Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 10:11 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: I'm A Loser
Stats: 235/230/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1-17-14
Atkins Induction then Paleo

I'm on day 7 of induction, and have lost 7 pounds, even though I strayed one night and ate two small slices of white pizza. it was my first date in 24 years, but that's another story.....

Losing a pound a day for my first week proves to me that a LC diet works, but I'm just wondering about the feasibility of maintaining my weight, once I lose what I want.

I'm a big guy 6'-4" and I am very active. I walk at least 5 miles a day, every day rain or shine, and I'm sure I can tolerate a few more carbs than most w/o gaining.

I can do w/o bread and rolls, but going w/o winter squash, summer squash oranges, apples, carrots, and an occasional sweet potato or potato seems unrealistic to me.

I don't like nuts at all, and the added fruits in the 2nd stage of Atkins are just ridiculously expensive this time of year.

Has anyone ever tried going from Atkins Induction straight into the Paleo diet? I think I might have too much trouble on Atkins, not being able to eat many starchy fruits or vegetables.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
I'm A Loser is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2014, 07:32 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dancingdeer
Stats: 142/139/130 5'7 ~ 48yo
WOE: keto
Start Date: 2/3/2014
I think you would have no problem transitioning into paleo. The main differences between paleo and Atkins, are that paleo advocates eating food....no bars, shakes, artificial sweeteners. With your activity level you'd been happy eating an occasional piece of fruit, having a sweet potato or squash. Those are all considered safe carbs and are recommended for someone who is more active. I can highly recommend the book Practical Paleo,,by Diane Sanfillipo. It has tons of information, is easy to understand, and has many very good recipes.
dancingdeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:44 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NurseChef
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/20/13
I like your question.
Last year I had lost 45 lbs over 3 month. This was Atkins but then when I added fruit my losses were higher.
For this reason I realized what DO I lose on?
Well, it's Paleo and Atkins. I lose on butter and oils and I do love nuts so I have to buy them portioned. Those are to me very enjoyable with a piece of fruit.
So stupidly I fell off. I'm up 20 lbs, I'm thrilled because I usually regain it all especially when I've gone the Weight Watchers route.
I have cousins in CA that went the Paleo route. They don't eat bread. They eat grains. The Husband of my cousin said when he added grains like quinoa, oats and other while grains like brown rice his weight continued to go down.
For me I think just go Paleo. I just are a chopped salad at Subway and asked for double tuna which is zero carbs. Bought an Atkins egg breakfast for 5 net carbs and their vanilla shake(Atkins) for 1 net carb. I also ate sliced apples at Subway because I know my body does great on any fruit.
I realize that I'm looking for the weight loss in a healthy way not to be perfect but to keep going from where I am. I'm fine with my start but everyone does it their way. You need to know your body and what works.
NurseChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:36 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: phyllissusan
Stats: 180
WOE: WW
Start Date: July 30th, 2012
How do you get passed the initial feeling lousy when starting a low carb plan. I always get depressed and in a bad mood and then stop. HELP
phyllissusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:50 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyllissusan View Post
How do you get passed the initial feeling lousy when starting a low carb plan. I always get depressed and in a bad mood and then stop. HELP
I would suggest you make this a new thread so you will get answers. Not many people will find your question in a thread about another topic entirely.

If you do a search for "low carb flu" or "keto flu" or "Atkins flu" you'll get a lot of hits. When you go from high carb to low carb, you deplete your body's stores of glycogen. Every gram of glycogen carries with it 4 grams of fluid. So you will be losing fluid first (that's that big whoosh in the first two weeks). This can deplete your sodium and potassium stores, making your electrolytes unbalanced. That's why you feel so rotten.

The best way to handle it is to drink a LOT of fluid. Salty broth is really helpful for your sodium levels--canned broth, bullion, or homemade broth with a lot of salt. For potassium try avocados--they are a good source of potassium and a good, healthy fat.

The big trick is to stick with it. This yucky feeling usually goes away in a few days to a week. And when you get on the other side of it, you'll be AMAZED at how great you suddenly feel.

If you have these symptoms for more than a week or so, up your carbs until you start to feel better, and then decrease them back to induction levels more slowly. That should do it.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:24 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherlocklabs
Stats: 320+/258/130
WOE: Atkins 72, LCHF ~ Clean Eating Only
Start Date: Restart: 6/29/14
I'm A Loser: Just curious if you did transition.....and if it worked out for you? This was exactly what I was considering. I am now doing Atkins Induction....but would like to transition into Paleo at some point. I would love to hear an update if its available.
sherlocklabs is offline   Reply With Quote