Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2003, 06:31 PM   #421
Seriouslyme

Gallery: Seriouslyme
Home from work, and going to drink tea and my powdered minerals/vitamins...it is gross tasting, but then, it is minerals and vitamins.

It is only 5:30pm but I am going to bed. Can't stay awake. But today, at lunch (no I didn't eat)...I had my legs all curled over on another like I used to sit when I was a teen. IT FELT SOOOOOOOO AMAZING! In fact, I didn't even know I was doing it until someone said HOW do you do that? (No, I wasn't in a skirt). My joints are so loose and feel free. No stiffness or pain.

Oh, and coming home my seat belt was rubbing and hurting me on my chest. I thought gosh what is that? I felt under the seat belt and guess what it was? MY COLLAR BONE

I like being smaller all over, and I want to continue to be a bit smaller than I am. I hope to do it over the next months, and be 10 or 20 lbs lower than goal weight. Unless it doesn't look good on me. We'll see.

Kimmer!!!! I was a CASA, do you know what they are? Worked with foster parents all the time. HOW GREAT that you are doing this! I actually plan to do it too, in about 2 years. What a gift you are giving! Hearts to you.

If I wake up in the dead of night...I come and read this thread, as I always do for inspiration.

Kose...first days are tough. Hang in there. Things do get better.

Allison, ! Hi. And Belle where ever you are. And gosh hi to all.

Nap time.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2003, 06:38 PM   #422
Seriouslyme

Osque...just wanted to let you know that you don't 'ruin' anything by drinking coffee or tea...you are just putting coffee or tea into your system, and your body may deal with it well, or not well, or gosh it is all sooooooo personal. I drink tea during fasts to ease my nausea, but not everyone does that. Not everyone even gets nauseous.

Actually, I am beginning to break my fast today, as I am drinking powdered minerals/vitamins and tea. I will do that for 2 days and then move to broth, and veggi juices. Then when I feel ready, I will go on to a form of stillman's/atkins. I have been keeping carbs at about 20-25 for a long time (8 months).

I think Kimmer is going to start her breaking of the fast in a couple days...so she will probably post how that goes with her.

Best to ya. How ya feelin?

Old 08-27-2003, 07:45 PM   #423
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AllisonB
Stats: Day of surgery:255/Today:142/Goal:140
Start Date: RNY 8/20/2012
I, too, plan to start breaking my fast in the next few days. I was going to try to go at least 21 days, but I am actually starting to feel hungry. I would like to go through Sunday at least. I don't know if I'm disappointed or relieved that I didn't have many detox symptoms, but I am in deep (darkest purple) ketosis according to my ketostix, and I am looking forward to doing the strict form of Stillmans until I am at goal. Cream cheese and all of the goodies can wait until then
Old 08-27-2003, 08:08 PM   #424
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: candoit
WOE: My own carb way
Start Date: June 1, 2008
I'm on day three of water fast I felt real weak in my legs this morning, went away then tummy ache. Guess I'm going through carb. withdrawal on atkins. I've lost 95 lbs. in 18 months. WAnt to rid my body of all those toxins. Had a headache the second day.
Tongue is all white, and I'm light pink ketosis.

Blood suger was 58-------- blood pressue normal- Going to try for 5 days. I've also been cold all day at work, I'm usaually warm natured.

Kimmer-- You are so imformative on this subject, thank you so much for all your input. I have to get one of these fasting books.

Lost- 7.5 lbs.

Day 1- Aug. 25-162
Day 2-Aug.26--158.5
Day 3-Aug.27-157
Day 4- Aug. 28-155.5

July 1,--
Aug.1--

Last edited by candoit; 08-28-2003 at 04:17 AM..
Old 08-27-2003, 09:47 PM   #425
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Island Blue
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/17/03
HELLO FAB FASTERS!

[COLOR=blue]Kimmer, thanx for the "blue" tribute!

Running around at the speed of life here. I fasted until Monday night - forgot DS & GF were having us over for dinner. How could I forget that??? Anyway, it would have been just plain rude not to eat, they made a complete LC dinner just so I could have EVERYTHING (no details in kindness to you all). Then yesterday I had booked a lunch date with a potential client - oops. Note to self - check Palm Pilot before jumping on the fast.

Soooooooo, I'm eating clean. I'm doing one day of Atkins, one day of Stillman's, one day of Stillkins. Or at least that's what I've done this week so far!

For the ones breaking their fast, don't forget Kimmer's egg drop soup. Eggs are easily digested. It saved me on my meds last week.

OH - and for the obnoxious PG group - I'M UP 2 POUNDS. Nya Nya Nya!!!

I'm thinking the occasional 36 hour fast is a terrific idea - especially during Monday Night Football season. I can fast Monday - Tuesday without having to worry about cooking (the guys take turns hosting and they do all the cooking/cleanup for the group).

ROCK ON FASTERS![/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]Please pray for our troops, freedom isn't free[/COLOR]
Old 08-27-2003, 09:49 PM   #426
Seriouslyme

End of Day 10

Can't sleep.

Hi Allison. You have done so well! REMEMBER! You could be detoxing inside yourself, and just not exhibit any symptoms that you see. So I wouldn't be disappointed. What growing creepy stuffy did your body repair BEFORE that thing got big? You'll never know, but you can know that your body was undoubtedly busy in a positive way.

Candoit. Looks like you have already accomplished so much! Your pics are amazing! Good luck on day 4.

Old 08-27-2003, 09:51 PM   #427
Seriouslyme

Island Blue !!!!!! Hi!

So glad you are around! How do you feel?

Old 08-28-2003, 05:26 AM   #428
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Evangelina
Good Morning and I'm In!!!!

I have been meaning to post for several days now. I'm a 3 year Low Carber and have had no cheats during my LC WOL. I did for a period of 6 months jump off and gained almost 1/2 my weight back....lol My period of weakness was over. I realized at that point that I had to stick to this forever.

I have decided to fast with all of you for mostly spiritual reasons and secondly for detox. This is my first fast. I researched a lot the past few days and am amazed at all the information I found.

Amazingly the people around me have been supportive, however I've not really needed their support yet

I do have a couple of questions:

1. Are any of you taking vitamins? Supplements?
2. Just HOW MUCH water are you drinking per day?
3. What are the abbreviations you are using beside your stats SHS....etc.

I started and now am on day 3. I thought I was going to really need to cling to you all during these first three days but I've found it has been incredibly easy. I don't know if I"m abnormal but other than a headache and the buzzard breath...I'm doing great. I had some great stresses at work and thought I might have to not start my fast on Tues as I had planned but I decided to stick to my decision. I'm an executive director of a nonprofit corp and our office is so busy!

Well now for my stats....

DAY 1 215
DAY 2 214
DAY 3 210

I'm sleeping well, and even had to go get lunch things for my two girls yesterday evening at the store. My husband said that was the fastest he'd ever seen me shop. I just didn't want to be tempted by all the goodie smells haha

I admire all of you on this and I am thankful to be here amongst you all.

Blessings!!
Old 08-28-2003, 06:18 AM   #429
Big Yapper!!!!

Evangelina, "SHS" is what we call Seriouslyme's Hunger Scale. It's a measure of our physical hunger on a scale of 1-10. I don't think I drink any more water than I did pre-fast (a gallon a day or so), but everyone is different. Some are drinking tea, some are taking supplements/vitamins. Most say in their posts what they are doing.

Day 11: Wow, Day 11 already and I'm still alive. I can't believe it's been this long. No complaints whatsoever today. My eyes are strained from too much of staring at my computer screen (and I have a full, long weekend of website work ahead of me), so I am actually looking forward to filing in the back room all day today! Now that's sad. 1 more pound down and not ashamed to be happy about it. BG is holding in the low 70's (excellent).

Day 1 of water fast: 8/18/03: 225 lbs., SHS: 0
Day 2 of water fast: 8/19/03: 220 lbs., SHS: 0
Day 3 of water fast: 8/20/03: 219 lbs., SHS: -1
Day 4 of water fast: 8/21/03: 216 lbs., SHS: 0
Day 5 of water fast: 8/22/03: 212 lbs., SHS: 0
Day 6 of water fast: 8/23/03: 211 lbs., SHS: 0
Day 7 of water fast: 8/24/03: 210 lbs., SHS: 0
Day 8 of water fast: 8/25/03: 209 lbs., SHS: 0
Day 9 of water fast: 8/26/03: 207 lbs., SHS: 0
Day 10 of water fast: 8/27/03: 207 lbs., SHS: 0
Day 11 of water fast: 8/28/03: 206 lbs., SHS: 1 (19 lbs.!)
Old 08-28-2003, 07:01 AM   #430
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gettinitoff
Stats: 170/165/150
Start Date: Which time:)
Hello..Just wanted to tell everyone how proud I am of you all. I have been lurking and everyone's determination is truly amazing...

I do have a couple of questions (getting curious about fasting )

I am only 15lbs from being at my goal weight. I lift weights and exercise quite often and don't want to sacrifice any more muscle. I have already lost a bit since I've been eating high carb, low protein way too much and gaining 10lbs in the meantime- I was 5lbs from goal...now I'm 15! So anyway, how will fasting affect my muscle

1. Can I still exercise during the fast?
2. Will I lose a muscle mass?
3. Is a 2 or 3 day fast enough to do any good?
Old 08-28-2003, 07:26 AM   #431
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: karat
Stats: 176/176/130
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: Jan 7, 2008
checking back in

Just wanted to check in and congratulate everyone on their incredible attitudes. This has got to be one of the most inclusive, friendly, and helpful threads I've ever joined.

I learned so much from my 3.5 day fast; I am actually excited about doing this again!! The inner fight we all have with food was non-existent. What a revelation!!

I'll keep stopping by to check on all of you.

Until the next fast. . .

karat
Old 08-28-2003, 07:46 AM   #432

Gallery:
Day 11

Day 1 136.0
Day 2 133.5
Day 3 130.5
Day 4 128.0
Day 5 126.5
Day 6 125.5
Day 7 125.0
Day 8 124.5
Day 9 123.5
Day 10 123.5
Day 11 122.0

Good morning group! Last night I had a headache (the whole head kind), so I went to bed early. This morning I had loose bowels and lost a lot of, uh, weight. Now I'm feeling detoxed, LOL!

Headache is gone, tongue is almost white, my heel spurs don't hurt!

Old 08-28-2003, 08:23 AM   #433
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: handicapped91
Start Date: 6/9/03
30 Day Detox

Hi Guys,
I broke my fast yesterday with diluted vege juice and chicken broth. This morning I had gained a lb. I had a cheese omlette this morning and will probably have salad for lunch and dinner. You are all doing great. Keep up the good work.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:47 AM   #434
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Hi All!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I decided to start breaking my fast last night and had beef broth and then later yogurt. By 9:00 I was about to fall over asleep. Went to bed at 9:30, forgot to set the alarm, woke up at 6:45, but we all made it to work on time.

I felt awful this morning. Sure hope dairy isn't my trigger food for feeling lousy. The beef broth surely could not have had enough beef in it to do much. No breakfast this morning. Could not face food. Had my warm water, salt and 1/2 lemon.

Am drinking water. Brought chicken broth if I need it. Decided to break my fast because I feel sooooo weak. Had to lay down while fixing dinner for family. Bright side. Joints don't hurt.

Nady - I don't drink an excessive amount of water. around 100 oz a day on the fast and I have been taking potassium supplement most days. I will make sure I take them everyday. Thanks.

Hope everyone has a GREAT DAY.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
158/152/139 JUDDD 10/28/2014
Old 08-28-2003, 09:26 AM   #435
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ohsque
Stats: 262 | 260 | 180
WOE: simply low carb...
Start Date: 08/26/2013
Day 3 for me :)

It's day 3 for me...
and I feel great today! No hunger, no headaches!!!

I am also down 5.5 more pounds... gosh I had alot of water going on! LOL

My mom & I are doing this- and have set our self to do a 3 day- but since we are both feeling much better today- we might just extend it day by day.

We are stocked up on veggie/chicken broth... and ready to slowly break if we need to.

Thanks for all the info that everyone is providing. I've often wanted to fast- but didn't because I was afraid of what would happen-didn't really know the *behind* the scenes to it- but thanks to y'all, posting your daily
feelings/accomplishments/dilemmas- it's helped me over the hump- knowing that the next day would be better!

Big thanks & hugs!
~susie

My Fasting Stats:
8/26 Day 1 227.5 hunger pains- unbelievable
8/27 Day 2 223 (-4.5) hunger pains & HORRIBLE Headache!!!
8/28 Day 3 217.5(-5.5)
Old 08-28-2003, 09:59 AM   #436
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lori42
Stats: 144/128/125
WOE: Moderate carb, whole foods
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by gettinitoff

I did a 3 day fast (with 2 days of broth and fresh vegetable juices to break it) and feel it definitely does good! I can't wait to do another (longer one). I'm planning on doing it near the end of September/beginning of October.

As for exercise that's an individual thing. I didn't. I chose to rest as much as possible (have 2 kids, dog, husband to care for besides myself!).

I don't know about losing any muscle mass (Kimmer?) but I resumed my workouts this week and feel incredibly strong! I've been doing better than I have in months (I do power yoga and pilates with some weight work thrown in as well as cardio).

Again we're all different so ymmv (your mileage may vary).

Good luck!

Lori

Last edited by Lori42; 08-28-2003 at 10:01 AM..
Old 08-28-2003, 10:02 AM   #437
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lori42
Stats: 144/128/125
WOE: Moderate carb, whole foods
Start Date: May 2003
Island blue~

Glad to see you posting! Was wondering how you were doing.

Lori
Old 08-28-2003, 10:09 AM   #438

Gallery: Shae
Curious as to how bad our breath is!

I know the subjuct of keto breath has come up before but I want to address it again. I have to go to work this weekend (I work pt evenings in a sports bar and grill) and I'm afraid that others will smell me and this isn't really acceptable. Could you all do me a favor...........brush your teeth well, wait at least an hour or so then ask someone to stand close to you while you speak. You don't have to breath right in their face--I want to see what normal close contact will be like. If I need to I'll chew sf gum and/or use breathstrips.
I will say that once my 3 yo dd (who by the way never had a cold or ear infection the first 3 years of hew life!) came down sick. She had the normal "cold" symptoms at first but then kept getting worse. She wouldn't eat or drink and had a hard time peeing. She also had VERY,VERY stong breath--kinda bad but not in the normal bad breath way--it was almost "metalic" for lack of a better word. Turns out she had 3 different infections going, was becoming dehydrated, and had ketones present in her urine. I opted for the strong antibiotic shot for her (since she was never sick she WOULD NOT take oral medicine) and she recovered in a day and a half. OK, anyway, I'm wondering if my breath will be as bad as hers. I was holding her close much of the time so maybe that's why I smelled it so strongly.
I would love to hear so responses/experiences.

Last edited by Shae; 08-28-2003 at 10:10 AM..
Old 08-28-2003, 10:13 AM   #439
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Juleemaree
Stats: 217/?/148
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Feb 4, 2003
Hi Everyone!!!

Well I too decided to slowly break my fast today would have been day 5 but I'm fine with how long I lasted, I proved to myself what I can do If I am determined. Anyway, braking slowly with chicken broth and egg drop soup and scrambled eggs. I'll still be reading and rooting all of you on
Old 08-28-2003, 10:25 AM   #440

Gallery:
Hi Shae! Actually, I wouldn't chance the bad breath thing -- and this is contrary to the detox principle. I work in an office so I can keep a fair distance from people (I know my breath is bad!) But you're working so closely to people maybe try brushing all over inside your mouth (including your tongue & roof of the mouth), gargle with mouthwash and spit (like you were going to swallow it - duh!) ... if all else, keep a packet of breathstrips!

Ohsque, 10 pounds in 3 days? Why you're a camel like me! How does your mom like fasting? Rumor has it the 'harder' the first few days are, the more your body needed it! It is good to know all the 'behind the scenes' stuff about fasting, isn't it?

Adillenal, was it flavored yogurt? Maybe the lactose in the yogurt was too much for your now 'delicate' system? That's one of the meals I'm looking forward when I break my fast -- French onion soup w/o cheese or bread (OK, so it's just beef broth and onions!)

Hi Handicapped & Karat! Handicapped, I don't remember how much you lost, but as long as you keep carbs very low, your water weight will return slowly. Enjoy!

Old 08-28-2003, 10:27 AM   #441
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Nady
Good Morning Everyone~

Evangelina ~ Hi! Yes, I'm still taking my vitamins. Also, ACV and sea salt. I've read different opinions about taking supplements~ but since I'm not in a position to sit around all day resting, I feel better taking them. I'm drinking about 3 quarts of plain water a day, plus I usually have a cup or two of green tea.

Candoit~ You're doing great! But if you continue to feel cold, please check your electrolytes~ maybe add some sea salt and ACV

Island Blue~ I love your blue! I'm planning on 36 hr. fasts too~ but I think I'll do them every other day until my extra fat is gone~ did that was after my second child and it worked very well~ whatever I wanted to eat, I could always have 'tomorrow'. Most times I forgot all about it by then!

AllisonB~ Wow! 11 days~ Fantastic!

Ohsque ~ sounds like you doing fine! I've got broth stashed in my pantry too! Going to make egg drop

Adillenal~ Hi~ Sorry to hear you feeling bad~ Dairy could be a problem for you~ I know it sure is for me. One thing I noticed about fasting in the past~ after a few days of not eating, the body lets you know loud and clear what foods it does not want! Keep it up with the potassium and salt!

Kimmer~ Wouldn't it be fantastic if those heel spurs just went away?? I still can't believe how great my knees feel~ I keep forgetting and every time I walk the stairs, brace myself for the pain. When it's not there, I get this big grin on my face and run the stairs like I used to!

Seriouslyme ~I just wanted to say how much I enjoy reading your posts~ And thanks for the hunger scale!

Lori~ Hi!

Shae~ I'm in heavy ketosis~ I keep telling my DH 'sorry about the breath' but he says it's not bad~he's still kissing me~ but maybe he's just being nice! I'd use the strips!

Handicapped91~ Hi~ Wow~ a pound on broth? Guess I'll have to watch it when I go back to regular meals!

Karat~ Hi! We'll probably still be here, when you're ready to fast again! I know I intend to make fasting a regular part of my WOL!

Juleemaree~ Hi! Doesn't it feel good to know you have total control over your eating? I love it!

If I missed anybody~ Hi! love having this support~ it really has helped me! So far, I've lost 9 pounds~ my DH says I look thinner!
~~~N
Old 08-28-2003, 10:33 AM   #442
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Nady
Gettinitoff ~ Here~ I think this might help with your questions about lean tissue loss~

Quote:
from Fasting And Eating For Health By Joel Fuhrman, M.D.

The innate intelligence of the body is remarkable, as represented by the biochemical changes that occur in the fasting state. Glucose is a simple sugar that supplies the necessary fuel our body needs. Normally, if we don't eat for a day or two, we start to utilize muscle tissue to make the glucose needed by the body, since glucose can be manufactured from the amino acids stored in our muscles. If we continue to fast, however, the body senses what is occurring and attempts to conserve it's lean muscle mass by a few different mechanisms.

Fats are broken down to fatty acids that can then be utilized by the muscles, heart, and liver for energy. The brain, however, is the major utilizer of energy when the body is at rest. The brain cannot be fueled from fatty acids; it requires glucose to fuel it's operations.

A special adaptation occurs in the fasting state whereby the brain can fuel itself with ketones instead of glucose. By the third day of a total fast, the liver starts generating a large quantity of ketones from the body's fat stores. As the level of ketones rises in the bloodstream, the brain and other organs begin to use these ketones as their major fuel, thus greatly diminishing the utilization of glucose by the body. This significantly limits muscle wasting. Those keto acids are utilized for fuel primarily by the brain, muscle tissue, and the heart.

This production of ketones, called ketosis, develops within 48 hours in females and 72 hours in males, and muscle wasting at this time decreases to very low levels. This is known as protein sparing.

Thus, the human organism responds to the fasting state by attempting to maximally conserve it's muscle and lean body tissue. With severely restrictive diets, like juice fasts, the body does lose weight, but the brain and other organs do not subsist mainly on ketones. Therefore, proportionally to weight loss, juice fasts and severely restrictive diets cause us to lose more lean body tissue and less fatty tissue than do total fasts.
Hope that helps~
~~~N
Old 08-28-2003, 10:37 AM   #443

Gallery:
Quote:
Originally posted by gettinitoff
Hello..Just wanted to tell everyone how proud I am of you all. I have been lurking and everyone's determination is truly amazing.

I do have a couple of questions (getting curious about fasting )

I am only 15 lbs from being at my goal weight. I lift weights and exercise quite often and don't want to sacrifice any more muscle. I have already lost a bit since I've been eating high carb, low protein way too much and gaining 10 lbs in the meantime. I was 5 lbs from goal ... now I'm 15!

So anyway, how will fasting affect my muscle?

1. I don't recommend exercising during a fast, your body is coping with a very intense 'situation' with toxins being released and repair activity. Notice the white/yellow tongue on Day 2!

2. Yes, you will initially lose muscle. Check the fasting links on page 1, read the first (rejuvenation) and it discusses in detail about muscle loss initially, then stabilizing (they are talking about long term fasting). Note the autopsies of people who have starved to death (poor people who didn't have food), they are very thin, yet their internal organs are nearly normal size, including their heart.

3. 2-3 day fast any good for what? If you're doing it for weight loss, you'll lose weight (mostly water), but probably also 2 lbs of fat. If you're doing it for detox, yes, it will help, but you'll probably be in the "ickies" that time -- detoxing, but not getting to the point of feeling better, LOL!

If you want to lose the last 15 pounds, what about Stillman's or Stillkins (my term)?

Old 08-28-2003, 10:51 AM   #444

Gallery:
Re: Good Morning and I'm In!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Evangelina
I have been meaning to post for several days now. I'm a 3 year Low Carber and have had no cheats during my LC WOL. I did for a period of 6 months jump off and gained almost 1/2 my weight back ... lol. My period of weakness was over. I realized at that point that I had to stick to this forever.

I have decided to fast with all of you for mostly spiritual reasons and secondly for detox. This is my first fast. I researched a lot the past few days and am amazed at all the information I found.

I do have a couple of questions:

1. Are any of you taking vitamins? Supplements?
2. Just HOW MUCH water are you drinking per day?
3. What are the abbreviations you are using beside your stats SHS ... etc.

I started and now am on day 3. I thought I was going to really need to cling to you all during these first 3 days but I've found it has been incredibly easy. I don't know if I"m abnormal but other than a headache and the buzzard breath. I'm doing great. I had some great stresses at work and thought I might have to not start my fast on Tues as I had planned but I decided to stick to my decision. I'm an executive director of a nonprofit corp and our office is so busy!

Well now for my stats ...

DAY 1 215
DAY 2 214
DAY 3 210

Blessings!!
Evangelina, hi! What a coincidence, I work for the Executive Director of a not-for-profit organization (not 'non' -- which must explain the $$ spent on all those 'retreats', LOL?)

Fasting is remarkably easy! Once you get past the "ickies" and if you have dedication/belief in what you're doing, it's the easiest.

Some of us are taking vitamins/supplements, some aren't. It's up to you. My research indicated that a 'complete' rest was best with a water fast -- a Centrum isn't very big, but all of the vitamins/minerals have to be processed and that distracts from the detox mode. I'll be starting my Centrum in a few days.

I'm only drinking my normal amount of 'fluid'. I have a 16 oz glass which I sip through the day and refill about 3 times, plus 1 glass at home, so that's only 64 oz. On Day 1 I drank quite a bit to help with the hunger pangs. (Still have nightmares about Day 1, LOL!)

Yes, there is an abundance of information on fasting for those who are to look (sorry, that's a dig at the PG people ).

Old 08-28-2003, 11:11 AM   #445
Big Yapper!!!!

Kimmer, what is the typical dosage of milk thistle that you take, and how often?
Old 08-28-2003, 11:42 AM   #446

Gallery:
Allison, I take 3 capsules morning and evening. I believe the standard dosage is 175 mg/capsule. If you buy some look for dark brown/green bottles, they have the gelatin type capsules. The white plastic bottles have 'hard' capsules that DO NOT dissolve! You might try taking less and see how you feel. Remember milk thistle detoxes your liver, which affects your bowels due to increased bile ... result, definite laxative effect!

If you have a chance, do a web search about milk thistle. It's pretty amazing stuff! European hospitals inject patients with high doses of milk thistle to treat those who have mistakenly eaten poisonous mushrooms -- and the patients don't die! The milk thistle is thought to 'coat' the liver somehow? I couldn't find anything about overdosing.

I feel so good this morning after my headache/bowel situation. I'm totally into the detox thing now!

Old 08-28-2003, 11:59 AM   #447

Gallery:
Here's an excerpt from the (rejuvenation) link on page 1 where Dr. Shelton discusses the muscle and heart changes in patients who died from starvation (died from starving because they didn't have enough body fat to sustain them, essentially they were skeleton and viscae):

http://www.soilandhealth.org/02/0201...020127.ch7.htm

By HERBERT M. SHELTON
D.P., N.D., D.C., D.N.T., D.N. Sc., D.N. Ph., D.N. Litt., Ph. D., D. Orthp.

THE MUSCLES

It has been shown by investigators that the skeletal muscles may lose 40% of their weight, whereas, the heart muscle loses only 3% by the time death from starvation is reached. The decrease in the size of the muscles extends also to their cells, which similarly decrease in size. Probably there is not an actual lessening of the number of muscle cells in a fast of ordinary duration, but only a consumption of fat, glycogen, and lastly some of the muscle protein and a lessening of the size of the cells. This loss of fat and muscle might occur at any time without damage to health.

In general the skeletal muscles are affected earlier and more intensely than the smooth muscles. There seems to be no actual decrease in the number of muscle fibers, but only a diminution in the size of their cells. The cells are merely reduced in size but remain perfectly sound.

In frogs and salmon, fat is stored in the muscles during the eating period, and consumed during the fasting and hibernating period. The decrease in size is due to a loss of fat, not of muscle. Much the same phenomena are often observed in fasting patients

THE HEART

The heart muscle does not diminish appreciably, deriving its sustenance from the less essential tissues. Its rate of pulsion varies greatly, rising and falling as the needs of the system demand. Studying the respiration rate, Benedict noted various minor fluctuations and arrived at the conclusion that "at least during the first two days of the fast, the pulse rate is much more liable to fluctuations than the respiration rate."

That fasting benefits the heart is certain from the results obtained in functional and even in organic heart "disease" during a fast. This arises from three chief causes--namely, (1) it removes the constant stimulation of the heart; (2) it takes a heavy load off the heart and permits it to rest; (3) it purifies the blood thus nourishing the heart with better food.

The heart that is pulsating at the rate of 80 times a minute pulsates 115,200 times in twenty-four hours. Shortly after the fast is instituted, the heart rate decreases and, while it may temporarily go much below 60 pulsations a minute, it ultimately settles at 60 beats a minute and remains there for the duration of the fast. This is 86,400 pulsations in twenty-four hours, or 28,800 fewer pulsations each day than it was doing before the fast.

This represents a decrease of twenty-five per cent of the work of the heart. The saving in work is seen not merely in the reduction of the number of pulsations, but also in the vigor or force of the pulsations. It all sums up to a real vacation -- a rest for the heart. During this rest the heart repairs its damaged structures and replenishes its tissues.

As shown elsewhere, the heart muscle loses only 3% by the time death occurs from starvation. As in other essential tissues, the loss of this small percent occurs after the exhaustion of the body's nutritive reserves -- that is, during the starvation period. This ability of the body to nourish the heart during a prolonged fast is a sure guarantee against damage to the heart resulting from the fast.

Reviewing the chief historical cases of fasting with reference to the pulse beat, Benedict shows that in some cases the pulse remained "normal," and in others it rose or fell. As a result of his review of these cases and of his own series of short experimental fasts, he arrived at no definite conclusions. Carrington says: "That the heart is invariably strengthened and invigorated by fasting is true beyond a doubt. * * * I take the stand that fasting is the greatest of all strengtheners of weak hearts -- being, in fact, its only rational, physiological cure." He attributes the benefits that accrue to the heart while fasting to increased rest, a purer blood stream and absence of stimulation.

The recovery of the heart from serious impairment during a fast (I have had complete and permanent recoveries in what were thought to be incurable organic heart affections), proves that the added rest the fast affords the heart and the general renovation of the body, enable it to repair itself.

Dr. Eales says: "Instead of the heart growing weak during a fast it grows stronger every hour as the load it has been carrying is lessened." High blood pressure is invariably lowered and this removes a heavy load from the heart.

On the 15th day of his fast, friends of Dr. Eales brought him the news account of the sudden death of a man in Washington, D. C., while on a fast. The papers attributed the death to the fast, and friends of Dr. Bales warned him of heart failure. Dr. Bales replied to their warnings: "This man's death was not caused by the fast, in fact, the fast lengthened his life, for if he had not been fasting he would undoubtedly have died a week or more earlier. He probably resorted to the fast to save his life, but it was too late; his light was too nearly burned out when he started. How many times do we hear of dying after a full meal, when making an after-dinner speech or sitting in their chairs and expiring! That, of course, is regular, but to die when the heart is resting and doing less work than when one is eating, when it is simply worn and run down from overwork, is always attributed to fasting, if the person is fasting at the time of death."

Of the many thousands who die yearly of heart trouble, probably not more than 3 or 4 are fasting at the time of their death. In my own practice, one death from "heart failure" has occurred during a fast. The patient had been greatly overweight for years, with high blood pressure, nervous troubles, glaucoma, and gave a history of diabetes. Quite naturally the failure of her heart was attributed to the fast and the fact that people in her condition die every day from "heart failure" who have not been fasting, but feeding, escapes notice. Wm. J. Bryan, who never fasted, ate a hearty meal, went to bed for an afternoon nap and never woke up. These things occur daily.

The woman was many pounds overweight at death and there could be no suggestion of starvation in this case. There were ample food reserves left in her body for another 40 to 50 days of fasting.

I attribute the collapse of the heart in the above case to fear. That fear was present was manifest. That the woman had the suggestion of starvation and death dinned into her ears every day of her fast and had the suggestion intensified after the heart became affected is certain. Sudden deaths from fear, shock, etc., are not unknown nor even uncommon.

"How many times," asks Dr. Eales, in discussing the effects of fear in the fast, "have we heard of sad news producing prostration or a fit of sickness; a mother's milk becoming poison during a fit of anger causing sickness to her nursing babe, and in some instances even death?"

Again he says: "I find that so long as the mind is free from worry and fear there is not a particle of danger. It is only when the subconscious mind has suggestions of weakness and fear that the body or any of its organs become weak."

###

Old 08-28-2003, 12:23 PM   #448
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Yes Kimmer. I ate flavored yogurt but I have plain. Silly me.
Had a cup of broth for lunch. Really not hungry right now but may need something "stronger" this evening.

I only lost 2 pounds in 5 days so fasting is not a weight loss technique for me but is great for detox.

Now my eyesight is better. I have to take my glasses off so I can see. Still have to have them to see far off and drive. Had to go back in yesterday to get them since I had forgotten I wasn't wearing them.

Hope that lasts.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:49 PM   #449

Gallery:
Quote:
Originally posted by adillenal
Yes Kimmer. I ate flavored yogurt but I have plain. Silly me.

Now my eyesight is better. I have to take my glasses off so I can see. Still have to have them to see far off and drive. Had to go back in yesterday to get them since I had forgotten I wasn't wearing them.

Hope that lasts.
Adi, isn't that amazing about the eyes? My eyes are still not 'sticky' in the morning and I don't have to wait for my vision to readjust from far away to near (I was getting ready to make an appointment at the optometrist -- which I'll probably still do, I'm 45, I can't expect perfect vision forever, LOL!) I don't blame you for eating fruit yogurt -- IMO plain yogurt goes on "the list" with plain water!

Nady, thanks for the Milk Thistle link! I think it's awesome! Apparently other people do also, it's starting to disappear on the WalMart shelves (I buy the econo bottle for $12)

OK, my doctor's office called with my blood results. He is still concerned about my low iron and is waiting for authorization to order a different panel of tests (Kasta Diva posted about some on the main BB).

Here's what the nurse said (sorry I don't have 'normal' values to compare with):

Glucose - 83
BUN - 12
Creatinine - .8
Potassium - 4.9
Bilirubin - .7
Albumin - 5.2
TSH - 7 (too high)
Cholesterol - 173
Triglycerides - 71
Blood Oxygenation - 98%

She said my liver, kidney and heart are fine, in fact, my blood oxygenation had improved from 96% six months ago!

My TSH is still too high (should be < 3 according to Nonstickpam), but it was 11, six months ago (2 years ago it was 128 )

Old 08-28-2003, 05:10 PM   #450
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Island Blue
Start Date: 4/17/03
Hello Fasters!

[COLOR=blue]

I'm thinking of doing a 36 hour fast next Tuesday (midnight Tues - noon Wed) - anybody wanna join me?

Oh Kimmer - you're really gonna piss off the PG now! Tests during your fast and you're NORMAL! Seeing your doctor during a fast?? Well, I'm just sure they said no one fasting was doing THAT!!! *snicker*

I'm holding at a 10# weight loss for my 5 day fast. (thought I might as well piss them off too!)

Wishing you all the best! (saluting you with my 32-ounce purple cup o' water!)[/COLOR]