Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2003, 05:07 PM   #451
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lori42
Stats: 144/128/125
WOE: Moderate carb, whole foods
Start Date: May 2003
adillenal~
Sorry to hear about the yogurt! When I broke my fast on the second day I had plain full fat yogurt and it never tasted so good!
. Perhaps this would suit you better?

Island blue~ I'm going to do a 36 hour fast starting Monday night till Wednesday morning. I'm also thinking of doing this weekly. You sound great! Hope you're feeling well.

I gained back 2lbs. of the 7 I lost (the only reason I post weight stats is because of interest). I usually only weigh myself weekly if even that. I used to have a 'scale' problem and have no wish to stir that particular monster up again!

Lori

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2003, 06:18 PM   #452

Gallery:
Re: Hello Fasters!

Quote:
Originally posted by Island Blue
[COLOR=blue]Oh Kimmer - you're really gonna piss off the PG now! Tests during your fast and you're NORMAL! Seeing your doctor during a fast?? Well, I'm just sure they said no one fasting was doing THAT!!! *snicker*

I'm holding at a 10# weight loss for my 5 day fast. (thought I might as well piss them off too!)[/COLOR]
Ha! Well, the PG folk can enjoy that his nurse does think I'm nuts, LOL! When she sees me she throws her hands in air and walks away. Poor thing ...

Holding a 10 pound loss? Haven't you heard that's not possible?

Lori, you kept off 5 of the 7? That's great (and surprising!) OK, so you two are weekly fasting buddies? That would be a good group for many people to join. I'll bet you get more takers, too!

Old 08-28-2003, 07:18 PM   #453
Seriouslyme

Gallery: Seriouslyme
day 11 I think

To all.....Hi! I am back from work, and loved all the posts today. Kimmer that excerpt was fab. And Nady, thanks for the nice words.

Having tea, powdered vitamins, minerals, and beef broth with onions tonight. Sooooo I guess I am stopping again at day 11. I will stay on 5-10 carbs for awhile, and keep my calories low, and then build up slowly.

Today I was greeting a girlfriend I haven't seen in awhile...she said I was glowing! And that my skin was super soft! She thought I was in love! Alas no, but gosh, that would be lovely.

So....where are we going to keep our fasting group together, as people fast in and out?

Kimmer, so glad your numbers are good.

I am going to go rest a bit....will post later. I am extra tired today. I will have my broth later.

Hugs to ALL!!!!!

Old 08-28-2003, 07:21 PM   #454
Seriouslyme

Gallery: Seriouslyme
Oh, and Allison! Your numbers are so amazing!!! How are clothes fitting? Everything too big?

Old 08-28-2003, 09:05 PM   #455
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Nady
I'd like to stay together~ do weekly fasts, maybe a couple of longer ones? I still want to lose more weight, and I find it's just easier to fast than to eat mini bites of everything. Just as soon as we get back from our mini vacation on Monday the 9th.

So, if you set something up, count me in~ please?
~~~N
Old 08-28-2003, 11:31 PM   #456
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LilOleBelle
Stats: UCK !!!!
WOE: Low-Carb WOE
Start Date: T O S O !!!!!
Hello

All my wonderful friends, I have missed you guys very much...
Been really busy with my family, my sons school is endless and my Hubby, is home for vaction, so things are really out of order..

But I will live!!!!!!!!! Besides it keeps my mind off of F O O D !!!!!!
AH!AH!AHA!

I love readng the posts, they are wonderful, so many different aspects of fasting, so many different points, so excitting.....

And I think we are all doing wonderful, no matter, what we are doing, or how we are doing it.....

I can't believe that I have gone this long without food, an now ts like second nature.
Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I think the detoxing has begun, because I feel like, death has warmed over !!!!!
But hey, that is why we are doing this RIGHT???
Did you hear that PG, I'm DETOXINGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!

O'kay, I have to go now and soak in a warm bubble bath, muscles are calling SCRUB/SOAK, so I shall answer....

Love Belle
xoxoxo

Last edited by LilOleBelle; 08-29-2003 at 12:29 AM..
Old 08-29-2003, 05:29 AM   #457
Major LCF Poster!

Re: Re: Hello Fasters!

Quote:
Originally posted by Kimmer

Lori, you kept off 5 of the 7? That's great (and surprising!) OK, so you two are weekly fasting buddies? That would be a good group for many people to join. I'll bet you get more takers, too!
Kimmer~
I thought I would gain more back, too! Not that I'm complaining. Now that the weight's gone I like it! heehee
Also I just got my period yesterday so I even wonder about the 2lb. gain (that's usual for me at this time).

Perhaps I was eating more carbs than I thought? I'm not super dilligent about that! I've been more careful now about what I eat and feel better for it, too.

I'd love to have a weekly check in for fasting! Whether it's 36 hour ones or longer ones (I'm still planning my 7-10 day fast for the end of September if anyone's interested).

Lori

Last edited by Lori42; 08-29-2003 at 05:31 AM..
Old 08-29-2003, 05:48 AM   #458
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AllisonB
Stats: Day of surgery:255/Today:142/Goal:140
Start Date: RNY 8/20/2012
Day 12: I still feel great, not even tired. No change in weight this morning. My sinuses are draining again. No other complaints except the terrible taste in my mouth.

Day 1 of water fast: 8/18/03: 225 lbs., SHS: 0
Day 2 of water fast: 8/19/03: 220 lbs., SHS: 0
Day 3 of water fast: 8/20/03: 219 lbs., SHS: -1
Day 4 of water fast: 8/21/03: 216 lbs., SHS: 0
Day 5 of water fast: 8/22/03: 212 lbs., SHS: 0
Day 6 of water fast: 8/23/03: 211 lbs., SHS: 0
Day 7 of water fast: 8/24/03: 210 lbs., SHS: 0
Day 8 of water fast: 8/25/03: 209 lbs., SHS: 0
Day 9 of water fast: 8/26/03: 207 lbs., SHS: 0
Day 10 of water fast: 8/27/03: 207 lbs., SHS: 0
Day 11 of water fast: 8/28/03: 206 lbs., SHS: 1
Day 12 of water fast: 8/29/03: 206 lbs., SHS: 2 (19 lbs.!)
Old 08-29-2003, 06:25 AM   #459
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ohsque
Stats: 262 | 260 | 180
WOE: simply low carb...
Start Date: 08/26/2013
Day 4

Good Morning...

Unbelievably, I've made it to day 4! This is something I have never done ever- so I am just beeming with pride today. and you know what??? I feel great! I am ready to tackle the world- and really have a higher sense of self enpowerment- what an high it is to be in control of what I do/eat.

This morning, after a great sleep, I awoke to a slight warming all over kind of sensation... is this a detoxing benefit?

I also wonder if I am in ketosis yet (no strips here ) as my urine is still somewhat light/clear- and no metal taste yet in the mouth!

Thanks again for the wonderful words of support & info provided here. Those of fasting over a week- y'all are my hero's!

Susie's stats:
8/26 Day 1 227.5 hunger pains- unbelievable!
8/27 Day 2 223 (-4.5) hunger pains & HORRIBLE Headache!!!
8/28 Day 3 217.5(-5.5) no hunger-slight naggin' headache, low motivation/energy
8/29 Day 4 215.5(-2)...
Total loss is 12 pounds {water, water, water!}

Ok, off to work for me.
Congrats to all of you!

~susie

Last edited by Ohsque; 08-29-2003 at 06:26 AM..
Old 08-29-2003, 06:29 AM   #460
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Seriouslyme
Oh, and Allison! Your numbers are so amazing!!! How are clothes fitting? Everything too big?
Yes, everything is a little bigger. I always notice it more in my shirts first. I now have a waist - if only my hips would fall away!

Edited to add: I had a dentist appt. yesterday to have a filling re-done. I warned him that I had terrible ketosis breath (despite brushing my entire mouth and a cup of Scope!), and he said "no problem, you and half of my other patients...." Not sure if he meant ketosis breath or bad breath in general

Last edited by AllisonB; 08-29-2003 at 06:33 AM..
Old 08-29-2003, 06:34 AM   #461
Big Yapper!!!!

Re: Re: Re: Hello Fasters!

Quote:
Originally posted by Lori42
......I'd love to have a weekly check in for fasting! Whether it's 36 hour ones or longer ones (I'm still planning my 7-10 day fast for the end of September if anyone's interested).

Lori
I will probably join you for that!
Old 08-29-2003, 06:46 AM   #462
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Checking in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Had water and broth in the afternoon. Did not eat anything until evening. Tried the plain Dannon fullfat yogurt. Had to go take a nap I was sooo tired. Hmmm. Yogurt may be a problem?

Had warm water, salt and lemon this morning. Decided I would try something for breakfast so I whipped up a shake. Haven't had any ill effects from it yet. Not hungry but I am thirsty.

GOOD THING about my fast. I got off carbonated beverages AGAIN. I had let myself break down and was drinking way too many even if they weren't caffeine drinks. That will help my health.

Would love to join a group later in Sept for a 36 hour fast. Am thinking this is something I can do periodically. Maybe not monthly but who knows. Makes me feel in control.

WOW. Blood tests and all while fasting. Yep that should just put some folks over the wall.

Going to have a great day. Better eyesight is still here so I am without my glasses.
HAVE A GREAT DAY.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
Old 08-29-2003, 06:47 AM   #463
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: warmsummerbreeze
Stats: 211.5/176/125 - 199/199/125 - 211/207/125
WOE: Atkins - Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2003/Sept. 15, 2004/Feb. 14, 2005
Even though I've not joined in on actually fasting with everyone I have checked in and read every single post.

I have learned and gathered valuble information for when I decide to "detox".

I will be doing a 24-36 hour fast in the next week or so. Last month the first day of TOM i did one and my flow was lighter and things were not nearly as sever as they usually are. So I have decided to do it the first day of TOM and see how it goes. I will not set a time limit but will shoot for 36 hours.

That said, I would love to be part of any thread with you guys here. You are all so sweet, smart, fun and wise. Who wouldn't want to be a part of such a great group of ladies.

Count me in on any future challenges, even if I don't actually do it I will be cheering you all on and sending out daily prayers.

"We are all capable of infinitely more than we believe. We are stronger and more resourceful than we know, and we can endure much more than we think we can. In truth, the only restrictions on our capacity to astonish ourselves and each other are imposed by our own minds." ?David Blaine

Last edited by warmsummerbreeze; 08-29-2003 at 06:49 AM..
Old 08-29-2003, 07:03 AM   #464
Big Yapper!!!!

warmsummerbreeze - what nice thoughts. Bless you.

I forgot to say that since I only lost 2 pounds which I am sure I will put back on in the form of water, that must mean I am really at the best weight for my body. I will maintain at 145 and start back with my exercise program to tone. Fasting gave me the answer to my goal weight question.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:46 AM   #465
lovinatkins

Gallery: lovinatkins
Hey gang! Sounds like everyone is doing really well and is happy with their fasting results. Better eyesight ROCKS!

Ohsque- If you have been fasting for four days I can't imagine that you wouldn't be in ketosis because your body burns off any left over carbs in your body within 48 hours os so. You aren't eating so you have nothing to use for fuel but fat. Don't worry about the signs others have, get in touch with your ketosis signs because everyone is different. Are you experiencing less hunger? Maybe feel warmer than usual? i don't know, but I DO know that I would bet my house you are dropping ketones.

For those who want to do a 36 hour fast weekly, please let me know. It is easiest for me to do them Sunday evening thru Tues. a.m. but I can also do Tues. eve. thru Thurs. a.m. I play tennis often and find my play is not as aggressive and I tire more easily when fasting so I don'y want to be in the midst of a fast when I play. Are those days good for anyone on a regular basis? If not, I will still continue, but it's nice to have company. To be honest though, now that I have been doing if for over a month, it is a non event. It isn't even hard anymore, just routine! I do hope we can get a little group together though, that would be fun even if we aren't on the same days.

Old 08-29-2003, 09:13 AM   #466
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: michigangrad
Stats: 233/165/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 7, 2003
Ok, after reading ALL these posts since the thread started, I am going to give it a shot. Haven't had anything but water today... hope I can make it through the day!

My reasons for wanting to do this are for detox, weight loss and religious reasons.

You all are doing GREAT! I hope that I can be as successful at this as you all are.

Day 1: 187
Old 08-29-2003, 09:14 AM   #467

Good Morning Everyone!
Can't believe it's been a week for me already! I wonder if it's reasonable to do 24 hr. fasts while on vacation? I really want to keep the ball rolling but still relax and enjoy the trip. Well, I'll give a whirl~ luckily, DH isn't much of a morning eater and often get too busy for lunch too~ don't suppose that's why he's never had a weight problem, do you?

Have a great day!
~~~N
Old 08-29-2003, 09:23 AM   #468

Quote:
Originally posted by lovinatkins
For those who want to do a 36 hour fast weekly, please let me know. It is easiest for me to do them Sunday evening thru Tues. a.m. but I can also do Tues. eve. thru Thurs. a.m. I play tennis often and find my play is not as aggressive and I tire more easily when fasting so I don'y want to be in the midst of a fast when I play. Are those days good for anyone on a regular basis?
Yes! Those are the same days I was planning on fasting~ Actually I plan on doing both days and adding another 36 hr. fast on Saturday~ until my weight is back to normal, then fast once a week~ Probably Monday~
~~~N
Old 08-29-2003, 09:24 AM   #469

Gallery:
Day 12

Day 1 136.0
Day 2 133.5
Day 3 130.5
Day 4 128.0
Day 5 126.5
Day 6 125.5
Day 7 125.0
Day 8 124.5
Day 9 123.5
Day 10 123.5
Day 11 122.0
Day 12 121.5

I'm surprised I lost anything after yesterday's 'purge', but so be it!

I'm ending my water faster earlier than I had planned. I've been invited to a Labor Day BBQ and I'd like to have more than water, and it's not that far from 14 days.

So ... in a few minutes I'm going to make some weak green tea (no sweetener), sip on a couple cups of that until dinner ... veggie broth here I come!

Seriously, you were a CASA too? How wonderful you are! For anyone who doesn't know, a CASA is a Court Appointed Special Advocate, a volunteer who is assigned to a child in the court system and a 1-on-1 advocate for that child. You make sure they are receiving appropriate medical/dental care, therapy, clothing, special education if needed, etc. A social worker is assigned to maybe 60-70 kids, a CASA is assigned to 1. Anywho, a little plug for the CASA program!

Island, both Allison and I would be totally up for a Diet Dr. Pepper fast!

Ohsque, you survived 4 days! Isn't impowement just too awesome? That is the greatest gift that fasting gave to me. Are you going to be OK on the holiday? (temptation, LOL?)

Lovinatkins, I totally enjoying my ability to see! I wonder what it is about fasting that does that? Excess fluid (great, now I've got glaucoma to worry about!)

Adillenal, I don't know about the 2 lbs in 5 days, unless you were over on carbs before and it took longer to get through them -- but you were a skinny minny before, so ?

Allison, I hear you on the hips! It surprised me that I lost in the hips this time, I usually don't (I do, but not as quickly as everywhere else). Now I can sit in my small chair with arms and I don't even TOUCH the sides when I sit! Let's see what happens when the water weight comes back on ...

Old 08-29-2003, 10:39 AM   #470
Big Yapper!!!!

Kimmer - I have been eating really high carbs in the form of fruits mostly so that could be it. I am happy though
Old 08-29-2003, 10:54 AM   #471
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: handicapped91
Start Date: 6/9/03
30 Day Detox

Hi Guys,
It's been 3 days since I broke my fast. I lost 9 lbs on the fast which surprised me. I gained a lb the day after I broke it but I am the same today. I won't tell you what I ate yesterday so you don't get hungry. I found that when I fasted my stomach went down. It had always been round even when I was at my lowest weight (108). The day after I broke my fast it swelled up again. All I can figure is that I must retain water and that's where it goes. Count me in with the 36 hr fast. I can do it on Wed at 8:00 pm to Friday at 8:00 am.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:00 AM   #472
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LibbyAnn
Hello All!

Well, I wanted to check in prior to the weekend as no computer access over then.

Background:

I fasted a few days a few weeks ago, and have perviously done it a few times (short 2-3 ay fasts) over the past few years.

Currently:
I fasted for 2.5 days last week. (Wed. p.m. - Saturday afternoon)
I did not fast Saturday p.m. or Sunday (Special plans with DH)
I started fasting again on Monday. On Wednesday I started using ACV, Magnesium supplements and table salt (I am waiting for my King Arthur salt to be delivered) as I had signs of dehydration (thanks Nady). And here we are at Friday afternoon already. So far, so good.

Question:

I have no signs of detox that I can see (I am doing this for detox purposes). My tongue is slightly white on the sides. I don't know about my breath... maybe a little bad, but certainly does not feel metalic. I have had no headaches, acne, pains, nausea or soreness no outward signs that I can see at all ... I am just wondering if it takes longer to set in for some people. I was really looking forward to those signs as evidence that I am really helping rid my body of toxins (and I know I have them just from what I have eaten etc. in my life... plus I quit smoking about 3 months ago and am sure I have toxins from 17 years of that to get rid of!).

I am not hungary. I actually have not had a problem with that at all even on day one. I would just like to eat out of habit. I am registering strong on ketostix (checked last night)... so wondering why no signs of detox.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone

-LibbyAnn

Stats (FYI):
Height: 5' 8"

Last Week:
Day 1 146.5
Day 2 144
Day 3 142

New Start:
Day 1 146 (Monday)
Day 2 142
Day 3 140.5
Day 4 139.5
Day 5 138 Edited to add today's weight... forgot to put it in...

Last edited by LibbyAnn; 08-29-2003 at 11:52 AM..
Old 08-29-2003, 11:40 AM   #473
Big Yapper!!!!

Libby - I had no hunger the first few days either and the only signs of detox I had was my joint pain in my hands went away and my eyesight got better. As far as any bad things, I never experienced them. DOn't the answer. Maybe we are less toxic than we thought
Old 08-29-2003, 11:51 AM   #474
Junior LCF Member

adillenal,

Thanks for the response. Boy, I hope that is the case! I just keep waiting for some sign, and nothing. My urine is even clear (sorry if TMI) and I hear others speaking of dark urine.

Well, I will just assume that it is good news.

I am not sure if I will fast over the long weekend. DH or DBF however I want to refer to him (not married, but have lived together for 17 years) is not too keen on the not eating idea. At all. If I do break fast I will come back and do it on an ongoing basis- the weekly 36 hour challenge sounds good to me). It really makes me feel good and in control (and I certainly hope it is helping my insides as well).

Thanks again for the info.

Best Wishes,

LibbyAnn
Old 08-29-2003, 12:20 PM   #475

Libby~ Hi! I was just reading the Dr. Bragg book on fasting~ in it he had a drawing of the tongue and the various organs of the body that correlate to the different areas of the tongue. The amount of coating indicates the amount of detox needed in those organs. I'm sure you can guess where the lungs were~ you're right, on the sides! Looks like you're healing the damage from smoking!

When I first started fasting this time, I was pleased to see that the sides of my tongue were clear~ the only part it that was ~ because I smoked for 28 years, until I quit a little over 7 years ago. Maybe it's true then, what they say about the body being all new every 7 years? Sure hope so~
~~~N
Old 08-29-2003, 12:50 PM   #476
Junior LCF Member

WOW!

That is SO intersting! I could not get that book at our library (although I have read MANY others on the topic), so I actually ordered it last week from a local bookstore. I was just informed that they can not get it because it is out of print, so I went to Barnes & Nobel and found a used copy. Only $2.12! $3.99 to ship to to me, but still.... can't beat it. I can't wait to get it. I think my favorite book on this topic so far is "The Detox Book" by Bruce Fife, N.D. VERY interesting. I think I will have to buy a copy of this book too to keep for reference.

Well, I feel much better now knowing that I am helping to clean out my lungs. I thought it was so odd just the sides of my tongue were slightly whiteish, and now I know why. See, now I fell my fasting is actually working. Thanks again.

Libby
Old 08-29-2003, 12:55 PM   #477
Major LCF Poster!

It sounds like quite a few of us would like to do a 36 hour fast weekly.
Perhaps every Sunday who ever is first in the a.m. can begin the weekly 36-hour fast challenge (since we each have different days that work best for us). It would run for the week (obviously!) and start a new thread each Sunday.

Does this sound workable? I never did a challenge before this one!

Lori
Old 08-29-2003, 12:57 PM   #478
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: handicapped91
Start Date: 6/9/03
30 Day Detox

Hi Guys,
What is the name of Dr Bragg's book?
Old 08-29-2003, 01:08 PM   #479
Big Yapper!!!!

It's "The Miracle of Fasting". I found it at my local health food store for $8.95.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:30 PM   #480

Gallery:
Quote:
Originally posted by Nady
Libby~ Hi! I was just reading the Dr. Bragg book on fasting~ in it he had a drawing of the tongue and the various organs of the body that correlate to the different areas of the tongue. The amount of coating indicates the amount of detox needed in those organs. I'm sure you can guess where the lungs were~ you're right, on the sides! Looks like you're healing the damage from smoking! ~~~N
Nady, that's amazing! I don't remember that from the book (I was 22, what did I know, LOL?)

I know Dr. Bragg's book is out of print, but I'm going to see if I can finagle a copy on Amazon, too. Where's the thyroid? Why isn't it doing something (whine, whine, whine!)

OK, you'd think my green tea would take soooooo good, right? Nope. I'm so deep in ketosis it doesn't taste like anything! I'm going to simmer a pot of veggie broth when I get home (maybe roast the veggies first?) and ENJOY!