Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2003, 03:55 PM   #721
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AllisonB
Stats: Day of surgery:255/Today:142/Goal:140
Start Date: RNY 8/20/2012
I think that Belle is the only one who is nearing 30 Days so far (unless there are lurkers who haven't posted). I believe that today is Day 23 for Belle!

I made it to 12 or 13 Days my first time. Today is Day 2 for this round. I work about 50 hours a week, and still do all the things around the house I did before, including grocery shopping and cooking 3 meals a day for my wonderful husband. I actually cook him really, really good meals when I'm not eating them, it's weird!

Last edited by AllisonB; 09-09-2003 at 03:56 PM..

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2003, 04:32 PM   #722
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: barbarella67
Stats: 280/212/159(healthy BMI) 5'7"
WOE: WLS/Lower carb diet
Start Date: HW 6/13/05 - Surgery 9/22/05
Quote:
Originally posted by carbaddict33

I'd like to share why I'm interested. I obsess over food. I'm not even finished eating my meal before i'm thinking and planning the next. If I slip up once, I think, oh well, I've blown it and then I binge. I feel like I have no control. I've read several posts that mention fasting helps people gain control over food.

This is ME too!!! Every week I am starting over again, but within 2 days I've blown it!
I am seriously considering starting a fast in the next couple of weeks - I just have to convince dbf that I am not going to kill myself if I go for several days or a few weeks without food!! I mentioned it to him a couple weeks ago and he looked at me like I've lost my marbles
Old 09-09-2003, 05:41 PM   #723
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lori42
Stats: 144/128/125
WOE: Moderate carb, whole foods
Start Date: May 2003
I did take the detox challenge when it began but mine was a 3 day fast. I broke my fast with fresh diluted vegetable juice and chicken broth for 2 days after. Then I slowly added food.

I'm a stay at home mom with 2 kids a husband and dog. Everyone needed to be fed!! lol I just took it slow and rested whenever I could.

I've been doing a weekly 36 hour fast since then. I'm actually finding this harder than the 3 day fast! I figure it's because the 1st day(s) are the hardest and I'm not getting past that.

Doing a 36 hour fast is beneficial (just tough becuase of the hungries and 'ickies'). Fasting is cummulative so it's all good.

We're going to do a 7 day fast beginning September 28th till October 4th for anyone that's interested.

And I can relate very well about obsessing with food! This is also one of the reasons I'm fasting: to change my relationship with food. Plus the detox for health reasons.

I also found during my 3 day fast that it was much easier to do (mentally wise) since my reason was health and healing. I'm one of those people that if it's for weightloss I sure put the jinx on that!

Hth,
Lori
Old 09-09-2003, 07:49 PM   #724
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Nady
Hi Everyone~
Hey Lori~ I'm doing 36ers now, but I think that 7 day fast sounds pretty good~ I want to join you! In the meantime, I'll just keep on with the 36ers~ I can tell that my immune system is stronger~ my eczema is better, and the swollen lymph glands I had on my neck are gone! My knees don't hurt anymore and the dark circles under my eyes are lighter~ I'm having much less sinus!

Too bad doctors don't prescribe fasting before writing a prescription for some chemical!
~~~N
Old 09-09-2003, 07:53 PM   #725

Gallery:
Hi Everyone!

Just to let you know I'm still checking up on you guys, LOL!

Barbarella, is your husband a "reader"? Print out the 1st link on the 1st post of the 1st page (OK, now this DOES sound like a cult!) and let him read about fasting and why it's not starving, etc.

Ditto for the person who didn't understand why a water fast isn't dangerous -- you HAVE to do the reading, don't just rely on posts or you'll be a mess psychologically after a few days.

Is Belle still on the Challenge? She posted on the main BB for a recipe for pork rinds with cinnamon/Splenda so I thought she had stopped. Or maybe they're for her kids?

Glad everyone is doing so well! Feel free to keep the thread going after 30 days if you want to -- I was just thinking it was getting too big. But, if it works for you guys go ahead!

Old 09-10-2003, 03:41 AM   #726
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally posted by Nady
Hi Everyone~
Hey Lori~ I'm doing 36ers now, but I think that 7 day fast sounds pretty good~ I want to join you! In the meantime, I'll just keep on with the 36ers~ I can tell that my immune system is stronger~ my eczema is better, and the swollen lymph glands I had on my neck are gone! My knees don't hurt anymore and the dark circles under my eyes are lighter~ I'm having much less sinus!

Too bad doctors don't prescribe fasting before writing a prescription for some chemical!
~~~N
I agree (about the doctors). My 36er ends this morning but I must really need it because my sinuses are draining and my ear hurts (ahhh the wonders of detox! lol). And yes I feel better, too doing this. I wish I discovered this years ago. Thanks Kimmer!

Can't wait to do the 7 day fast.

Lori
Old 09-10-2003, 04:32 AM   #727

Gallery: Kose
morning everyone.
broke my fast this morning with diluted fruit juice. not feeling weird or anything YET. lol.

will continue my fast 2 days later.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:08 AM   #728
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: carbaddict33
Stats: 40 pounds gone forever!
WOE: lo-carb
Start Date: 8/25/03
I've decided to go on a 3 day fast. I will take two days to break the fast with broths and slowly break in solid foods. My DH is a physician assistant and he will be monitoring vital stats and will take care of the family meals for me. I spoke with him about fasting, why I'm doing it, what he thought about it and if he would support me through it. In the mean time I picked up Furhman's book for reading. From what I've read so far, it makes complete sense to me. If the detox gets too nasty for me, I intend to take a couple days from work. I also have the luxury of closing my office door and turn out the ligths if absolutely necessary. Any of you experienced fasters wishing to pass along advice, I'm open and look forward to hearing from you. I also just want to say thanks for being supportive. It helps SO much.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:01 AM   #729
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Thanks Kimmer! I decided last night that I am going to start a fast tomorrow.
At dinner last night, I told dbf that I have been reading through some of your links and reading this thread and I was really considering this. I said that I'm hoping this might get my appetite back in check and detox my system. He just rolled his eyes. Then he said that I have tried every diet imaginable and that I'm just grasping at straws. I told him that I am going to continue until I finally get it right!!! Grrrr!!! I was so pissed, thanks so much for your support! I held my tongue and did not remind him that at present he has only 3 pairs of pants in the closet now that fit him because he keeps yo-yo-ing himself!!! (about 3 years ago-he lost 150# on weight watchers and he has probably gained back 40-50) Later on he apologized - but I'm still mad.
I am eating only fruit and veggies today - and tomorrow I will cut those out. I am going to try thursday - sunday for my first time, see how I feel. I am planning to get some fruit and veg. juices and chicken broth to break the fast with.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:30 AM   #730

Good Morning Everyone~

Glad to hear everyone is doing well~ I'm really looking forward to the 7 day fast too. I think I probably still have a lot of sludge left to get rid of~ maybe I just haven't given my body enough 'down time' to do a real good cleaning. Heaven knows I didn't get to this weight by letting my digestive system rest.

Have a great day everybody!
~~~N
Old 09-10-2003, 09:32 AM   #731

Gallery: catkin
Stats: Made Goal! 132 lbs.
WOE: hhcg
I'll be cheering for you, Barbarella.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:04 AM   #732
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: GApeach23
Stats: 207.2/195.6/160 5'8"
WOE: Tried and True.....Atkins
Start Date: Re-started Jan. 2, 2012
Hello fellow fasters,

Well day 6 will be complete at 4:30 pm today. Not much hunger yesterday thank goodness, day four in the evening was by far the worst hunger I had thus far. Also not very hungry today either, girls in my office ordered chicken bites and cheesy bread from Dominos, the smell was great, but I didn't break.

I'm officially down 10.5 pounds and I'm wearing a pair of pants that I haven't been able to where since last Sept., so that is a great feeling. Although I do want to state again my main purpose for the fast is to detox my body from years of drinking and prescription drugs, and also for spiritual reasons, the kick start to my weight loss is just a wonderful side effect and added benefit.

Still waiting on the three other fasting books that I've ordered to come in, still not sure how long I'll do this fast, depends on if I continue to feel as well as I do now.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:05 AM   #733
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Freesia
Stats: finally .. . .
WOE: love myself
Just wanted to say Hey to everyone, especially Kimmer and Belle!

Belle: please check in at Acquasizers -- we want to know how you are doing? Are you still fasting?

Well, I'm starting a mini fast after my 30 days of strict KISSing -- probably about 3 days -- but after Xmas holidays -- I'm taking about two weeks leave and going for two weeks -- and if everything is ok -- its 30 days

You ladies should be proud of yourselves, because despite controversy and lurkers! you're still here!

Peace
roe
Old 09-10-2003, 11:55 AM   #734
lovinatkins

Gallery: lovinatkins
carbaddict- You sound just like me a few months ago! Totally obsessed with food and feeling totally miserable and out of control. It is awful to feel that way. I am 36ing today, I usually do it Sunday-Tues. a.m. but TOM came and I coudn't deal. Started yesterday evening and am doing fine. I usually have no problem until dinner time when my brain wants to sit and socialize while eating with the family. It is hard to cook and do the sit and talk without the eating part! BUT, I will say that since I did my first longer fast and have been 36ing for the past month or so, I cannot believe the control I have over food. It has finally become incidental to some degree rather than an obsession. Sometimes I just don't feel like eating SHOCKING, huh? It is for me. I thought about food all the time and constantly thought about what I could eat next. Now, because of LC and fasting regularly, I find my portion control is fabulous, and my cravings are almost nil. Right now there is an LC cheesecake that I made last week in the freezer that would have been the bane of my existance two months ago. I would have had a sliver of it every day until it was gone. So far I had two small slices in about 6 days and have no desire to eat it at all. My weight loss over the past month has been very slow, maybe four pounds all month, but I feel great because I am finally free of the obsession and I know eventually I will make goal. This is the first time I have ever been so sure of it in my life. I can do and and so can you!!!!! Keep us posted.

Old 09-10-2003, 01:05 PM   #735
Major LCF Poster!

You guys sound like you are doing great!

I broke my fast today but at 1pm not 8am because I just felt so darn good! I even worked out and it was fine. I can't wait for the 7 day fast either.

Keep up the good work everyone.

Lori
Old 09-10-2003, 01:10 PM   #736
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally posted by roeluvsparis

Well, I'm starting a mini fast after my 30 days of strict KISSing -- probably about 3 days -- but after Xmas holidays -- I'm taking about two weeks leave and going for two weeks -- and if everything is ok -- its 30 days
I just wanted to add I'm already thinking after the new year would be a good time for the next 7 day fast. Haven't even done this Sept-Oct one and already I'm thinking ahead to the next one! Perhaps others out there would agree it's a good time of year for some inner housecleaning?

Lori
Old 09-10-2003, 01:19 PM   #737
lovinatkins

OH, DEFINITELY! I totally agree about doing one after the New Year. While I don't plan on carbing out over the holidays, I know there will be occasions of merry making that will include some traditional favorites (pierogies and blintzes and egg nog on Christmas Eve) that I will not give up. LC is a WOL and there are certain (few and far between) occasions where tradition and family and enjoyment are sometimes intertwined with food and drink. I can pass up birthday cake and Thanksgiving, but Christmas Eve is one of those times for my family and I am going to enjoy it. My grandmother and I spend days making dough and cooking and baking, and I wouldn't trade that time with her or the enjoyment from that meal for another few pounds. I will only go off that one day, but I think a fast is a great way to start off the year to cleanse and get into ketosis deeply again to fight the crave demon in 2004!

Old 09-10-2003, 04:24 PM   #738

Gallery:
Hi everyone -- afternoon check, LOL!

Hey, Roe! Thanks for your support, you're always a positive spirit (unlike those that shall go nameless )

Barbarella, you can't explain fasting to a guy, they just don't "get it". When I was married, my husband would want to try fasting with me (he was health conscious and of course always trying to lose 10 pounds ... sigh). He would only last to lunch. Wimps! You live in Torrance? That's where I grew up -- PCH & Crenshaw. My brother lives near old Torrance -- Arlington & Sepulveda.

Old 09-10-2003, 05:21 PM   #739
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

GRRRR!!!!!!!!!!! Just having a chat on im with bf. He tells me what he made for dinner. I tell him that's great, but no I am not interested in having some - that I am eating only veggies and fruit to start fasting tomorrow. He says sounds good - for how long? 4-5 days I tell him, then depending on how i feel maybe longer.
He says that's unhealthy - 2 days yes, 5 no way - I don't care WHAT you have read.

I told him that I would be happy to share with him what I have read (of course he has no interest) but I would appreciate if kept his opinions to himself!

He then said that if I start acting weird, no - he will not keep quiet.. Oh Brother - what is it with men?!?!?!?!

Yeap - I live close to Torrance Bl & Hawthorne
Old 09-10-2003, 06:10 PM   #740
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by lovinatkins
...... I know there will be occasions of merry making that will include some traditional favorites (pierogies and blintzes and egg nog on Christmas Eve).....
OMG - My great grandma, grandma, mom, and aunts used to make homemade pieroggies, those are sooooo good! I even liked (pre-LC) the frozen Mrs. T brand ones at the grocery! How do you serve yours? We always boiled the P's until they floated, and browned onions in butter in a big pan, then when they were pretty much caramelized, added a can of evaporated milk for each dozen pieroggies, then poured the milk/butter/onion sauce over the top. Sorry for the visual, everyone
Old 09-10-2003, 06:42 PM   #741
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Evangelina
DAY 16 and doing GREAT!!

Hi Guys!!!

Well day 16 is over and really I'm so shocked that I've made it this far! I feel super. I have a couple downs but mostly I'm on a sort of high all the time.

I've continued to ride my bike for those who are used to exercising, it can be done. I just don't ride as far and as fast.

I'm on water only, no vitamins etc.

I haven't checked in for a couple of days, and although many of you don't know me, I'm here and having a great time.

I think I've lost about 20 lbs or so but I stopped weighing. None of my pants fit.

Who else is doing the long fast still?

Love,
Evangelina
Old 09-10-2003, 07:59 PM   #742
Big Yapper!!!!

That's great, Evangelina! I wish Belle would check in, too.

I'm on Day 3 of my second fast. I'm not going to weigh until I'm ready to break. Nothing bad is happening, no hunger, no aches, pains or anything <sigh>.
Old 09-11-2003, 04:51 AM   #743
lovinatkins

Hey Allison,
Yeah, pierogies rock! We prepare them exactly like you do down to the browned butter, but we don't add the milk. They are just salted and then served on a platter with the browned butter. They are just wonderful. I even like MRs. T.s too! Not since locarb though. I will eat the homemade ones on Christmas Eve and that's it. Glad to hear your feeling well on your fast.

Old 09-11-2003, 05:01 AM   #744
Major LCF Poster!

Ah yes pierogies and fish on Christmas Eve! Any other Italians out there celebrating with a traditional dinner? I'm not Italian but married into an italian family so every meal is a spread! lol

Belle are you still fasting? That's great, Evangelina! Day 16 I'm soooo impressed.

You go Allison! No detox symptoms, huh? That's good, you're healthier than you knew maybe!

Hi everyone! Hey Island are you still with us?

Lori
Old 09-11-2003, 05:18 AM   #745
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Lori42
Ah yes pierogies and fish on Christmas Eve! Any other Italians out there celebrating with a traditional dinner? I'm not Italian but married into an italian family so every meal is a spread! lol

Belle are you still fasting? That's great, Evangelina! Day 16 I'm soooo impressed.

You go Allison! No detox symptoms, huh? That's good, you're healthier than you knew maybe!

Hi everyone! Hey Island are you still with us?

Lori
Does anyone know the actual origin of pierrogies? My great-grandma had our family believing they were German (she was from Germany) and we always called it Pierrogen, and then I read somewhere that they were Polish - and now Italian? She also used to make something she called 'Poucha', which was basically a bread dough crust filled with mashed potatoes and cheese, then baked. Pretty much a Perrogie Pot-Pie! My sister married into a big Italian family and she stays thin even with the huge, starchy, carby meals!
Old 09-11-2003, 06:42 AM   #746
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: carbaddict33
Stats: 40 pounds gone forever!
WOE: lo-carb
Start Date: 8/25/03
starting Day 2

Good Morning all. I'm down one day in my fast. Though I had a couple of difficult moments, they were very brief . .and very mental. I made it. I did have some lightheadedness and I couldn't get warm. So I filled a bathtub full of warm water and soaked for a while. I did go to bed early. I had difficulty falling asleep, but eventually slept wonderfully. I woke up refreshed this morning and not hungry at all. I have plenty of energy, no lightheadedness or weakness. I feel normal.

I was surprised to learn at how many times I thought of food (or saw a commercial on TV) and it made my stomach rumble. That tells me that my hunger is MENTAL!

Another interesting thing, I noticed some people mention they haven't had movements. That has not been a problem for me. It's almost like my body is forcing everything out. I do have gas, though not bad.

I feel like I'm finally exercise control over food. I hope when I complete this that I will better be able to portion control and not obsess over food. I explained this to DH. He has expressed concern over me extending the fast for any longer, but says he will continue to monitor my vital stats. In intend to extend the fast through Sunday. If all goes well, and I continue to feel ok, I will go to next Wednesday which will make the fast one week.

I thank each of you on this board, as I read each of your posts regularly (multiple times per day). Just knowing your out there and going through this too gives great motivation. You are amazing!
Old 09-11-2003, 07:08 AM   #747
lovinatkins

Good job carbaddict! Day one is very difficult.

Allison- My family is Slovac and Russian but I have no idea where pierogies originated. We also eat something I can't spell, but I will try to phonetically, it's called piegachi. It is dough rolled into a circle like a pizza with a thin layer of either potato or cabbage filling. Then another layer of dough is put on top. You baste it with butter and salt and bake it in a hot over for a short while. It comes out looking like a big shiny pizza crust and then you cut it into triagles, put some melted browned butter and salt and eat it. It is my favorite food in the universe, even better than pierogie!

Old 09-11-2003, 07:11 AM   #748
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Island Blue
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/17/03
HELLO FASTERS!

[COLOR=blue]Yes, I'm still here! Stressful, hectic times in my life (work & kids - ain't that always the case?!?!), but I still read up every day!!

You are the most amazing bunch! The last couple days as I was feeling overwhelmed and/or despondent, I'd take a moment to come here and you always boost my spirits!

I started another 36er last night - finished dinner about 8:30 or so, I think I'm going to count my "start" time as midnight rather than the second I finished my last swallow of food! I'm in medium ketosis, though that doesn't seem to help my "mental" hunger demon.

Handicapped - are you with me today? Anyone else? All are welcome!

I didn't think about it when I set today as a start, but this morning watching all the 9/11 anniversary coverage I'm thinking this is a wonderful opportunity for me to focus on other things and not food. I'm working long hours today, and I want to take any down time I might find to reflect on 9/11 - not stuffing whatever I can grab into my face.

God Bless all those we lost. God Bless all those we saved. God Bless our troops, wherever they might be. God Bless all the civilians that also serve the military. God Bless America.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]Please pray for our troops, freedom isn't free[/COLOR]
Old 09-11-2003, 09:34 AM   #749

Good Morning everyone~
Well, my 36er yesterday turned into a 24er But I did lose a pound anyway and am still making a moderate amount of ketones. I wasn't really hungry~ don't know quite what happened, but I had some HB eggs and a couple of ham and cheese roll ups. I know, not the best thing, but it seemed to satisfy whatever demon that was driving me.

Maybe I'll just do a 24er today too~ haven't eaten yet~ not hungry~ I really want to get a better grip on this appetite thing! I'm not sure if it's just habit, or something deeper~ something emotional. It seems I've learned a lot of bad food habits over the last 15 years or so. I suppose that's what I get for listening to the 'expert' nutritionists, instead of my own body!

Just for history~ I never ate breakfast~ I often didn't eat until dinner. This was my habit from about 14 yo on. I also wasn't a big bread eater~ I could however, eat as much as 16 oz of meat at one setting with very little problem! That plus a salad or some veggies, and I was a happy camper!

I gained weight with my pregnancies and when I returned to my 'old' eating habits, had no problems losing it. Then I started with the middle age spread~ about age 35. I noticed that I was picking up a pound or two here and there~ until I was about 15 pounds overweight. I wanted to do it 'right' and everyone told me *Breakfast is the most important meal of the day* so I started eating breakfast. Well, it's been a weight rollercoaster ever since!

Between the breakfast eating and the low fat lie, I managed to mess up my immune system, grow to about 50 pounds overweight, and just in general, age internally way more than I should have. Everyone says I don't look my age~ but I sure do feel it~ often I feel older.

I'm doing these fasts because I want my health back~ I want my body back~ I want my lack of obsession over food back! I blame myself for listening to the 'experts' that led my down the wrong path, but now, I just need to get back to basics, back to what has always worked for me.

I guess I just wanted to post my history and reasons for fasting~ so far I've lost 10 pounds ~ I know it doesn't sound like much, but already my butt has taken on a smaller, firmer shape and I can breathe when I bend over while wearing my jeans!

Thanks for listening!
~~~N
Old 09-11-2003, 10:08 AM   #750
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: handicapped91
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6/9/03
30 Day Detox

Hi Guys,
Island Blue I am with you. I started my 36 hr fast last night at 7:00. I had a few emotonal situations come up and the first thing I wanted to do was eat. I am really fighting it because it is mental hunger and I want to get off that way of thinking. Is any one going to watch Dr. Phil tomorrow night at 8:00. He is going to do a special with Katie Currick(sp) on dieting.