Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2003, 08:56 AM   #241
momof3rlb

Gallery: momof3rlb
I was sent this post and wanted to share it....

Quote:
Good luck! CLA really is a good supplement, but I worry that some people are ex[ecting it to be a "magic pill." All the excitement is a bit much. I hope a lot of folks are not disappointed. It really does just give a little edge to a sound nutrituion/exercise plan. While you may see big losses in inches at first, you can't expect that to continue all the time you take CLA. For many, CLA is not really good for fat loss, but more for keeping of the fat that you've already lost. The is a good reason to take it, too.
We all need to remember that CLA is a supplement to enhance our inch loss. The most important thing is to keep a LCWOE, to drink the water and exercise. It is so easy when you find that "magic pill" to begin cheating, or slacking off on the way we eat. We are here in this LC site because we are discovering LCWOE is what our bodies need. CLA is a bonus...as with any job without work the bonuses stop!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2003, 09:06 AM   #242
Miss Innocent

Gallery: Crohnie
Stats: 196/179/149
WOE: HCG
Start Date: 07/01/10
actually Polar Bear, Dr Atkins IS making supplements with CLA in them now...............please read up

Thanx
Old 06-22-2003, 10:29 AM   #243
GateGirl

Gallery: GateGirl
For LemonKitten

Holland and Barrett here in the UK sell Tonalin CLA 1000mg gel caps. They are half price at the moment at £10.99 for 90 caps. But hurry, the salesgirl said there had been a rush on. Hope this helps.

Old 06-22-2003, 10:38 AM   #244
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LemonKitten
Stats: 171/166.5/140
WOE: Low carb (<30)
Start Date: 3rd time lucky?
Thanks for the help guys!! Gategirl - i'm off to find my nearest H&B right now!!!!
Old 06-22-2003, 11:14 AM   #245
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: bybs54
Stats: 58 pounds GONE!
WOE: Low Carb/Calorie Aware
Start Date: 1-27-03 GOAL 12-03! Still Maintaining!! :)
Question...

So does that mean we will be taking CLA for the rest of our lives? Just a little confused....thanks for any insight.

Thanks for the helpful info!
Old 06-22-2003, 12:02 PM   #246
momof3rlb

I'm not sure..I was never one to take vitamins, my doctor suggested Easy Iron and it really helped be feel better well worth taking forever. I need to add a multivitamin too probably. If CLA is as helpful as I hope it to be it would be worth taking forever (plus I quit taking stool softners now that I'm on CLA). CLA isn't a "diet pill" it is a supplement (I found mine in the vitamin section at the pharmacy). Maybe I'm kidding myself, but maybe this is what by body needs to lower my body fat definite health benefit.

Old 06-22-2003, 12:22 PM   #247
Mony

Gallery: Mony
Hello fellow teammates :-P

let me set the record clear since there have been some negative posts lately

Im sure all of you already know this but I dont want to mislead anyone

The ENTIRE time Ive been taking CLA I stayed LCing and walked 3 miles per day 5- 6 days a week- So while it is not a 'miracle pill' it works MIRACULOUSLY - atleast for me. My inchloss was slow but steady for several weeks but they DROPPED quickly once I started taking the CLA daily. If you go back a few posts TADA made a post and she lost like an inch in just a few days, prior to it had taken her several weeks to lose the SAME inch

I dont have stock in CLA (unfortunatley lol) Im not trying to persuade anyone to take these, it benefits me in no way. This is supposed to be a board offering help to fellow dieters and the information was offered with the best intentions to help others who need it. If you want someone to convince you, it wont be me. There is MORE than enough information given in this thread and you'll have to make your own judgement call. Also, I have to say that the other harmful diet products were synthetic, CLA is derived from natural substances.
If you dont want to take it- dont take it but please start another thread -CLA haters club or something. You have EVERY right to your opinion but since you havent taken it then this really isnt the correct forum for anti CLA posts. This was meant for postive posts and questions from those seriously interested or wanting help

To the rest of you- Good Luck!! Cant wait to hear your results

Old 06-22-2003, 12:28 PM   #248
Mony

Hi bybs54 - I agree with Momof3, I dont see it as a necessity of life however if it makes you feel better or helps you from regaining weight in the abdominal area than its worth taking for a lifetime

Brandy your 2 cents were worth 2 bucks LOL well said, the comparisons were perfect

Old 06-22-2003, 12:42 PM   #249
momof3rlb

Thank you for speaking up!!! I don't want to offend anyone or presuade them into my way of thinking. As an equal courtesy I don't want someone raining on my parade.

I personally welcome someone sharing a newsbreaking update on the benefit or harm of CLA, sharing it without bias.

e.g.The news made a big issue about HRT, it was on nearly every channel, a week after my hysterectomy and the day after I was placed on HRT. I called my GYN and without going into detail, there was "alot " about that news flash that wouldn't pretain to me. I am taking HRT and feel like it is the "miracle pill"!!

Old 06-22-2003, 01:04 PM   #250
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kimk2
I ordered the Country Life CLA Complex
Serving Size 1 Softgel
Amount Per Serving
Conjugated Linoleic Acid Complex (from safflower seed oil) 1,000 mg
The web site description say this
Iron-Tek Essential CLA Pure Tonalin CLA Complex: so its got the Tonalin in it.
From what I understand everyone to be saying is I should take 3 a day before a meal? Do I also take a flax seed gelcap with it 3 x's a day I have only been taking one Flax seed gelcap a day.
Old 06-22-2003, 01:05 PM   #251
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coastcat
WOE: LCMW
Well, regarding CLA and research... there simply haven't been that many studies on the effects of CLA, and there's certainly nothing conclusive yet. Research is continuing, though, because CLA shows a lot of potential in the prevention of breast cancer, clogged arteries, and fat formation. Some research concludes that CLA may not have a positive effect, but other research concludes that it may. I think CLA's potential for stored fat metabolism is not as high as a research priority as the anti-carcinogenic and anti-atherosclerotic properties, so it may be a while before we can point to studies that say yes, CLA accelerates the loss of stored fat.

However, based upon CLA's potential, plus the anecdotal evidence here from those who've tried it, I've decided to give it a try. It won't do any harm, and I really hope it helps!

(it better work - those 1000mg horse pills are a b*tch to swallow!)
Old 06-22-2003, 02:55 PM   #252
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jam0601
I am just adding this post so I can be kept up to date on this topic. Might invest in some after doing some research.
Old 06-22-2003, 05:39 PM   #253
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marilyn200122
Stats: 196-154-145
WOE: Atkins, all the way baby!!
Start Date: January 1, 2003
I'm off tomorrow morning to get myself some of these!!

at GNC.......it's 1000mgs........

I can't wait to try em!! Seems these last few inches I have to lose won't budge......hopefully this will help!!

Sorry, but I must have missed the whole point of taking flax pills also?? Why do you guys use this also???
Old 06-22-2003, 08:33 PM   #254
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: silkandsand
Stats: 167/160/130
WOE: PB&J
Does anyone know how much flaxseed equals the oil in one gel pill of flax oil?????????????????? I can't get flax oil here, but I can get loads of flax seed! Hope someone will answer...
Old 06-22-2003, 09:00 PM   #255
momof3rlb

Good question!!! I'll try to find out!!!

Old 06-22-2003, 09:38 PM   #256
momof3rlb

The best I can figure is 1000mg capsule =1g of flax seed does that help??

Old 06-22-2003, 09:44 PM   #257
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JuliaJulia
I just wanted to drop in and let you guys know that since I took CLA (probably about 4 days), I have lost 2 inches in my abdomen, and dropped 1.5 lbs. It could be the CLA, or a whoosh. But, I am amazed at this loss. Hope it continues.
Old 06-22-2003, 10:19 PM   #258
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
I ran across this at MuscleMedia.com while checking out something else & thought I'd share.

More research shows CLA burns fat, builds muscle

A new clinical study from Norwegian scientists confirms earlier research showing that the dietary supplement conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) burns fat and builds muscle.5 In the year-long investigation, which was unveiled at this year's Experimental Biology conference in San Diego, researchers from Scandinavian Clinical Research in Kjeller, Norway, found that body-fat mass of subjects taking CLA for one year were reduced by an amazing 9.6 percent. At the same time, their lean body mass increased by 1.9 percent, as compared to the placebo.

What this means to you:

The case for CLA as a fat burner just keeps on getting stronger. Close to a dozen studies over the last three years have shown CLA burns fat in humans. Better yet, there have been no adverse effects from CLA use in humans documented in the scientific literature.

[COLOR=red]Bottom line:[/COLOR]

This supplement seems to be the real deal.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:00 AM   #259
Mony

Woohooo Julie!! That is AWESOME!! - no matter what the cause was, 2 inches is ALOT! If the inches comtimue to fall off quickly- most likely its the CLA

Thanks for the article Deb

As for the flax seed oil, -Ive been taking it about 2 months BEFORE I started the CLA- it is high in Omegas and is supposed to be EXCELLENT for cardio vascular health and is why I was taking it

someone posted that flax combined with CLA is supposed to produce even better results so at that point everyone got on the flax bandwagon as well!! LOL either way, you should take flax seed for your heart

I take 3 per day with each meal

Old 06-23-2003, 04:21 AM   #260
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thebookie
I've been wondering if I need to take 3 capsules of flax see oil per day since I've been having one flax seed muffin per day as a snack w/a cup of tea in the afternoon. The recipe for this muffin was offered by someone named Linda on this board and makes a delicious treat - far better than Dobie's which I find to be mediciny tasting. If anyone wants the recipe, let me know and I'll post it.

Jane
Old 06-23-2003, 07:32 AM   #261
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: silkandsand
Stats: 167/160/130
WOE: PB&J
Momof3, yes that does help! Thanks! Now if someone knows about how many teaspoons/tablespoons are in 1 gram??????? Anyway, that was helpful. I usually eat about 3 tbs ground up as cereal, so I assume I am getting enough?

Ok, thebookie, hand over that recipe!

My CLA is ordered and on it's way to meet me in Colorado!
Old 06-23-2003, 07:58 AM   #262
Senior LCF Member

This was offered a couple of weeks ago by someone named Linda95926.
My substitutions:
(1) 1/2 cup Erythritol and 1/2 cup DaVinci coconut syrup instead of the liquid Splenda.
(2) Soy protein isolate instead of the wpi (wheat protein isolate).
Didn't have to adjust the consistency. Trust me . . . these are delicious.

Great Muffin recipe

I have been making muffins like crazy and they none were [(sic) - I think she means "weren't] very good. At last I found a great muffin recipe. Tweaked it a little and they turned out great.

LC Flax Seed Muffins

Mix together:
6 T melted butter [0]
3 large eggs [1.8]
1/4 c heavy cream [1.65]
1/4 teaspoon Liquid Splenda (I like mine sweet. 1/4 teas=1 c sugar)[0]
2 teas Vanilla [1.06]

In another bowl combined dry ingrediants:
1 teas baking soda [0]
1 teas baking powder [1]
1 c flax seed meal [15]
1/2 c WPI [.75]
1/2 c unsweetened coconut [2.5]

mix wet & dry together. Bake at 375F for 15-20 minutes.
makes 12 at 2 carbs each. 24 total carbs.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:03 PM   #263
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ScrapDragon
Stats: 184/174/135
WOE: Atkins Low Carb
Quote:
Originally posted by thebookie
This was offered a couple of weeks ago by someone named Linda95926.
My substitutions:
(1) 1/2 cup Erythritol and 1/2 cup DaVinci coconut syrup instead of the liquid Splenda.
(2) Soy protein isolate instead of the wpi (wheat protein isolate).
Didn't have to adjust the consistency. Trust me . . . these are delicious.

Great Muffin recipe

I have been making muffins like crazy and they none were [(sic) - I think she means "weren't] very good. At last I found a great muffin recipe. Tweaked it a little and they turned out great.

LC Flax Seed Muffins

Mix together:
6 T melted butter [0]
3 large eggs [1.8]
1/4 c heavy cream [1.65]
1/4 teaspoon Liquid Splenda (I like mine sweet. 1/4 teas=1 c sugar)[0]
2 teas Vanilla [1.06]

In another bowl combined dry ingrediants:
1 teas baking soda [0]
1 teas baking powder [1]
1 c flax seed meal [15]
1/2 c WPI [.75]
1/2 c unsweetened coconut [2.5]

mix wet & dry together. Bake at 375F for 15-20 minutes.
makes 12 at 2 carbs each. 24 total carbs.
Thanks for sharing the recipe here ... I take it that to end up with flax seed meal I need to "coffee grind" up my flax seed???
Old 06-23-2003, 12:54 PM   #264
Senior LCF Member

Yes, mine came ground already, but apparently other people use a coffee grinder to create meal.

Jane
Old 06-23-2003, 12:57 PM   #265
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JuliaJulia
I am down another pound today!
I am amazed.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:16 PM   #266
Bikerchick

Gallery: Bikerchick
Well, I've been taking my CLA since Friday, so today is the 4th day. I got up this morning and got a rude awakening on the dang scale...up 4 pounds but it is my TOM so I thought well why not measure? Now I just measured last Wednesday and to my surprise I was down 3/4 inch on my bust......1 inch in my waist and 1 inch in my hips!!!! What a great surprise! Whether it is these new suppliments or what I'll take it!

Old 06-23-2003, 01:16 PM   #267
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mz_Colg8smile
Stats: 207/190/150
WOE: Meat Fast & Atkins
Start Date: 7/18/04
I just went to gnc today and bought the LIQUID CLA (Orange Flavor) by Tonalin and I also purchased the LIQUID Flaxseed Oil along with the Women's Mega Multivitamin.

Just wondering if there was anyone out there that has taken the liquid form of CLA and if you have gotten good results from it.

If so please post your results? I really hate taking pills, so I knew 4 horse pills a day wouldn't work for me.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:32 PM   #268
getthin

Gallery: getthin
Testing sig

Old 06-23-2003, 01:38 PM   #269
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: LuvToLose
Stats: 157/156/125
Just testing my sig. I bought 180 softgels at Vitamin Shoppe for 27.98, not bad. They were 1/2 off.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:40 PM   #270
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: LuvToLose
Stats: 157/156/125
Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my sig, it looks like my other pics?

Thanks