Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2003, 05:23 PM   #1
Mony

Gallery: Mony
CLA WORKS!!!

Omg you guys!! I posted this in Century Club but I wanted you all to know that Ive found CLA DOES WORK!!

I have noticed a JUMP in inch loss in the past couple weeks but had only measured perodically -
THEN
2 days ago I measured and I'd lost 1/2 inch from my stomach, 1/2 inch from my waist and 1/2 inch from my hips!!

I measured AGAIN this morning and Ive lost ANOTHER 1/2 inch from each of the SAME places!! is that WILD??

CLA is my new BEST FRIEND!!! lol

(Ive had terrible pms all week so Ive cheated a little including TAPIOCA pudding with whipped cream LAST NIGHT and I still had the loss this morning!)

If you havent tried it yet......... RACE to the nearest Gnc lol

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2003, 05:24 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saturngal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2003
What is CLA?
Old 06-14-2003, 05:26 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Blonde_4_ever
Start Date: July 2012
Can I ask how much you are taking??? I just started taking it last week and my bottle recomends 1000mg just before meals 3 x per day. What do you do?
Old 06-14-2003, 05:26 PM   #4
Mony

Its a supplement that you get from a nutrition center- theres been alot of talk on the boards about it this week- page back a coupel of days and you will find some REALLY good info that alot of others posted :-) in here and in the century club

Old 06-14-2003, 05:29 PM   #5
Mony

Ive been taking it generally 3 per day - morning afternoon and lunch and sometimes if I have a fatty snack I took one then too. After reading some posts recommending atleast 4-6 per day I uped mine the past 2 days to 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon and atleast 1 at night

Im am TOTALLY shocked with the results, I measured and remeasured and then again to be sure LOL

Old 06-14-2003, 05:32 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Blonde_4_ever
Start Date: July 2012
HHmmm...maybe I will try afew more. I am hoping to be "shocked" too. How long have you taking it???
Old 06-14-2003, 05:42 PM   #7
Mony

I dont have the exact date but I know its been close to 4 I 'think' maybe 3 but its been a dramatic difference. My inch loss was slowed quite a bit and I stopped measuring for 2 weeks because I didnt want to get depressed and throw myself into a 'woe is me' attitude and give up

SO about a week ago I did the measurements after 2 weeks and I noticed a big jump but I just figured it was because it had been 2 weeks but like I said previously Im waking up with a half inch difference about every 2 days- let me know how it goes for you!!

Old 06-14-2003, 05:44 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LUVMYGABBY
Stats: 280/268/200
Start Date: 4/28/03 restart 8/1/14
Congrats on your loss, just one question though I see your doing body flex do you think that has something to do with it also. I am looking into buy the system and see alot of people talk really good about it.
Old 06-14-2003, 05:47 PM   #9
Mony

Thank you :-) NO I have to SHAMEFULLY admit I have NOT been doing my body flex ( I just posted on that a coupel of days ago lol) Ive been REALLY lazy and moody due to pms and CANNOT get motivated to pick up the bar. Ive heard ALOT of people say Body Flex has done WONDERFULLY for them and I REALLY enjoy it when I DO DO it but I havent done it in weeks

Old 06-14-2003, 09:58 PM   #10

Gallery:
cla

Can you get CLA from Wal-mart of do you have to go to a nutrition store like GNC? How much do they cost?

Amiee

Old 06-14-2003, 10:15 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mbutterfly
WOE: low carb
Start Date: April 23 2003, Sep 1 2004, Jan 1 2009
i seen it at walmart, but not the brand everyone recomends....I think its tonilin?????
Old 06-14-2003, 10:28 PM   #12
Mony

I got mine at the nutrition center but a couple of days ago a couple of people were asking about the Walmart brand and some of the other users said that they were NOT the same and basically a waste of money....

Old 06-14-2003, 11:51 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
It is Conjugated Linoleic Acid. If you do a search on netrition.com (click one of the banners) for it, it will explain what it is supossed to do.

The best version to buy is one that says "Tonalin" somewhere on the front. Tonalin is a company that developed the way to process the CLA in the way that keeps it most effective. They license their process and charge a fee to other companies, which is why the Tonalin versions are more expensive than the others.

I got my 90 pill bottle for $16.99 on sale at a whole foods store in SoCal.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Old 06-15-2003, 12:33 AM   #14
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: nl_schober
Stats: 145/122
Start Date: Jan 9, 2003, reached goal June 21, 2003
I've had great success with CLA also. The recommended dose is 3400 mg/day. But I didn't need that much to see results. 500 mg/day worked for me. I'd only stay on it for 6 months or so.
Old 06-15-2003, 06:02 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ImVickieB
WOE: Low Carb My Way
Start Date: Restarted 12/20/2010
Wow, this stuff has a lot of great effects. I actually bought off Ebay last night because it says that it does particularly well on reducing abdomen fat but here are the other things is it touted to do:

CLA reduces body fat in mice by up to 88% - A recent study at the Louisiana State University confirmed that feeding male mice a CLA-enriched diet for six weeks resulted in 43% to 88% lower body fat, especially in regard to abdominal fat. In another study, performed at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, mice supplemented with only .5% of CLA showed up to 60% lower body fat and up to 14% increased lean body mass compared to controls. The researchers discovered that CLA-fed animals showed greater activity of enzymes involved in the delivery of fatty acids to the muscle cells and the utilization of fat for energy, while the enzymes facilitating fat deposition were inhibited.

CLA improves insulin sensitivity - A study using diabetic rats indicates that part of CLA's effectiveness in preventing obesity may lie in its ability to act as a potent insulin sensitizer, thus lowering insulin resistance and consequently insulin levels. Since elevated insulin is the chief pro-obesity agent, it is important to keep insulin within the normal range. By activating certain enzymes and enhancing glucose transport into the cells, CLA acts to lower blood sugar levels and normalize insulin levels.

CLA inhibits the growth of prostate cancer while linoleic acid promotes it - Immuno-deficient mice inoculated with human prostate cancer cells were fed either a standard diet, a diet supplemented with 1% linoleic acid, or a diet supplemented with 1% CLA. Mice receiving linoleic acid showed significantly higher body weight and increased tumor load compared with the two other groups. CLA-supplemented mice, on the other hand, showed the lowest tumor load and a dramatic reduction in lung metastasis.

CLA supplementation helps prevent the initiation, promotion and metastasis of breast cancer - In a study performed at Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo, 50 day-old rats were treated with a potent carcinogen and then supplemented with 1% CLA for 4, 8 or 20 weeks. Only rats receiving CLA for the full 20 weeks showed tumor inhibition. In another study,it was found that, besides inhibiting tumor growth, CLA totally prevented the metastasis of breast cancer to the lungs and bone marrow.

Immune-enhancing effects of CLA - CLA has been found to stimulate the production of lymphocytes and of interleukin-2, and to increase the levels of certain immunoglobulins, while lowering the release of immunoglobulin E, associated with allergies. Improved immune function resulting from CLA supplementation can also be postulated on the basis of its ability to lower the production of immunosuppressive compounds such as leukotrienes and series II prostaglandins, and to improve insulin sensitivity (elevated insulin leads to immunosuppression)

Anti-Atherogenic effects of CLA - It has been shown that CLA improves insulin sensitivity. Since elevated insulin promotes atherosclerosis, any agent that lowers insulin levels by improving insulin sensitivity can be classified as anti-atherogenic. However, CLA has also been shown to have further anti-atherogenie benefits thanks to its ability to improve serum lipids and to its tocopherol (Vitamin E)-sparing effect.

CLA lowers cholesterol and triglycerides, helps keep arteries clean - A study at the University of Wisconsin-Madison found that rabbits supplemented with .5g CLA/day showed markedly lower total and LDL cholesterol, lower LDL to HDL ratio, lower total cholesterol to HDL ratio, and lower serum triglycerides.
A study done at the University of Massachusetts confirmed that hamsters whose diets were supplemented with CLA showed significantly lower total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol and triglycerides compared to controls. The serum of CLA-fed hamsters also showed higher tocopherol/cholesterol ratios, indicating that CLA has a tocopherol- sparing effect (that is, being less oxidizable than linoleic acid, it does not require as much Vitamin E for antioxidant protection).

Possible anti-osteoporosis effects of CLA - A study done at Purdue University showed that in various rat tissue cultures, including bone tissue, supplemental CLA (at 1% of diet) decreased the levels of omega-6 fatty acids and total monosaturated fatty acids, while increasing the concentrations of omega-3 fatty acids and saturated acids. Since inflammatory compounds lead to bone loss, CLA might potentially be of use in preventing osteoporosis.

The Safety of CLA - In a study conducted by the Nutrition Department of Kraft Foods, male rats were fed a diet of 1.5% CLA, which is 50 times higher than the estimated upper-range human intake. The animals were examined weekly for any signs of toxicity; no toxicity was found. The study confirmed that CLA supplementation is safe even at high doses. Nevertheless, high doses are not necessary for obtaining the benefits of CLA.

Human studies on CLA - A pioneering Norwegian human study found that CLA-supplemented subjects lost up to 20% of their body fat in three months without changing their diet, while the control subjects on the average gained a slight amount of body fat during the same period
Old 06-15-2003, 06:22 AM   #16
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Yes, CLA does work!

Tonalin is a patented type of CLA that ensures you are getting a high quality product. You can find many brands of CLA that contain Tonalin CLA. Look for your results to be inches lost (especially from abs), not pounds.

Here's a link to the Tonalin site:
[COLOR=red]removed[/COLOR]
Old 06-15-2003, 07:00 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Karla1960
Stats: 160/158/120
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 02/02/2014
I wonder if the one at walgreens would be ok. I don't have a gnc close by. I can't wait to try this!
Old 06-15-2003, 07:06 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 194/130/130
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 03/07/03
Can you tell me if your buying the brand name Tonalin or just so it says it contains Tonalin....One of the sites listed says Wal Mart carries it. And for the ebay buyer what brand did you buy on Ebay ....I went and looked and was lost there were a few brands listed.
Old 06-15-2003, 07:12 AM   #19

The brand I usually buy is Vitamin World. The brand is not so important. You want to be sure the type of CLA it contains is Tonalin. That means it is patented & the quality is good. If it contains Tonalin CLA the bottle will say so. You will pay more for Tonalin CLA.

Check around and compare prices. Most of the time GNC is more expensive than other places. I usually buy mine from /Vitamin World. They carry a "bonus" size that has 30% free (54 extra). The price is $46.18 for 234 softgels, but when I've bought it I used a 50% off coupon and only paid $23.09. I actually found some online for a dollar less but only got that when I was buying enough to get free shipping.

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 06-15-2003 at 07:13 AM..
Old 06-15-2003, 07:19 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Thanks so much I think I will go find some today....Ebay has 180 for 33.99 so your getting it much cheaper....I usually find Ebay cheaper on vitamens and pills but I will look around
Old 06-15-2003, 07:28 AM   #21

There is also another kind of CLA that is good. By kind, I mean another name for the ingredient other than Tonalin. (This does get to sounding confusing! )It's called Clarinol. I believe it may be a bit more concentrated than the Tonalin but I haven't seen it anywhere and most likely is not any less expensive. I've checked with a reliable source and have been told that it is not better than Tonalin.
[COLOR=red]removed[/COLOR]
Old 06-15-2003, 08:18 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

what brand does everyone use, besides gnc??
Old 06-15-2003, 09:08 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

I bought from Ebay by searching for Tonalin [COLOR=red]removed[/COLOR] The brand that is there is from the manufacturer selling on ebay and it appears that other health related ecommerce sites also sell that brand so it would appear that it is not a "fly by night" operation. He had really good feedback as well.

I paid $33.99 for 180 capsules and that seemed to be a really good price after searching on the net.

Netrition also sells CLA with the other brand name mentioned above, Clarinol. That one is in a liquid form and not a pill. You can find it by clicking on The MarketPlace http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/frames/marketplace.html and then searching for CLA. The first link will take you directly to the info page.
Old 06-15-2003, 09:25 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Thats the same brand item on ebay I was searching also....I buy alot on Ebay and his feedback is good ....you get the 2 bottles for 33.99 plus shipping and handling and I think I will buy that also.
Thanks
Old 06-15-2003, 09:36 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

How about walmart or walgreens? I don't want to pay to have it shipped if I can get it at the store.
Old 06-15-2003, 09:39 AM   #26
Miss Innocent

Gallery: Crohnie
Stats: 196/179/149
WOE: HCG
Start Date: 07/01/10
Quote:
i have lost 6 inches in my waist(the trouble spot)
I love the stuff and think it is a small price to pay. PLus I feel better.

Couple of links for people who posted that don't know what it is

http://www.eatwild.com/cla.html

http://www.immunesupport.com/librar...cle.cfm?ID=2938

http://www.realmilk.com/conj.html

http://thyroid.about.com/library/weekly/aa012601a.htm

http://ods.od.nih.gov/Showpage.aspx?pageid=97

http://www.wisc.edu/fri/clarefs.htm

I take 4 1000 mg a day. I use Tonalin ONLY.

I buy them when they are on sale at Vitaminshoppe and puritan

Good Luck

JMHO

Michele
Old 06-15-2003, 09:43 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

I am really hoping that this works for me as I am one of those who carries a TON of weight in the abdomen area. Yes, low carb is working for me and will continue to do so, but I can see if I stick with just this WOE and exercise, I am going to STILL have this yucky excess of fat and skin to deal with.

If CLA works, I will be the poster child and post the before and after shots as I have purposely taken pics of the horrible ab flab
Old 06-15-2003, 09:46 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mstigerlily
Stats: 170/152/140
Start Date: 9/1/10
Great, I just bought some from Ebay. Hope it works for me too!

Tigerlily
Old 06-15-2003, 09:52 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

If you bought if from the same guy I did, it also comes with free Fat Blocker. As fat is a major part Atkins, I would highly suggest that you don't use them.

I actually wrote him asking him NOT to include the freebie as I would just end up throwing it away. Haven't heard back from him yet though.
Old 06-15-2003, 10:27 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mstigerlily
Stats: 170/152/140
Start Date: 9/1/10
Yeah, same guy. I guess we don't need the fat blocker, eh? I'll just stick them on the shelf or give them away to someone who wants that kind of thing.

Tigerlily