Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Paleolithic & Neanderthin (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/)
-   -   Newbie...just a few questions please... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/821621-newbie-just-few-questions-please.html)

Bigblue 01-26-2014 10:51 AM

Newbie...just a few questions please...

Hello,
So I am thinking about starting the Paleo woe tomorrow....I have read the 30 day thread and look forward to trying it...however, I have a few questions...

Can i have for breakfast:
1) egg omelets with broccoli, peppers and onion and grilled chicken or grilled salmon? can i put some olive oil in?
if yes, am I better off eating 4 or 5 egg whites and 1 whole egg...or 3 whole eggs?

can I cook with Pam?
Is there anything you think I should be putting in my omelet? Is this good to eat for 30 days straight (no worries about me getting bored with it - i'm fine)....

for lunch...am I okay having a half a bag of fresh express romaine salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar with either grilled chicken or Salmon? if yes, do i need to limit the amount of olive oil or balsamic vinegar? I know the viegar has like 2grams of carbs per tablespoon...

Dinner...am I okay with having ribeye steaks? again any limit to sixe? can i use a dry rub on it? or any other recommended marinade? fish with lemons?

any other suggestions..I need to keep real straightforward and simple...

another last questiuon...should I start tomorrow? or should I start the Monday after the Superbowl..I know I am going to be eating wings, sausage and brats and have to (sorry, but its my day) eat some bread...should I wait till after this or should i start tomorrow and get a week under my belt?? Thanks

morwilwarin 01-26-2014 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigblue (Post 16773986)
Hello,
So I am thinking about starting the Paleo woe tomorrow....I have read the 30 day thread and look forward to trying it...however, I have a few questions...

Can i have for breakfast:
1) egg omelets with broccoli, peppers and onion and grilled chicken or grilled salmon? can i put some olive oil in?
if yes, am I better off eating 4 or 5 egg whites and 1 whole egg...or 3 whole eggs?

can I cook with Pam?
Is there anything you think I should be putting in my omelet? Is this good to eat for 30 days straight (no worries about me getting bored with it - i'm fine)....

for lunch...am I okay having a half a bag of fresh express romaine salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar with either grilled chicken or Salmon? if yes, do i need to limit the amount of olive oil or balsamic vinegar? I know the viegar has like 2grams of carbs per tablespoon...

Dinner...am I okay with having ribeye steaks? again any limit to sixe? can i use a dry rub on it? or any other recommended marinade? fish with lemons?

any other suggestions..I need to keep real straightforward and simple...

another last questiuon...should I start tomorrow? or should I start the Monday after the Superbowl..I know I am going to be eating wings, sausage and brats and have to (sorry, but its my day) eat some bread...should I wait till after this or should i start tomorrow and get a week under my belt?? Thanks

Hello!! Starting Paleo can be tough as at first it seems impossible to figure things out you can have! To answer your questions:

1) You will find Omelets are a staple of your diet (or any egg dish). Omelets can be made with any Paleo approved veggies and meat. Your recipe sounds perfect!

2) Do NOT use pam. It is not natural and they usually put other things in it. I use butter, bacon grease, or very little olive oil. Something I found VERY helpful is a spritzer that Pampered Chef sells (I'm sure you can find similar items elsewhere) that you can fill with your own oil. This way, I can fill it with just olive oil and it ensures my oil spray is pure and not contaminated with additives.

3) Your lunch sounds fine. I would limit your use of olive oil and vinegar. A recipe I like for dressing is: 1 whole very ripe avocado, 1/2 cup canned coconut milk, juice from 1 whole lemon, 1 clove garlic finely minced, salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon chives. Mash the avocado, mix with everything else in a shaker and shake! This should last a few salads and is DELICIOUS!!!

4) Dinner sounds good. No real size limits, although I wouldn't go over board. I usually stick between 4oz and 6oz of meat and fill up more so on veggies (roasted brussel sprouts or broccoli go well!!!!). Any dry rub will do, as long as it doesn't have any sugar.

For any beginner, I would highly recommend the book Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo. Many wonderful recipes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, plus sides, desserts, and dressings. I haven't found a recipe in that book that I haven't loved. Pumpkin Pancakes are FANTASTIC!!!!!

Also - start tomorrow!! Everyone has one day here or there that they cheat. Superbowl will just be that day for you :) Just remember, do not get discouraged the next day when you see the scale go up. It's only temporary!!! I have at least one cheat day a month and I'm doing great! Sometimes, you need these days to keep you sane!!

Good luck!!!

Bigblue 01-26-2014 04:21 PM

Thanks for the great feedback......tell me one things should I do whole eggs or egg whites...and btw, i wont see the bump on the scale numbers next Monday - Im not getting on a scale for another month!!!!
Lol. Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by morwilwarin (Post 16774304)
Hello!! Starting Paleo can be tough as at first it seems impossible to figure things out you can have! To answer your questions:

1) You will find Omelets are a staple of your diet (or any egg dish). Omelets can be made with any Paleo approved veggies and meat. Your recipe sounds perfect!

2) Do NOT use pam. It is not natural and they usually put other things in it. I use butter, bacon grease, or very little olive oil. Something I found VERY helpful is a spritzer that Pampered Chef sells (I'm sure you can find similar items elsewhere) that you can fill with your own oil. This way, I can fill it with just olive oil and it ensures my oil spray is pure and not contaminated with additives.

3) Your lunch sounds fine. I would limit your use of olive oil and vinegar. A recipe I like for dressing is: 1 whole very ripe avocado, 1/2 cup canned coconut milk, juice from 1 whole lemon, 1 clove garlic finely minced, salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon chives. Mash the avocado, mix with everything else in a shaker and shake! This should last a few salads and is DELICIOUS!!!

4) Dinner sounds good. No real size limits, although I wouldn't go over board. I usually stick between 4oz and 6oz of meat and fill up more so on veggies (roasted brussel sprouts or broccoli go well!!!!). Any dry rub will do, as long as it doesn't have any sugar.

For any beginner, I would highly recommend the book Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo. Many wonderful recipes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, plus sides, desserts, and dressings. I haven't found a recipe in that book that I haven't loved. Pumpkin Pancakes are FANTASTIC!!!!!

Also - start tomorrow!! Everyone has one day here or there that they cheat. Superbowl will just be that day for you :) Just remember, do not get discouraged the next day when you see the scale go up. It's only temporary!!! I have at least one cheat day a month and I'm doing great! Sometimes, you need these days to keep you sane!!

Good luck!!!

morwilwarin 01-26-2014 05:59 PM

I think it's personal preference about the eggs. If you're one of those people concerned about cholesterol, then egg whites is the way to go. Me personally, I use the whole egg. I find it satisfies me more to eat 2-3 whole eggs, than just egg whites. Most of the nutritional vitamin and mineral composition of the egg is in the yolk anyways. :)

CTIgrad 01-30-2014 10:50 PM

Eat the whole egg. The white is pure protein, while all the nutritional value (minerals/vitamins/aminos) reside in the yolk.

For quick breakfasts I make spinach egg cups. In a blender I add 8-10 eggs, 6-8oz a spinach. Blend it up to a puree. Then I cook up some natural chicken sausage and crumble it. Fill a muffin tin with the chicken sausage, then pour your egg mix over the sausage. Bake at 400 for about 12 min and then pop them in the fridge. Protein, fat, and carb all in one.

While I love me a ribeye, since I've switched to paleo I've stuck with grass fed top sirloin. Slightly less fat and more protein per pound, and a bit easier on the check book then grass fed rib eye.