Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rg86gg
Coconut milk

I am trying to stick to a Primal food plan. I love coconut milk and use it in my protein drinks. I'm wondering what brands people think are the best. I used to love T. Kitchen but lately it does not seem as good as it use to be. I like to put in the fridge so that the fat goes to the top and use that in my drink. But lately it seems it is always on the grainey side or there are pieces that harden like it has been frozen. I know my fridge is not that cold. Any ideas?
rg86gg is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/161/130
WOE: lchf/paleo/primal/keto
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
rg, it may be very high in fat. thats why it seems grainy? (fat gets solid at temps below 70║)
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rg86gg
coconut milk

It just seems like when I first started to use it last year the fat stayed nice and creamy. Maybe I'm letting it get to cold.
rg86gg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
After I open the can and stir really well I pour mine into a BPA free plastic container and refrigerate it. It always stays creamy from then until gone.
girondet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:24 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: westes
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg86gg View Post
I am trying to stick to a Primal food plan. I love coconut milk and use it in my protein drinks. I'm wondering what brands people think are the best. I used to love T. Kitchen but lately it does not seem as good as it use to be. I like to put in the fridge so that the fat goes to the top and use that in my drink. But lately it seems it is always on the grainey side or there are pieces that harden like it has been frozen. I know my fridge is not that cold. Any ideas?
Let's distinguish several types of coconut milk:

1) Homemade, or canned milk with no emulsifiers

2) Commercial milk with emulsifier added (usually guar gum)

3) Commercial milk using hydrogenated coconuts (think trans fat)

Coconut milk in 1) always separates the liquid from the fat. The fat gets into very hard clumps and is hard to mix back into the milk.

The commercial milk in 2) can stay mixed, but the problem is the emulsifier tastes bad and may be harmful to health.

Commercial milk in 3) is outright dangerous to your health, but I somehow doubt that any of the manufacturers who use this form of coconut fat are going to admit it on the label.

I used the Aryo-D product from Thailand and it *claims* on the label to be 100% coconut milk. But it behaves perfectly homogenized, which if it is really 100% coconut it should not. So this product has the best consistency and flavor, but I am deeply suspicious of it. I would like to pay a food lab to test it, because it appears to be too good to be true.

I will also note that on coconut milk and other high saturated fats my LDL particle count has gone through the roof. So I am removing most of the coconut milk from my diet and plan to keep moderating saturated fats until I get this under control.
westes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melkhamilton
I haven't found a coconut milk I like so I'm watching this thread with interest.
melkhamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:43 PM   #7
GME
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/199/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
My favorite is the Whole Foods brand. It has guar gum in it and it stays mixed and creamy.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote