Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2003, 10:16 AM   #751
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: carbaddict33
Stats: 40 pounds gone forever!
WOE: lo-carb
Start Date: 8/25/03
Quote:
Originally posted by Nady

I gained weight with my pregnancies and when I returned to my 'old' eating habits, had no problems losing it. Then I started with the middle age spread~ about age 35. I noticed that I was picking up a pound or two here and there~ until I was about 15 pounds overweight. I wanted to do it 'right' and everyone told me *Breakfast is the most important meal of the day* so I started eating breakfast. Well, it's been a weight rollercoaster ever since!

Between the breakfast eating and the low fat lie, I managed to mess up my immune system, grow to about 50 pounds overweight, and just in general, age internally way more than I should have. Everyone says I don't look my age~ but I sure do feel it~ often I feel older.

I'm doing these fasts because I want my health back~ I want my body back~ I want my lack of obsession over food back! I blame myself for listening to the 'experts' that led my down the wrong path, but now, I just need to get back to basics, back to what has always worked for me.

~~~N
Nady, sounds like you and I have a very similar history. I bought the low fat lie hook, line and sinker. Now it's like moving mountains for me to lose weight and keep it off. I'm fasting for the same reasons you are. I'm mid way through day 2, and it's a little tough at moments. The hunger thoughts come and go. It's almost like being in labor. There is a contraction, then a break, then the next one comes on stronger. contraction meaning hunger pain or mental hunger pain. I will definately be drawing on you guys for support. I want to make it until next Wednesday. We'll see.

Oh, I wanted to mention other things too. I am totally evacuated and urine is clear. .totaly. Don't know what that means. I lost 3.5 pounds since yesterday, and according to the keto sticks, I'm in deep ketosis. I gagged on my breath this morning as I brushed my teeth and tongue. I thought I had dug up and snacked on what my dogs leave in the back yard! My tongue had what looked like a coffee stain (though I haven't drank coffee since induction.) It was a pale color and I noticed a couple of ulcers, but no pain. Overnight, I broke out in tiny little whiteheads all over my chest . .looks like a rash. Detox is a beautiful thing! I still feel pretty good (though cold in my extremeties).

Hang in there. I'm with ya!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2003, 10:20 AM   #752
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Hey Nancy,

you snuck in on me! I wanted to say welcome... we can get each other through this. I found for my first day to stay away from food and no commecials help me with my mental hunger. I too am an emotional eater. Like Dr. Phil says, you don't break a habit, you replace it with something else. I found that when i'm having an emotional moment, I take a walk instead of heading for the fridge. I hope you find something for you that will help replace the emotional eating habit.

cheers!
Old 09-11-2003, 10:35 AM   #753
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Nady
Quote:
Originally posted by carbaddict33
I still feel pretty good (though cold in my extremeties).
Sounds like you're doing good~ I would just like to remind you that feeling cold is a symptom of dehydration/electrolyte imbalance. I suggest you supplement with some unprocessed sea salt like Celtic or Trader Joe's Coarse Sea Salt and take potassium supplements.

Also, when not eating, it really isn't necessary to drink as much water~ about 3 liters a day is plenty~ too much just washes your electrolytes out, and with no supplementation or food sources, you can become deficient quickly!

If you want some more info about salt and how to use it, I'll post the links!
HTH
~~~N

Last edited by Nady; 09-11-2003 at 10:36 AM..
Old 09-11-2003, 10:35 AM   #754
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

for those of you that have finished your fasts (3, 6,16, 30 days). What was it like when you completed? I'm assuming you eased back into eating solids, but could you feel the difference? And how about the rest of your weight loss journey? Are you losing at a different rate? Are you able to control your appetite better? Temptations? Portion control better? for those that lost weight during the fast, did it come back on (even if you stayed lo carb?). will you fast again?

I am especially interested in those that have gone for longer periods. 16 days, 30 days, or in between. Please share your personal experience. What are your plans now?

I for one think I'll do a quarterly 7 day fast.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:37 AM   #755
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Thanks. I'd heard that before. I have potassium at home, I'll be sure to take a dose today when I get home from work. I'm also switching to room temperature water instead of iced water. thanks!
Old 09-11-2003, 11:28 AM   #756
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lori42
Stats: 144/128/125
WOE: Moderate carb, whole foods
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by AllisonB
Does anyone know the actual origin of pierrogies? My great-grandma had our family believing they were German (she was from Germany) and we always called it Pierrogen, and then I read somewhere that they were Polish - and now Italian? She also used to make something she called 'Poucha', which was basically a bread dough crust filled with mashed potatoes and cheese, then baked. Pretty much a Perrogie Pot-Pie! My sister married into a big Italian family and she stays thin even with the huge, starchy, carby meals!
AllisonB~ My MIL is Italian and my FIL is Polish (and a few other things!) so who knows where it comes from! lol And my 2 SIL's are sooo skinny and eat it ALL! So I know what you mean. It makes you sick, lol! But I actually had my SIL call ME skinny! That was nice.

Quote:
Originally posted by lovinatkins

Allison- My family is Slovac and Russian but I have no idea where pierogies originated. We also eat something I can't spell, but I will try to phonetically, it's called piegachi. It is dough rolled into a circle like a pizza with a thin layer of either potato or cabbage filling. Then another layer of dough is put on top. You baste it with butter and salt and bake it in a hot over for a short while. It comes out looking like a big shiny pizza crust and then you cut it into triagles, put some melted browned butter and salt and eat it. It is my favorite food in the universe, even better than pierogie!
Lovinatkins~ This is how my MIL makes her pierogies!! Small world huh?

Hey, Island good to hear from you! I can't wait for the 7 day fast September 28th!

Nady~ Just do the best you can--remember it's all good.

carbaddict33~ When I finished my 3 day fast I took about 2 days with liquids (chicken broth and fresh veggie juices) and when I started eating solid food I was tired at first (I believe it was due to digestion) but by the 3rd day or so I had such great energy! And my workouts were fabulous. Especially my strength portions.

handicapped91~ I plan on watching Dr. Phil. I'm curious to hear about his plan for the overweight. I like him but I'm not sure if this his area of expertise.

And I have to say a BIG thank you for whoever (sorry I don't remember who!) recommended Joel Fuhrman's fasting book. This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. And get this: he practices medicine about 45 minutes from where I live! If I ever need him I'll be calling for sure.

Lori
(sorry I wrote a book! )
Old 09-11-2003, 12:21 PM   #757
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: GwnStfni
Stats: 231/168.4/131
WOE: Atkins & Stillman's
Start Date: Restart 02/13/2010
How much longer for the 7 day fast? I can't wait. I'm still holding at 215/216 which means I haven't gained any of the weight back. I do however feel bloated but TOM is here. Looking forward to the end of September fast!
Old 09-11-2003, 01:35 PM   #758
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally posted by GwnStfni
How much longer for the 7 day fast? I can't wait. I'm still holding at 215/216 which means I haven't gained any of the weight back. I do however feel bloated but TOM is here. Looking forward to the end of September fast!
September 28th to October 4th. And congrats on maintaining your weightloss!!

Lori
Old 09-11-2003, 01:48 PM   #759
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: barbarella67
Stats: 280/212/159(healthy BMI) 5'7"
WOE: WLS/Lower carb diet
Start Date: HW 6/13/05 - Surgery 9/22/05
I started today - anyone else out there who is starting a fast today?

It's 1:45 and I'm not feeling any hunger The last food I had was tomato & cucumber slices and avocado with salt & pepper - last night at 6:15. Wasn't hungry in the evening and really the only time I've been hungry today is when an office across the hall had food for some celebration - and my coworkers were just outside my door talking about how good it was. But I just chugged more water and was fine in a few minutes. I miss my coffee most - I am really foggy now! I have had 3 liters of water and going to refill my bottle now.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:23 PM   #760
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ohsque
Stats: 262 | 260 | 180
WOE: simply low carb...
Start Date: 08/26/2013
Hi y'all..
Just wanted to post an update on me... I've only gained 4 of my 26.5 fasting pounds back! So, I am tickled to death!

I'm gonna do the 7 day fast with y'all on the 28th...will you all be posting on the 36'er thread?

anyhooo, I've eased right into a low carb style of eating with no cravings or problems what so ever. I feel great- and have my full energy back...

Just wanted to share... and wish you all well!
Old 09-11-2003, 02:42 PM   #761
MarineBabe

Gallery: MarineBabe
I am going to try this just because I think it's a good idea to fast to gain control over your body and your mind.

My one hesitation is, I'm such a fanatic about having things in my mouth (probably part of the reason I'm a diet to begin with .) So, if I fast, that means no gum, right?

Old 09-11-2003, 04:12 PM   #762
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ohsque

I'm gonna do the 7 day fast with y'all on the 28th...will you all be posting on the 36'er thread?
We'll probably end this thread by the 18th (that's the 30th day of this challenge). I was thinking we could have a weekly thread--36er's--and just incorporate the 7 day fast into that. What do you think? And way to go on maintaining that loss!!

MarineBabe~ You could chew gum if you want but it might start those digestive juices flowing! I just drink plain water (with some sea salt if needed.) That's it. But you have to decide what's best for you. Did you read some of the links Kimmer posted at the beginning of this thread? I found it very helpful and informative.

Hth,
Lori
Old 09-11-2003, 05:32 PM   #763
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: GwnStfni
Stats: 231/168.4/131
WOE: Atkins & Stillman's
Start Date: Restart 02/13/2010
ohsque! Congrats on keeping off all that weight! You are a big inspiration. Now change that siggie so it looks much nicer at 205! You'll be in ONEderland in no time!
Old 09-11-2003, 06:21 PM   #764
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: GApeach23
Stats: 207.2/195.6/160 5'8"
WOE: Tried and True.....Atkins
Start Date: Re-started Jan. 2, 2012
Quote:
Originally posted by Lori42
and I have to say a BIG thank you for whoever (sorry I don't remember who!) recommended Joel Fuhrman's fasting book. This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. And get this: he practices medicine about 45 minutes from where I live! If I ever need him I'll be calling for sure.

Lori
(sorry I wrote a book! )
Hey Lori, I think it was me that originally mentioned his book in detail, and you are very welcome, I found it very informative. Barnes and Nobles called today to say that the other two fasting books I ordered are now in and I will pick them up tomorrow, can't even remember the names. Then my Miracle of Fasting book gets shipped tomorrow, can't wait. I'll let ya'll know how good they are or aren't for that matter~~~~lol.

Well, day 7 ended this afternoon, still hanging in and hanging on, foggy head getting worse, hunger comes and goes, but oh well, now officially down 11.5 pounds, will be going to bed shortly, it is funny I have to be in be two to three hours earlier than normal, guess I need the sleep and rest.

Good luck to all that continue the journey, still not sure how long I'll go, I'm sure my body will let me know.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:49 PM   #765
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks GApeach23 for the recommendation. I like the info about fasting. The stuff about diet is under consideration since I'm low carbing! lol But I like having info and deciding for myself by trial and error.

Day 7, huh?! Wow! Hang in there, GApeach. Rest when you can.

Lori
Old 09-12-2003, 06:01 AM   #766
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AllisonB
Stats: Day of surgery:255/Today:142/Goal:140
Start Date: RNY 8/20/2012
Day 5 and I'm feeling great. No detox symptoms at all, except for the slightest dehydration-like headache when I first wake-up. Once I drink a bottle of water that goes away. On a good note, my stick-straight, fine, limp hair has actually been cooperating the last couple of days!

On the first fast, I drank water like a fish. This time, I am only drinking when I am thirsty and I feel much better. The information about too much water and electrolytes seems to be right on.

On my first fast, I started at 225 and got down to 206 (19 lbs. in 13 days). After breaking that fast, I eventually gained back 14 of those lbs., going back up to 220. Today I am back down to 210 (10 lbs. in 5 days).

Has anyone heard from Belle? Ohsque - your results are amazing!Good work everyone
Old 09-12-2003, 06:24 AM   #767
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: handicapped91
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6/9/03
30 Day Detox

Hi Guys,
Well I made it through my 36 hr fast. I had almond butter in celery this morning. I had a really stressful day yesterday and wanted to eat but I held out and made it. Getting control of my emotional eating is a great goal for me. I lost 2 lbs yesterday. I am now 121 so I have only gained between 1-3 lbs back of the original 9 lbs I lost on my 7 day fast. I think the new thread for 36 hr fast once a week is a good idea.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:54 AM   #768
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

begin day 3

Good morning all!

Today begins my third day in my fast. I was surprised at my energy level last night. I didn't need to go to bed early like day 1. This morning I woke up refreshed, but could tell i tossed in my sleep because I had cacooned myself in my sheets! No biggy since I never woke up. I am marveling at how clear my thoughts are and my vision seems to be sharper ( i don't know if this is related or not). I feel very alert. I expected weakness and lethargy. I gotta say, I feel quite the opposite. I love how flat my tummy is! I know that is will poof back out when I break fast though.

Oh, BTW: I read somewhere the origins of the word breakfast comes from the terms break fast. Since we don't consume food in our sleep, it was considered a fast. Anyhoo, I read that somewhere.

Oshque congratulations on your succesful fast. Keep us posted. How did you break your fast, and what has been your eating since then to maintain the loss?

I understand there is a new posting for 36ers, but what about those lasting longer? Will we continue with this post?

Congratulations to all fasters!

Stats:
Day 1: 3.5 lb loss
Day 2: 2.5 lb loss
Old 09-12-2003, 08:01 AM   #769
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BetsyLou
I haven't posted before in this fasting thread, but I have been reading everyone's posts. Today is the third day of my fast. I did a fast last month for four days. I'm going to try and match that length of time at the very least.

During my fast last month, the hunger cravings were too much at times. So far this time around, the hunger cravings have been managable. The only real complaint that I have are the nagging headaches.

I broke down last night and took an Excedrin Migraine pill. It was either that or quit fasting. I feel much better this morning and hope the headaches are behind me for at least a while.

I suppose the main reason that I'm fasting again is to try and get a handle on my complusive eating. I've lost a lot of weight on the Atkins diet, but I still feel as though that I don't have a handle on my overeating. I just want to see how much willpower I can exert over myself. This will be a real self-test.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:25 AM   #770

Good Morning everyone~
Well, I'm doing a 24 hr. fast today~ So far so good with the shorter fasts~ my face seems to be clearing, but I don't want to jinx things! And I'm holding the weight loss on the days I eat~ Staying in ketosis helps with this back and forth thing.

I started a 36er thread for those looking for short fasts support~ maybe I jumped the gun a bit, but I hope it can continue each week~ it's helping me anyway~ Maybe what we need is one general fasting thread~ like this one (but not so BIG lol) for those doing fasts longer than 36 hours too? I still plan on doing the 7 day fast at the end of the month.

Other than that~ TGIF!!!
Have a great one everybody!
~~~N
Old 09-12-2003, 10:14 AM   #771

Gallery:
Nady, I think a general fasting thread would be a good idea because there are people who will be doing more than 36 hours. Just a thought.

On the 18th (30 days), I'll be asking the Admins to lock this thread so the new questions/answers can transfer to a different one. This is thread IS too big -- you bring home a cute puppy and it turns into a slobbering St. Bernard (hey, I love Bernies!)

Glad to see the new fasters! Keep an eye on what you want from fasting. IMO only, it's not a good idea to overeat, then rely on fasting for a few days to recover (like calorie/carb averaging or something).

Old 09-12-2003, 02:06 PM   #772
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Lori42
Thanks GApeach23 for the recommendation. I like the info about fasting. The stuff about diet is under consideration since I'm low carbing! lol But I like having info and deciding for myself by trial and error.

Day 7, huh?! Wow! Hang in there, GApeach. Rest when you can.

Lori
Lori, I'm right there with you, I like the book but since I've low carbed since 1999 off and on, I will not be breaking my fast with his diet recommendations, no way. Still doing okay, day 8 officially over. Still planning and thinking of the way to break my fast, somewhere in Furhman's book he recommends breaking the fast slowly over a 3-6 week period, but that my be for those fasting 30 days or longer who knows. Still listening to my body and still don't know how long I will continue the fast, felt very weak and tired this morning, think that my BS was low, had a little sip or two of diet coke and felt better, so I forge onward.
Old 09-12-2003, 02:48 PM   #773
Major LCF Poster!

Hey everyone!

Nady~ That's probably a good idea for another thread (as Kimmer says this one's a big slobbering dog now!! lol). I guess each week just start a new one and whenever anyone starts they just jump right in. Sound good?

GApeach~You sound like you're doing great. And detox is like riding the waves--sometimes you're on top of the swell and sometimes you're on the bottom!

Betsylou~ I can relate to the food issues. I have hopes that fasting will help straighten this out for me.

Hey AllisonB, handicapped91, carbaddict33 and everyone else. Good to see you.

Lori
Old 09-13-2003, 12:02 AM   #774

Gallery: Kose
Hey fasters!

i've finally gotten the long awaited pimple. lol. never felt this enthusiastic about getting a pimple.

continuing my fast tomorrow and going to go for as long as i can.

will check in again next time.
Old 09-13-2003, 06:06 AM   #775
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: candoit
WOE: My own carb way
Start Date: June 1, 2008
Found a fasting book on Ebay!

Hey all you fasters, I have just found a book on fasting on Ebay. You can do a search on this book (Super Detox-- by Michael Van Straten) Buy it for $9.99 (sells for $24.99 in the stores). Has anybody read this book? I'm thinking of buying this book.

Carrol
Old 09-13-2003, 08:23 AM   #776
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: barbarella67
Stats: 280/212/159(healthy BMI) 5'7"
WOE: WLS/Lower carb diet
Start Date: HW 6/13/05 - Surgery 9/22/05
Hello everyone!

I was so busy yesterday that I never had a chance to check in. It was my day off, so I needed to keep myself occupied and away from the frig! I wasn't hungry the whole day and very surprised by it. There were a couple of times that I gravitated toward the frig (I had to to the kitchen to get water) but it was purely out of habit. I spent the day organizing crap in my house, did a little gardening on my patio, and went shopping. At the time that I would be raiding the frig - I was making hair scrunchies for dd's soccer team . DBF asked how I was doing - i'm not hungry at all??? I tried to explain to him that i must be in ketosis and my hunger is gone. He did atkins with me for a few weeks, but he never read the book so he doesn't understand. *shrugs* oh well, I tried.
Thursday night - official day 1 - the stomach started growling/gurgling at 7:00, hr 25. It only lasted a few minutes - I just drank some water and got through it.

I send a Big Thanks to everyone who posted this thread and inspired me to challenge myself like never before !!!
Old 09-13-2003, 08:30 AM   #777

Good Morning everyone~
This month seems to be passing quickly~ or is it just me?? In only two more weeks, we'll be doing the 7 day fast!

I agree about not following the dietary recommendations in the books~ I remember one of my first fasts~ it must have been 28 or so years ago~ the book I was using for guidance recommended using Apricot Nectar mixed 50/50 with water and plain yogurt for breaking the fast. Needless to say, it triggered all the carb cravings and I ended up regaining my weight losses in record time! Wish I could remember who wrote the book or what it's title was~ it's probably ended up in the recycle book pile a long time ago!

Following a LC plan is much easier~ both for maintaining weight losses, and also, at least for me, helps maintain the detox benefits~ since my main problems seem to stem from eating grains. I don't know if I'm finally getting somewhere, but my face is almost totally clear~ for the first time in over 10 years! Maybe the breakouts are not from middle-age hormones (like my GYN said)!

Anyway, I'm going to continue with the short fasts until the 7day one~ so if anyone that wants to join me, that would be terrific!

Have a great day!
~~~N
Old 09-13-2003, 08:58 AM   #778
Seriouslyme

Gallery: Seriouslyme
Hi all!

computer probs have kept me away. I missed all the fasting action tho!

Hope all are well.

Hey Kimmer, Island Blue, Belle, Nady, Allison, and everyone else here!

Old 09-13-2003, 11:36 PM   #779
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: believer170
WOE: experimenting
Start Date: Aug 28 2004
hey! im a newbie and im really interested in this---is it 30 ndays without food--just water? does it speed up weightloss? can i take vitamins? please give me the scoop i really wanna get my body clean i hate eating all this fat i feel gross..thnx
Old 09-14-2003, 01:32 PM   #780
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi All,

Day 10 officially ended just seconds ago. I am so tired and weak today, if tomorrow is the same it will be time to end the fast. It has been great though.

Think I'll start with the chicken broth a couple or more days then ease back into either a stillman or induction style Atkins for just a little longer so that I can keep off most of the weight I've lost fasting.

Sorry, can't talk longer, think I need a nap.