Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2003, 03:31 PM   #481
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Nady

Here's the illistration from Dr. Bragg's Fasting Book~ *The Miracle Of Fasting* page 99. Sorry Kimmer~ I don't see a thyroid there~

I love my new printer/scanner!
~~~N

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2003, 06:54 PM   #482
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: candoit
WOE: My own carb way
Start Date: June 1, 2008
I broke my fast on the eveving of day 4. Had jello, broth,
scrambled eggs, and a suger free popsicle. Husband keep worrying about my blood suger so low 58 and I've been so cold. Next day I even lost to my surprise 2.5 lbs.
Today I've had salad, and Salmon loaf, and salad. Felt like I was on a high all day, had alot of energy and spunk. Now for supper I might have ate to much. Chichen breast with salad. Do you all think that is too much solid food too soon. I'm feeling really stuffed. I'd like to go on the 36 hr. fast with you all.

Day 1--- Aug. 25--162
Day 2----Aug. 26--158.5
Day3---Aug.27---157
Day 4--Aug 28---155.5--Broke water fast
Day5---Aug. 29--153

July 1,--
Aug.1--
Old 08-29-2003, 07:01 PM   #483
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ohsque
Stats: 262 | 260 | 180
WOE: simply low carb...
Start Date: 08/26/2013
great info on the *map*.... Dr. Bragg just sold another book when I find it!

out of curiosity, do you think the women's area - ovaries, tubes etc... can be detoxed? I've been suffering from infertility- and just wondered......

btw, my day 4 fast is coming to a close, gonna keep on keepin' on- Today I felt great!
Old 08-29-2003, 07:14 PM   #484
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lori42
Stats: 144/128/125
WOE: Moderate carb, whole foods
Start Date: May 2003
Anyone interested in purchasing 'The Miracle of Fasting' can get it at the Bragg website.

I bought this book and the one about apple cider vinegar. It came in 2 days!

They were very reasonable. I'm reading these books now.

Lori
Old 08-29-2003, 07:55 PM   #485
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: GwnStfni
Stats: 231/168.4/131
WOE: Atkins & Stillman's
Start Date: Restart 02/13/2010
Hello;

Been following this thread from the beginning and had a question or two. I have fasted before, several 3 day fasts and one 7 day fast. Every time I fasted it was purely for detox reasons, I didn't even own a scale at the time and so I never tracked my weight during the fasts.

My question is, I do enjoy the way I feel when fasting and wouldn't mind joining you on the weekend fasts or maybe longer. However I am wondering, will I mess with my metabolism unnecessarily by doing so? I'm entering my 12th week of induction starting Monday and I've been steadily losing about 3lbs per week for the last month or so. Should I wait until I lose some more weight or do you think it's safe for me to fast now? I'm just worried that fasting might make it more difficult for me to lose the weight when I go back to induction. Anyone have any thoughts or opinions? I'm 25yrs old and I exercise 5x a week if that helps in answering my questions...

Thanks!
Original Stats (6/9/03): 275/147 (128lbs lost)
Old 08-29-2003, 08:24 PM   #486
Seriouslyme

Gallery: Seriouslyme
1 day off fast

Hi all!

Hey, Lori...great Idea...we can post a fast thread on Sunday's, and then whomever wants to can check in. Even those just wanting to say hi, while they are not fasting. I would like to fast again, say 36 hours end of September.

Nady..thanks for posting the diagram. VERY cool.

Candoit...I do think you should eat until you are full, but not til you are overfilled. Best to really watch your intake, mostly so you don't gain weight, or put too much stress on yourself.

Ohsque...please read some of the links that you will find at the beginning of this thread...there are many sources that say the detox is for the entire body, not just one area.

Belle...nice to 'see' ya

Kimmer....Yes, I was a CASA...however, on my second 'case' I was issued a child who had 6 siblings. Eventually, I ended up with all 7 of them as one case. The judge approved it even tho it was unusual. After that case, (ugh, sooooooo difficult due to various tragedies for the families; all 5 foster families, and a couple of different dads, and one bio-mom that was totally a mess) I stopped my work with CASA...I was emotionally spent. Now that I am 'rested' I think I will go your route, as a foster mom. There is such a need.

OK fasters......I had about 300 calories today and feel VERY satisfied. I might have a 'snack' when I get up from a needed nap. Wish the fasting would have 'fixed' my thyroid....

Kisses!

Old 08-29-2003, 08:38 PM   #487
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ***Julez38***
Okay here I am again it has been over a week and everyone at work decided to have a b-day LUNCH for me at work today so I ate. UGH So I have decide to get through this weekend (the fair is in town) and start on Wednsday the day my children go back to school. I just have to do this. I felt so good just on a few days of cleansing. Kimmer you are like a celebrity on these posts Actually you seem to have such great info and are really good at encouraging every one. Candoit you look so great!!!! Well I am going to go I will check back probably on Wed. Thank you to all of you who continue to post I really am inspired by all of you. Julie
ECCLESIASTICUS 6:14
160/143/120
39years old 5'2 Mother of 3 beautiful boys......19,17,&13
Old 08-29-2003, 10:13 PM   #488

Quote:
Originally posted by GwnStfni
My question is, I do enjoy the way I feel when fasting and wouldn't mind joining you on the weekend fasts or maybe longer. However I am wondering, will I mess with my metabolism unnecessarily by doing so?
I don't know the answer~ I can only tell you my experiences.

I've fasted several times over the last 30 years, both for weight loss and for detoxing. I can tell you that my metabolism has slowed down, but so does everybody's ~ about 10% per decade, I'm at the typical 30% or so loss and that's why I'm overweight. I eat like I'm still 20.

Anyway, every time I've fasted, I never noticed any decrease of metabolism from where I was prior to the fast~ I was able to maintain weight losses as long as I didn't return to the junk food habits that caused the weight gain in the first place. Perhaps fasting triggers other systems in the body, unlike simply eating a severely reduced calorie diet.

I always felt that fasting seemed to 'reset' the body~ kind of like re-booting a computer~ and it worked more like it's pre-set (genetic) program, metabolism included. Perhaps fasting 'cures' a sluggish metabolism caused by starvation diets? I know I'm not concerned~ never had a problem before, don't expect one now. I don't know if that helps you or not~
~~~N
Old 08-29-2003, 10:14 PM   #489

Hey ***Julez38*** ~ Happy Birthday!
~~~N
Old 08-29-2003, 10:16 PM   #490
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: blooming
Stats: 254/215/a healthier me at 150
WOE: moderate carbs
Nady - that's a really neat diagram. I can't help but wonder how a tongue piercing would affect someones heart? LOL
Old 08-29-2003, 10:45 PM   #491

Quote:
Originally posted by blooming
Nady - that's a really neat diagram. I can't help but wonder how a tongue piercing would affect someones heart? LOL
Never even thought about that! LOL~
~~~N
Old 08-30-2003, 07:07 AM   #492
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Checking in with my experiences on adding foods after fasting. Have made a major discovery for me!!Plain yogurt does not bother me but Blue Bunny flavored FF sure does. Maybe it is the extra chemicals in it. BB is now on my avoid list. Am waiting awhile before I add eggs back. I am afraid they could be a trigger too.

I am down a pound this morning. Makes no sense. BUT I WILL TAKE IT.

Slept like a log last night, am up early and full of energy. Check ya later
Adi
Old 08-30-2003, 07:39 AM   #493
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ohsque
Stats: 262 | 260 | 180
WOE: simply low carb...
Start Date: 08/26/2013
OMG I've made it to Day 5 !

Here I am at day 5... and really can't believe it!
and today, I feel totally well rested and feeling great! I'm also down another 1.5 lbs- and really enjoying this benefit from the detoxing!

My fasting stats:
8/26 Day 1 227.5 hunger pains- unbelievable!
8/27 Day 2 223 (-4.5) hunger pains & HORRIBLE Headache!!!
8/28 Day 3 217.5 (-5.5) no hunger- slight naggin' headache, low motivation/energy level.
8/29 Day 4 215.5 (-2) no hunger, alittle tired (but hey, I worked an 11 hour shift too!)
8/30 Day 5 214 (-1.5).....

Total loss is 13.5 pounds

adillenal I can't wait to start to introduce foods to find out triggers! This is totally amazing! WTG on another lb!

Nady I'm hoping like you- a *re-booting* of sorts to the system. I had been yo-yoing for the past 6 months and really needed the mindset & focus of this fast!

Blooming yikes about the tongue piercing! something to ponder, huh!

Seriouslyme Thanks for all your info you've provided throughout this thread...

Lori thanks for the info about the book- could you pm me the link perchance?

candoit .. fellow Mississippian here and boy your before/after pics are fabulous! You are surely an inspiration! Keep on keepin' on!

allisonb..OOooo yummmy but what's that yellow stuff on that plate????

kimmer I am just amazed and glad to see your good b/w results. I wish I had done a before fast workup- then during- and certainly after one!!

libbyann ain't the feeling of control wonderful! I find myself more assertive and controled in all areas of my life now for some reason!

Ok, I know there's more out there- but I've got to get my self to work Howdy to everyone else, and best wishes today in all you do!
~susie

Old 08-30-2003, 08:18 AM   #494
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: karat
Stats: 176/176/130
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: Jan 7, 2008
would like to join regular fasts, too

I would love the support of a thread for weekly fasters. I can do Wed. to Friday am, too.

Nady, you really hit the nail on the head when you described this process as "rebooting" the computer (body). I have had such a fresh start since my last fast; great energy, no rebound weight gain (other than expected water), and a stomach that doesn't expect to be filled to bursting.

For those of us with a problem of stuffing ourselves, this is a great way to "reset" what our stomachs think ithey need. I am very full on soooo much less, and am not fighting the demon of carb cravings.

I look forward to the weekly thread.

karat
Old 08-30-2003, 08:42 AM   #495

Gallery:
Day 13

Day 1 136.0 (water only)
Day 2 133.5 (water only)
Day 3 130.5 (water only)
Day 4 128.0 (water only)
Day 5 126.5 (water only)
Day 6 125.5 (water only)
Day 7 125.0 (water only)
Day 8 124.5 (water only)
Day 9 123.5 (water only)
Day 10 123.5 (water only)
Day 11 122.0 (water only)
Day 12 121.5 (tea/broth)
Day 13 120.5 (tea/broth/Centrum)

Good Saturday morning! I stayed with teas yesterday until I got home from work, then made some "quickie" veggie broth, extra garlic. Today I'm add chickie broth (got one roasting right now before the heat kills me, LOL). I'm also adding my Centrum to see if I can tell a "difference" in how I feel. The fat from the chickie broth will be enough to carry the fat soluble vitamins.

My surprises? That I don't feel ANY different from adding the tea or broth! I still feel remarkably GOOD, the energy boost I was expecting is in (I don't get it on the my weekend fasts?), and I have to clean my house extra good because the foster agency is doing my home inspection on Monday (yes, the holiday!) I'm more nervous about this visit then when my MIL would visit, LOL (her home was antiseptically clean).

I had a PM from someone asking if a 1 day fast would help with ketosis. Yes! Nothing like 0 carbs and 0 cal to get you into ketosis QUICK -- downside is you'll have the Day 1 "ickies" (or whine constantly like me ... )

Old 08-30-2003, 08:42 AM   #496
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: handicapped91
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6/9/03
30 Day Detox

Hi Guys,
WAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I gained 2 lbs. It could be that I haven't had a BM since I started the fast. It's been 4 days since I broke it. I have always had a problem with constipation. I drink a herbal laxative tea every day and I read here about Milk Thissel so I have been taking them for a few weeks. I was taking 4 a day but upped it to 6 yesterday. I am still eating induction type foods and drinking my water, between 64-100oz a day. I think the 36 hr fast will help me to maintain my weight.
Old 08-30-2003, 10:14 AM   #497

Good Morning Everyone~
Well, I broke the fast yesterday~ so far, so good~ holding with a 9 pound loss. I'm going to do a 36 hr. fast today though, I want to continue with the weight loss and I still have a little eczema on the palms of my hands I want to get rid of.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate this thread~ reading how everyone is doing~ It really helps me stay the course! Thanks, everybody!

And I'll be there for a weekly thread~ probably every day for a while! I want to weigh what Kimmer does!
~~~N
Old 08-30-2003, 10:25 AM   #498

Gallery: Kose
hmm....

whenever i feel like i haf the munchies, i'll chew on ice cubes. is dat okay?
Old 08-30-2003, 11:14 AM   #499
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: julietcc
Stats: JUDDD - 118.6/112/112-115 highest weight 194 5'4"
WOE: Atkins, then JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD 10/26/11
Hi ladies. I've decided to do a 3 day water fast. I already ate breakfast before deciding this so I won't eat until Tuesday. I am sure going to miss my morning coffee! My longest fast before this was 5 days but that was about 10 years ago. I've done several one day fasts since January. Is anyone doing a water/diet soda fast? I'm not going to this time but I was just wondering. I hate to admit it but I am doing this for weight loss, not detoxification. I'm going to try to read this whole thread today and learn a few things. I will eat SF gum because I can't handle having foul breath . . . especially at work!

My official "Day 1" will be tomorrow since I ate breakfast. I weighed 160.5 this morning.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:50 AM   #500
Major LCF Poster!

adillenal :
I'm glad you found your culprit! I just buy flavor concentrates to flavor my plain yogurt. Pm me if you want more details!

I'm so thrilled many of you want to continue this (fasting for 36 hours per week)! I guess whoever posts first on Sunday, maybe it would be a good idea to post Kimmer's links about fasting? We want everyone well read and informed about making their (very personal) decision to fast. Kimmer I just want to say thank you for starting the original thread about fasting and this challenge!

What do ya think, guys? Sound good?

Lori

(and what exactly was that picture of?? Didn't make ME want to eat lol!)
Old 08-30-2003, 12:08 PM   #501
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Lori - thanks for the offer. When I eat the plain yogurt I am usually happy with just a few frozen raspberries or strawberries for flavor. Don't even want extra sweetener anymore. My how my tastes have changed.
Old 08-30-2003, 12:19 PM   #502

Gallery:
Re: hmm....

Quote:
Originally posted by Kose
whenever i feel like i haf the munchies, i'll chew on ice cubes. is dat okay?
Water is water!

I'm actually in a cleaning frenzy, but wanted to post that I don't feel exhausted! Don't get me wrong, I'm 'tired' -- the way you get when you mop 4 floors, scour the ENTIRE kitchen, scrub down 2 bathrooms, etc. -- but not "flop on the couch" exhausted like I was before. Is this part of the detox? I don't think it's the B vits from the Centrum, that was only 30 minutes ago. Anywho, if this keeps up, my "I can't exercise" excuse is wearing thin, LOL! My arms and legs ARE NOT burning (that's why I couldn't exercise).

I'm thinking of add a spoon here and there of yogurt, will begin some veggies tomorrow. I wanted to fast longer (especially since I'm on a roll now!), but "summer casual" wardrobe is over and I have to wear my business clothes to work on Tuesday. Nothing fits! I tried on a skirt, hips are loose but passable, the waist is WAY too big. I'll have to figure something to get me through until some of the weight comes back (my boss is into the 'executive' look). Sorry, didn't mean to complain, I just don't have $ for more clothes right now and I liked my size.

Welcome new people! Welcome 3 lurkers who PMed me! I'll post more this afternoon/evening.

Old 08-30-2003, 12:33 PM   #503

Lori~ How's this~ http://www.low-carb-friends.com/bbs/...hreadid=142117
We can just keep bumping them~ that way they won't get buried weekly threads!
~~~N
Old 08-30-2003, 12:44 PM   #504
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Island Blue
Start Date: 4/17/03
36 Hour Fast

[COLOR=blue]I'm going to start Monday night since I have food-related plans Monday-day. So c'mon all that are interested!

I didn't have many detox symptoms either. Whitish tongue, and the last couple days I had mondo metal mouth, but no aches, pimples or extra oil. I think my dark/cloudy urine was a result of my UTI. So who knows what was going on inside.

I'm hoping a 36-hour fast will continue healing and purging gunk. I also want to continue to battle the appetite demon.

I'm just going to drink water to maximize my body's ability to heal.

Also, for those that are fasting for weight loss only, I strongly urge you to READ the posts of those of us that have come off the fasts. You WILL gain weight back. Please understand this.

Speaking of - has anyone "seen" DeborahT from the original fasting thread?

Seriously - Check your PM's

Kimmer and everyone else - Have a WONDERFUL day!! xoxo
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]Please pray for our troops, freedom isn't free[/COLOR]
Old 08-30-2003, 03:11 PM   #505
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AllisonB
Stats: Day of surgery:255/Today:142/Goal:140
Start Date: RNY 8/20/2012
Day 13: Hello fellow faster! I can't believe it's Day 13 and not a single one of us has dropped dead

I started eating yesterday, and decided to break my fast with a salad instead of broth

Day 1 of water fast: 8/18/03: 225 lbs., SHS: 0
Day 2 of water fast: 8/19/03: 220 lbs., SHS: 0
Day 3 of water fast: 8/20/03: 219 lbs., SHS: -1
Day 4 of water fast: 8/21/03: 216 lbs., SHS: 0
Day 5 of water fast: 8/22/03: 212 lbs., SHS: 0
Day 6 of water fast: 8/23/03: 211 lbs., SHS: 0
Day 7 of water fast: 8/24/03: 210 lbs., SHS: 0
Day 8 of water fast: 8/25/03: 209 lbs., SHS: 0
Day 9 of water fast: 8/26/03: 207 lbs., SHS: 0
Day 10 of water fast: 8/27/03: 207 lbs., SHS: 0
Day 11 of water fast: 8/28/03: 206 lbs., SHS: 1
Day 12 of water fast: 8/29/03: 206 lbs., SHS: 2
Day 13: 8/30/03: 210 lbs., ate a salad the night of Day 12

I kept drinking all of my water and I'm holding 4 lbs. of water overnight. That's the weight equivalent of 4 bottles of my brand of water - yowzaa! Hopefully that will even itself out.

I definately want to do the 36-hour fasts. Sunday night to Tuesday will work better for me, so that's what I'll do.

I just realized I haven't eaten yet today - and I've moved my living room furniture, cleaned the master bedroom, kitchen and bathroom, shopped at the new Super-Walmart (I looked for the BB yogurt, and all they had was fat-free with outrageous carbs!), and took my son shopping for his service firearm - and I haven't once thought about food or felt hungry. I hope I didn't turn anorexic!

Kimmer, I also thank you for all of the information and encouragement you've given us. You whacko
Old 08-30-2003, 04:10 PM   #506
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: candoit
WOE: My own carb way
Start Date: June 1, 2008
HAVE TO TELL YOU ALL YESTERDAY EVENVING AFTER I ATE ANOTHER CHICHEN BREAST AND A SALAD, mY TUMMY WAS HURTING-- FOLKS STICK TO LIQUIDS FOR A COUPLE DAYS NOT SOLID FOODS RIGHT AWAY. I GAINED A 1.5 LBS. NEXT DAY. ALSO
HAD SOME PEANUTS.
Old 08-30-2003, 04:17 PM   #507
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally posted by Nady
Lori~ How's this~ http://www.low-carb-friends.com/bbs/...hreadid=142117
We can just keep bumping them~ that way they won't get buried weekly threads!
~~~N
The only reason I thought to start a new thread is because this one (and the previous O/T Fasting thread) got so long. But I didn't think about the thread getting buried! You have a point, Nady! Unless we just keep posting ! That's one way to keep it up top.

Lori

adillenal~ I haven't been adding too much fruit yet (I'm hoping fasting regularly will help with that). My blood sugar goes all over the place even with the low glycemic (spelling?) ones.
Old 08-30-2003, 04:49 PM   #508
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: justerry
Hi guys, I'd like to join you tomorrow. I plan on doing a five day fast. I just got back from vacation at Disney World and am now swollen because I couldn't drink enough water ($2.50 for a bottle!), and I ate all the wrong food. I need to get back to my discipline low carb lifestyle and this fast will help me in many ways. Wish me luck!
Old 08-30-2003, 05:55 PM   #509
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: GwnStfni
Stats: 231/168.4/131
WOE: Atkins & Stillman's
Start Date: Restart 02/13/2010
What are the details of the 36hr fast? What time of day will it begin and end? Also, why 36hrs as opposed to say 48 or 72 hrs. Just curious... Thanks
Old 08-30-2003, 06:10 PM   #510
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Island Blue
Start Date: 4/17/03
[COLOR=blue]Why 36 hours? I dunno! I guess that's a number that Lori picked and I jumped all over it! OH NO! I'm such a sheep!!! What will the PG say about THAT!

BUT WAIT!! I'm a LORI sheep, NOT a KIMMER sheep! Pssssh! Sure blew THAT notion out of the water didn't I!!!!

ANYWAY - I'm starting a short fast (never thought I'd string THOSE two words together! ) Monday night after dinner (call it "midnight") and going until Tuesday noon (I have a luncheon).

I don't know where the 36 hour numbers came from, it just works for my schedule this week.

Anybody else - jump in on here!

[/COLOR]