Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2003, 10:04 AM   #691
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Nady
Lori~ sounds fine to me~
~~~N

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2003, 10:31 AM   #692
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Evangelina
Quote:
Originally posted by Lori42
Nady~
This detox challenge began on August 18th. I guess we can see if there's still anyone left before we start another thread. I know Belle is still going strong. Anyone else??
Lori

I'm still going but got started a few days late. Who else is out there that is still going besides myself and Belle?
Old 09-07-2003, 10:35 AM   #693
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Hunni
Stats: 270/133/126.....5'5
WOE: Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: May 14th 2003
hey everyone,

just thought i would jump in and give you all my support and my thanks to everyone for religiously posting their ups and downs, i am a hardcore lurker here, lol, and have been following the fasting threads since seriously did her first,

i decided to do a water fast yesterday, its not for weightloss, i have been doing Stillmans for the last 10 weeks ( wow is it really that long !! ) and am quite happy with the fact that i can loose between 3~5 lb a week with that woe if i want to...

the detox aspect is fasinating... hell if i can give something back to my body for the years i abused it... great !! but i mainly want to examine my relationship with food..... ok so its legal food now, and its nowhere near binging or anything... but why do i still eat even when i can feel that full feeling in my stomach ? why do i eat when i'm bored ? why do i think about food so often ?

so i was just gonna do 36 hours -from when i ate dinner fri night till this morning- just one day without food..... so far and its 6.30pm on day 2 i still havent eaten, i dont suppose i will fast for long...lol, i love food too much, i just wanted to do this to prove that i ruled and not that damn food,

maybe because i was on Stillmans and already in deep ketosis i didnt have any hunger yesterday, today i had a few quite bad rumblings around 2pm, i just went and napped for an hour or so and now it has gone and i feel great, like i say, it probably wont be a long term fast.. will see how it goes, i have to say, i quite like the idea of joining those of you with a weekly 36 hour fast in mind, will see how i feel after this one,

once again, thankyou all for braving the nay-sayers and trouble makers, you have inspired so many people and you should all be proud of yourselves

[COLOR=crimson] 270/133/126[/COLOR]

[COLOR=purple] 137lb lost ![/COLOR] [COLOR=purple] now into the homeward stretch..[/COLOR]
~~
"Be Determined...leave no room for failure"

"This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind...let it be something good."

Last edited by Hunni; 09-07-2003 at 10:38 AM..
Old 09-07-2003, 12:14 PM   #694
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lori42
Stats: 144/128/125
WOE: Moderate carb, whole foods
Start Date: May 2003
Welcome, Hunni! Glad to have you aboard. Detoxing is a strange and wondrous journey as the ones that have done it the longest can tell you! I love coming here, too.

And now we know Evangelina and Belle are still going strong. Anyone else?? Because if we do decide to start another thread we want you to know where to come for support and cheers!

Lori
Old 09-07-2003, 12:39 PM   #695

Gallery: catkin
Stats: Made Goal! 132 lbs.
WOE: hhcg
Go fasters! :) :) :)

Lori42, I'm in for the September 24th fast. I'll be on vacation then, so it's great timing. If I can wait that looooooooooonnnnnngggggggg!!!!!!!!! I may have to do a couple of short ones in the mean time. *sigh* I think I'm hooked!

Nady, I'm so very happy for you.
Old 09-07-2003, 03:02 PM   #696
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: GApeach23
Stats: 207.2/195.6/160 5'8"
WOE: Tried and True.....Atkins
Start Date: Re-started Jan. 2, 2012
Woohhhooo day 3 behind me!!!

Hello everyone,

Well I finally made it to start my water fast, no illness this time thank goodness.

Haven't had any real problems, day 3 officially ended at 4:30 EST.
Day one was a breeze, I think it helped started in the middle of the day for me.

Day two, slight headache, didn't last long, but hunger pains out of this world. See since I had been sick for nearly two weeks straight, what I could finally hold down was the good ole comfort food, such as toast, grits, baked potatoes, I sure that is why I've been so hungry. Was in slight ketosis day two.

Day 3, wonderful so far, few bumps popped up on my face, of course I had the coated tongue. Very heavy into ketosis now. My funny symptom seems to be running into walls and not being able to walk straight, how crazy is that? I'm not dizzy, so my equilibrum must be a little wacked.
And I thought ketosis breath was bad while doing Atkins, huh, I could knock down a building with the dragon breath.

Family and friends call every day to see if I've eaten yet, I gladly and proudly tell them no, they are impressed.

Still waiting to receive my Miracle of Fasting book, but meanwhile I bought on called "Fasting and Eating for Health" it is a medical doctors program for conquering disease. Written by Joel Fuhrman, M.D. If anyone else has mentioned this book please excuse the repost, but it is very informative and interesting.

I'll say tah-tah for now and go back and read the last two pages I've missed, updates to follow later.
Old 09-07-2003, 03:56 PM   #697
Major LCF Poster!

Re: Go fasters! :) :) :)

Quote:
Originally posted by Cinder
Lori42, I'm in for the September 24th fast. I'll be on vacation then, so it's great timing. If I can wait that looooooooooonnnnnngggggggg!!!!!!!!! I may have to do a couple of short ones in the mean time. *sigh* I think I'm hooked!

Nady, I'm so very happy for you.
Cinder~
I proposed we start September 28th to October 4th because Island said she had a commintment on Sept 27th and eating was involved. But if you want to start early that's ok! I know what you mean about being hooked. If you want join us on our 36 hour weekly fasts. I'm doing mine Monday night till Wednesday morning. Everyone has different days that work best for them. Just pick!

And Nady that's great about your maintaining your weight loss. I, too haven't gained any of my weight back and I must say I like it! Heehee!

Lori
Old 09-07-2003, 04:00 PM   #698
Major LCF Poster!

Re: Woohhhooo day 3 behind me!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by GApeach23

Still waiting to receive my Miracle of Fasting book, but meanwhile I bought on called "Fasting and Eating for Health" it is a medical doctors program for conquering disease. Written by Joel Fuhrman, M.D. If anyone else has mentioned this book please excuse the repost, but it is very informative and interesting.
Congrats on making to Day 3! And let me know more about this book. I have the Miracle of Fasting and it's a great (and uplifting) read. I'd like another book on fasting. Thanks!

Lori
Old 09-07-2003, 06:26 PM   #699
lovinatkins

Gallery: lovinatkins
36ing tonight for me as well until Tues a.m. I am also in for a 7 day on the 28th. Glad to see everyone is doing well!

Old 09-08-2003, 06:50 AM   #700
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AllisonB
Stats: Day of surgery:255/Today:142/Goal:140
Start Date: RNY 8/20/2012
I'm back on the Fast as of 6 PM last night (Sunday). My goal is 36 hours, but I'm going to go longer as long as I'm comfortable. I'm going to plan ahead for low blood glucose, so I don't have the low-low that I had on Day 3/4 the last time.

How is everyone else doing. Belle - are you still hanging in there?
Old 09-08-2003, 07:25 AM   #701
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: handicapped91
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6/9/03
30 Day Detox

Hi Guys,
Everyone is doing great!!!!!!!!!! I have been holding at 123 and am so happy about it. Joel Furmans book is the one I got when I did my first fast. It is a great book. He mentions in there to drink water as your thirst dictates. So you don't have to drink loads of water. I personally think too much water is no good. Some doing Atkins really push the water too much in my opinion. I tried to drink a lot of water on Atkins and got nausious (sp). Well keep doing good everyone.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:19 AM   #702

Good Morning Everyone!
Well, I'm a 36er today too! Actually looking forward to the break from eating~ the real test comes around 4:00 p.m. though, usually my weakest point in the day~ but I can always tell myself that I can eat it 'tomorrow' Haha!

Anyway, I weighed again this morning~ I'm really surprised that I haven't gained back the pounds I lost with the initial fast! I know it was only 9 pounds, but I assumed it was all water and at least some would return when I resumed eating. I guess keeping the carbs at induction levels is the key~ gives the body time to redistribute things a bit~ perhaps replace the water loss with fat loss? Whatever it is, my jeans are still loose!

Have a great day everyone!
~~~N
Old 09-08-2003, 11:46 AM   #703

Gallery: catkin
Stats: Made Goal! 132 lbs.
WOE: hhcg
Great going!

Lori, yes, the 28th! I'm in. Battling my sugar demon again and attempting Stillman's again today with no cheats. It was soo much easier when I was fasting, even though I was hungry
Old 09-08-2003, 11:57 AM   #704
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: carbaddict33
Stats: 40 pounds gone forever!
WOE: lo-carb
Start Date: 8/25/03
ok, this might be a dumb question, but I've heard of juice fasts, potato fasts (not applicable here), but what is a water fast? Am I reading correctly that it is nothing but water? How can this be healthy? Won't you throw your body into starvation mode? The person that is fasting for 30 days, what are you eating? Is it me? did I miss something? I'm asking because I'm interested. I tried a fast one day (and made it until 5:00pm when I had to cook dinner for my family). I'd be interested in trying it again someday.

Last edited by carbaddict33; 09-08-2003 at 11:58 AM..
Old 09-08-2003, 12:06 PM   #705

Carbaddict~ Here's some info I copied from one of my books~ maybe it'll help clarify how the body works~

Quote:
from Fasting And Eating For Health By Joel Fuhrman, M.D.

The innate intelligence of the body is remarkable, as represented by the biochemical changes that occur in the fasting state. Glucose is a simple sugar that supplies the necessary fuel our body needs. Normally, if we don't eat for a day or two, we start to utilize muscle tissue to make the glucose needed by the body, since glucose can be manufactured from the amino acids stored in our muscles. If we continue to fast, however, the body senses what is occurring and attempts to conserve it's lean muscle mass by a few different mechanisms.

Fats are broken down to fatty acids that can then be utilized by the muscles, heart, and liver for energy. The brain, however, is the major utilizer of energy when the body is at rest. The brain cannot be fueled from fatty acids; it requires glucose to fuel it's operations.

A special adaptation occurs in the fasting state whereby the brain can fuel itself with ketones instead of glucose. By the third day of a total fast, the liver starts generating a large quantity of ketones from the body's fat stores. As the level of ketones rises in the bloodstream, the brain and other organs begin to use these ketones as their major fuel, thus greatly diminishing the utilization of glucose by the body. This significantly limits muscle wasting. Those keto acids are utilized for fuel primarily by the brain, muscle tissue, and the heart.

This production of ketones, called ketosis, develops within 48 hours in females and 72 hours in males, and muscle wasting at this time decreases to very low levels. This is known as protein sparing.

Thus, the human organism responds to the fasting state by attempting to maximally conserve it's muscle and lean body tissue. With severely restrictive diets, like juice fasts, the body does lose weight, but the brain and other organs do not subsist mainly on ketones. Therefore, proportionally to weight loss, juice fasts and severely restrictive diets cause us to lose more lean body tissue and less fatty tissue than do total fasts.
Hope that helps~
~~~N

Last edited by Nady; 09-08-2003 at 02:01 PM..
Old 09-08-2003, 01:35 PM   #706
Blabbermouth!!!

Day 4 officially over, felt better today than the past three days, not hungry at all today. My muscles are sore though and only a select few, triceps, back of thighs and back, funny huh?

Have a few more bumps on face, nothing too awful. Have pretty good energy, but I now go to bed at 9:00 pm or so where as before it was always midnight or later.
Old 09-08-2003, 01:48 PM   #707
Blabbermouth!!!

Re: Re: Woohhhooo day 3 behind me!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Lori42
Congrats on making to Day 3! And let me know more about this book. I have the Miracle of Fasting and it's a great (and uplifting) read. I'd like another book on fasting. Thanks!

Lori
Hey Lori, I bought the book at Barnes and Nobles, that was the only fasting book that they had at the store physically, you could order more, and I did order two more to come in within 10 days. His book "Fasting and Eating for Health", by Joel Fuhrman M.D. is very interesting and informative.

Like I wondered why my urine was so dark while drinking nothing but water, he really didn't give an explanation for why this happens but at least I knew I was dying~~haha.

Also the part where he said you only need 1-3 quarts of water while on your water fast, more than that and you will mess up your electrolyte balance. That was really good to find out since I have not had any feet or leg cramps and I guess that's why.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:52 PM   #708
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks GApeach23, I'll have to go take a look and see what I can find. As much as I like 'The Miracle of Fasting', I'd like more scientific info (such as the stages of detox the longer you fast).

Ok Cinder we're on for September 28th to October 4th! Can't wait.

I start my 36er tonight till Wednesday morning. Anyone else 'on' for tonight?

I keep forgetting to tell you all about a detox tea I drink in the morning. It's called Detox A.M. by Celestial Seasonings. It has Milk Thistle (wasn't someone previously interested in this?) Dandelion, Sarsaparilla and other good things. My liver needs this. It's great!

By the way, anyone ever do a liver cleanse? If so, how did you feel and what was it like? Thanks for any info!

Nady that's great about the weight!

Lori
Old 09-08-2003, 03:55 PM   #709
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: candoit
WOE: My own carb way
Start Date: June 1, 2008
A helpful hint I went to my library and they were able to find this book (Fasting and eating for your health). You can give them a list of the books you'd like and they will be more than happy to find them through their computer. I just got it today. I will be glued to this book untill I'm finished.

A four day fast was the longest I could do. Then I did a 36 hr.
I feel so full of life when I'm finshed, I have so much energy and spunk!

Wish you all the best!

Carrol

July 1,--
Aug.1--
Old 09-09-2003, 01:23 AM   #710

Gallery: Kose
day 3 down.

OMG. i had the weirdest dream last night. i dreamt that i was eating. and i woke up wondering if i did eat anot. hahahaha. wad a dream. is dis mental detox?
Old 09-09-2003, 01:23 AM   #711

Gallery: Kose
day 3 down.

OMG. i had the weirdest dream last night. i dreamt that i was eating. and i woke up wondering if i did eat anot. hahahaha. wad a dream.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:03 AM   #712
Major LCF Poster!

Re: day 3 down.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kose
OMG. i had the weirdest dream last night. i dreamt that i was eating. and i woke up wondering if i did eat anot. hahahaha. wad a dream.
I know what you mean about weird dreams. When I did my 3 day fast I was having very violent dreams (knives, axes and the like!). It didn't scare me , but it made me wonder if it was just mental detox?!

Well been fasting since 8pm last night. Feeling ok.

Carol~ I have checked my library but it's so small they don't have anything! I have to buy whatever I want. Thanks for the tip, though.

Lori
Old 09-09-2003, 05:55 AM   #713
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AllisonB
Stats: Day of surgery:255/Today:142/Goal:140
Start Date: RNY 8/20/2012
I started my fast Sunday night, and this morning (Tuesday) I have lost 4 lbs. of water. My only complaint is a very mild headache. I'm going to keep going rather than break it this afternoon. I'm glad to hear everyone else is doing well!
Old 09-09-2003, 06:00 AM   #714
lovinatkins

Gallery: lovinatkins
BLEW IT! For the first time since 36ing for the past five weeks, I blew it. I only made it through half the day yesterday and then broke down and ate. TOM is here and I just felt off kilter all day and dizzy. I decided to 36 after TOM is over, so Thursday or Friday. I was bummed, but it just didn't feel right this time. GOod job outta the rest of you all though!

Old 09-09-2003, 06:24 AM   #715
Major LCF Poster!

lovinatkins~
You didn't 'blow' it!! The whole point about this is learning to listen to your body and do what's best for YOU at any given time.
You'll do it another time when you're ready!

Lori
Old 09-09-2003, 08:00 AM   #716
Blabbermouth!!!

Goodmorning everyone,

One day I'll have enough time to respond to everyone, sorry I can't right now, maybe later today.

Well after posting yesterday afternoon that I had no hunger, it reared its ugly head last night about 7:00 pm, I struggled so hard between eating and not, I just didn't want to blow all the hard work I had done so far, so I just went to bed at 8:30 pm without eating, so glad I didn't eat.

I'm in very heavy ketosis according to the sticks and the breath that could kill a small animal~~lol, so not understanding why I'm getting hungrier as this goes on instead of less hunger. Although, it does go in spells, most of the day I'm not hungry, but when it hits good gawd, horrible.

Hubby won "The Miracle of Fasting" book on an e-bay auction for me last night, but he says it could take up to a week to get here, I hope not, I really want to read it. Also the other two fasting books I ordered from Barnes and Nobles should be here about the same time.

I'm just really interested in the best way to break the fast when it comes time (whenever my body says enough), the other books I have all suggest so many carbs, and after low carbing since 1999, I'm just not willing to break this thing with a ton of carbs.

If anyone has any other good suggestions for breaking the fast that doesn't include fruits or such let me know, I know I've seen broth, but what else?

Sorry so long, got the fasting rambles I guess~~~~lol.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:23 AM   #717
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: GwnStfni
Stats: 231/168.4/131
WOE: Atkins & Stillman's
Start Date: Restart 02/13/2010
Hey Everyone. Just checking in. I broke my fast last Friday so it's 4/5 days. I'm still holding at about 216. Well the scale officially reads 213/214 but it may be off by 2 lbs so I'm calling it 215/216. Which means I haven't gained anything back. I spent two days eating liquids and a little bit of chicken and then eased myself back into induction w/ lots of water. If the weight hasn't come back on yet I doubt it will. Hoping to reach ONEderland soon!

I am up for the 9/24 fast as well so COUNT ME IN!
Original Stats (6/9/03): 275/147 (128lbs lost)
Old 09-09-2003, 11:35 AM   #718
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: handicapped91
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6/9/03
30 Day detox

Hi Guys.
Still holding at 123. It is definately the low carb eating that has kept the weight off. GApeach I broke my 7 day fast with diluted V-8 juice in the morning and beef broth in the afternoon and evening. Joel Furmans book recomends one day of juice for every week of fasting.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:07 PM   #719
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: carbaddict33
Stats: 40 pounds gone forever!
WOE: lo-carb
Start Date: 8/25/03
Ok. . . i've been reading about the fasts and I'm seriously interested. I've read a couple posts of recommended reading, but didn't want to wait to finish a book. I've also read a couple of websites through the URL links. I have a couple more questions.

One site says that you should stay in bed, eyes closed the whole time you fast. Is that right? I work full time, does that mean I won't be able to fast? I'm certain some of you stay at home, but who says that isn't a full time job? How are you doing it?

30 day fast? Wow ! I'm in awe. Like I said before, I tried it once a few years ago and I couldn't make it through the day. I had absolutely no will power. How are some of you doing it? I thought I'd try a 36 hour fast. Is that a good starting point for a beginner? What are some of the things that you are doing to resist the temptation? This IS about willpower correct? Having control over your food?

I'd like to share why I'm interested. I obsess over food. I'm not even finished eating my meal before i'm thinking and planning the next. If I slip up once, I think, oh well, I've blown it and then I binge. I feel like I have no control. I've read several posts that mention fasting helps people gain control over food.

Are you doing any sort of exercising? Gentle or otherwise? Will this help get into deep ketosis? What about coming out of the fast? How do you ease your body back in? Broths? no solid food? or Stillman? or Induction?

Congratulations to those that are finding success. I truly am inspired. Please let me know what you gained from fasting. Was it worth it? Would you do it again? Did you experience any ill effects? What are your recommendations to a newbie like me? Thanks!
Old 09-09-2003, 12:35 PM   #720
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by carbaddict33
Ok. . . i've been reading about the fasts and I'm seriously interested. I've read a couple posts of recommended reading, but didn't want to wait to finish a book. I've also read a couple of websites through the URL links. I have a couple more questions.

One site says that you should stay in bed, eyes closed the whole time you fast. Is that right? I work full time, does that mean I won't be able to fast? I'm certain some of you stay at home, but who says that isn't a full time job? How are you doing it?

30 day fast? Wow ! I'm in awe. Like I said before, I tried it once a few years ago and I couldn't make it through the day. I had absolutely no will power. How are some of you doing it? I thought I'd try a 36 hour fast. Is that a good starting point for a beginner? What are some of the things that you are doing to resist the temptation? This IS about willpower correct? Having control over your food?

I'd like to share why I'm interested. I obsess over food. I'm not even finished eating my meal before i'm thinking and planning the next. If I slip up once, I think, oh well, I've blown it and then I binge. I feel like I have no control. I've read several posts that mention fasting helps people gain control over food.

Are you doing any sort of exercising? Gentle or otherwise? Will this help get into deep ketosis? What about coming out of the fast? How do you ease your body back in? Broths? no solid food? or Stillman? or Induction?

Congratulations to those that are finding success. I truly am inspired. Please let me know what you gained from fasting. Was it worth it? Would you do it again? Did you experience any ill effects? What are your recommendations to a newbie like me? Thanks!
Hey there, well I can tell you the book I have by Joel Furhman M.D. called "Fasting and eating for Health" does recommend bedrest, he actually hospitalized most of his patients. I'm not sure when his book was written but I think that is just not do able in todays times, when most people do work outside the home. I've got one hour to go before my 5th day of fasting is up. I don't have alot of energy when I get home, I work about 10.5 hours per day and make it through the day just fine, after I get home, well that is another story, way too tired and go to bed about 3 hours earlier than usual.

I'm not excersing, would not even attempt it and I have been a member at a gym for years.

Also I never signed on for the 30 days, I will only go 12-15 if I make it that long, I'm taking one day at a time. Still not really sure how I will break the fast that is something I have been giving alot of thought to and will know when it is time.

Good Luck and welcome,