Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2003, 06:31 AM   #91

Gallery:
Good morning Fabulous Fasters!

Day 3

Day 1 136.0
Day 2 133.5
Day 3 130.5

I'm down 3 more pounds, still water. What surprises me is that the water weight is coming in smaller spurts. Usually for me it's a giant "whoosh" at the beginning (8-10 pounds!) with LC, and with Fasting it's going 2-3-?

Was it really a good idea to start a fast on Monday, LOL? I can feel I'm going through the "ickies (beginning detox), my tongue is whiter today than yesterday, my breath (man, if it gets any worse, LOL!) and sleeping! Last night I stayed up to see Nip/Tuck and knocked out (OK), but I always wake up without an alarm clock at 5:00 am, this morning I got up at 6 am and that was only because I turned over and caught the time. I couldn't believe it was time to get up, I could have slept for another 3 hours at least.

Belle, did you make it OK through the night? Don't fight the sleep thing. If you aren't "sleepy" at night, putter around, go on the computer, read a great magazine (the bubblebath was a terrific idea!) Think of a car that's running on cheap gas, it lurches, runs OK, stalls, runs OK ... that's the sleep pattern on detox (even Atkins detox, people post a lot on the main BB about sleep).

Roe, my friend, how are you? Kicking rump on KISS, LOL?

Goal, start when you feel like it. Don't push yourself. Remember Day 1 is the worst! I re-read my posts on this thread for Day 1 and, man, what a whiner, LOL! I don't even recognize those comments.

Pains: Eyes have gone back to sticky in the morning, my 'broken' foot is hurting, my back is VERY oily (what's up with that???), my face has a couple new whiteheads (oh, isn't this lovely?)

I'll post more at work (great, I'm going to get fired over detoxing!)

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2003, 06:40 AM   #92
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AllisonB
Stats: Day of surgery:255/Today:142/Goal:140
Start Date: RNY 8/20/2012
Seriouslyme, I feel for you on the headache, I only had one the morning of Day 2, and it went away once I drank a bottle of water. It was identical to a dehydration headache which surprised me since I had drank 1.5 gallons of water on Day 1! However, I registered a 5 lb. water loss by Day 2, so I guess I *was* dehydrated

As far as my blood glucose readings, I have Type 2 diabetes and pre-LC I tried to control it with medication, Glucophage XR /aka/ Metformin, w/o much success. My diabetes educator and nutritionist had me on a reduced-carb diet of 65 grams per meal!

I also tested my blood 2 to 4 times a day with my trusty Freestyle glucose meter to make sure I stayed within a certain range. I love the Freestyle because it takes the sample from my forearm and not my fingertips. Some people think this is not as accurate, but my doctor tested me in his office on both my meter and his fingertip meter, and there was a difference of about 2 points. Close enough for me! A great site that tells you all about glucose readings is http://www.diabetes-normalsugars.com. I also want to mention that I started LCing after a Type 1 coworker suffered a major stroke 3 years ago, that leaves hims totally and completely handicapped to this day. I also had a high school friend who's Type 2 insulin-dependant mother had one foot and half of the other leg amputated due to complications of diabetes. My last HBA1C test, which measures the hemoglobin to give a picture of how well you have controlled your BG over the previous 3 months, was 5.5. While I would like to see this at 5 or below, anything below 6.0 is considered to be in the non-diabetic range by the ADA. Not sure what Dr. Bernstein says on that. Another poster, KastaDiva, is very knowledgeable about diabetes and would be a better source for an explanation

I'm glad to hear how well everyone is doing!
Old 08-20-2003, 07:12 AM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: handicapped91
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6/9/03
30 Day Detox

Hi Everyone,
I am joining you today. MY family that was visiting took me out to eat yesterday and I had fried clams and french fries and a few bites of a mud pie desert. SORRY, but thats the last time I will mention food. I feel gross today from the sugar and carbs so I am looking forward to this fast. I did a 2 week one a few years ago and did well. I am going for at least a week this time. It is going to be hot and humid for the next few days so I won't be too cold. I froze the last time I fasted in February.

8/20/03 129lbs 59 yrs old 5'2"
Old 08-20-2003, 07:38 AM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sissy01
Hi everyone. I am one of those lurkers. I started the fast on Monday morning. The last thing I ate was on Sunday at 6:00 pm. I did not feel too well on Monday. I had sharp pains in my stomach. I slept a lot that night. Surprisingly, when I woke up Tuesday morning I felt MUCH better.

My hunger right now is non-existent. I have done Stillmans so I was expecting that. I was suprised though, that it only took one day to get into deep ketosis.

I have joint pain quite frequently. This is the one "sypmtom" that has been exaggerated over the last couple of days. I wonder if that has anything to do with detox. Does anyone else have this?

I didn't realize that the 2 GIANT pimples I had yesterday were a detox benefit. How long does that last?

I have support at home from DH. Well, I wouldn't say he is thrilled about it. I told him last week that was starting this on Monday. He kept blowing it off or saying "I think that's great". But I think he didn't think I'd really do it. Last night he expressed a little concern that I am actually going to do it. Not bad, but I think I'll have to continually show him the benefits. I couldn't not tell him what I was doing. DH and I own a company and work together. We spend about 23 hours a day together. He'd catch on pretty quick.

Talk about time on your hands...I read a whole book in my first 2 days of fasting. If anyone wants a recommendation for a good book...The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown was great.

OK, now for my stats. (I'm 5' 7")

Day 1 - 166.5
Day 2 - 163
Day 3 - 160

I have fought to get below 160 for several months now. I can not WAIT to weigh in the AM. I am sure I will be below that ever present 160 mark!!

All the support on this thread is fantastic. And a special thanks to Kimmer for directing me to it.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:07 AM   #95
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Island Blue
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/17/03
DAY 3

[COLOR=blue]Hey - we all made it another day! Good for us!!

I went to bed at 11, expecting deep sleep. Nope, pretty normal night for me. I did have a dream that I was halfway through a cheeseburger and suddenly remembered I was fasting!! I'm interpreting that as a sign that so far this has been a conscious thing, and now my subconscious is buying into it. Anyway, I felt so guilty in my dream, and couldn't imagine how I was going to explain it to all of you!!

I had a couple small pimples yesterday, I don't know if it's detox or just my regular monthly cycle.

Unlike others that are internal furnaces, I'm feeling cold - especially my feet in the evenings. I run around barefoot mostly (I was raised on the beach in So Cal), and this week I've had to curl up in a blanket while watching TV at night. And it's been 97-100 here the last two days. Everyone at work yesterday was sweating, but I was quite comfortable. And I'm usually the first one to "glisten."

My camping chapped lips are healing, but that's typical for two days back home.

One thing, I had sensations of a slight "burning" when I peed yesterday. It feels like the beginnings of a bladder infection (which I've been plagued with for 27 years). I've known my bladder is my most damaged organ, so I'm hoping this is a sign of my body "fixing" it and expelling stored toxins there. I really want my urinary tract healthier, I hope my body understands that! Sorry to be so graphic, but I wanted this documented in case anyone else is having the same symptoms.

Speaking of, I would like to mention that I do not find entries on colonics, bm's, urination, or any bodily function affected by fasting in any way offensive. We are all on a curious and highly individualized journey here. I find the affects fascinating, and we are documenting natural responses to our biological functions. I respect that everyone is gentle in their terminology. I also feel we could be greatly assisting the many lurkers that are with us silently - we may write what they are going through and are having doubts about. JMHO

I'm down 4 pounds. Probably water since I "went" often yesterday. I'm not sure I'm in ketosis yet - I need to find some dang stix I guess.

Oh - I also wanted to mention I am putting lemon in my water at night to help with bm's and cleansing. It also helps my mouth feel fresher when I go to bed. Just a quarter of a fresh lemon squeezed into my 32 oz. jug.

Off to work! Hang in there everybody!![/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]Please pray for our troops, freedom isn't free[/COLOR]

Last edited by Island Blue; 08-20-2003 at 08:09 AM..
Old 08-20-2003, 08:41 AM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Divinity
Stats: 250/233.6/150 (for now)
WOE: K/E or Kimkins...or THE BEST I CAN DO lol
Start Date: 6/13/07
Good Morning

Good Morning Everyone,

Well, today is day one for me. I'm prepared for some pretty intense hunger, but I'm excited to finally start. I'm glad to see some of you went into ketosis pretty quick. I hope for the same for me. I also hope that I can make it through these three days at work without getting so tired I can't hold my head up. I intend to do the hot lemon water at night as well.

Well good luck! Keep posting...it keeps us motivated
Old 08-20-2003, 08:47 AM   #97
Big Yapper!!!!

Island, like you I am not experiencing the "internal furnace", I am freezing! I had the maintenance dept. up to our suite yesterday because it was so cold, and he said "uhh..it's 72 in here". So I had to wear my old red sweater, which did not match my outfit!

At home, I am wearing my winter jammies and socks to bed because I'm so cold.

I also have been using lemon juice in my water at night, and it's like a treat, lol. Since bm's aren't offensive, I will say that I finally had one this morning (after much gas since yesterday afternoon).

Reading about your cheeseburger dream made me think for a minute that I was hungry, but I realized it was that mental thing (I love cheeseburgers, therefore I want one right now!), and I've added it to my mental list of "things I can have when I am done with my fast". It works for me like Kimmers "if I wait, tomorrow I'll be LESS".
Old 08-20-2003, 09:16 AM   #98
Nicurn70

Gallery: Nicurn70
Day 3

Hi to everyone

Still hangin in there. I was barely pink on the strips last nite I haven't checked yet today. Hunger is lessening but it is still there. Comes and goes. I have yet to feel the lack of hunger pains even with atkins so hopefully that will kick in soon.

I have that oily skin thing goin on also. I tried to put my makeup on this morning and it just smeared around. Nice skin is actually one of my assets so not too thrilled with this turn of events. At least no pimples.... yet. I have never had a headache in my life so hopefully that won't be a new thing. But I feel for those of you that do. Yuckmouth persists but seems to clear up ok with brushing.

Not much else I can say. I don't think I have ever really been in touch with my body so its hard to say if wierd things are happening. I just kinda listen to what you guys say and say oh yeah I have that too now that you mention it. No aches and pains so far, no problems sleeping, a little tired last nite but went to bed around 10 my normal time.

I am still trying to decide whether to continue fast this weekend and deal with hubby or to call it after 5 days. We shall see how it goes. He only gets upset because he cares so I guess that is a good thing.

Anyways Keep up the good work friends check in soon.

Jen

Day 1 ..... 216.8
Day 2 .....212.8
Day 3 .....210.4

Old 08-20-2003, 09:22 AM   #99
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Juleemaree
Stats: 217/?/148
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Feb 4, 2003
Hi! I have been reading this and the other fasting threads and think that all of you are AMAZING I would like to try this but am alittle nervous and anxious. Kinda excited to try it but not sure how my body will react ya know??? I find this truly amazing. My reasons for wanting to try are basically to try to make myself aware that food does not have to rule my life, the whole detoxing and cleansing, also the weight loss benefit would be great and my last reason to try it is basically to see if I can. I think I would like to shoot for 1 week, but will just go 1 day at a time. I was thinking of maybe Sunday?? we'll see. anyway even if I dont try fasting I'll say it again, you are all AMAZING
5' 0" 32 yrs old

I must keep saying to myself "I feel so much better when I am eating right, I look so much better, I am so much more confident and my blood pressure is normal. Please, please give me the strength to stick with this."
Old 08-20-2003, 09:24 AM   #100
CLM
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CLM
Hi All. I'm on day 3,I haven't had any problems with hunger,my stomach growls occasionally and I drink water and feel fine. I don't find myself sleeping any different so far but I do go to bed about an hour earlier. I have been cold in the evenings. I don't know if its the fasting or the air conditioner. No one else is cold but me so I can't turn the ac off. I had a light day at work,but the rest of my week is busy so I don't know how much longer I'll be fasting. Have a good day!
Old 08-20-2003, 10:04 AM   #101
poupounne

Gallery: poupounne
day one..I'm hungry!!!!!!!!!!!And I have a headache!!!!Is it gona go away? Not even the end of first day.... water is going in and out quite fast, my husband thinks I'm nut maybe Iam...How funny my DD is eating like she as a hole in her stomach today and she normaly not like that (she's 3) Boy I wish I could just wake up tomorow and not being hungry or just sleep it off until then, you guys are such inspiration.. later

Old 08-20-2003, 10:11 AM   #102
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dorihearn
???'s for y'all

Hi everyone-
I also am a lurker and am amazed by this thread-
I have read about a post that has the detox info on it but I can't find it anywhere... can someone do one of those link thingies so I can read it and jump in with y'all.
Thanks
Dori
Old 08-20-2003, 10:32 AM   #103
Senior LCF Member

Well, I'm kinda' hungry but not really. I have no headache or any other symptoms except multitudes of potty trips. I've now started jotting down the number of bathroom trips I'll make today. I'm just a curious George at heart. I've already gone 7 times

I was wondering if anyone is on daily prescribed medications? If so, are you continuing to take them during the fast? If so, are they the same effectivess?

Good Luck! 12 hours down!
Old 08-20-2003, 10:43 AM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: warmsummerbreeze
Stats: 211.5/176/125 - 199/199/125 - 211/207/125
WOE: Atkins - Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2003/Sept. 15, 2004/Feb. 14, 2005
I can't believe I forgot about this!!!

Okay...I'm here and even though I ate breakfast I'm not waiting until tomorrow to start.

As of now I'm on water.

I'm very excited about doing this and I could just spit i'm so mad about not joining in on Monday.

Okay my stats...5'2", 42 yo 184 lbs

You guys are amazing!!!

Every single one of you are a true inspiration!
Old 08-20-2003, 10:46 AM   #105
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lori42
Stats: 144/128/125
WOE: Moderate carb, whole foods
Start Date: May 2003
Dorihearn~

Here's the link to the O/T Fasting thread:

http://www.low-carb-friends.com/bbs/...5&pagenumber=2

Scroll down to the 3rd post and you'll see Kimmer's post with the links I think you're looking for.
Hth,
Lori
Old 08-20-2003, 11:09 AM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: warmsummerbreeze
Stats: 211.5/176/125 - 199/199/125 - 211/207/125
WOE: Atkins - Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2003/Sept. 15, 2004/Feb. 14, 2005
I'm bored and want to ramble a little, please bare with me.

I went on vacation last week and did not do too bad, sure i went off program and ate a few, okay more then a few things I shouldn't have. Yes I gained a few pounds but as of today I am back down to 184 my pre-vacation weight.

I read some of what I printed off, but by no means did I read everything about fasting I wanted to read, we were having just too much fun on the beach.

When I got back from vacation I was no longer in ketosis but as of yesterday afternoon I was back into it with the beginnings of that metal taste in my mouth. Today it is even worse and there is no hunger...so i'm one step ahead of the game with the fasting I think.

I look forward to reading everyone's comments and reactions to what is going on.

Good luck and happy fasting!

"We are all capable of infinitely more than we believe. We are stronger and more resourceful than we know, and we can endure much more than we think we can. In truth, the only restrictions on our capacity to astonish ourselves and each other are imposed by our own minds." ?David Blaine
Old 08-20-2003, 11:49 AM   #107

Gallery:
Well, now I'm just bored with the water (but at least I don't hate it anymore, LOL!) Lower belly rumblings, I'm sure that's detox. Let's see what happens (TMI I know!)

Poupounne, yes it goes away. Day 1 is the hardest (read my whining on page 1 of this thread!)

CLM, normally I'm "hot" all the time, I even run my car's A/C in the winter, but when I fast things cool down a lot except now because it's so warm in southern California.

Julee, the best bet is to read as much as you can. Lori42 was kind enough to post my links from the other fasting thread. There are books also, my favorite being Dr. Paul Bragg, The Miracle of Fasting. If you're nervous, you can try 1-2 days, but then you'll only get the "icky" feeling and hunger before the payoff -- and depending on how toxic your body is, it could take awhile.

Old 08-20-2003, 12:00 PM   #108
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dorihearn
THANKS!!

YOU ARE THE BEST---
thanks again
I am really excited about this.....
Dori
Old 08-20-2003, 12:19 PM   #109
poupounne

Gallery: poupounne
Thanks, Kimmer !!! I feel like my tongue is about 3 times it's normal size ...what else....I'm hungry!!!!!! later every body

Old 08-20-2003, 12:34 PM   #110
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Juleemaree
Stats: 217/?/148
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Feb 4, 2003
Kimmer,

Thanks for the reply, I did read alot on the other fasting thread, I was getting very long though. I would like to go to the library to check out a fasting book, possibly this weekend. The more I think about this I really do think I am going to start on this sunday and just go day by day and see how it goes. Are you going to start a new thread weekly or just keep adding to this???

Have you noticed how many people are actually reading and lurking here?? 2000+people, wow everyone finds this interesting.

Hope everyone's day is going well, I guess most of you are on day 3, its almost over, congratulations!!!27 more to go!!

Old 08-20-2003, 12:43 PM   #111

Gallery:
Julee, we decided to keep just the 1 thread and then people post which day they're on. I hope this doesn't get too long, it makes it harder to navigate ... oh well, we'll suffer!

Whomever asked about taking meds, I think everyone is doing their own thing on that. I'm taking my Synthroid because I figure it's just replacing whatever should be there naturally and isn't. I'm not taking any vitamins, iron pills or milk thistle.

Poupounne, just drink MORE water and do the best you can to get through the day. Many of us went to sleep early on Day 1 just get to Day 2 (less hunger, better feeling) ASAP!

Old 08-20-2003, 12:52 PM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goal160
Stats: 234/221/160 b4 pregnancy..........236 to 205 after
WOE: low carb
Start Date: restart- 2/21/07
OK YALL, Today all im going to take in is rotisserie chicken and water, so within the next day or two i'll be ready for water only!! Im getting ready to do this,so i'll be here in 1-2 days posting what im going through too with the fasting.....yippee!
Old 08-20-2003, 12:58 PM   #113
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LilOleBelle
Stats: UCK !!!!
WOE: Low-Carb WOE
Start Date: T O S O !!!!!
Oh, Myyyyyyyyyyyy

A Big HELLO and a

Big

To EVERYONE thath has joined us....
You are going to love it here...
No pressure, no smirks, no insulting, no NOTHING, not even FOOD...

Just PURE, LOVE, HONEST KINDNESS, RESPECT, DEDICATION BABYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Always Belle
Old 08-20-2003, 01:00 PM   #114
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: GwnStfni
Stats: 231/168.4/131
WOE: Atkins & Stillman's
Start Date: Restart 02/13/2010
This is an interesting challenge and I give props to anyone who lasts 21+ days. I did a water fast about a year ago but only made it to day 7. It's difficult to fast when others in the household are eating huge meals in front of you.

I have a question though... what are you all doing about cleaning yourselves out downstairs? I hate this word but you know the E word. enema. I found that by adding a sprinkle of cayenne pepper to my water every couple of days helped with that issue to an extent. I suppose any true long term detox should involve the E word.
Original Stats (6/9/03): 275/147 (128lbs lost)
Old 08-20-2003, 01:08 PM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: evanbeck
Stats: 242/190/150
WOE: LC/Atkins
Start Date: 1st start 8/2002 - new start 12/1/03
Questions

HI there - I'm a confessed lurker with many questions. My primary concern is how a water fast affects your blood sugar levels. I REALLY struggle with hypoglycemia and am afraid of going topsy-turvy with this. Second - do I understand that water is it? No vitamins, tea, or anything else right? I have typically not made it past one day of a fast so I'm trying to muster the willpower if this is what I feel led to do. I KNOW I need to detox. I did great on Atkins for 6 months up until last Christmas and have been hanging in limbo, slowly gaining back since then so a fast to shake me up seems appropriate but I'm afraid to fail again as well. Also - how do you cook for your family and not lick the spoons or taste a bit?? It seems like torture at this point, and the first few days probably are but.........if it's really worth it, I'll do it. I've dropped over 50 pounds but would like to realistically lose another 40-50 so any help would be appreciated. I know you've heard all these questions before but please humor me. Thanks!

God Bless!

"You cannot change or heal what you do not acknowledge" - author unknown
Old 08-20-2003, 01:11 PM   #116
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lori42
Stats: 144/128/125
WOE: Moderate carb, whole foods
Start Date: May 2003
Anybody not watching TV? Too many food commercials!! lol

I have to start cooking for my 2 kids and husband. Having to cook 3 plus times a day is hard sometimes! Anyone else with a family to feed? Plus a dog!

I actually feel better today. Not as hungry and a bit more energy (day 3 for me).

My legs are sore (like I did a strenuous workout--which I did not) and I noticed some bumps on my arms near my elbows. Just thought I'd share.

Lori
Old 08-20-2003, 01:12 PM   #117
Senior LCF Member

O'kay, now, I think its my turn to ramble uncontrollablyyyyyyy

Did I spell that right?????

Brain fog, here is kicking in again, but I'll get through it..

Question, and don't laugh, can we when we put our lemon [ for those of us, that is doing that] in our water, can we put a small amount of splenda in there too?
FOR THE TASTE
And can we drink that all day long?
Just to add varity....

KIMMER, you are the EXPERT !!! HELP !!!!!!

I feel that I may lose it, if I don't spice this water up just a bit...

But if its a nooooo, then I will understand and I wll get through this..
I promise..
With my Perious Heavenly Fathers, guide, love, grace, light, wisdom, prayer and strength.....

I look forward to your reply, eagerly....
Always Belle
Old 08-20-2003, 01:19 PM   #118
Senior LCF Member

Lori42

I hear you about the family thing....
I have 3 sons, ages 8-10- and 12 an of course a husband that I have to cook for, and smell that food, watch them eating, an eveything else, that comes with cooking for your familyyyyyyy .

It is hard, so maybe we can grip about it together
HaHa!
I'l lend you my ear, if you'll lend me yours??????

Always Belle

Last edited by LilOleBelle; 08-20-2003 at 01:27 PM..
Old 08-20-2003, 01:27 PM   #119
Senior LCF Member

Hello...anybody out there??????

I'm hungry...not starving...I just want food. I guess I should follow my own advice and remember "this too shall pass". Thanks, Kimmer, for saying that most of you just tried to get through day one and went to bed early. Does this mean day two is better? I think I can make it with the knowledge of only having a few more hours.

Anyway, I'm going to hang in there. They had their monthly birthday celebration at lunch here at work. Spaghetti...well I'll spare us the details Anyway, I went to the park and read out of my spiritual affirmation book. Speaking of which, LilOleBell, I love your quotes and sayings and just your way of expression in general. So thanks. It's really inspiring!

Good luck to you all! Welcome all newcomers (and lurkers)! We can do this!

"Do not wait for your ship to come in,
get in your boat and row out."

~Thou in me art Inspiration, Revelation and Illumination~
Old 08-20-2003, 01:38 PM   #120
Big Yapper!!!!

I only have to cook for my husband (my choice, he offered to do it for the duration of the fast - he is the greatest! - and he's also a better cook), and I've had no problems because I've had no appetite. He even commented that I feed him better when I'm not eating But I was fortunate and hit ketosis immediately. Hang in there, it gets easier!