Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2003, 04:18 PM   #181
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Divinity
Stats: 250/233.6/150 (for now)
WOE: K/E or Kimkins...or THE BEST I CAN DO lol
Start Date: 6/13/07
Belle,

YOU GO GIRL....WHOOPPEEE!!!! We are six pound losers!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2003, 04:23 PM   #182

Gallery:
Re: going through day one for me....

Quote:
Originally posted by debbie16
i'm not hungry but i don't think i'm in ketosis yet because i ate some fruits yesterday so i hope my stomach won't rumble.

my urine was a dark orange this morning when i pee. is it a sign of detox?
Hmmmm, I'm going to say "no" because you haven't been without carbs long enough. See how things "look" tomorrow. How do you feel? Are you whiney like I was, LOL?

Belle, you 6 pound girl!

Old 08-21-2003, 04:50 PM   #183
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lori42
Stats: 144/128/125
WOE: Moderate carb, whole foods
Start Date: May 2003
Just wanted to check in before I leave tomorrow.
I started breaking my fast (very gently!) by adding chicken broth and fresh vegetable juice (I added water to it so it wouldn't be so potent). Plus my water, of course!

That chicken broth never tasted sooo good. I bought the Health Valley low fat (with salt) kind. And the vegetables I juiced are 1 carrot, a bunch of celery, spinach, parsley and the leaves from beets. Sounds yuuummy, huh?! Actually it was very good. I just sipped from my glass all day long in between WATER of course!

And I must say, go slowly breaking your fasts. My tummy let me know I'm not ready to eat solid food yet (and this is only after 3 days!). Tomorrow I'll make soup and puree the veggies and chicken to give me something a bit more substantial.

It's been great and I want to do this again but for longer next time! I'll check in with you all when I get back.

Good luck and keep fasting!

Lori

P.S. Island I'm glad you're feeling a bit better.
Old 08-21-2003, 05:30 PM   #184
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Island Blue
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/17/03
Quote:
Originally posted by Lori42
Just wanted to check in before I leave tomorrow.
I started breaking my fast (very gently!) by adding chicken broth and fresh vegetable juice (I added water to it so it wouldn't be so potent). Plus my water, of course!

That chicken broth never tasted sooo good. I bought the Health Valley low fat (with salt) kind. And the vegetables I juiced are 1 carrot, a bunch of celery, spinach, parsley and the leaves from beets. Sounds yuuummy, huh?! Actually it was very good. I just sipped from my glass all day long in between WATER of course!

And I must say, go slowly breaking your fasts. My tummy let me know I'm not ready to eat solid food yet (and this is only after 3 days!). Tomorrow I'll make soup and puree the veggies and chicken to give me something a bit more substantial.

It's been great and I want to do this again but for longer next time! I'll check in with you all when I get back.

Good luck and keep fasting!

Lori

P.S. Island I'm glad you're feeling a bit better.
[COLOR=blue]Thanks Lori! I wanted to suggest you might want to try Kimmer's egg drop soup - I'm planning to use it whenever I break this fast.

Heat up some chicken broth to a hard simmer, and stir in a beaten egg (or two). I think it might help your body adjust to solid food before you add real meat.

Have a great trip! We'll miss you!! Keep in touch, ok?! [/COLOR]

Last edited by Island Blue; 08-21-2003 at 05:31 PM..
Old 08-21-2003, 05:36 PM   #185
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

DAY 4

[COLOR=blue]Each day seems to go faster. I've been VERY busy at work however. Moved into my palacial executive CUBICLE today. Oh well, it's bigger than my other cubby!

Feel much better, no more burning. Need to up my water still. Not thirsty, but I don't want to risk an infection. My body is such a creature of habit!

Congrats to all of us! I have bunco tonight, so I'll be distracted. They always have candy & dessert, but I stopped eating that months ago. Several drink water, so I'll be okay.

Tomorrow night is a c o c k tail pary. I've only had ice water in the past at those with this group, so that's okay. I'm just worried about the "Martha Stewart" appetizer spread my friend will put out! Oh well, I CAN'T cheat and eat anything - I'll be sick as a dog! Talk about your incentives!!!

Hang in there everyone! Can you all believe we've come this far??!!

WOO HOO FOR US!!![/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]Please pray for our troops, freedom isn't free[/COLOR]
Old 08-21-2003, 05:53 PM   #186
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LilOleBelle
Stats: UCK !!!!
WOE: Low-Carb WOE
Start Date: T O S O !!!!!
ARE WE BADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD OR WHAT???????????????

Always Belle
Old 08-21-2003, 05:53 PM   #187
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AllisonB
Stats: Day of surgery:255/Today:142/Goal:140
Start Date: RNY 8/20/2012
Evening of Day 4: The bad times have finally befallen me! I was very tired this morning, very run-down feeling. I felt GREAT around 10 AM, then by noon I had crashed again. So I left work and came home and got in bed. My knees were cracking very loudly all day, and they have hurt like h3ll since then. I've been laying in bed all afternoon with a pillow under my knees and they feel much better. I am still going back to bed for CSI, then sleep.

I got the Miracle of Fasting Book, and plan to read it this weekend. My urine is a pale yellow to gold, and I've been using ketostix since beginning the fast, and I'm now at the next-to-darkest level. Still absolutely no physical appetite, but an afternoon of tv-watching has made me obsess about food. I deal with that by making a mental list of foods I know I can have "later". The hardest was a Cassano's Pizza commercial (a local chain here that I love). Then my husband comes home and tells me that they are opening one 2 blocks away!

I'm ignoring the negative comments about fasting, doesn't it remind you of the people who say we'll ruin our kidneys on Atkins?
Old 08-21-2003, 06:29 PM   #188

Gallery:
Allison, CSI is my favorite TV show! I love all the characters, but, of course, Grissom is my favorite! So, what do you think is going on with your knees? My knee hurt the first day then stopped, and the 'metatarsil' bones on top of my feet that were hurting have also stopped -- and it was pretty painful (I wore my ortho looking shoes to work that day, just in case, LOL)|!)

Island, you're brave going to Bunco on a water fast! You're a smart girl, you'll figure out something smart to say. I was just going to post that I feel 150% better this afternoon. It's 6:30 pm now, and I'm not tired in the least.

Oh, and guess what? I was getting ready for a shower and guess what I didn't see? The cellulite on my bottom! It must still be there because it's the fat cell structure that dimples ... but still! In my office I had to use the smallest office chair (w/ arms) and it used to squeeze my hips when I'd sit down. Ta da! I slip in and out of that sucker with ease now! All in 6 pounds!

OK, enough bragging for one night.

Congrats to my fellow fasters, you are AWESOME!!!

Old 08-21-2003, 07:01 PM   #189
Seriouslyme

Gallery: Seriouslyme
Day 4

Just got home from work, read the thread and again, I love us all.

First, Hey Kimmmmmmmer! Gosh, I am so glad you are on this thread with us. You give so much time to answering questions, etc.

And Island Blue, there is the best book, called THE SEVEN STAGES OF HEALING, where the author writes about the wisdom of our body, and how generally, our bodies can heal us, if we allow the time, and the right conditions. I was interested (and sorry) to hear that your infection got worse, but then today, you have some improvement!!! I bet you will go through cycles of detox in that area, and ultimately gain improvement. If you have to go on antibiotics, Iwould agree with Kimmer that you might try a modified fast, where you drink veggi drinks, and water for the remainder of time you want to spend on the fast. I salute you.

I had some tea today. I was nauseous at work, and just had to try to ease it. I am a bit spacey, and tired, and urine is the color of mustard! But SHS is 0. I really am not hungry at all. I would like the mental satisfaction of food...but my body isn't telling me to eat, my emotions are.

As everyone probably knows, I am NOT for fasting for weight loss, but when I look at the numbers everyone is posting, I am thinking, HEY! healing with a GREAT side beni...Gosh Belle and AllisonB and Divinity and Island Blue...all doing sooooooooooo well. This is an amazing process...no?

Someone wondered about Seltzer water...and I think that Seltzer water would be fine, as long as salt wasn't an issue. I don't know how carbonation would ruin the fast. But purists might find an issue with it. Who cares. Do what you want.

And those who have only fasted a few days....GOOD FOR YOU!!! There are benifits you received no doubt. Those who want to fast on and off, I think Kimmer is right, it would cause constant hunger as one would never get into the stage where digestion turns off, and ketosis creates the no hunger sensation.

If anyone feels AUTHENTIC hunger, I would advise breaking the fast slowly and return to Atkins, or Stillman. AUTHENTIC hunger is a valid reason for stopping. Every fasting book I read has said one will KNOW when they have authentic hunger into a fast of some duration.

Those who stay on the fast, should go deeper and deeper into the healing and cleanup process, with bouts of feeling terrific inbetween. There is a major cleaning/healing (read it uncomfortable and things looking and feeling icky) around day 12ish. I am going to look for it.

I slept so deeply last evening. Oh, and someone posted their legs were 'sore' for no reason. Legs detox too! My legs are sore for 'no reason' too right now...kind of achey.

New joiners, HI...welcome and truley glad you are posting.

Now (Seriouslyme taps foot with arms on hips)....who told playground we were fasting???!!!! (ha, just kidding).

Hi MagPetals!!! Thanks for your kind words.

Ummmmm....and I will post again. I get chatty when I fast!

Last edited by Seriouslyme; 08-21-2003 at 07:07 PM..

Old 08-21-2003, 07:18 PM   #190
Seriouslyme

Oh, Lori...I can agree with you on how fantastic broth tastes when breaking a fast. And you are smart to break it slowly. It saves on the tummy pain! I will be interested to know how long it takes your body to be ready to take 'regular' Atkin's type food again.

Last edited by Seriouslyme; 08-21-2003 at 07:24 PM..

Old 08-21-2003, 08:50 PM   #191
Senior LCF Member

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Who was talking about us???
What was said??
Shoot, I miss everything...
Fill me in, Seriouslyme, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee

Always Belle
Old 08-21-2003, 09:43 PM   #192
debbie16

Gallery: debbie16
okay, have not eaten for 14 hours. still have 10 more hours for day 1 to end!

my urine is still next to dark orange and gold. its the darkest and weirdest colour i have ever seen. lol.

i MUST stay strong........................

Old 08-21-2003, 09:46 PM   #193
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baby PHAT
I'm starting tomorrow morning

I have to get rid of my addiction. I have thought about fasting before but haven't been able to do it. Eating is more mental for me then physical. I eat way too much. Sometimes I will eat until I feel like the food is going to come back up. I eat when I'm not hungry. I eat food that doesn't taste good. I eat when I'm anxious about something.

I have to get this monkey off my back. So just like a substance abuser I have to detox. Purge the food addiction from my system.

When people fast for religion or to clense their system it's a lot easier then fasting for weight loss. It's totally mental thing.

Everytime I try to fast or even diet I talk myself out of it. Saying things like I could start tomorrow or this isn't healthy for me. My body is going through a lot of pain right now. I don't feel that I can digest my food very well.

I have sciatica and my right leg goes numb and my lower back hurts a lot. When I walk or stand for too long my leg burns something awful. My skin has been breaking out in boils left and right.

I'm at the end of my rope. This is my last hope. I'm determined to get my body healthy.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:58 PM   #194
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ***Julez38***
This is so cool. Today is my 2nd day fasting. I decided to look at the bb and I am glad I did because you all have been a huge encouragment. I am drinking lots of water and I have decided to drink some vegetable broth. That has been a life saver. I am also thinking about 30 days but I think I will try 10 and see how I do. If this does not kick me out of my stall nothing will. I weighed 140 when I started will weigh again next Tuesday. I am also doing this for spiritual reasons. I need to get back into the word and spend more time praying. Thanks for posting---Dont stop I will be checking in often.....Julie
ECCLESIASTICUS 6:14
160/143/120
39years old 5'2 Mother of 3 beautiful boys......19,17,&13
Old 08-21-2003, 10:20 PM   #195
Senior LCF Member

Hey, all you WAY OUT FASTING FANTANICSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

Hey, check this out, this is from one of my favorite challenging groups, that I'm also a memeber of ...
I thnk its GREAT...
It fits us to a tee, I think....

Always Belle
Old 08-21-2003, 10:50 PM   #196
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Re: Day 4

Quote:
Originally posted by Seriouslyme
I had some tea today. I was nauseous at work, and just had to try to ease it. I am a bit spacey, and tired, and urine is the color of mustard!

Now (Seriouslyme taps foot with arms on hips)....who told playground we were fasting???!!!! (ha, just kidding).

[COLOR=blue] Seriously, have you tried mint tea? I used it for morning ookies when I was pregnant. Caffeine free, and really settled my tummy. It was all I ever needed.

My urine has been mostly dark, or lighter and cloudy (which is an infection sign for me) Tonight I think I finally had a wierd smell. Like I said this morning - I dunno. I never pay this much attention to every little thing my body does!

There's a brouhaha? On the Playground?? About us??? DO TELL!! [/COLOR]

Last edited by Island Blue; 08-21-2003 at 10:53 PM..
Old 08-21-2003, 10:55 PM   #197
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

DAY 4 - End

[COLOR=blue] SHS - 3, but I just got home from bunco where there was a FABULOUS spread of goodies and margaritas. Everyone was so busy eating and chatting, no one noticed I didn't touch anything. And there were 3 of us drinking water, so *whew!* I made it!!!

I'm off to bed. Almost Day 5 - wow. Simply amazing.[/COLOR]
Old 08-22-2003, 04:49 AM   #198
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally posted by Island Blue
[COLOR=blue]Thanks Lori! I wanted to suggest you might want to try Kimmer's egg drop soup - I'm planning to use it whenever I break this fast.

Heat up some chicken broth to a hard simmer, and stir in a beaten egg (or two). I think it might help your body adjust to solid food before you add real meat.

Have a great trip! We'll miss you!! Keep in touch, ok?! [/COLOR]
Thanks for the suggestion Island Blue! I'll try that sometime today. I can't seem to stay away from you guys! I'm supposed to be packing and what not but hey, I had to check in at least one more time.

Seriouslyme: That was me about the ache in my legs. And yes I'll post when I come back. I'm sure I'll have a lot of reading to do!

And just as a side note, I too, could never stick to anything
that was for weight loss! This time I'm in it for the healing and health--MINE! And low and behold I weigh less now than I have in 13 years. Oh and I'm down another 1/2 lb. Started at 132 and now I'm 126. What I'll regain remains to be seen. I'll let you know.

Boohoo! I can barely say goodbye! I'll see you in a few days.

Hang in and detox those bodies and minds!

Lori
Old 08-22-2003, 04:53 AM   #199
Major LCF Poster!

I forgot to add--does anyone have a hard time reading the main low carb forum? Or the recipe room?? Everyone seems to talk about FOOD all the time!! lololol!
I'll go visiting again when I'm eating food again!

Lori
Old 08-22-2003, 05:38 AM   #200
Seriouslyme

Amazing Day 5

SHS...0

Hi all! I wish I knew the bruhaha...I don't. I have been so busy at work, no time. So I am just 'spreading' a rumor, of which I know precious little. I think something started, got deleted. That's all I know.

I have morning brain fog, and do hope it clears before I get to work.

Belle, cute banner. I like the blue one too. If I would design one (don't know how)...I think I would make i a mystical, magical, healing machine!

Lori..see ya later.

Island Blue, the cloudy urine...is interesting. If you have an infection, your body has very little to do except heal it. How do you feel otherwise? Temp?

My mouth has lost the metal taste, and is just kind of sticky now. I drink water to clear that glue stuff.

VERY good feelings this morning. Day 5 is starting out to be a comfortable day. Last night I got to SHS-2 for about an hour, then it went away.

My arms look 'smaller', my face loooks tired. I know the tired is detox, so I talk to myself and tell me how good I am. Nice English huh?!

Off to do more work, gotta earn that cash, DD needs tuition.

Can't wait to come home and read how things are doing.

Hi you lurkers! How we doin'?

Last edited by Seriouslyme; 08-22-2003 at 05:41 AM..

Old 08-22-2003, 05:42 AM   #201
Seriouslyme

Oh, and BabyPHAT, welcome. Glad you are here. Best wishes as you start your magical mystical healing tour!

Old 08-22-2003, 05:48 AM   #202

Gallery:
Day 5

Day 1 136.0
Day 2 133.5
Day 3 130.5
Day 4 128.0
Day 5 126.5

9.5 pounds in 5 days? OK, this isn't about weight loss , but I just threw on my snug leggings ... and they aren't snug anymore! This is so amazing to me because when I was 318-218, it would take a 15-20 lb loss to see any change in clothing fit.

Hey, has anyone seen Starvation Mode hanging around anywhere, LOL?

Old 08-22-2003, 06:01 AM   #203
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: karat
Stats: 176/176/130
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: Jan 7, 2008
Is it too late to join you guys?

I have read your thread with avid facination. I KNOW I must fast at least 3 days, but my goal is 10. I definitely need the detox; too many internal systems are complaining. I need to prove my resolve that food is not my master. And I am looking forward to more spiritual benefits, as fasting is a part of my faith.

Please, oh please may I fall in with you funny, wonderful people?

BTW, I've started today. Coffee was calling my name, but I walked away smiling!

Karat
Old 08-22-2003, 06:02 AM   #204
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: handicapped91
Start Date: 6/9/03
30 Day Detox

Hi Guys,
Its day 3 for me. I lost another lb and my BS is 79. I feel Ok just tired. I am drinking more water this time and I am not hungry just bord. I ususlly have cramps in my leg at night and would take a lot of calcium for it but since I have been fasting I haven't had any. I looked at the selzer bottol and 0 for everything including salt so I had a glass last night. If I didn't have the support of this group I may not have done this so thanks everyone.

8/20 129
8/21 128
8/22 127
Old 08-22-2003, 06:15 AM   #205

Gallery:
Fasting Folk, this is the weekend, is everyone prepared? Sometimes fasting can be easier at work because you're on the go (some would call it 'stressed', LOL!) The weekend is slower, more free time.

How many are doing to take advantage of their detox and pamper themselves? Sleep, nap, loung on the coach! Anyone having breakouts, those are impurities making their way to the surface -- fasting puts your body into warp speed!

Seriously, good morning! I'm feeling good this morning (must be all the sleep!) and no foot/knee pains. I'm waiting for the next "wave" of detox.

Belle, your banners are adorable!

Lori, I was watching the Food channel yesterday! Can you believe that? I always watch it, but now it just seems ... weird, LOL?

Welcome Julez and BabyPHAT, if you do a substantial fast (more than 3-4 days), you'll definitely have a different outlook on food. If someone does less, I think it tends to have a "rebound" effect where a person might want to eat everything in sight because they're still in the "hungry and icky" phase.

Old 08-22-2003, 06:17 AM   #206

Gallery:
Re: Is it too late to join you guys?

Quote:
Originally posted by karat
I have read your thread with avid facination. I KNOW I must fast at least 3 days, but my goal is 10. I definitely need the detox; too many internal systems are complaining. I need to prove my resolve that food is not my master. And I am looking forward to more spiritual benefits, as fasting is a part of my faith.

Please, oh please may I fall in with you funny, wonderful people?

BTW, I've started today. Coffee was calling my name, but I walked away smiling!

Karat
Karat, grab a glass of water -- you're in!

Old 08-22-2003, 06:39 AM   #207
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AllisonB
Stats: Day of surgery:255/Today:142/Goal:140
Start Date: RNY 8/20/2012
Day 5: I weighed in at 212 this morning.

Day 1 of water fast: 8/18/03: 225 lbs., SHS: 0
Day 2 of water fast: 8/19/03: 220 lbs., SHS: 0
Day 3 of water fast: 8/20/03: 219 lbs., SHS: -1
Day 4 of water fast: 8/21/03: 216 lbs., SHS: 0 (+ 1 egg!)
Day 5 of water fast: 8/22/03: 212 lbs., SHS: 0

That's a 13 lb. loss since Monday. My knees feel fabulous this morning. I had a slight headache when I first got up, but a bottle of water took care of that. My face is no longer greasy, but also no longer dry like it usually is.

After my post last night, I was in bed watching CSI (my favorite too, Kimmer!) and they were talking about a character being diabetic and his stomach being empty, they were summarizing that his blood glucose dropped too low. I'm not sure how that fit in the story, since he didn't cause the crash, but anywho.....I was feeling like total cr*p at that time, absolutely no energy at all. Walking to the bathroom and back wiped me out. So I tested my blood and my glucose was at 34. My husband demanded that I eat something. I was alarmed, so I agreed. He then tried to put an Atkins candy bar in my mouth! Bless his heart. I explained that a sugar-free candy bar made of chemicals probably woundn't help much , and suggested a scrambled egg. That got me up to 70 and now I feel great again. I also stopped at Walgreens this AM and picked up some glucose tablets as an emergency back-up in case I drop too low and I'm not at home.

However, that is the first and so far only episode of complications I have had due to my diabetes, so I'm still in this with my goal of 30 days. If I can't go 30, then I can't. I'm doing this for health and that includes healthily managing my diabetes. I refuse to be the first one to drop dead to appease the nay-sayers!

But as of right now, I feel great, absolutely no hunger (the most amazing part of this for me!), and looking forward to Day 6.

Last edited by AllisonB; 08-22-2003 at 06:42 AM..
Old 08-22-2003, 06:50 AM   #208

Gallery:
Allison, glad you're feeling better! I'm interested though, in the egg raising your blood sugar. Isn't everything we're taught in LC that fat and protein don't provide carbs so they don't raise blood sugar??? I'm not diabetic, so I don't have any first hand knowledge. Are you Type I or Type II? 4 pounds since yesterday? Are you going for the Guiness Book or what, LOL?

Old 08-22-2003, 06:53 AM   #209
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sissy01
Day 5

Someone please tell me how bad this was. I have arthritis pretty badly (I am only 30!). However, last night my hips, legs, and knees hurt SO bad there was no way I could sleep. It even hurt using my foot to drive home from work. I took one Alieve at about 10:30 so I could get some sleep. It worked well, but will that really set back my detox?

I feel great again today. A funny thing though, my toothpaste in the morning tastes SO strong. I never noticed it before. I guess I am just sensitive to tastes.

Day 1 - 166.5
Day 2 - 163
Day 3 - 160
Day 4 - 158
Day 5 - 156

(10.5 pounds in 4 1/2 days is not too shabby).
Old 08-22-2003, 07:04 AM   #210
poupounne

Gallery: poupounne
HI every body! Well I feel like I have to train for this fast I'm way too hungry again today so I'm going to break it today slowly with vege juice and hopefully wait again and restart later but for me just 2 days was so hard ... I know I was in deep ketosis before I started the fast, so I dont'know why so much hunger when I started with the this, so I raise my hat to you all ! Thanks again for all the support