Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2014, 10:45 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DressageLover
Stats: 222/168/150, 5'10"
WOE: VLC, A72
Start Date: 1/29/99
Is anyone doing Whole30?

Despite eating VLC the vast majority of the time, my weight has crept up. I gain every time I drink wine and it's SO FRUSTRATING! My clothes are tight and I don't like the way I feel.
I've been doing a lot of reading about the Whole 30 program and I'm going to do it. I put my scale away and am committing to eating only meat, eggs, and vegetables for the next 30 days. No dairy, no artificial sweeteners, and no wine. I will stop tracking in the online tracking tool and just eat nutritious food respectfully and set my sights on improved health and well-being.
Technically you can have nuts and fruit on this program, but I'll steer clear of those as well.
Has anyone done this with good results? Does anyone want to do this with me?
I'd like to post menus for accountability.
I'll post info on the program below.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2014, 10:45 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

What is the Whole30®?

Certain food groups (like sugar, grains, dairy and legumes) could be having a negative impact on your health and fitness without you even realizing it. Are your energy levels inconsistent or non-existent? Do you have aches and pains that can’t be explained by over-use or injury? Are you having a hard time losing weight no matter how hard you try? Do you have some sort of condition (like skin issues, digestive ailments, seasonal allergies or fertility issues) that medication hasn’t helped? These symptoms may be directly related to the foods you eat – even the “healthy” stuff. So how do you know if (and how) these foods are affecting you?

Strip them from your diet completely. Cut out all the psychologically unhealthy, hormone-unbalancing, gut-disrupting, inflammatory food groups for a full 30 days. Let your body heal and recover from whatever effects those foods may be causing. Push the “reset” button with your metabolism, systemic inflammation, and the downstream effects of the food choices you’ve been making. Learn once and for all how the foods you’ve been eating are actually affecting your day to day life, and your long term health. The most important reason to keep reading?

This will change your life.

We cannot possibly put enough emphasis on this simple fact—the next 30 days will change your life. It will change the way you think about food, it will change your tastes, it will change your habits and your cravings. It could, quite possibly, change the emotional relationship you have with food, and with your body. It has the potential to change the way you eat for the rest of your life. We know this because we did it, and tens of thousands of people have done it since, and it changed our lives (and their lives) in a very permanent fashion. (Need convincing? Just read some of our stunning testimonials.)

The Whole30 Program Rules

Yes: Eat real food.

Eat meat, seafood, eggs, tons of vegetables, some fruit, and plenty of good fats from fruits, oils, nuts and seeds. Eat foods with very few ingredients, all pronounceable ingredients, or better yet, no ingredients listed at all because they’re totally natural and unprocessed. Don’t worry… these guidelines are outlined in extensive detail in our free shopping list.

No: Avoid for 30 days.

More importantly, here’s what NOT to eat during the duration of your Whole30 program. Omitting all of these foods and beverages will help you regain your healthy metabolism, reduce systemic inflammation, and help you discover how these foods are truly impacting your health, fitness and quality of life.
•Do not consume added sugar of any kind, real or artificial. No maple syrup, honey, agave nectar, coconut sugar, Splenda, Equal, Nutrasweet, xylitol, stevia, etc. Read your labels, because companies sneak sugar into products in ways you might not recognize.
•Do not consume alcohol in any form, not even for cooking. (And it should go without saying, but no tobacco products of any sort, either.)
•Do not eat grains. This includes (but is not limited to) wheat, rye, barley, oats, corn, rice, millet, bulgur, sorghum, amaranth, buckwheat, sprouted grains and all of those gluten-free pseudo-grains like quinoa. This also includes all the ways we add wheat, corn and rice into our foods in the form of bran, germ, starch and so on. Again, read your labels.
•Do not eat legumes. This includes beans of all kinds (black, red, pinto, navy, white, kidney, lima, fava, etc.), peas, chickpeas, lentils, and peanuts. No peanut butter, either. This also includes all forms of soy – soy sauce, miso, tofu, tempeh, edamame, and all the ways we sneak soy into foods (like lecithin).
•Do not eat dairy. This includes cow, goat or sheep’s milk products such as cream, cheese (hard or soft), kefir, yogurt (even Greek), and sour cream… with the exception of clarified butter or ghee. (See below for details.)
•Do not eat white potatoes. This is somewhat arbitrary, but if we are trying to change your habits (chips and fries) and improve the hormonal impact of your food choices, it’s best to leave white, red, purple, Yukon gold, and fingerling potatoes off your plate.
•Do not consume carrageenan, MSG or sulfites. If these ingredients appear in any form on the label of your processed food or beverage, it’s out for the Whole30.
•No Paleo-ifying baked goods, desserts, or junk foods. Trying to shove your old, unhealthy diet into a shiny new Whole30 mold will ruin your program faster than you can say “Paleo Pop-Tarts.” This means no desserts or junk food made with “approved” ingredients—no banana-egg pancakes, almond-flour muffins, flourless brownies, or coconut milk ice cream. Don’t try to replicate junk food during your 30 days! That misses the point of the Whole30 entirely.

One last and final rule: You are not allowed to step on the scale or take any body measurements for the duration of the program. This is about so much more than just weight loss, and to focus on your body composition means you’ll miss out on the most dramatic and lifelong benefits this plan has to offer. So, no weighing yourself, analyzing body fat or taking comparative measurements during your Whole30. (We do encourage you to weigh yourself before and after, however, so you can see one of the more tangible results of your efforts when your program is over.)

The Fine Print

These foods are exceptions to the rule, and are allowed during your Whole30.
•Clarified Butter or Ghee. Clarified butter or ghee is the only source of dairy allowed during your Whole30. Plain old butter is NOT allowed, as the milk proteins found in non-clarified butter could impact the results of your program. Refer to our Butter Manifesto for more details on the milk proteins found in butter, purchasing high quality butter, and how to clarify it yourself.
•Fruit juice as a sweetener. Some products will use orange or apple juice as a sweetener. We have to draw the line somewhere, so we’re okay with a small amount of fruit juice as an added ingredient during your Whole30… but this doesn’t mean a cup of fruit juice is a healthy choice! Refer to your Shopping Guide for clarification.
•Certain legumes. We’re fine with green beans, sugar snap peas and snow peas. While they’re technically a legume, these are far more “pod” than “bean,” and green plant matter is generally good for you.
•Vinegar. Most forms of vinegar, including white, balsamic, apple cider, red wine, and rice, are allowed during your Whole30 program. The only exceptions are vinegars with added sugar, or malt vinegar, which generally contains gluten.

Give Us Thirty Days

Your only job during the Whole30 is to focus on making good food choices. You don’t need to weigh or measure, you don’t need to count calories, you don’t need to stress about organic, grass-fed, pastured or free range. Just figure out how to stick to the Whole30 in any setting, around every special circumstance, under any amount of stress… for 30 straight days. Your only job? Eat. Good. Food.

The only way this will work is if you give it the full thirty days: no cheats, slips, or “special occasions.” This isn’t us playing the tough guy. This is a fact, born of education and experience. You need such a small amount of any of these inflammatory foods to break the healing cycle—one bite of pizza, one splash of milk in your coffee, one lick of the spoon mixing the batter within the 30 day period and you’ve broken the “reset” button, requiring you to start over again on Day 1.

You must commit to the full program, exactly as written. Anything less and we make no claims as to your results, or the chances of your success. Anything less and you are selling yourself—and your potential results—short.

It’s only 30 days.

It’s For Your Own Good

Here comes the tough love. This is for those of you who are considering taking on this life-changing month, but aren’t sure you can actually pull it off, cheat free, for a full 30 days. This is for the people who have tried this before, but who “slipped” or “fell off the wagon” or “just HAD to eat (fill in food here) because of this (fill in event here).” This is for you.
•It is not hard. Don’t you dare tell us this is hard. Beating cancer is hard. Birthing a baby is hard. Losing a parent is hard. Drinking your coffee black. Is. Not. Hard. You’ve done harder things than this, and you have no excuse not to complete the program as written. It’s only thirty days, and it’s for the most important health cause on earth – the only physical body you will ever have in this lifetime.
•Don’t even consider the possibility of a “slip.” Unless you physically tripped and your face landed in a box of doughnuts, there is no “slip.” You make a choice to eat something unhealthy. It is always a choice, so do not phrase it as if you had an accident. Commit to the program 100% for the full 30 days. Don’t give yourself an excuse to fail before you’ve even started.
•You never, ever, ever have to eat anything you don’t want to eat. You’re all big boys and girls. Toughen up. Learn to say no (or make your mom proud and say, “No, thank you”). Learn to stick up for yourself. Just because it’s your sister’s birthday, or your best friend’s wedding, or your company picnic does not mean you have to eat anything. It’s always a choice, and we would hope that you stopped succumbing to peer pressure in 7th grade.
•This does require a bit of effort. Grocery shopping, meal planning, dining out, explaining the program to friends and family, and dealing with stress will all prove challenging at some point during your program. We’ve given you all the tools, guidelines and resources you’ll need, but take responsibility for your own plan. Improved health, fitness, and quality of life doesn’t happen automatically just because you’re now taking a pass on bread.
•You can do this. You’ve come too far to back out now. You want to do this. You need to do this. And we believe that you can do this. So stop thinking about it, and start doing. Right now, this very minute, tell someone that you are starting the Whole30.

In Conclusion…

We want you to participate. We want you to take this seriously, and see amazing results in unexpected areas. Even if you don’t believe this will actually change your life, if you’re willing to give it 30 short days, do it. It is that important. We believe in it that much. It changed our lives, and we want it to change yours too.

Welcome to the Whole30.
DressageLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:19 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
I have a friend who did it a few years ago and did great with it. She's paleo and has kept her weight off (through a pregnancy) and feels great.

I personally do almost all those things to begin with. I do dairy and I do alcohol on weekends and special occasions, I follow everything else on the list already.

Good luck-would love to hear how it works out!!
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:30 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rachel2writer
Stats: 260/252/175
WOE: Low carb my own way
Start Date: 3/17/14
I started a Whole 30 a few weeks ago, and followed it religiously for 8 whole days. Then I wanted a glass of wine. Oops! Anyhow, I felt great the first 2 days, miserable the next 4, and then really awesome days 7 and 8. I eat almost Whole 30 compliant regularly anyhow, so it's just a few tweaks to attempt again. I highly recommend it for anyone with health issues.
rachel2writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:43 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JohnAndHisCat
WOE: General low-carb, bit of a Ketogenic focus
Start Date: February 2014
Sounds like a good idea, and is not all that different from what I do, but I could never drink just black coffee in the morning. I need my breve latte.

Last edited by JohnAndHisCat; 04-30-2014 at 12:44 PM..
JohnAndHisCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:18 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/184.8/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageLover View Post
Despite eating VLC the vast majority of the time, my weight has crept up. I gain every time I drink wine and it's SO FRUSTRATING! My clothes are tight and I don't like the way I feel.
I've been doing a lot of reading about the Whole 30 program and I'm going to do it. I put my scale away and am committing to eating only meat, eggs, and vegetables for the next 30 days. No dairy, no artificial sweeteners, and no wine. I will stop tracking in the online tracking tool and just eat nutritious food respectfully and set my sights on improved health and well-being.
Technically you can have nuts and fruit on this program, but I'll steer clear of those as well.
Has anyone done this with good results? Does anyone want to do this with me?
I'd like to post menus for accountability.
I'll post info on the program below.
Hi! I would love to do this. I did this whole 30 once: I was already on lowcarb and in an alcohol quit, so I was really giving up dairy and nuts. But I interpreted dairy to mean butter too, so I cut that out as well. Then I didn't eat mayo, because it had industrial oils in it. And I didn't eat bacon because of the nitrates. SO: my diet was rather lowfat, which meant that I ended up losing a pound a day. A POUND a day!! I lost weight so fast it amazed me. I used coconut oil/coconut cream/truvia in my coffee, had hardboiled eggs for breakfast (because no butter to cook them in!) ate lettuce sandwiches with deli meat + mustard, lots of soups/tomato based ground beef: it was a very simple diet, but VERY effective.

I found that in the afternoons I craved fruit. Just crazy-craved it, so I allowed myself 1/2-1 piece of fruit each late afternoon, and THAT felt decadent. It became like a meditation: "and now I will do nothing but close my eyes and eat this heavenly piece of fruit." LOL!

Last edited by moonmirror; 04-30-2014 at 01:19 PM..
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:50 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
I've been flirting with the idea. Just not ready to commit...yet. You should check out Mellissa on I Breathe, I'm Hungry. She's done it more than once and came up with some Whole30 compliant recipes.

I did get the book It Starts With Food. After I read that I'll see how I feel about doing it. But, good luck!!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:58 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Yes! I just finished my first whole30. After 12 years of low carbing, weight was creeping back on. I could lose if with a meat & eggs fast, but I felt like I was relying too much on that. And on cheese, and heavy cream. And a nightly drink.

The whole30 was great. I did a fairly low carb one-- minimal starches and fruits, but unlimited non-starchy veggies. I used lots of onions, carrots, squash and other veggies I love but had been avoiding on regular low carb. I had half a sweet potato every few days.

I lost 4 lbs (wanted to lose 7), slept much better, and look about 10 lbs lighter.

I put coconut cream in coffee and now it tastes great. I never thought I could manage without heavy cream. I ate lots of ghee instead of butter, and avocados instead of cheese. The hardest part was going to parties. I drank a lot of lime Perrier.

I'm really glad i did it and I'll continue for a while longer. It was a great re-set.

Last edited by tiva; 05-01-2014 at 07:03 PM..
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:00 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiva View Post
Yes! I just finished my first whole30. After 12 years of low carbing, weight was creeping back on. I could lose if with a meat & eggs fast, but I felt like I was relying too much on that. And on cheese, and heavy cream. And a nightly drink.

The whole30 was great. I did a fairly low carb one-- minimal starches and fruits, but unlimited non-starchy veggies. I used lots of onions, carrots, squash and other veggies I love but had been avoiding on regular low carb. I had half a sweet potato every few days.

I lost 4 lbs (wanted to lose 7), slept much better, and look about 10 lbs lighter.

I put coconut cream in coffee and now it tastes great. I never thought I could manage without heavy cream. I ate lots of ghee instead of butter, and avocados instead of cheese. The hardest part was going to parties. I drank a lot of lime Perrier.

I'm really glad i did it and I'll continue for a while longer. It was a great re-set.
This is SO what I wanted to hear. I've been low carbing for over 15 years now and I'm really hoping this will make a difference for me. I've been nervously enjoying the increase in veggies and some baby carrots here or there hoping the carb increase doesn't come back to bite me. I plan to continue to avoid nuts and fruit, so my version of Whole30 is probably more strict than most. However, I've been continuing to use regular Best Foods mayo because I really don't want to make my own. My gut feeling is that will be just fine, but I'm pretty sure the Whole30 people would give me a hard time about it.

I'm kind of at a loss for how to manage the 3 meals and no snacking. I get up at 5am and my stomach is growling like crazy by 6am. If I eat during the 6am hour, I'm hungry again at 10am, and then again at 2pm, and then again at 6pm. That's 4 meals. I ride my horse around 7am and go straight from there to work at 9am, so there's not an opportunity to cook breakfast at that time. Today I had two eggs at 6:45am and then at 9:30 had some egg salad with lettuce that I brought to work. My lunch will be leftover grilled chicken thighs and celery, so hopefully my overall calories for the day will be reasonable.

I can't wait for my pants to feel looser!
I've been a daily weigher for 15 years, so taking a break from the scale is a very interesting component of this as well. It puts the focus on health and reduces the temptation to tweak or sabotage based on the number of the day. (By sabotage I mean "Oh look, I've lost 5 pounds, surely it would be ok if I have a glass of wine tonight.")

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 05-02-2014, 05:10 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

It is fine to have an extra small meal, just so you follow the template.

Have you tried homemade mayo? I was amazed by how easy it is (30 sec tops) and how much better. I make mine with 1T of rustic mustard, 1 whole egg, 5 cloves garlic, some chili pepper, half a lemon, and 1 cup light olive oil (extra virgin tastes bitter in mayo). It is incredibly good. I have to fight my husband for some.

Good luck. I found the strictness annoying at first bit surprisingly freeing. I'm sticking to it for a few more weeks.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:11 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Hey Dressage, don't know where you are, but I found a mayo called Sir Kennsington that is just the basics. I didn't want to make my own either! I found it at Whole Foods.

I did start the book, I think my daughter and I will probably be taking the plunge too.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:11 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: 30 day whole food challenge
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
I'll give it a try. Is anyone buying the $15 email newsletter their site is offering?

It doesn't seem too hard to transition from mostly no-sugar/no-starch to that...it must be more difficult for people who are giving up everything at once.

I do find their 'tough love' condescending - there are real, practical reasons why this sort of thing can be hard that have nothing to do with what type of food one likes to eat - but that's also ignorable.
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:17 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avicenna View Post
I'll give it a try. Is anyone buying the $15 email newsletter their site is offering?

It doesn't seem too hard to transition from mostly no-sugar/no-starch to that...it must be more difficult for people who are giving up everything at once.

I do find their 'tough love' condescending - there are real, practical reasons why this sort of thing can be hard that have nothing to do with what type of food one likes to eat - but that's also ignorable.
I agree with the tough love approach, Avicenna. It came across as blamey to me.

I saw a little blurb on the news today that the Whole30 is the "latest new diet fad." Really? Seems to me it's been around for a while.
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:48 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

I didn't buy the newsletter--seems like a waste of $ to me. I also didn't much like their tone, but a lot of the advice was helpful.

What really surprised me was:
a. How many processed foods have canola oil, or soy, or sugar. Yek.
b. How much better the things I made turned out to be. And how easy.
c. How much easier it was to follow strict rules than to practice moderation.

I'm continuing for another month, because it turns out I like eating as many veggies as I can swallow, and I like the freedom to have an occassional sweet potato. I'm glad I didn't the program as written, because I quickly lost all cravings for sweets, dairy, treats, and alcohol (surprising, given that I've had a nightly drink for many years).

So here are the rules I followed:
-no preservatives, which cut out a massive quantity of stuff
-no soy or any form of sugar or artificial sweetener
-no legumes, or grains, or seed oils such as canola (I never ate this stuff anyway)
-no alcohol and no dairy except ghee (which I made weekly--yummy!)

I also followed the meal template: a palmful of protein, a plate full of veggies, and a thumb-sized chunk of fat at each meal; no snacking when possible; nuts and fruits only as condiments with a full meal (I mostly didn't eat any fruit; it's not berry season)

Meal prep didn't take very long. In the fridge, I kept:
a. cooked protein (on the weekends, I would grill or poach or bake a lot of grass-fed burger, organic chicken thighs, and occassionally other stuff), or eggs ready to be quickly scrambled
b. roasted or steamed veggies or thawed frozen veggies and prepared raw veggies
c. 3 yummy sauces: aioli, chimichurri (a parsley pesto), and tahini sauce
Each meal was some combo of all 3. I took a couple hours on weekend to shop, wash, and prepare the week's food and get it into the fridge. Then, each meal took just a couple minutes to do last minute prep, either in a saute pan with some coconut oil or ghee, or just in the microwave. Very simple and fuss-free.

This was the end of the year in my university, and usually I cave in with all the faculty parties, receptions, committee meetings--each of which comes with brownies, cookies, and other crap. But this year, I either ate the raw veggies set out and drank perrier, or else I just drank water. I wasn't tempted at all, which is very rare for me.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:44 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Tiva, your experience with this is so encouraging.
I'm on day 6 now and I'm really enjoying it. It has reduced my stress tremendously. I've been angry, chronically hungry, frustrated, and scale-obsessed, gaining and losing the same 10 pounds over and over again. Putting the scale away and focusing on eating healthy foods and seeing how they impact me is such a gift. Last night I finally got a good night's sleep and today my appetite mellowed out. I just ate a salad topped with a sliced strawberry and a handful of baby carrots and it tasted like heaven.
Today's menu:
B: leftover pork ribs, scrambled eggs, and celery
L: meat loaf and salad
D: short ribs with veggies and salad

Last edited by DressageLover; 05-05-2014 at 06:46 PM..
Old 05-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Hi DressageLover--I think I just read your post over on the whole30 group. I hope your initial bloating has gone down, and I hope you continue to feel good. Your description above fit me perfectly--scale obsessed, stressed, frustrated with weight gain and then starving myself of all veggies to lose the weight. I'm also really glad that I learned I can completely cut out alcohol and not miss it for now.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:23 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Well it's day 9 for me and I'm hanging in there. I'm still bloated and swollen, but I'm hoping that this will pass. I tried to make homemade mayo, but it was an epic fail. It turned out way too thin and the separated in the fridge. I did it in my blender and I'm not sure what went wrong, so I'll just skip it for now.
Aside from all of that, I'm really enjoying this WOE. I find myself sitting down and enjoying a healthy meal of meat and vegetables and eating until I'm full. That is such a nice feeling vs. the constant head game and frustration of constantly counting calories and pushing myself to eat less and less. Even with the increase in carbs, and swelling, I'm not having cravings - and I think that's a good sign.
If this works for me, and I can just stick with it and eventually reach a healthy weight and balance, it will be the answer to my prayers. I am so sick of the struggle.
And I don't miss my scale!
Old 05-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Glad it's mostly working out for you!

I tried the mayo recipe linked from their forum and it didn't work out for me either, although having made it before I might try a different way sometime.

I'm only Day 7, and so far I have been happy with the results (although that is also, in its own way, depressing, because it means that probably one of the foods I gave up was causing problems). I also felt that I did lose some weight although eating a large amount of fruits (I did not find the part of the website which actually advocates limiting them, so I didn't). I am finding the food choices somewhat limited so I am looking forward to having more choices at the end of 30 days, but for now it is ok.

I did end up going off plan today (I thought it was the best decision at the time) but I decided just to keep going as if nothing happened even if it skews the results.

Last edited by Avicenna; 05-10-2014 at 09:16 AM..
Old 05-15-2014, 07:01 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

I have gained weight like crazy doing this. I thought I could do this...follow the rules as defined...and it would be ok. It seems like I just can't handle higher carb veggies or even tiny amounts of fruit. My body has freaked out and I'm too fat for all of my clothes now. I'm going to continue eating a clean whole 30, but stick with LC veggies. Bummer.

I am so sad and frustrated. I'm tired of struggling and tired of being fat.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:06 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

You're not fat! At 5'10"and 163, you are anything but fat! I really don't think you've gained weight like crazy--just temporary water gain--and I think if you embrace a wide range of veggies, your body will adjust. Butternut squash, pumpkin, carrots, beets, onions--Atkins urged us to include them over the long haul, and I so much want to find a way to eat that allows lots of them. Good luck.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:25 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

I'm not 163 anymore. Probably nearly 10 pounds over that at this point.
Need to update my stats.

You've been great, Tiva. Thank you.
I'm trying not to panic and will take this one day at a time.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:50 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Wow, 10 pounds in 2 weeks - that's crazy! Maybe it's just water. Do you think you might be sensitive/allergic to one of the foods you added in?
Old 05-16-2014, 11:29 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

On my side...I have found the programme difficult because it is not the most feasible programme given my own current location and circumstances, which means that it requires a lot of effort on my part to get only compliant food (and a lot of eggs).

I have been wondering if there is any advantage to doing this over Atkins induction - most of the testimonials I looked at sounded similar to what people say after going through Atkins induction. Apart from the fact that this is essentially an elimination diet (no soy, dairy, grains, sugar, chemicals, peanuts), so if someone has a bad reaction to something, they will find out - but many people here see aware of their own food sensitivities and cognizant of these things regardless.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:29 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Avicenna, I think one big difference is the emphasis on eating 3 full plates of vegetables each day, and a serving of fruit if one wishes. The second big difference is eliminating soy, canola, and preservatives and additives (Atkins did recommend, but not require, this). The third big difference is zero counting--you are free to eat as many carrots, beets, onions, and other vegetables without worrying about carb totals. So a Whole30 could theoretically look very much like an Atkins induction, but the two could also look very different.

Dressagelover, I hope your bloating is decreasing. The timeline for Whole30 says to expect a lot of bloating well into the second week because of the increase in veggies over a standard American diet. If you've been eating very few veggies over the past decade, it might make sense to expect a longer bloating period.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:40 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

I understand there are differences. What I meant was, the Whole30 testimonials sounded more or less like what people say after going on Atkins (more energy, clearer skin, nail and hair growth, weight loss, more compact shape).

I still didn't find the part of the site that limits the amount of fruit in Whole30... but I'm willing to take it on faith that they do limit it somewhere.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:52 AM   #26
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Avi I read a blog, and I don't recall her name, maybe Carolyn something (I just googled whole30 carolyn and didn't see it) but when she did whole30, she said she had to limit fruit and never ate it alone, it was always with or after a meal.
She said she tried eating fruit as a snack but it always made her feel really bloated, tired and awful.
She mentioned she could eat peaches, berries (but not blackberries), watermelon and honeydew, but not cantaloupe.
It was a pretty detailed list of her symptoms from certain fruits.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:46 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avicenna View Post
I understand there are differences. What I meant was, the Whole30 testimonials sounded more or less like what people say after going on Atkins (more energy, clearer skin, nail and hair growth, weight loss, more compact shape). ..
I agree! I bet many of the testimonials are simply from limiting all the grains and sugars that we also limit in Atkins.

For fruit: if you look at the meal template for Whole30 (google template whole30), it says meals should include 1-2 palm-sized servings of protein, then "fill the rest of your plate with vegetables", add fat to each meal, and finally "occasionally add a serving of fruit". On the forums, people discuss interpreting that as up to one piece a day, always with meals.

Dressagelover, I hope your bloat and water weight is beginning to lessen! I think we get very sensitive when we reintroduce large amounts of anything that we've limited for a long time, until digestive enzymes have a chance to adjust.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:34 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

It is day 21 for me and I think I have stopped gaining weight, so that's a positive! I stopped eating carrots. I love them, but if/when my body gets in the swing of being ok with this, I'll slowly try to add them in. For now, I'm eating lower carb veggies with my meals and topping my big salad at night with a few berries as a treat.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

That's great! After 50 days (with a couple breaks in the 5th week for a drink and chocolate), I'm now easing back into LCHF, with mostly paleo choices. I realized I prefer more fat, lower carb veggies (but lots of them), and less protein over the long run. I also realized from Whole30 that I really like abstaining from cheese and alcohol and fake foods.

So I'll aim for 50-60 grams of protein a day (a little less than Whole30); 30-40 net grams of carbs from veggies (which equates to about a full plate of lower-carb above-ground vegetables at each meal); 100 to 120 grams of fat. I'm adding back in heavy cream in my coffee, but not cheese, alcohol, or preservatives and artificial sweeteners. A few berries and a few nuts on occasion. My scale seems to be broken (even with a new battery it always reads at 0), so I'll track by trying on my skinny jeans.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:00 PM   #30
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
The amazon kindle store has a lot of free paleo books today.
I happened across it by chance looking for recipe books.
Just go to the kindle book part and search for paleo, the sort by price from low to high and all the free ones are first.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote