentioning the "D" word on this thread!

I've always noticed it too, when I fast, that my skin situation improves. It's up to us to figure out triggers it and avoid it. I also notice with each fast that the patches are smaller and thinner (I only get it on my elbows, thank goodness!)

BabyPHAT, it sound reasonable to you, then I'm all for it. My only concern is if your carbs are too high, you're going to be hungry into you get fully into the water fast. No hunger? Take your time!

Old 08-22-2003, 12:18 PM   #234
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
You are forbidden from mentioning the "D" word on this thread!
Pssttt...also don't mention Diet Dr. Pepper , it gets ugly!!!
Old 08-22-2003, 12:26 PM   #235

Gallery:
Nady, as you know Day 1 is the hardest and night time is the WORST! That's why I couldn't get to bed fast enough!!!

Karat, the caffeine headache is individual too. Mine was 2 days and I thought it was the worst thing I'd ever gone through. But, now I'm caffeine free (except for an occasional diet soda). Honestly, if the headache is horrible, I'd go ahead and take something. Your body will be detoxing all the other stuff.

Old 08-22-2003, 12:39 PM   #236
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: warmsummerbreeze
Stats: 211.5/176/125 - 199/199/125 - 211/207/125
WOE: Atkins - Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2003/Sept. 15, 2004/Feb. 14, 2005
I wasn't able to start the fast as I had said I would. Hubby just wouldn't hear of it just out of the blue like that. I tried to explain but he just got pigheaded. So I told him I'd plan it better and he's better know i'm not doing some hair brained thing because everyone else is. Men! (I'm about ready to put him up for auction of ebay)

I will start the fast on Sunday...and take it one day at a time.

I wanted to share this website with everyone. I don't know if anyone does any sort of meditation but this website is wonderful to helpl with learning and not only that there is a place that has the author (i think) reading short 2 to 5 minute meditation thingy's.

I like the site and have started spending a few minutes at it each day...

Meditation Link

I look forward to joining everyone, as someone said so perfectly..following in the footsteps of those who have gone this path before...something like that...lol

Enjoy!

"We are all capable of infinitely more than we believe. We are stronger and more resourceful than we know, and we can endure much more than we think we can. In truth, the only restrictions on our capacity to astonish ourselves and each other are imposed by our own minds." ?David Blaine
Old 08-22-2003, 01:10 PM   #237
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sissy01
Warm Summre Breeze - That is funny you mention that about your husband. I did not tell mine that I am doing this anyone on this website. He would think that was an ill planned idea. So instead, I told him I decided to do that after reading several books at the book store on it. For some reason that was easier for him to handle.

He has been very supportive though. Even though he tells me he doesn't understand why I am doing it. People do get veru weird about the idea.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:55 PM   #238
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

DAY 5

Quote:
You'll regain your water weight eventually (all low-carbers do as they add carbs), but you won't regain the fat, unless you eat stuff that supports that (your body doesn't manufacture fat from nothing).

But then again, I don't believe in starvation mode. I do, however, believe in psychology. If someone thinks that they've deprived themselves for 14 days so they 'deserve' or can 'handle' the extra carbs, yes, the weight will come right back on. Starvation mode on the main BB is the belief that if you eat very low calorie (or in our case, 0 calorie), that your body will hold on to every ounce and not release body fat. That's not the case. In the absence of food our bodies will go to fat stores, that's why it's there.
[COLOR=blue] Dearest Kimmer:
Well, maybe I'm using the term "starvation mode" incorrectly. I just meant to inform everyone that I am extremely metabolically resistant. I was on Atkins for 4 months, and only lost 10 pounds (during induction). The rest of the time I gained and lost the same 4 pounds. So, I am assuming my body is going to go right back once I start feeding it again. I think that is why I'm experiencing more hunger than most, my body is more resistant to EVERYTHING. I have lost 12 pounds, true, but I have over 100 to lose. So in the grand scheme of things, I've lost a much smaller percentile of weight than you, and most others.

I just don't want anyone deceived by weight loss versus detox. I was trying to make the point that a water fast shouldn't be JUST about weight loss, and that those that are fasting with weight loss as part of the result need to plan to possibly gain some of the weight back.

Does that make more sense?

I also wanted to post that I'm struggling with two sides of my brain. One side wants to fast and detox, the other is obsessed with food. Is anyone else having this struggle?

Anyway, I'm at a SHS of 6 right about now. And my mouth finally tastes REALLY metallic. ICKY! Does this mean I'm just now catching up to the detox levels of the "poopoo" mouths from Day 2?????

Urine was dark and cloudy just now, and I had some twinges. Uh Oh. Maybe the reason I seem to be so far behind everyone is that my body has it's hands full with my bladder?

Greetings to All! Belle - love those inspirational messages!!
[/COLOR]
Old 08-22-2003, 01:56 PM   #239
Senior LCF Member

Sissy,

They really do. I think that most people I know use food as a social tool and giving it up is totally out of the question how would they get together, entertain or have any fun with out food!!!

I never listen to my husband, but the fact that he had dinner cooked and it smelled so good...well for once I listened to him.

But I'll have the whole weekend to let him know whats going on.

I am going to close my bedroom door Sunday evening and simply meditate and contemplate my life, my beliefs and my overwhelming dependence on food. I want to purge my body and clense my soul...

Okay...I'm sounding weird now...lol...
Old 08-22-2003, 02:00 PM   #240
Senior LCF Member

Island Blue,

I am big time having the struggle with the fasting. I want to do this more then anything I've wanted to do in a long time...but that thing about giving up the food...even though i did it once without any worries for a whole (wow) 36 hours...to do it for longer is giving me a hard time.

Your struggle in all this makes me think if you can deal with this and do this, then I should be able to. You really are an inspiration.