Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2003, 07:49 AM   #391
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Morning Ladies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Day 5 for me. Yesterday I was soooooo tired in the late evening. I broke down and drank a cup of diluted chicken broth. Felt better in about 30 minutes and didn't need a nap.

Still only 1 pound lost. I must not have been holding as much water as I thought. Does that mean I was dehydrated? Gee I drink a lot of water already. Feet and legs are not swollen which they usually are in the evenings when I drink a lot. Dr. never could find out why so I stopped worrying about it.
My blood pressure was 110/61 yesterday which is pretty much normal for me but my pulse rate was 71 which is lower than normal for me. That is a good thing. The only time I ever had high blood pressure was when I was pregnant with DS and it got so high I had to spend the last 6 weeks in bed. No fun there.

Lynn - thanks for the kind words and well thought out post. I appreciate that other people can be neutral in thinking about different things.

We can start calling ourselves members of the "Kimmer Kult".

Cooked breakfast for DS and DH and never once thought about eating any of it. Baked DH a sugarfree cheesecake and didn't eat any so I must be past the food is controlling me portion of fasting.

Check ya later!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
158/152/139 JUDDD 10/28/2014

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2003, 07:53 AM   #392

Gallery:
[color=blue]Oops! I forgot the important part from my doctor! I told him many of us were fasting together and that some people had health problems and/or taking meds. What did he think?

He said (keeping in mind he doesn't know any of you!):

Diabetes Type I - NO FASTING, unless your doctor is checking you every day (he said no doctor will give an OK to a Type 1 patient).

Diabetes Type II - Fasting OK if they're checking their BG. I asked why one girl (Allison ) had varying BG when she wasn't eating anything. He said something about from weight loss/body chemistry (Allison I didn't get it, maybe you do).

Heart Patients - NO FASTING, unless your doctor is checking you every day because there are many reasons for the heart condition to begin with, and a preexisting weakened condition.

Liver or Kidney Disease - NO FASTING, unless your doctor gives OK and he said no doctor will, especially with a kidney condition.

Medications - He didn't think any meds should be stopped, and some meds would be very dangerous to stop (he mentioned heart meds, antidepressants, hepatitis or kidney meds).
[/color]

Old 08-27-2003, 07:59 AM   #393

Gallery:
Quote:
Originally posted by adillenal
We can start calling ourselves members of the "Kimmer Kult".
Hey, don't make me hurt ya!

Glad your vitals are good. Does the doctor have any clue about the swelling? Chicken broth is sounding pretty good right now, LOL!

Old 08-27-2003, 08:30 AM   #394
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AllisonB
Stats: Day of surgery:255/Today:142/Goal:140
Start Date: RNY 8/20/2012
Thanks for all the info, Kimmer. My BG is at 79 right now, so no, I don't understand any of it!

I feel better today than I have any other day. Not tired at all. But my stomach is rumbling (although I am not hungry). It's the kind of rumbling that other people can hear, though
Old 08-27-2003, 08:39 AM   #395
Big Yapper!!!!

Kimmer - I have had the leg/ankle swelling off and on for years and have been checked for EVERYTHING under the sun. No conclusions. Doc (woman) finally said sometimes it just happens and the cause is never found. I am supposed to put my feet up several times a day which means I have a legitimate reasons for propping my feet on my desk

Hmmmm. Now that I really think about it. This swelling thing never happened before DS was born. Gee. One more thing to blame on #1 and only son.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:07 AM   #396
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Juleemaree
Stats: 217/?/148
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Feb 4, 2003
Day 4 for me!!!

Morning everyone!!!

Doing well here, still feel fine, still normal, am I detoxing or what??? Skin is the same, urine alittle darkish, still staying up till like 11:30, waking at 6:30. I know someone said something about possibly not getting the full detox if you are not close to your goal weight, and I'm not yet. When I started the fast I was 170, now down to 165 so my goal weight is like 135 or so I still have another 30 or so lbs to go, maybe thats why I'm not feeling yucky??? I do feel as though when I break my fast slowly I will be more in control of what I eat and thats good. I have been taking time each day/evening to sit and pray about various things in my life and about giving me the strength to succeed in life with things that are the most improtant to me, and I do feel good about that. I was alittle tired yesterday on the way home from work about 5:00, but it did pass soon after. Oops!! I did break down yesterday early eveing and have 1/2 cup of weak tea but thats it. I am still proud of myself and think I'm doing fine and if need be I might stop earlier than I originally thought (1 week) I might end up having more tea and some broth on thurs or friday and slowly start adding other things later friday/saturday.

Everyone sounds like they are going great, keep it up and drink, drink, drink your water(I'm having alittle trouble drinking cause it tastes yucky to me, but anyway, Cheers!!!(holding up water glass)
5' 0" 32 yrs old

I must keep saying to myself "I feel so much better when I am eating right, I look so much better, I am so much more confident and my blood pressure is normal. Please, please give me the strength to stick with this."
Old 08-27-2003, 09:13 AM   #397

Gallery: Shae
I'm back after a long hiatis.....

I have been gone after a few months off (actually not totally off) because I thought that my hair loss (I've had for 2 years) might be from locarbing but I'm still losing as much hair so I'm back here!

I have been reading with great interest--this seems like something I should do. Here are my reasons...........
*I am a PSHYCO emotional eater who is obsessed with food
*I am totally addicted to Diet Coke--I mean like 100+ oz per day
*I want to finally feel in control (I'm not now--I have no confidence in myself)
*I'm back up to 138 lbs. and would love to get back down to 120-125

I won't lie--the weight loss will be great but what I want most is self control and self confidence.

A few ?s.........

*If I plan to water fast should I get into ketosis first or should I just "start" now?
*I'm sure I'll have massive headaches from Diet Coke withdrawl--should I "tough it out"(not sure if I could with kids) or take headache medicine?
*Is it advisable to work out?

I just wanted to add what a great group this is. Especially you Kimmer.

Thanks ladies!
*edited to ask one more ?......Would I "mess up" by continuing to take my vit. and oral supps? I take several for hair loss and I just started taking a product called NuHair (keeping fingers crossed!).I wonder if taking these will keep my digestive system working too much? thanks!

Last edited by Shae; 08-27-2003 at 11:36 AM..
Old 08-27-2003, 10:03 AM   #398
Big Yapper!!!!

Juleemaree, for the first time I am having to force water down, too. It tastes terrible because of the taste in my mouth.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:33 AM   #399
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Juleemaree
Stats: 217/?/148
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Feb 4, 2003
AllisonB,

I'm glad I'm not the only one
Old 08-27-2003, 10:38 AM   #400
JanD

Gallery: JanD
URGHHHHH!!!!!
I can't stand it. I started Monday night and lasted until dinner time Tuesday. I seem to be able to do really good all through the day at work but when I walk into the kitchen after work to fix dinner for DH i cave. I just can't seem to not put anything in my mouth. What is wrong with me. Sheesh I am weak.

All I had yesterday was a 3 oz piece of meat and a bite of a tomato. Just enough to ruin what I accomplished in the 18 hrs before that.

I'm so fed up with myself I can't stand it. I really admire you all for sticking to this.

I'm going to give it one last try. Please pray that I make it through 24 hours without caving in at dinner time.

Good luck to all of you, you are my inspiration. I will do this. I know I can, I know I can I know I can.

Old 08-27-2003, 10:51 AM   #401
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Nady
Morning everyone~ Well, another day! I'm planning on eating a light protein supper on Friday, then fasting on Saturday, and then another protein supper on Sunday. Monday, we're leaving for a short vacation~ And I want to be able to relax and eat. I'm planning on keeping it at induction levels so I can resume the fast when I get back. Should be interesting!

We're doing DH's vacation choice, since his birthday is next week~ he gets to choose. When it's my birthday in November, we're going to Vegas! I'm going to be in tip top shape by then!

I've been taking my vitamins right along during this fast~ I've always taken them with a fast~ especially the mineral supps. Also, I'm using the ACV and sea salt supplements. In this heat we have here, I can't afford to get dehydrated or low in potassium.

BTW~ when you drink large amounts of water, you can wash out your electrolytes and become dehydrated. I know that sounds like an oxymoron, but what happens is, without enough salt, the water just runs right through. It doesn't even hang around long enough to flush the toxins out! A key symptom of this is being unnatural cold~ like in you feel chilled even when it's 80 deg. outside. Another is testing very light with the ketosticks or very pale urine. If this happens, get some unprocessed sea salt~ not table salt~ and use 1/4 tsp with every quart (liter) of water you drink. I posted the salt links a couple of pages back, but if anyone needs them again, just let me know.

Well, I'd better get back to my housecleaning~ I hate cleaning day!
Have a great day everyone!
~~~N
Old 08-27-2003, 10:56 AM   #402
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leftout
Stats: 289/?/150
WOE: hcg drops
Start Date: 11/22/10
IT GOT ME

:::sigh:::hangs head in shame

The green-eyed monster jumped on my shoulder last night and wouldn't let go......

I need to work on my mental attitude...............

I was proud to be in your company (everyone of you) if only
for a little while. I am in total awe.........
Old 08-27-2003, 11:04 AM   #403

Quote:
Originally posted by JanD
URGHHHHH!!!!!
I can't stand it. I started Monday night and lasted until dinner time Tuesday. I seem to be able to do really good all through the day at work but when I walk into the kitchen after work to fix dinner for DH i cave. I just can't seem to not put anything in my mouth. What is wrong with me. Sheesh I am weak.

All I had yesterday was a 3 oz piece of meat and a bite of a tomato. Just enough to ruin what I accomplished in the 18 hrs before that.

I'm so fed up with myself I can't stand it. I really admire you all for sticking to this.

I'm going to give it one last try. Please pray that I make it through 24 hours without caving in at dinner time.

Good luck to all of you, you are my inspiration. I will do this. I know I can, I know I can I know I can.
You didn't ruin anything! You did a 24 hour fast~ quite appropriate for a first time. Next time, you'll do better! Just remember, if you're going to nibble, try to make it just protein~ then you don't do out of ketosis and it's easier to resume the fast. My first fast was 36 hours every other day~ worked great and I got rid of 'baby fat' in record time. Second, third and forth fasts were only 3 days~ I did one fast for 10 days, but I had only initially planned that one as a 3 day fast but continued because I noticed how fast my eczema started healing. Since then, I did a 5 day fast when I quit smoking seven years ago, and one more 10 day fast when I was under some severe emotional stress (didn't plan that one!)

Many of us here have fasted before~ so we sort of know some of the things to expect~ cut yourself some slack~ you're doing great!
~~~N
Old 08-27-2003, 11:07 AM   #404
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LibbyAnn
Hi! Question for Nandy....

First a little background.

I have fasted a few times previously for a few days each time. I decided to try it again after much reading (I have taken out every natural healing, detox, fasting book from our library I think!). I started last Wednesday p.m. until Saturday p.m. I ate Saturday p.m. and Sunday and started fasting again on Monday. I am only having water (and my BC pills).

I think I noticed myself in your post. I am extremely cold. Burr. Other than that no detox signs other that a coated tongue. I live in a small town and have checked our one "health food" store and they do not have Celtic Sea Salt or any other kind of sea salt for that matter. I have also checked the grocery stores and it looks like table salt is about it. Should I add a little "regular" salt to my water in place of sea salt since it is not available?

Any thoughts would be appreciated~

Thanks so much.

LibbyAnn
Old 08-27-2003, 11:19 AM   #405

Hi LibbyAnn~ Until you can get Celtic or something similar, yes, I would use about 1/8 tsp table salt per quart of water. Don't over-do~ the sodium level is much higher. Also, you will need potassium and magnesium supplements. A natural form of potassium can be found in non-distilled Apple Cider Vinegar ~they should have that at the HFS~ use 1-2 tsp. in 8 oz water 3x a day. Otherwise, take tabs ~ same with the magnesium. A good online source of Celtic Sea Salt is King Arthur Flour. Order the coarse moist grey one. If there is a Trader Joe's near you, they also have a great Coarse Sea Salt~ their label. Big jar with a red cap.

Take care~
~~~N

Last edited by Nady; 08-27-2003 at 11:20 AM..
Old 08-27-2003, 11:36 AM   #406
Big Yapper!!!!

Nady - I have been using sea salt and 1/2 lemon in warm water every morning. I have been doing that for a long time and kept on even though I am fasting. Do you think I need MORE salt since I am cold inside and the AC is the same temp it has always been?
Old 08-27-2003, 11:46 AM   #407
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LibbyAnn
Nandy,

I just phoned local grocery and they have iodized sea salt. Do you think that would be better than table salt until I can get my King Arthur Salt? Unfortunately no Trader Joe's in my area.

Here is what I found at King Arthur:

Light Grey Celtic Sea Salt(tm), ocean-harvested at summer's end off the coast of Brittany in the northwest of France, is a large-crystalled, semi-moist, light-gray unrefined salt. Use it judiciously as is, or grind it in a mortar and pestle. In 8-ounce jar, with wooden salt spoon.

Does that sound like a good option. Only an 8 oz. jar though... nothing large available. Sidebar - How long would an 8 oz. jar last? Wondering if I should order more than one....

Called local HFS and they do carry Natural ACV so I will be heading there for a late lunch. Another good thing about fasting.. all this extra time I used to eat with or prepare food I am now working. I am sure that my boss must love it! Hah.

Thanks again to all for the inspiring posts... I do believe from all of my research that the body has amazing self healing (detoxing) powers. I am looking forward to feeling the power of my own body. I know I have already benefitted greatly in the metal aspect.

Best Wishes to All...

LibbyAnn
Old 08-27-2003, 12:05 PM   #408

LibbyAnn~ This is the one you want~ the 24oz. bag. The iodized sea salt at the grocery store is probably Hain~ it's processed and has had all of the minerals removed. It has the same amount of sodium as Morton's. Don't bother with it~ just order the Celtic. Don't forget about the potassium~ a deficiency of that can cause dehydration too~ as well as muscle cramping. Here are some links about salt~

Water Cure
Water Cure 2*
The Salt Of Life
Water/Salt Facts*
Water Cure Recipe*
Frequently Asked Questions*
The Value Of Real Celtic Sea Salt
Salts that Heal and Salts that Kill *

~~~N

Last edited by Nady; 08-27-2003 at 08:41 PM..
Old 08-27-2003, 12:10 PM   #409

Quote:
Originally posted by adillenal
Nady - I have been using sea salt and 1/2 lemon in warm water every morning. I have been doing that for a long time and kept on even though I am fasting. Do you think I need MORE salt since I am cold inside and the AC is the same temp it has always been?
If you're not already using 1/4 tsp. per quart of water, I would up it to that~ If you are, be sure to check you potassium levels too~ I'd take a little more salt and see if it helps~ Also, is it possible you're drinking too much water? If you drinking more than 1/2 oz. per pound of body weight, that could also be a cause. Check out the Water Cure links I posted above~
~~~N
Old 08-27-2003, 12:47 PM   #410

Gallery:
Re: I'm back after a long hiatis.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Shae
A few ?s.........

*If I plan to water fast should I get into ketosis first or should I just "start" now?
*I'm sure I'll have massive headaches from Diet Coke withdrawl--should I "tough it out"(not sure if I could with kids) or take headache medicine?
*Is it advisable to work out?
*Would I "mess up" by continuing to take my vit. and oral supps? I take several for hair loss and I just started taking a product called NuHair (keeping fingers crossed!).I wonder if taking these will keep my digestive system working too much? thanks!
Hi Shae! Long time no see!

1) It might make your "Day 1" easier if you're in ketosis first, but that's 'real' no appetite ketosis, not the stick kind.

2) Frankly, if you get a caffeine withdrawal headache, I'd take headache meds for 1-2 days to cope. If you're going to wait until you're in ketosis, maybe you can cut out the Diet Coke now and take the headache meds before you start the fast?

3) I wouldn't work out. You're putting your body through an ordeal with 'search & destroy' stuff, I wouldn't push it further with exercise. JMO!

4) Fasting is a personal thing, so you can decide if want to continue taking them.

Leftout and JanD, it's OK! You'll try again and do more next time!

Old 08-27-2003, 01:44 PM   #411

Gallery: Shae
Thank you!

I have decided to go ahead and start today. I had pure junk earlier this morning (don't ask!) but decided at noon to go ahead and start. I'm really bad about blowing it, saying "Oh, I'll start tomorrow", then continuing to pig out. I think that if I'm doing this to for the reasons I listed that I should not make anymore excuses.
Wish me luck! I'm SO glad to be doing this with such a great group!
Old 08-27-2003, 02:06 PM   #412

Hi Shae~ I'm not going to just wish you luck~ I'm going to say *YOU HAVE THE POWER*
~~~N
Old 08-27-2003, 02:30 PM   #413
Big Yapper!!!!

The inside of my mouth tastes so bad I can't take another drink of water! I'm thinking of switching to gasoline!

My son once explained to me what a dead body smells like, I think someone died in my mouth
Old 08-27-2003, 02:58 PM   #414

Gallery:
Allison, I'm with you on that one, LOL!

I'm missing carbonation, so I bought a bottle of Perrier -- man, that was terrible! And I thought I hated regular water!!! I don't know if it was the minerals or my "keto breath", but double-ick!

OK, afternoon whining is over!

Shae, you can do it. Just "one day at a time", especially the dreaded Day 1!

Old 08-27-2003, 05:08 PM   #415

Gallery: Kose
EEEEW..... day one will be over in a few hours time but i'm already feeling like i have a headache and my forehead feels so heavy... i don't think its caffeine redrawals cos i dont take coffee or diet coke.

am i the only one who is feeling sleepy? i've read those that are detoxing that they need less sleep and feeling energized. i took an 11 hour 'nap'

how is everyone doing? i definitely hope that after day one, everything gets better. it does, doesnt it?
Old 08-27-2003, 05:27 PM   #416

Gallery:
Kose, the only people who feel "energized" are the ones who survived the first few days. Days 1-3 are crummy! Your head hurts, stomach growls, brain fogs up ... and that's the upside!

It's very normal to feel exhausted at the beginning. If I were going to redo my fast, I would have started on a Thursday so I'd have the weekend to SLEEP! Hang in there!

Old 08-27-2003, 05:47 PM   #417
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ohsque
Stats: 262 | 260 | 180
WOE: simply low carb...
Start Date: 08/26/2013
Just wanted to post my stats... (keep me accountable )

Day 1-Tuesday- started water fast @ 227.5 Very easy to do- even though I work in a restaurant... however, by evening- I was feeling those hunger pains- but tried to guzzle the water each time- which indeed helped TOM has arrived, so I am feeling those added bonus's- but otherwise, happy

Day 2- Wednesday 223 (4.5 loss) woke up with a headache that has lingered the entire day... found myself wanting to sleep often, and lagged at work today! But once I got busy- preoccuppied on other things- I felt fine and did good. As the day progressed, I noticed an overwelhming awareness of how wonderful food smelled- and tonight I am noticing that just a simple broiled chicken breast would completely make me happy...but I am still watering down the desires- the headaches got so bad twice today- that I had to take a tylenol... I also think that the majority of my headache is the caffiene withdrawal- as I work in a coffee shop -I sipped on about a cup of water diluted unsweetned tea to ease the headache, but now, on 100% water and am doing fine- and looking forward to tomorrow.

Well- that's how far I've come... so onward to day 3!

Best water wishes, new friends. I've enjoyed reading/lurking y'alls thread this week!

Last edited by Ohsque; 08-27-2003 at 05:49 PM..
Old 08-27-2003, 06:03 PM   #418
Big Yapper!!!!

ohsque, I applaud you, I don't think I could LC let alone fast in a food environment.

I was a restaurant manager and got all of my food for free. I could even take filet mignon dinners and dessert home to my family and it was free. I took FULL advantage of that benefit, which in no way helped my ever-expanding waistline.

Our starting weights are nearly the same. I lost 5 lbs. the first full day, and it's been a steady 1 lb. each day since, until today when I stayed the same. Drink LOTS of water!

Good luck!
Old 08-27-2003, 06:21 PM   #419
Seriouslyme

Gallery: Seriouslyme
Quote:
Originally posted by AllisonB
The inside of my mouth tastes so bad I can't take another drink of water! I'm thinking of switching to gasoline!

My son once explained to me what a dead body smells like, I think someone died in my mouth
Allison!!!! love your sence of humor. Imagine! I didn't know there was a little smiley graphic that threw-up stuff.

Old 08-27-2003, 06:27 PM   #420
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ohsque
Stats: 262 | 260 | 180
WOE: simply low carb...
Start Date: 08/26/2013
some questions...let's say I do drink a cup of hot tea or iced tea... am I hurting this fast in some way? or am I just slowing the process down? I was thinking of doing some hot green tea/regular decaf tea.... much harm?

Are there benefits to different temperatures of water???ice cold water vs lukewarm (out of faucet) water vs hot water???

I'm craving something hot in my favorite coffee mug... tempted to fill it with warm water..... (I guess this is a comfort food I need to learn to control)

Also, when you plan to break the fast, do any of you have sample menus you could share? are you going all liquid (soups/broths) then add foods slowly??? I want to do this right, stay in ketosis, then ease back into induction....

oh well, just wondering...
Thanks for any input!