Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Past Amazing Posts!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2003, 06:55 PM   #211
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: spazcat
Stats: 220/125!!!/110
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Nov 29 2001
Well you guys finally got to me I got a bottle at walgreens tonite I hope this stuff works!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2003, 07:32 PM   #212
Mony

Gallery: Mony
Quote:
Originally posted by mozomom
wow.....this is the most active post i have ever seen. I have been lurking here for the past couple of days
Becky
Yeah me too, I think this would be a great sticky because of all of the Wonderful Info on CLA and its benefits!

Old 06-20-2003, 08:31 PM   #213
MystiMarie

Gallery: MystiMarie
Ok let me try this and see how bad I screwed it up lol

Old 06-21-2003, 04:33 AM   #214

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
OMG! MONY!

Thank you Thank You Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been taking the CLA and the flax seed oil for 3 days . . .

I did measure and in 3 days I have lost an inch and a half more in my hips and a half an inch in my waist (I have a relatively small waist)!!

Unbelieveable!!! I had lost an inch and a half before that in the space of two weeks, but that amount again in 3 days is unbelieveable!! I even skipped a day of exercise.

Thank you so much!!
Old 06-21-2003, 05:43 AM   #215
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: telzey1
Stats: 165/133/125
WOE: atkins for life
Start Date: april 2003
Interesting....Keto bars contain 250 mg CLA. Has anyone tried them? Are they any good?
Old 06-21-2003, 07:29 AM   #216
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hockeynut
CLA challenge

Hi everyone
How do I get onto the CLA challenge? I just started taking the capsules Friday. Thanks
Old 06-21-2003, 07:39 AM   #217

Gallery: silkandsand
Stats: 167/160/130
WOE: PB&J
Hi everyone!

Does anyone know how much flaxseed we would have to eat to equal the oil in a tab?

I am excited about joining this challenge. I have lost 17 inches total, but only 2 of those inches are in my tummy area. This sounds like just what I need!!! Thanks, Mony and everyone else who has shared.
Old 06-21-2003, 08:06 AM   #218
Mony

OMG TADA!!!!! Im SO EXCITED for you!!!!

I REALLY am!! Isnt that WILD?? When I saw what it did for me , I just HAD to run in here and tell you all!! lol

omg that is FANTASTIC!! measure in a couple of days and it will blow your mind! lol

I think the measure in for the challenge should be every week

youre welcome silkandsand!! Good luck, Cant wait to hear your results!!!
Mony :-P

Old 06-21-2003, 08:26 AM   #219
momof3rlb

Gallery: momof3rlb
TADA! Your name fits this magical experience!!!!!

Old 06-21-2003, 09:03 AM   #220

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Every week Mony?!!!! LOL!! After this measuring (and my very small loss in pounds) I will have to keep myself from measuring daily!! LOL!!!

BTW you'll likely hear from me again in about 2 weeks as I am off to vacation on Monday

Happy CLA and Flax-ing everyone!
Old 06-21-2003, 10:33 AM   #221
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thebookie
Quote:
CLA-Inches Away Challenge
Mony . . . Is this the one you'll be participating in? Didn't see you over there.

Jane
Old 06-21-2003, 10:46 AM   #222
Mony

Hi Jane yes this is the one I am participating in, are you in this one? :-)

hahaha Tada! I KNOW!! LOL - girl I had to stop measuring every couple hours!!! LOLOL

Old 06-21-2003, 11:32 AM   #223
Polar Bear

Gallery: Polar Bear
A Magic Pill?

I have been reading all of the posts about CLA. It sounds to me like it is a magic pill. I have seen claims in various posts that it accelerates fat loss, prevents prostate cancer, reduces the chances of breast cancer, etc.

Call me a skeptic... if CLA is such the wonder drug that people have been saying that it is, then why doesn't the Atkins Center recommend it? If you asked your doctor about it, what would he or she say? Have there been any long-term studies with it? Is this a miracle fat-reducing drug, or is it just a diuretic?

I want everyone to lose weight and live a happier life. Although, I do not people to be fooled into believing that they can cheat on the WOE, not exercise and still have the pounds/inches come off. When things are too good to be true, they usually are...

I am also losing pounds and inches, but I have to earn every pound and every inch that I lose. When I reach my ideal weight, I will not have to rely on a miracle drug to keep me there.

Old 06-21-2003, 11:42 AM   #224
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ImVickieB
WOE: Low Carb My Way
Start Date: Restarted 12/20/2010
I can understand what you are saying Polar Bear, but I think this particular supplement has had a lot of research done on it , and continues to have research done on it. http://www.wisc.edu/fri/clarefs.htm

While these studies are small and could be improved on, there have been some in relationship inch loss in the abdomen area. I suppose water loss is a possibility, but I am not sure that is possible as the majority of inch loss is actually in the abdominal area. How it targets that area, I don't know though.

If you do a search on google, you will find MANY places where the benefits of CLA are discussed, and not just on sites trying to sell the CLA.

I do agree with you on a point though. People need to research what they are adding to their body and make an informed decision.
Old 06-21-2003, 12:07 PM   #225

Gallery:
actually polar bear, in the catalog I just received, they sell both CLA and Essential oils with CLA. It is relatively new.

Old 06-21-2003, 12:12 PM   #226
Senior LCF Member

Now that I think about it, it would appear that CLA is recommended by Atkins as they sell Essential Oils w/ CLA.
Old 06-21-2003, 12:38 PM   #227
Senior LCF Member

I was searching the net for information on the toxcicity level of CLA (doesn't appear to be any) and I found another interesting publication on the National Institue of Health site. You will need to have a PDF reader installed on your machine to read it. If you don't, you can get one at Adobe.com

http://ods.od.nih.gov/news/conferences/cla.pdf

It talks about alot of different issues but the first sections appears to be about weight issues.

This would be a good start for researching if this supplement is for you. Some parts are pretty scientific but there is a lot to be gleened from the other parts.
Old 06-21-2003, 12:56 PM   #228
Senior LCF Member

Hmmmm

Okay the link above was from 5/2002 so perhaps more research has been done on this, but when you read through the document you will see:

Effects of CLA in Obese Subjects on a Weight Loss Diet: Wisconsin Data
Richard L. Atkinson, M.D.

Conculsion based on 2.7 gm of CLA/day.

"We conclude that CLA does not enhance weight loss
or reduce body fat in obese subjects on a weight
loss program, but that it appears to be safe and to
reduce side effects during weight loss over 6 months.
Additional studies are needed in humans with research
designs comparable to the animal studies to determine
if CLA prevents adipose tissue accumulation."

Clinical Studies on Metabolic Effects of Conjugated Linoleic Acid in Humans
B. Vessby, U. Risérus, A. Smedman and S. Basu

"Preliminary results indicate
that CLA may slightly decrease body fat also in humans,
particularly abdominal fat, but there is no simultaneous
improvement of lipid or glucose metabolism.
Rather,
the t10c12 isomer unexpectedly caused significant
impairment of the peripheral insulin sensitivity as well
as of blood glucose and serum lipid levels. In addition,
CLA markedly elevated lipid peroxidation. Thus, the
metabolic effects of CLA in humans seem complex and
further studies, especially of isomer specific effects,
are needed."

Wonder if anyone can find any other research stating to the contrary? Off to search some more...
Old 06-21-2003, 01:05 PM   #229
Senior LCF Member

Another interesting research link from May 2003:

http://www.aocs.org/archives/am2003/...trsession=ana1
Old 06-21-2003, 02:27 PM   #230
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glitter
Quote:
Originally posted by HAPPYLEIGH
Tgarth - Does your bottle of CLA fron GNC say to take one daily? Mine does so I am scared to take 4 of them a day. I took two yesterday but I want to see results so if that means taking 4 then . The CLA will be on sale until the 29th if anyone is interested in getting some or stocking up.
I have been using the GNC brand...started back in Feb and then stopped and just restarted...I took 4 a day, no problems
I don think it will adversely affect you. The bottle I bought today from trader joes suggests one with each meal, and it is the same mgs...
Old 06-21-2003, 07:00 PM   #231
Lissie

Gallery: Lissie
Hi all. I have been RE-inducting on Atkins for 1 1/2 weeks now. This has been an interesting topic!

Someone asked earlier about having an upset stomach after starting CLA. I read on the net today that it's recommended to take CLA with a Protein. ie: milk. or I would think right before you eat some protein. This is supposed to help CLA to work more efficiently and help with tummy upset, which usually goes away within 2 weeks anyway.

Another concern I read was...about brands that don't say Tonalin on the bottle. I bought EAS high Preformance CLA at Wal-mart. It didn't mention Tonalin so I called the 1-877 number thats on the bottle. He told me that their pills are made by Tonalin! That EAS is a certified distributor for them. I was so glad to hear that!

I also bought a bottle from GNC, Optibolic CLA, it has the Tonalin logo on it. so no worries there.

Today is my first day taking them. I can't wait to see how it works!

note: the EAS brand is a smaller pill than Optibolic, but both are still large pills. I'm not good at taking pills, but I have No problem with these. Probably because they're gell pills.

Old 06-22-2003, 12:03 AM   #232
Mony

Re: A Magic Pill?

Quote:
Originally posted by Polar Bear

Call me a skeptic... if CLA is such the wonder drug that people have been saying that it is, then why doesn't the Atkins Center recommend it? If you asked your doctor about it, what would he or she say? Have there been any long-term studies with it? Is this a miracle fat-reducing drug, or is it just a diuretic?

I want everyone to lose weight and live a happier life. Although, I do not people to be fooled into believing that they can cheat on the WOE, not exercise and still have the pounds/inches come off. When things are too good to be true, they usually are...

I am also losing pounds and inches, but I have to earn every pound and every inch that I lose. When I reach my ideal weight, I will not have to rely on a miracle drug to keep me there. [/B]
Why am I not shocked?? there ALWAYS has to be a sour apple in the bunch!
Your comment about Atkins Center not endorsing CLA is absolutely ludicrist and makes me wonder how old you are. CLA does not BELONG to the Atkins Center and NOONE said CLA is low carb - its merely a catalist for inchloss

*if* you had done ANY research of your own you would not have asked so many questions about past studies which makes your comments look foolish. If it was simply a diuretic one would regain the inches within a day or so - not hold steady at their losses and continue to drop from there. And Ummm, I dont see ANY verbage in ANY of the posts that suggest you should quit dieting and exercise and eat all of the garbage you want because CLA will fix that.

You obviously have your own agenda and I really dont feel like wasting my time answering this ridiculous post but since I am the one who initiated the post I will defend it because it DOES WORK, Im living proof and so are many other users, if you had taken the time to actually go through and read all of the comments you wouldve seen that, if you want to call it a miracle pill, hey Im cool with that. As long as it works, I dont care what its called. I LOVE CLA, Ive yet to come across anything so wonderful

Are you jealous because it doesnt work for your body chemistry or do you sell weightloss products that dont compare to CLA??

Everyone who has EVER put forth an effort to lose weight and has succeeded has EARNED it and if CLA can help moves things along then all the more power to US

Have fun doing the 300 sit ups a day that Im sure wont last!!

Old 06-22-2003, 12:31 AM   #233
momof3rlb

POLAR BEAR

Apologies to Polar Bear... I added your name to challenge by mistake. You have been removed. Sorry for the inconvience.
I respect your opinion...there are dozens of supplements, vitamins and minerals and a large variety of diets and it is an individuals' choice what they partake in.

Old 06-22-2003, 01:31 AM   #234
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LemonKitten
Stats: 171/166.5/140
WOE: Low carb (<30)
Start Date: 3rd time lucky?
Tonalin?

Hi all,

I posted this in another thread, but got no replies, so i hope you don't mind me posting it again!

the only CLA I can find in the UK isn't the one you guys are talking about (tonalin)

I found some capsule things in the supermarket today called 'FatManager' - it's a 14 day course, at 2 per day.

Ingredients are:

Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA80%)
Soya Bean oil
Gelatin capsule
Chromium polynicotinate

It says 2 capsules provides:

CLA 1500mg
Chromium 100ug

So am I OK ot take 4 of these? (3000mg CLA)
Old 06-22-2003, 03:15 AM   #235
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Brandy Brat
My 2 Cents

Hello Everyone !! sure looks like this is an exciting group and with GOOD reason.. I read all 11 pages of posts and thought I'd add my 2 cents if no one minds... I began taking CLA friday about 10 am and flaxseed sat . I'm just taking the recommended dose stated on the bottles for now.
Heres my 2 cents:: on the issue of wether or not CLA is a miracle::
In 1965 Dr. Linus Pauling reported his results of the benefits of Vit C.. The medical community scorned him and said C was useless and that people were wasting thier time and money.. If you;d gone to your physician and asked him , evenin up into the early 1990's he still would have said pfft to vit C or any other Vitamins for that matter.. Well Now the medical community has jumped on the Vitamin bandwagon after all these years and those of us who have been vitamin People all along are glad we listened to our own heart or we might not have been alive to finally see the AMA endorce Vit C.. BTW Dr Pauling won a Nobel Prize for his discovery of Vit C and its benefits as well as his information concerning many vitamin therapies.
My 2 cents number 2:: Up until very recently Dr Atkins himself faced nothing but negativity from the medical community - the news - the goverment- and the unknowledgable normal citizen just walking the street.. Yet there are many thousands of folks
living happy productive lives, because they followed his weight lose plan.. But had you asked your physician about the Atkins plan- they'd have said OH NO NO you must just cut calories- eat Low fat and exercise.. So here we are in 2003 - again finally the AMA has given in and accepted the Atkins program and all its many health benefits.
So considering the above two major issues , which are Fact= I myself will not sit and wait until my Physician suggests i take CLA before i begin taking it.. I'm sure as soon as the medical community can find a way to get a kick back and make a profit from CLA as they do from their drug companies they will be handing out a prescription for it every 5 mins
I wish us all the greatest success with our LC'ing and our CLA challenge. May we loose enough inches to circle the earth and then some !!!
Happy Sunday ALL
"You will Manifest into Reality by the direct intensity of the desire of your heart !!"
Brandy
Old 06-22-2003, 04:18 AM   #236
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 194/130/130
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 03/07/03
LemonKitten......I don't want to answer because I can't give you a definete answer maybe someone with more experience can answer that for you. Good Luck
Old 06-22-2003, 05:06 AM   #237
Senior LCF Member

Nikki,

I'm no doctor, but I don't think it would be a problem. I did a search to see if there was a max dose of Chromium polynicotinate
that you should take, and found that the daily recommended allowance of Chromium products is 50-200 mcg. So if you take the product twice a day you will still be within the recocommended daily allowance. (1 mcg/ml (microgram per milliliter) is equal to 1 ug/ml)
Old 06-22-2003, 06:48 AM   #238
MystiMarie

Gallery: MystiMarie
Re: Tonalin?

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonKitten
Hi all,

I posted this in another thread, but got no replies, so i hope you don't mind me posting it again!

the only CLA I can find in the UK isn't the one you guys are talking about (tonalin)

I found some capsule things in the supermarket today called 'FatManager' - it's a 14 day course, at 2 per day.

Ingredients are:

Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA80%)
Soya Bean oil
Gelatin capsule
Chromium polynicotinate

It says 2 capsules provides:

CLA 1500mg
Chromium 100ug

So am I OK ot take 4 of these? (3000mg CLA)
I just saw your post for the first time.
I am taking the Chromium also at 200 mgs a day but some take more than that.
I dont see anything wrong with taking 4 of those. The only thing I can not answer to is the soy product. I dont take any of that.
I have had some major problems with hyopo glycemia, and it goes as far as affecting my vision. But with taking those supliments, my vision has improved greatly.
Weight loss is a great thing, but the vision improvement and the blood sugar balance is awesome. I am sold on these products as they have helped so much.
The other thing is to check where the source of CLA is coming from. Most say it should be safflower seeds or oil and not sunflower.
Another idea for you is if you want the CLA alone is to order from online from one of the places the other members here have listed in the threads.
Best of luck to you.

Last edited by MystiMarie; 06-22-2003 at 06:50 AM..

Old 06-22-2003, 08:02 AM   #239
momof3rlb

That is what I would do if I were you but that is a personal opinion...use what is available...can you mail order or order on-line and have it delivered? Several here use Trader Joes and the vitamin shoppe!!

Old 06-22-2003, 08:46 AM   #240
Lissie

Gallery: Lissie
I posted asking about CLA at another, non-atkins, board I post on. Basically posted what CLA is and the benefits and that I have heard good things about it. I wondered if anyone else took it or had heard of it. This is the response I got, and others similar saying I shouldn't use it. I have no idea how to respond to these post.

start of quote.."I only looked at studies reported at sites that did not have
a conflict of interest. That is, if they SOLD the stuff, I
didn't read what they said. Kinda like asking an umbrella
salesman for a weather report, don't you think?
Here are some comments from the USDA, ARS, and other non-CLA
selling organizations:

The metabolic results from this study suggest small amounts of
dietary CLA in human diets would have little positive or negative
health or nutritional effect. USDA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
But the ARS (Agricultural Research Magazine) study on humans,
conducted by Kelley and other scientists with the agency's
Western Human Nutrition Research Center and from the University
of California at DaviS, didn't reveal any significant, positive
benefits of CLA supplements. More than a dozen scientists
collaborated in the investigation, which was initiated by Kelley
and former ARS chemist Gary D. Nelson, now retired and a
collaborator at the center. Nelson says the experiment was the
first detailed human study with CLA.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
During the course of investigations into its effect on fat, CLA was
found to act somewhat similarly to some oral medications used for
diabetes. This led to research into the possible usefulness of CLA
as a treatment for diabetes. In one study, CLA reduced blood sugar
levels in diabetic rats as effectively as a standard diabetes
treatment. The same researchers also performed a small,
double-blind, placebo-controlled trial in humans. The results
showed that CLA improved insulin responsiveness in people with
type 2 (adult onset) diabetes. However, another double-blind,
placebo-controlled study unexpectly found harmful effects. At
present, therefore, individuals with diabetes should not use CLA
except under physician supervision.

Some animal and test tube studies suggest that CLA might help
prevent cancer, but the evidence is preliminary and inconsistent.

A small double-blind trial found weak evidence that CLA might be
useful for high cholesterol.

Maximum safe dosages of CLA for young children, pregnant women,
or those with severe liver or kidney disease have not been determined.

In addition, as noted above, there are concerns that CLA could
actual worsen blood sugar control under certain conditions.14

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Studies with CLA have shown conflicting results. Some studies
show CLA could lead to weight loss, while another recently
published study indicates CLA may cause oxidative stress.
CLA supplementation increases oxidative stress and inflammatory
biomarkers in obese men. The oxidative stress seems closely related
to induced insulin resistance, suggesting a link between the fatty
acid-induced lipid peroxidation seen in the present study and
insulin resistance. These unfavorable effects of t10c12 CLA might be
of clinical importance with regard to cardiovascular disease, in
consideration of the widespread use of dietary supplements
containing this fatty acid.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

My feeling? As long as I can lose weight and get fit with
proper diet and exercise, I'm not putting something in my body
that might not work and that might have unfavorable side effects.

There have been far too many positive studies on things like
Fen Phen that are LATER found to have long lasting, dangerous
side effects. Until my DOCTOR adds something to the list of
suppliments I should be taking, I'll stick to the multi vitamin
and extra calcium he recommended last month."""" end of Quote.

the above isn't what *I* feel. I'm still undecided. I want to learn more about any adverse effects first I think.

Last edited by Lissie; 06-22-2003 at 03:11 PM..