Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2003, 02:12 PM   #781
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AllisonB
Stats: Day of surgery:255/Today:142/Goal:140
Start Date: RNY 8/20/2012
Today is Day 7 (I started last Sunday), and I'm breaking today. I'm back down to 206 (where I was when I broke my 13-day fast, before gaining back 14 lbs.). True to Kimmers advice, I am being honest with myself that at this point I am doing it for weight loss only, and from here out I am doing strict Stillman's. When I get to goal I will continue my life on Atkins maintenance.

I'm still going to read the fasting thread(s) regularly, so hang in there everyone, and keep us all up tp date! And where the heck is Belle?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2003, 08:32 PM   #782
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: GwnStfni
Stats: 231/168.4/131
WOE: Atkins & Stillman's
Start Date: Restart 02/13/2010
AllisonB, we appreciate your honesty. I am curious though as to why you gained so much back. Did you have some cheats? Do you hold a lot of water? I lost 9lbs on my 5 day fast and over a week later I have held it all off. I am planning another fast soon though.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:13 AM   #783
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lori42
Stats: 144/128/125
WOE: Moderate carb, whole foods
Start Date: May 2003
Just wanted to drop in and say hi! before the kid's go to school.

I'm doing my 36er starting tonight. Anyone else?

Carrol~ Never heard of this book--let us know how it is!

believer170~ Some of us do this for the weightloss, some for the detox. Have you read the links Kimmer posted at the beginning of this thread? They are very helpful in answering questions you might have. I don't take vitamins during fasting because they upset my stomach. This 30 day detox is almost over (most of us haven't done it for a full 30 days.). Alot of us do a 36er (36 hours weekly--say Monday night till Wednesday morning). There is a 7 day fast coming up. It begins September 28th to October 4th if you're interested. Please read the links!! It'll help alot.

GApeach~ Maybe it's time to break the fast? Go take a nap!

AlisonB~Hang in there and let us know how it's going.

GwnStfni~ We're doing our 7 day fast starting Sept 28th--you in?

Talk to you all later!

Lori
Old 09-15-2003, 05:57 AM   #784
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AllisonB
Stats: Day of surgery:255/Today:142/Goal:140
Start Date: RNY 8/20/2012
Quote:
Originally posted by GwnStfni
AllisonB, we appreciate your honesty. I am curious though as to why you gained so much back. Did you have some cheats? Do you hold a lot of water? I lost 9lbs on my 5 day fast and over a week later I have held it all off. I am planning another fast soon though.
TOM figured in there at the beginning of this last fast, so that may have accounted for ~5 lbs. of water (the amount I usually hold at that time), and despite my committment to "KISS" when I broke my fast, that lasted for 1 whole day. I have stayed away from cream cheese, all "legal treats", and things like LC bread and other LC substitutes, but I was eating alot of cheese, mayo, etc. Since I lost it all again in the last week, I'm assuming it was mainly water. I can tell in my hands and feet that I have lost water.

I've found info on the original, hardcore Stillmans and that's what I'm going to do until I get to goal (I've also lowered my goal weight, as ****** tells me that my original goal of 170 is still overweight for my height). I have the best intentions, anyhow. I'll probably morph it into Kimmers "Stillkins" down the road. As of this morning, I have lost another lb. and I'm at 205. I am so giddy at almost being in the 100's that I can't stand it!
Old 09-15-2003, 06:45 AM   #785
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: carbaddict33
Stats: 40 pounds gone forever!
WOE: lo-carb
Start Date: 8/25/03
I officially ended my 72 hour fast Saturday with some beef broth and finally the egg drop soup. thanks for whomever posted that recipe. It was very good. I finished the bowl of soup and couldn't believe how my energy level increased. I felt great. I had eggs for breakfast Sunday before church and then started back on solid foods. I haven't had any processed food yet. I lost 7.5 pounds and have gained back two so far. I can definately tell my stomach shrank.. .which was a goal since I could really put a meal down. And I'm conscious about what I'm consuming. I was really tempted to have coffee Sunday morning, even poured a cup for myself, but ultimately did not drink it. I'm planning to do another fast, this time a 7 day fast. I think it will be too soon to participate in the 7 day fast challenge in two weeks. Perhaps anyone planning one for October?

Thanks to all that supported me on this board. It helps to know your out there too!
Old 09-15-2003, 07:08 AM   #786

Gallery:
Good morning fasters!

Just wanted to post an odd thing. I've been regaining my weight, still have about 6 more pounds to get back up to goal -- but the weight hasn't returned to my hips! That's always the hardest (last) place for me to lose and I can still fit in my "too small" office chair without touching the sides! Isn't that weird?

Hello all, good fasting day!

Old 09-15-2003, 10:08 AM   #787
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Nady
Good Morning everyone~
I started a 36er last night~ still hanging in there~ I want to keep doing these since with each short fast, I see more improvement in my skin. For me, it always shows on my skin~ usually the palms of my hands. Right now, they are so improved that with a little hand lotion, they look and feel normal! I love it!
Have a great day ~
~~~N
Old 09-15-2003, 10:29 AM   #788
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: barbarella67
Stats: 280/212/159(healthy BMI) 5'7"
WOE: WLS/Lower carb diet
Start Date: HW 6/13/05 - Surgery 9/22/05
Hello all!

I had intended to fast until Wed - 1 week. Last night I was making chicken stock, for when I break the fast - I was chopping carrots and nearly chopped off my thumb! I was so dumb, it was in the way. Probably should have gone and got stitches, as it is still bleeding today I got really lightheaded and felt like I was gonna throw up so dbf made me eat something. I had been making chicken noodle soup for dd's dinner - so he finished it and I drank a cup of the broth and laid down for a bit. Later, when I was finishing up my stock - I had 2 cups of that and a couple of bites of chicken (needed to make sure it was done, lol) but that was it. So I made it almost 4 days!!
Today I am trying to fast again, but I don't know if I will be able to hold out. I've lost 12#, and I feel so good about my self today. I really didn't think I could do it. This thread is what inspired me - Thanks so much!!
Old 09-15-2003, 01:03 PM   #789
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Island Blue
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/17/03
Quote:
Originally posted by barbarella67
Hello all!

I had intended to fast until Wed - 1 week. Last night I was making chicken stock, for when I break the fast - I was chopping carrots and nearly chopped off my thumb! I was so dumb, it was in the way. Probably should have gone and got stitches, as it is still bleeding today.

I feel so good about my self today. I really didn't think I could do it. This thread is what inspired me - Thanks so much!!
[COLOR=blue] Oh g-r-e-a-t. I can just hear the PG now: "See! Fasting causes physical harm!"

But then there are those last 3 little sentences...

Never mind, they won't read those. It would totally disprove their theory!!

Looking forward to the 28th! Rock on to all those still fasting![/COLOR]
Old 09-15-2003, 01:35 PM   #790
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: barbarella67
Stats: 280/212/159(healthy BMI) 5'7"
WOE: WLS/Lower carb diet
Start Date: HW 6/13/05 - Surgery 9/22/05
LMAO@Island blue hahahaha!!!!!!!!
Old 09-15-2003, 02:40 PM   #791
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: believer170
WOE: experimenting
Start Date: Aug 28 2004
will this slow down my metabolism?? dont you need food to rev it up? please help im confused
Old 09-15-2003, 02:52 PM   #792

Gallery:
Believer, your metabolism slows when fasting, then levels out. When you return to eating solid food, your metabolism will rise again to your before-fasting level. The amount the metabolism slows still allows a very rapid weight loss.

Not to harp on it, but you really should read the links on Page 1. All of your questions are explained, and much better than I can do it. You might also read the first 20 pages of this post because metabolism and 'starving' have been covered. I believe you posted on the main BB that you need to lose a certain amount of weight by a certain time for the military? You shouldn't try to water fast if you aren't sure you know what you're doing and why. {HUG}

Nady, want to know the weirdest thing? My skin has been 'shedding' all over my body! It started during the fast so I figured detox. Well, I'm shedding just as much now -- not that you can see it, but in the shower when you rub soap on your arms, legs or whatever, the skin is just peeling off. It's nice to get rid of the dead skin, naturally, but how much could I have? It's like my skin manufacturing is in hyper mode!

Barbarella, if your brain hadn't been 'starved' by fasting you never would have done that, LOL! Sorry you cut yourself, kitchen cuts hurt!

Old 09-15-2003, 04:41 PM   #793

Kimmer~ I still think fasting 'resets' the body~ back to optimum levels. Maybe you're just starting to work the 'right' way now!
~~~N
Old 09-16-2003, 08:02 AM   #794
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Lori, Yes I am in for the 7 day fast. However, I may start the fast a couple of days early. I've committed myself to this tournament thing here in Phoenix for the first week of Oct. It's a shooting tournament which means for 6 whole days, I'll be working outside under the hot Arizona sun. I just don't think it's an appropriate time for me to be fasting so I'm going to start out a week early.

Barbarella, good job with the fast!! You made great progress!
Old 09-16-2003, 08:29 AM   #795

Gallery: Kose
hey fasters!

i've been on strict stillmans since i broke my 3 day fast and i'm continuing my fast tomorrow.

i was wondering anyone of your family members found out that you were fasting? my daughter just asked me today if i was fasting. i guess she found out the 3 day fast and i explained to her how the detox works. she seems quite interested in fasting too. what do you guys suggest? she has this growth on her toe that hurts time to time and i was wondering maybe fasting could help her.

ah well, maybe i'll get her to do a diluted veggie juice fast? but then again, detox doesn't take place.
Old 09-16-2003, 11:49 AM   #796

Gallery:
Kose, how old is your daughter? I don't think fasting is good for kids/teenagers, but if she's "all growed up" a few days won't hurt her!

Gwn, no, fasting in the hot sun probably isn't a good idea, LOL! (Although Dr. Bragg did a 20 mile hike in Death Valley during a fast, but he was 'different' than we are, I think?)

Old 09-16-2003, 05:19 PM   #797
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally posted by GwnStfni
Hi Lori, Yes I am in for the 7 day fast. However, I may start the fast a couple of days early. I've committed myself to this tournament thing here in Phoenix for the first week of Oct. It's a shooting tournament which means for 6 whole days, I'll be working outside under the hot Arizona sun. I just don't think it's an appropriate time for me to be fasting so I'm going to start out a week early.
I'm sure this is fine, Gwn! This thread will be closing by the 18th. I guess we can just have a weekly fasting thread however long anyone does fast will be up to them.

Almost done with my 36er!

Lori
Old 09-17-2003, 07:46 AM   #798
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

GOOD MORNING FASTERS!

[COLOR=blue]I'm ready for the 28th too! I'm cooking dinner for DD's sorority ("starving college students") on the 27th, but I'll be home on the 28th raring to go! I'm still struggling with UTI issues, so I'm consulting my doctor first (*GASP!*). I may do a pre-fast flight of antibiotics if he approves.

You're all doing GREAT! And WHERE IS BELLE?[/COLOR]

Last edited by Island Blue; 09-17-2003 at 02:44 PM..
Old 09-17-2003, 09:24 AM   #799
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Evangelina
Day 23 and Still going strong

I haven't checked in for a while, work and a new employee I'm training have kept me so busy!!!!

I'm officially in the middle of day 23. I've probably lost about 25 lbs total, I really don't know, nothing fits. I quit weighing a couple of weeks ago.

What am I going to do about clothes!!!! Heavens, I have to be in Toronto for a meeting in a few weeks!!!!

What a terrible problem to have I guess!

I have really been obsessed about food smells. I love to smell things now.

The killer is going to be tonight at the fair....how can I see the funnel cakes and curly fries and corndogs!!??? Sorry...

Is anyone still going on to 30 with me? This thread is going to be shut down as of tomorrow I guess so I wish you all well and I'm so glad to be a part of this group even though I didn't get to know all of you as I would have liked!

Now what will I read for encouragement???!!!!!

Love
Evangelina
Old 09-17-2003, 09:27 AM   #800

Good Morning everyone!
Wow~ Today's the last day on this thread! So, tomorrow we start a weekly thread?

I'm doing a 36er today~ these seem to be working for me~ I'm really getting my eating/cravings under control. Funny how fast the anxiety of food choices disappears when the only option is 'none'!

Everyone have a great day!
~~~N
Old 09-17-2003, 10:41 AM   #801
Major LCF Poster!

Nady~
I can hardly believe it! The last day. It makes sense to start a new thread.
That's great about your eating and cravings. I wish I could say the same for me. I've been feeling out of control ever since I discovered a thin crust pizza recipe from the bb.

Oh I picked up another fasting book by Dr. Herbert M. Shelton. It's called "Fasting Can Save Your Life". It looks good.

Happy Fasting!

Lori

Last edited by Lori42; 09-17-2003 at 06:26 PM..
Old 09-17-2003, 10:48 AM   #802
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: handicapped91
Start Date: 6/9/03
30 Day Detox

Hi Guys,
Still maintaining my weight (122). Been doing a 36er every week and loving it. What will be the name of the new thread so I can read and join in?
Old 09-17-2003, 11:13 AM   #803
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenniferg
Stats: 165/165/140
Start Date: Oct 2004
Hey Nady! I saw your post on this thread about you doing a 36 hour water fast once a week. And you said that it gets your cravings/eating under control. That is exactly what I would like to do! How long have you been doing it and how much of an effect has it had on your weightloss and your appetite for the rest of the week? Thanks!
Jen
Old 09-17-2003, 11:35 AM   #804
Senior LCF Member

One more question I forgot to ask - I am considering starting a fast next Monday (Sept 22) and was wondering if anyone would be starting one then? I haven't decided if I should do a 3 day, 5 day or 7 day fast. I'm still doing research on fasting.
Thanks!
Jen
Old 09-17-2003, 12:40 PM   #805
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

jenniferg, I am starting my fast on Monday as well. I've got a commitment for the first week of Oct. so I've been planning on starting a week before everyone else. So I'll start Monday with you! I'll look for you in the new fasting thread. We can post our stats and help support each other throughout our fast, however long that may be
Old 09-17-2003, 12:56 PM   #806
Senior LCF Member

GwnStfni - Thanks for your reply!! I'm a little bit nervous about doing a fast that lasts for more than 1 day. I did a 24 hour one a couple of months ago and it really helped with being able to distinguish appetite from true hunger. But that's the longest one I've done! Have you fasted before?
Supporting each other during our fast will be great!! I'll make sure to post on the fasting thread. I'll look for it tomorrow. Are you doing anything in preparation for the fast? What phase of Atkins are you on right now?

Thanks!!
Jennifer
Old 09-17-2003, 01:15 PM   #807
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jennifer, I'm on induction right now. Have been from the beginning. I highly suggest you be in deep ketosis when starting the fast b/c it will help tremendously with the cravings.

I have fasted several times over the last couple of years but never for more then 7 days. That's like my breaking point! I'm sure if I could make it longer then 7 days I'd really feel the benefits of detoxing. I fasted last month and lost 9lbs in 5 or 6 days. I think I broke the fast on the 6th day? Anyway, I went right back into induction and kept every single pound off

Right now I'm just eating induction level carbs. Trying to stay away from processed meats or PB for the next couple of days to make sure I'm in heavy ketosis.

One important thing to remember and I didn't know this until someone mentioned it here on this thread... You don't need to drink a gallon of water a day. It's not like low-carbing. I guess I assumed I would need to drink a lot of water but someone pointed out that you're just flushing away alot of electrolytes (which now makes sense). That may be why I've never been able to go past 7 days? Just drink water as you find yourself thirsty. With induction, I drink at least 1 gallon per day.

Well, I guess that's about it. If you read through all the pages you'll probably find tons of useful information!

This time around I am aiming for 5-7 days.
Original Stats (6/9/03): 275/147 (128lbs lost)
Old 09-17-2003, 02:52 PM   #808
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Re: Day 23 and Still going strong

Quote:
Originally posted by Evangelina
I haven't checked in for a while, work and a new employee I'm training have kept me so busy!!!!

I'm officially in the middle of day 23. I've probably lost about 25 lbs total, I really don't know, nothing fits. I quit weighing a couple of weeks ago.

What am I going to do about clothes!!!! Heavens, I have to be in Toronto for a meeting in a few weeks!!!!

What a terrible problem to have I guess!

I have really been obsessed about food smells. I love to smell things now.

The killer is going to be tonight at the fair....how can I see the funnel cakes and curly fries and corndogs!!??? Sorry...

Is anyone still going on to 30 with me? This thread is going to be shut down as of tomorrow I guess so I wish you all well and I'm so glad to be a part of this group even though I didn't get to know all of you as I would have liked!

Now what will I read for encouragement???!!!!!

Love
Evangelina
[COLOR=blue]STAY WITH US! We're just closing this thread because it started as a 30-day challenge and that's finished tomorrow. We've picked up some folks along the way, and we all want to stay together!

We're going to start a WEEKLY thread to continue the detox challenge without a time limit. So you should definitely post on the weekly threads with us!!

Some are doing shorter fasts, some are doing longer, we need a new thread to accomodate everyone.

OKAY EVERYBODY - I propose "WEEKLY DETOX" as the title of our new thread. Anybody have a better idea? I'm nervous about the flamers attacking us if the word "fast" is in our title.

Also, there are some rumblings over on the Lobby of folks interested in fasting - there is a whole Master Cleanse group forming! And so far (it's been a whole day!) - no flaming!!!

GO FIGURE! Maybe they decided to actually READ before they started attacking again...

ROCK ON FASTERS![/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]Please pray for our troops, freedom isn't free[/COLOR]
Old 09-17-2003, 02:54 PM   #809
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally posted by jenniferg
One more question I forgot to ask - I am considering starting a fast next Monday (Sept 22) and was wondering if anyone would be starting one then? I haven't decided if I should do a 3 day, 5 day or 7 day fast. I'm still doing research on fasting.
Thanks!
Jen
[COLOR=blue]Jennifer - I'll do a 36er Sunday night to Tuesday noon - join me! You can go longer too, there are people fasting everyday![/COLOR]
Old 09-17-2003, 03:30 PM   #810
Major LCF Poster!

I'm so excited!! So many people so much support. This is great.

Island Blue~ Weekly Detox sounds great! That way anyone can fast as little or as long as they want but we're all in one place to give support. I don't think there ARE that many flamers anymore. As you said more and more people are asking about this and quite a few lurkers have read the fasting threads and can see for themselves we're not 'dead' from starvation but feeling pretty darn good!

Evangelina~ We'll still be here for you!! I'm soo impressed!

Anyone hear from Belle??

Lori