Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2003, 09:24 AM   #361

Gallery:
Lovin, I remember that post because I referred to it once. Let me look. Hey, don't ask me ... I don't even know what day I'm on!

Allison, let me recheck my days. I weigh each day and "copy" my weight from a previous day, adding "1". I must have missed a day.

I'll be back in a minute.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2003, 09:31 AM   #362
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baby PHAT
I want to get all the junk that is stored in my intestins and my fat cells. I want to purge my body of the yucky stuff. So I want to fast for that not just to lose weight. And since I have so much weight to lose I figure I have a lot of fat cells on my body and since I've never been a very healthy eater I probably have a ton of yucky stuff stored in my fat cells.

I don't want to become a total psycho type health nut but I do want to rid myself of the damage that all the junk food I ate in my life has done to my body.

I was also thinking that I could use the money I save on buying food to treat myself to the spa or a massage or something special like that.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:39 AM   #363
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lori42
Stats: 144/128/125
WOE: Moderate carb, whole foods
Start Date: May 2003
I read all that stuff over on the Playground and it had me thinking.....There is a valid concern about anorexia.

Now before anyone throws their water at me let me tell you what I thought!

Now my own experiences with food has been one of extremes. For me it was compulsive overeating. I've yo-yo'd with my weight for over 20 years. The last few I just let myself be because I heard doing that is better than going up and down. Anyway when LC came to my attention the thing that really drew me to try it was being free from my addiction to food (especially chocolate).

Anyway it's not been an easy road for me (was suffering brain fog due to candida). I was kind of giving up when I started reading the fasting threads. So with all the reasearch I did I thought it would help me do 2 things: get well and change my relationship to food.

On to my point (I do have one! ): The reason I thought fasting could be a problem for some is because I too believe lying to your closest people may be a warning sign for some. I also remember someone saying how 'special' they felt doing this fast.
That could also be a warning for some.

I think most of us are fine. Maybe this is really only about me and MY own tendencies towards addiction. If I've offended anyone I do apologize.

I've just felt so close to you all doing my 3-day fast that I wish us all the best. My eating problem has followed me for so much of my life I didn't want it to turn into another one!

I just want to be well and free.

Thanks for listening.

Lori

Last edited by Lori42; 08-26-2003 at 09:41 AM..
Old 08-26-2003, 09:47 AM   #364
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Nady
Re: question about the ACV-

Quote:
Originally posted by Dorihearn
Hi- I am wondering how much vinegar do you put into one gallon of water?
Thanks
Dori
No, No! You don't put the ACV in all of your water! Just 1-2 tsp. in an 8 oz. glass of water, 3x a day. Be sure to rinse you mouth out afterward~ to protect the enamel on your teeth!
~~~N
Old 08-26-2003, 09:53 AM   #365
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dorihearn
OH NO!!

I just put 2 tbls in a half gallon of water---
I was wanting to start drinking it now......
so i didn't wait for my answer- serves me right
Do you think it will make a big difference?
just this once-

Dori
Old 08-26-2003, 09:55 AM   #366

Re: Day one (again)

Quote:
Originally posted by Baby PHAT
I want to go longer then 30 days. I have to lose about 170 pounds and I wanted to know what is the longest a person can fast for?

From reading your posts and from what I read on the web the first 3 days are the most difficult. So I have to keep reminding myself I'm doing this for my health. So what is stored in the fat cells exactly?

I guess I will find out soon enough.
Hi~ Every book I've read says that you should break the fast when natural hunger returns. I'm not sure doing a longer fast is wise~ perhaps you could do what I'm going to do~ fast for a week or two, then do strict Stillman's or induction (so you'll stay in ketosis) and then another fast. I'm planning on starting the once a week fast as well as several days a week until I get my weight down. Also, I have some health issues that are improving since I started this fast, so I would like to continue to build on that.

Even Dr. Bragg doesn't advise making it a one shot marathon fast~
~~~N

Last edited by Nady; 08-26-2003 at 09:59 AM..
Old 08-26-2003, 10:09 AM   #367

Hi Everyone~ Hope everyone is feeling good today! I'm comfortable, but a little tired. I suppose that's to be expected.

My knees are so much better it's amazing! And the eczema is almost gone~ all over my body! I wonder if after I get my system cleaned out, I can have a trigger food once in awhile if I follow it with a 1 day fast~ there are some things that I don't want to think I can never eat again~ actually, what got me in this mess was eating them anyway and then complaining about the eczema breakouts and painful knees that resulted!

Anyway~ doing good here, finally getting control!

Have a great day everyone!
~~~N
Old 08-26-2003, 10:29 AM   #368
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MsAckwith
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lori42
[

On to my point (I do have one! ): The reason I thought fasting could be a problem for some is because I too believe lying to your closest people may be a warning sign for some. I also remember someone saying how 'special' they felt doing this fast.
That could also be a warning for some.

Well, I, for one, have not lied to anyone! I am a grown-up and whatever I decide to put into (or NOT into) my body is my own business. Just as I respect others decisions as to what they feel is right for them. If others are uncomfortable with my decisions, well I'm afraid that is really their problem ...

As for feeling "special" ... well, if that means HUNGRY and sometimes bored, then yes, I guess I do feel special!

Just my 2 cents ... peace out
Linda
Old 08-26-2003, 11:10 AM   #369

Gallery:
Quote:
Originally posted by adillenal
Okay. I have to come out and admit it. I was sucked in by Kimmer ---AGAIN!!!! First, I lost 30 pounds on Low Carb My Way. I am at goal and maintaining. BUT I have RA and I started a flare. My rheumatologist said it could be caused by something I have been eating so I decided to try fasting. This is DAY 4 for me. No more joint pain. I can use my hands normally. Pretty much confirms the food theory.

DH thought I was crazy until I explained how the body heals itself when it doesn't have to concentrate on digesting food. He said that made sense so he is being supportive. Especially now that the joint pain is GONE. But my teeth hurt now. Makes me even happeir that I am not trying to chew anything.
Adillenal, would you quit joining 'cults'? Tell me more about your RA. That's what I was hoping to have improvement with, although I don't have RA, it's bilateral muscle weakness (and d*mn, now I'm cannibilizing my muscles!!!)

BabyPHAT, honestly, water fasting to lose 170 pounds is probably beyond a do-it-yourself project. Nothing to back that up with, except all the studies for morbid obesity I've read were while the person was hospitalized with monitoring 24/7. Do you have medical insurance? Can you switch doctors? After fasting for a few weeks, and reading the links plus whatever else you find, go to your doctor and discuss water fasting. Chances are you'll have a hard time to finding support -- not that they don't believe -- but that their malpractice insurance is on the line. You'll have much greater luck with an eastern doctor (Arab, Asian, Pakistani/Indian).

Nady, I'm also psorasis free! Smooth elbows once again! Lots of dead skin on my feet though, and I'm scrubbing them every night. Okie dokie, body, have at it!

Dori, I would have done the ACV the same way -- doh!!!

Lori, we don't throw water -- we're too busy drinking it, LOL!

Hi Jan & Allison!

Old 08-26-2003, 11:35 AM   #370
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Hey Kimmer. I had DNA testing done to see if I had the BAD RA or the more annoying variety. Luckily I don't have enough genes for it to have the crippling kind, mine is more annoying but it can get quite painful. I have been in remission for over a year but I have really widened my food choices this summer. SOMETHING is a trigger. I just have to find out what. My flares have always been in the fall in the past. More like October. First one was after DS was born 14 years ago. Never knew I had it until then. I was hoping to avoid a fall flare.

Wonder what I used to eat every Oct that I started on early this year? I sure hope it isn't the cherry tomatoes. I have a bumper crop and just graze on them in the garden as I walk through. Now I am craving cherry tomatoes.

Today has been the hardest day for me. I breezed through Day 1 and 2. Tummy has been growling all day. I don't eat hamburgers but they sure smelled good in the cafeteria while I was doing lunch duty.

That 5 gallon Ozarka bottle is sure going down fast in the workroom. Hope no one notices that I am the reason.

Hope everyone lasts on their fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I may not make it any longer but I sure feel in control now. I can finish today anyway.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
Old 08-26-2003, 11:48 AM   #371
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leftout
Stats: 289/?/150
WOE: hcg drops
Start Date: 11/22/10
Mid-day of day 2

Okay, my mouth now feels like it is stuffed with cotton. I don't "feel" thirsty, but need to drink to get rid of the dryness...
which last as long as the water is in my mouth .

I haven't told anyone of my fasting, but I will if asked. I too control what I do...and the point is I was losing the food control and want the knowledge and feeling of "eating to live not living to eat". ( I almost typed that the other way,LOL)

Jan and Kose(I think), stay the course, it took me twice to get through the first day too. D&*^$ them DEMONS......
Old 08-26-2003, 11:53 AM   #372

I found another fasting link~

Nutritional Program for Fasting
It has some interesting info~

Also, a reference page with links on RA~

Rheumatoid Arthritis and Diet

Hope these have new info for anyone needing it~
~~~N
Old 08-26-2003, 12:01 PM   #373
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baby PHAT
Okay

So when natural hunger returns that is your body telling you that it's ready to stop fasting. That make sense. So we'll see how long that takes.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:33 PM   #374
Major LCF Poster!

I didn't mean to imply anyone here isn't a grown up nor not capable of making their own decisions. I just was expressing my concern because of my own experiences.

If this doesn't apply to you please ignore my post.

Lori

Remember I'm on your side!!
Old 08-26-2003, 12:57 PM   #375
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Nady - Thanks for the links. I am allergic to wheat big time but did not find out until I was 35 so I ate lots of it for many years. I have been eating a few LC tortillas. Maybe????

Kimmer - I never was a cult member until I "met" you!

Lori 42 - I understood your post and did not take it personally. I work for a school district so therefore I am desensitized Hang in there. I do see where fasting could possibly be a problem for someone with a tendency toward eating disorders. I was thin until DS arrived 14 years ago so I never had issues with weight until I was 40. I consider myself lucky. I was one of those naturally thin people that ate like a horse. Hormones sure can mess you up. I have stuggled for the past 14 years to lose the 50 pounds I gained with DS. Thanks to Kimmer and LCMW I was successful.

Downside to weight loss has been the huge expense of replacing my size 12 and 14 wardrobe. Wearing 8's now with a few 6's thrown in. I am a school administrator so I have a professional wardrobe and I LOVE clothes. My mother spoiled me. I almost cried when I had to get rid of favorite outfits that are just TOO big. But it sure has been fun replacing them

I love low carb and trying new things like fasting. Yes, I am crazy but you have to be to have a staff of 40ish women who I think are ALL going through "the change" at the same time. Talk about cranky. I feel so at peace. Maybe I can convince all of them to try fasting. We could snarl at each the first few days and then mellow out together.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:03 PM   #376
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, adillenal!

Lori

Last edited by Lori42; 08-26-2003 at 01:06 PM..
Old 08-26-2003, 01:51 PM   #377

Gallery:
Adillenal, thanks! I'm also concerned about RA because it's an autoimmune condition, I already have 3, and they tend to cluster (at least in our family!) Just somthing for me to watch about. Hmmm, if the RA is helped, maybe my other stuff? We'll see.

Nady, thanks for the links! I'm going to read now ...

Leftover, we all had the cotton mouth. You drink, drink, drink and it doesn't help. I'm thinking it's the extra deep ketosis.

Oh, forgot to mention. If any water fasters also use ketosticks, this would be the PERFECT time to test and see what your darkest I'm-burning-fat-because-I-literally-haven't-eaten-anything-in-days color is. Your body is burning body fat at peak intensity right now. When you resume eating, this will be a reference for you and give you an idea of whether your ketostick color is affected by your personal chemistry/pH balance or whatever.

Old 08-26-2003, 02:50 PM   #378
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ohsque
Stats: 262 | 260 | 180
WOE: simply low carb...
Start Date: 08/26/2013
well, count me in all you foxy-detoxy folks!
I just couldn't let you all succeed and me not jump on the wagon with ya!

I'm on my day 1 - it's also my day 1 of TOM- sooo, I thought, I feel yucky anyways- so, why not just start the fast- feel yucky all at once and get it over with!

My reasons for fasting are mainly to gain some sense of control over food again. I have been a low carber for a year now, and seem to constantly low carb, lose a few pounds, cheat, gain a few pounds, low carb, lose, then cheat, then gain.... a horrible cycle that has been going on for 6 months plus! It's time to break this cycle- and a cleansing just might be what I am needing!

I'm thinking no food=no cheats. No tiny *tastes*- no samples -no "I'll start tomorrow" etc....

I'm also just amazed at all the self-healing I've been reading about!

If you will, I'd like to join y'all- share my days and share the good experience of what a fast can bring!

BTW, My name is Susie- I'm 37 years old- and get this, I own/run a coffee/bakery/sandwich shop- sooo, please tell me that the hunger pains do indeed fade away after a few days-

Old 08-26-2003, 03:06 PM   #379
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LilOleBelle
Stats: UCK !!!!
WOE: Low-Carb WOE
Start Date: T O S O !!!!!
Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
All of you Cult Followers!!!!!!!D
I just LOVE this kind of CULT followingggggggg.....
*(&*%$@@#$%&*()__)((*&^

Heyyy, Kimmer Everyone Else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry, I haven't been posting much, but with school starting back things have been so busy with my 3 boys, so I really haven't had much time on my hands...

THANK GOODNESS !!!!!!
And I'm so very glad for thatttttt....

If you get my drift !!!! HA! HA!
But I did manage to get one post in yesterday and I will try and do beter today....
Thanks for asking, you are such a sweetheart...
DD, doesn't really care what I do..
I think he is tried of grippoing at me...

Legs are finally feeling better, back has stoppedhurting and I'm geting color back into my face... Yipeeeeeeee
Still no pimples or oily skin, but that may have to do with the fact that I take bubble bath everytime, and I scrub, rub, and soakkkkk .......

We are all doing such a UNBELIEVEABLE job, that words can not express, how I feel about our AWESOME, GROUP...
We are soooo full ofHEART !!!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
EVERYONE
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
SHANG!!! BANG!!! BOOM!!! (*&^%#@@#$%^^&

Always Belle

Last edited by LilOleBelle; 08-26-2003 at 03:40 PM..
Old 08-26-2003, 03:48 PM   #380
Senior LCF Member

DRANK THAT WATER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Always Belle

Last edited by LilOleBelle; 08-26-2003 at 03:52 PM..
Old 08-26-2003, 03:52 PM   #381

Gallery: lynnjp
Stats: 273/179/150
WOE: Began JUDDD 3/18/12 UD1600 DD 490
Start Date: 4/28/2001
Hi there folks!!

I have been following your thread since you first began yes lurking as most folks call it It has saddened me to have other folks attack you-while I have chosen a different path for myself I certainly am amazed at the self-healing results you folks are having-I applaud you all for your strength and determination and hope you all get the detoxifying results that you are seeking. I certainly understand that we all are different and that is why there are so many folks here following different types of plans for different reason. We all have researched what is best for ourselves and chosen the plan for that reason-I know when I chose to switch my nutrition from Atkins to BFL style many folks questioned that and expressed a concern. I worked the plan for a while found it didn't work for me and moved on. I sure do wish that we all could respect everyone here and the decisions that they make and continue to offer support to ALL of our members. I will continue to watch your progress with great interest-best of luck to each of you!

JUDDD 3/18/12 180 pounds 6/27 166 9/17 161

Link to my photos
http://community.webshots.com/user/lynnjc
Old 08-26-2003, 04:07 PM   #382

Gallery: Kose
i'm into my day 1 after restarting. i've not eaten for 10 hrs and i intend to let it remain that way!

i know i can, i know i can. afterall, it gets better after day1 doesnt it?
Old 08-26-2003, 04:24 PM   #383
Senior LCF Member

Always Belle
Old 08-26-2003, 07:41 PM   #384
Seriouslyme

Gallery: Seriouslyme
Hi all! Gosh busy thread today! Great.

Kimmer, yes, I have had a lymphatic massage...it was fab. After I had it, I started studying on how the lymphatic system worked and was surprised to learn that it doesn't have it's own pumping system, but rather more like a drain. How 'bout you?

I am sleepy. And my chin is breaking out... here we go again. I am considering switching my fast to one of veggi juices and broth for about a week. See what happens.

I know lots of questions are on the board, but I need a nap.

HEY!!!! What day are we on? 8 or 9?

Oh, and I am starting to 'look' fat! I am wondering how that could be...but indeed it is. I think my tummy is swelling up. Could be jiggly puff...could be my dopey imagination.

Thanks Lynnjc for your comments. Glad your skin is showing such improvement Nady.

Old 08-26-2003, 07:41 PM   #385
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: karat
Stats: 176/176/130
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: Jan 7, 2008
Just wanted to check in; I'm doing very well, no complaints. I am absolutely amazed at how I have PROVED to myself I can control myself. This is the greatest gift I could have given myself. I came off the fast yesterday after nearly 4 days. This was my plan--first fast, so I kept it short. There has been no trouble whatsoever sticking to simply prepared foods; my portion control is astounding. This is what I needed--a new mindset. I really do control my eating; I am not ruled by whim anymore.

I plan on regular 36 hour fasts from now on, probably monthly or semimonthly.

Btw, before I joined this challenge, I researched fasting thoroughly. I don't just "jump on the bandwagon." However, I also don't discount something just because it's new (to me). Thanks, Kimmer!

karat
Old 08-26-2003, 08:04 PM   #386
Seriouslyme

Karat...great job. I agree with you...after I come off this fast, I will incorporate fasts into my life a couple of times per year.

Old 08-27-2003, 03:50 AM   #387
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AllisonB
Stats: Day of surgery:255/Today:142/Goal:140
Start Date: RNY 8/20/2012
Day 10: No weight change today. I have the "internal furnace" feeling that someone else mentioned (alot) earlier, but my forehead is cool. Face is a little oily this morning but the zits are disappearing again. My sinuses have been draining for the last day, but no other symptoms of a cold

Day 1 of water fast: 8/18/03: 225 lbs., SHS: 0
Day 2 of water fast: 8/19/03: 220 lbs., SHS: 0
Day 3 of water fast: 8/20/03: 219 lbs., SHS: -1
Day 4 of water fast: 8/21/03: 216 lbs., SHS: 0
Day 5 of water fast: 8/22/03: 212 lbs., SHS: 0
Day 6 of water fast: 8/23/03: 211 lbs., SHS: 0
Day 7 of water fast: 8/24/03: 210 lbs., SHS: 0
Day 8 of water fast: 8/25/03: 209 lbs., SHS: 0
Day 9 of water fast: 8/26/03: 207 lbs., SHS: 0
Day 10 of water fast: 8/27/03: 207 lbs., SHS: 0 (18 lbs!)
Old 08-27-2003, 04:51 AM   #388

Gallery:
Day 10

Day 1 136.0
Day 2 133.5
Day 3 130.5
Day 4 128.0
Day 5 126.5
Day 6 125.5
Day 7 125.0
Day 8 124.5
Day 9 123.5
Day10 123.5

Allison, we're twins with no weight loss! You're feeling like a furnace, huh? I'm not. Actually, I'm not feeling anything. I feel just like I do every day, which is "fine" but not "detoxing". Where's Dr. Bragg to ask about all of this, LOL?

Old 08-27-2003, 05:47 AM   #389
Seriouslyme

Day 10

Hi Allison and Kimmer.....we three are up early.

Allison...you are at another level of detox sounds like...active. There should be a nice 'rest' around day 11/12. My sinus' are draining too! I have a sore throat because of it I think. I am very very tired.

Kimmer...hi. Well you must be a very 'quiet' detoxer. Don't feel or notice any major effects? How about improvements to any previous pains or skin issues?

I am just tired. My face is very oily, but break outs on chin from day ago are already clearing. I am drinking cold tea with a vitamin and mineral suppliment starting today. I want to see if I can make use of vitamin/minerals. Absorbtion is what it is about, without digestion. So I am using a powder kind.

Must rush to work. Another day calls. Can't wait to come home and go to bed. Brain foggy here this morning. I don't want fish anymore. Now I am thinking of won tons.

Old 08-27-2003, 06:18 AM   #390

Gallery:
[color=blue]Good morning Seriously! Actually I have had "quiet" improvement in a few areas!

Yesterday I went to my doctor (don't want to disappoint anyone on the PG, but I'm doing great! ). I'm going to be a foster mom and needed a 'health screening' form completed and a TB test.

What I first noticed is how EASY it was to walk the 2 flights of stairs to his office!!! It was so easy, I walked to the bottom and did it again (usually my leg muscles are killing me in the middle of the first flight!) My skin isn't breaking out anymore and my legs don't resemble lizard skin anymore (that seems to be my pattern: lizard, normal, lizard, etc.)

Anyhow, so I told the doctor it was Day 9 of my water fast, which he ignored and continued asking me the questions on the form I needed to be filled out.

I told him I didn't feel real "different" inside so did he think it was time to end the fast (hoping he'd say "yes" so I could have a Diet Dr. Pepper) and he said it was up to me, that it had "only" been 9 days (yes, he said "only"). I asked what he thought if I added some homemade veggie broth or Centrum? He said it wasn't the same as water, but still very good. He reminded me again that fasting isn't a one time thing, it should be ongoing throughout your life (he didn't give any number of days or frequency). I told him I just thought I would feel "worse" as proof of detox and he asked me how often I've done my Friday night to Monday morning fasts, and I told him once a month for about 12 years. He told me that's what he was saying, that the effect of fasting is cumulative and maybe I didn't have as much to purge. (But I wanna purge -- I wanna, I wanna, I wanna!)

So, since I can't get a firm decision from my doctor (I don't think he thinks Americans "get it" ), I'm going to continue with water 4 more days until Day 14, then begin adding homemade veggie broth (very heavy on garlic & onion). I'll also begin adding my milk thistle and Centrum, but I'm not sure how effective that will be because I won't be eating enough "fats" for the fat soluble vitamins. On Day 21, I'm going to begin adding lightly steamed, very well chewed (!) veggies, etc.

My blood pressure was 97/68 (lower than usual) and pulse 59 (same), which my doctor said was because of the water loss and that my body doesn't have to work hard right now. I asked my doctor about the weight loss and he was totally unconcerned. He said I'd gain 8-10 back as water when I start eating again.

He ordered my usual blood work for my hypothyroidism, even though I'm not due. He also checked off some extra tests (hmmm). I go back on Thursday for my TB reading and my blood work should also be back by then, so I'll report about that (how boring am I, LOL?)[/color]

PS - Island Blue hasn't posted, so I did "blue" in her honor! Hey Belle!