Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sweetpoison
Stats: 225/224/160
WOE: 80/20 PRIMAL
Start Date: 08/22/2014
Primal/paleo people....... do you lose weight on this???

Just wondering .... I do not see alot of movement on this board. Those of you doing it... do you lose weight on it??? I have been trying to do at least 80/20 Primal with a lower carb twist (primal and not so much paleo since I still have some hard cheese) and I have been losing. Guess I am looking for other success stories in that area. I do feel better eating this way... even with the horrible cold I have had lately. I LOVE to make a big pot of chicken soup (free range organic) with veggis...... never liked soup before... but love this stuff. Although I am in real need of more "primal meat entrees".

I am trying to get HEALTHY as well as drop the weight.... thats why Primal has gotten to be my choice.
Vicki

Last edited by sweetpoison; 09-24-2013 at 08:51 AM..
sweetpoison is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tashydoll
WOE: Primal/occasional M&E
Start Date: LC since 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpoison View Post
Just wondering .... I do not see alot of movement on this board. Those of you doing it... do you lose weight on it??? I have been trying to do at least 80/20 Primal with a lower carb twist (primal and not so much paleo since I still have some hard cheese) and I have been losing. Guess I am looking for other success stories in that area. I do feel better eating this way... even with the horrible cold I have had lately. I LOVE to make a big pot of chicken soup (free range organic) with veggis...... never liked soup before... but love this stuff. Although I am in real need of more "primal meat entrees".

I am trying to get HEALTHY as well as drop the weight.... thats why Primal has gotten to be my choice.
Vicki
Hi Vicki...I don't think a lot of people post here so I'll help out if I can. I have been primal now for about 3 months and in the first 2 months I lost the last 5kgs (11lbs) that my body had been hanging on to for about 8 months and have finally reached my goal. So in answer to your question, yes, it is possible to lose weight on this.

My previous WOE was Atkins (30g net carbs/day) and I found after nearly 3 years of this WOE I was very lethargic and had no energy reserves at all. I slowly started adding back more good carbs (fruit/veg/seeds) and dropped my fat intake and the last bit of my weight started to shift and I had tonnes of energy. More reading made me realise that I had changed to a primal diet without even knowing.

The way I do primal is still pretty l/c (compared to the standard diet) and I eat approx Fat:55%, Carbs:15%, & Protein:30% with about 1300-1500 cals/day (minus what I do in exercise). It took a bit of tweaking to get it right for my personal needs and I had to monitor my intake for a few weeks until I could see where I was going wrong. I find if my fat intake is too high, I don't lose, if my protein intake is too high, yep you guessed it, I don't lose! Now I don't even have to think about numbers and I can just tell when I need to eat more/less of something.

It really depends on what your previous WOE was as to whether you will find primal challenging or not I think. For me, I was already not eating sugar and most grains (issues with gluten) so it was a pretty easy switch and my body loves it.

I hope that helps a little bit. I have posted on here a thread for newbies for ideas, tips, and recipes if you would like to join us (some lovely people from the M&E thread have been popping in). If you are looking for a regular thread, I plan on posting daily if I can...Primal/Paleo newbies.... tips, hints, and most of all, recipes to share!

Hope that helps
Old 09-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
i have lost very little scale weight but quite a few inches. i don't weigh nor measure. i monitor the mirror and my clothes.

i lift heavy 3 times a week and walk quite a bit.

i don't much care about the scale, clothes are getting baggy so that's good with me.
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/238/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
I lost a lot of weight on low carb. I didn't see results from switching to paleo, other than an initial loss on Kwasniewski's Optimal Diet followed by a gain after a while. I can't find satiety by increasing fat. I haven't tried NK with a machine.

I have lost weight using the bland approach advocated by Stephan Guyenet (bland paleo foods) combined with Shangri-La/Seth Roberts to use oil shots (I use MCT oil). These are methods to address leptin resistance. I have more information in the thread in my auto signature.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:03 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BigRunner
Stats: 247/190/168
WOE: Paleo/Primal
I am losing weight with the paleo approach. Currently doing an 8 week challenge at the Crossfit gym. The focus is currently on getting the protein up. My percentages seemed to have settled around 40P, 30F, 30C. Obviously not real low carb. My carbs come mostly from vegetables including the higher carb winter squashes and some sweet potatoes here and there. Since New Year's Day, have given up diet soda and all artificial sweeteners. I am slowly adapting to black coffee. Along the way, have found that dairy was the cause of my life long acne issues. Even whey powder makes me break out. Currently, trying non-dairy protein powders.
BigRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:05 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've started nutritional ketosis and am seriously studying just exactly what you are supposed to eat and am finding that a lot of the folks on the board are not eating the recommended non-starchy vegetables and fruit, and found that Volek/Phinney do say to clip the fat back for weight loss and raise it for maintenance.

I am also incorporating what I learned from reading Stephan Guyenet and Seth Roberts. I have finally hit ketosis.

I have linked my threads below - time will tell if I succeed with this experiment.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:54 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 211/193.4/150
Start Date: 12/08/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRunner View Post
I am losing weight with the paleo approach. Currently doing an 8 week challenge at the Crossfit gym. The focus is currently on getting the protein up. My percentages seemed to have settled around 40P, 30F, 30C. Obviously not real low carb. My carbs come mostly from vegetables including the higher carb winter squashes and some sweet potatoes here and there. Since New Year's Day, have given up diet soda and all artificial sweeteners. I am slowly adapting to black coffee. Along the way, have found that dairy was the cause of my life long acne issues. Even whey powder makes me break out. Currently, trying non-dairy protein powders.
This is my experience as well! I had no idea (and didn't WANT to have that idea!) that dairy and artificial sweeteners were a problem, but they ARE.

I avoid starchy foods: but if I'm going to cheat or have a bite of something it will be fruit or potatoes, NOT GRAINS.

I find I eat probably half the fat on Paleo that I ate on Atkins, and more vegetable carbohydrates: that change is enjoyable to me, more energy, more weight loss, and I think food tastes better with more vegetables.
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:57 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BigRunner
Stats: 247/190/168
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmirror View Post

I find I eat probably half the fat on Paleo that I ate on Atkins, and more vegetable carbohydrates: that change is enjoyable to me, more energy, more weight loss, and I think food tastes better with more vegetables.
This is what I am experiencing as well. I was stuck with weight loss for years on Atkins. I eat half the fat as well. I initially was going to fight our trainer on the percentage of fat she was recommending. Then, I figured what the heck. What I have been doing isn't working. Might as well try something new. Also testing out the "resistant starch" I have been reading about as well.
BigRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:46 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I watched an interview by Fat Burning Man of Denise Minger. My paleo book club is going to read her book, so I ordered it, which caused me to want to watch the video.

She did make some comments about women having trouble losing weight on paleo. She seems to suggest (she isn't sure) that using more plant-based foods would be helpful for hormonal reasons. I think this is true.

I'm experimenting with MCT oil (again) and it is working. This instead of butter, wild-caught salmon and shellfish instead of beef/chicken, almond milk or coconut milk instead of greek yogurt, using the blender to get the greens down that I can't stand to eat anymore - I've been doing this based on past experience or recent studies, and I think the answer is in here.

I am posting in my thread below that ends with "Roberts" and "Volek" if you are interested.

Last edited by Key Tones; 02-18-2014 at 12:47 PM..
Old 02-25-2014, 09:48 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sagemindworks
My wife and I eat a somewhat modified Paleo diet. We eat no grains, dairy or sugar products. She cooks with ghee or lard and we are doing well.

One of the problems we ran into is eating too many nuts and some other things like fruit. We cut them down quite a bit and the weight started coming off.

We, also, don't exercise except for walking daily.

I have lost 60 lbs so far and will continue.
sagemindworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:25 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sweetpoison
Stats: 225/224/160
WOE: 80/20 PRIMAL
Start Date: 08/22/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
I watched an interview by Fat Burning Man of Denise Minger. My paleo book club is going to read her book, so I ordered it, which caused me to want to watch the video.

She did make some comments about women having trouble losing weight on paleo. She seems to suggest (she isn't sure) that using more plant-based foods would be helpful for hormonal reasons. I think this is true.

I'm experimenting with MCT oil (again) and it is working. This instead of butter, wild-caught salmon and shellfish instead of beef/chicken, almond milk or coconut milk instead of greek yogurt, using the blender to get the greens down that I can't stand to eat anymore - I've been doing this based on past experience or recent studies, and I think the answer is in here.

I am posting in my thread below that ends with "Roberts" and "Volek" if you are interested.
Tell me... does MCT oil have a taste...... sounds like a good idea... but I like my butter for the taste.
sweetpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:12 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No, it tastes like nothing, really.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:38 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Katy
Stats: 299/279/150
WOE: Primal Blueprint 80/20
Start Date: Restart 12/29/13 at 290.5 lbs
I've started doing primal about a week ago after 2 months of no loss on Atkins/vlc. I'm finally seeing a little bit of weight loss and I feel better. People kept telling me to lower my carbs to see results but it was not working well for me. I even tried the atkins fat fast and all it did was make me crave a salad. We'll see how this goes.
Katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:24 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sicca
Stats: 170/135/135
WOE: Atkins with a bit of Paleo
Start Date: March 2012
I'm going for a Paleo challenge the entire month of March!! My goal is not to lose weight because I"m at my goal weight currently and just maintaining. BUT I do hope it can help me knock the artificial crap out of my diet and cut back on all the dairy.
Sicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:48 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Katy
Stats: 299/279/150
WOE: Primal Blueprint 80/20
Start Date: Restart 12/29/13 at 290.5 lbs
I weighed myself today and am down 6 pounds in just under a week doing primal. This is after 3 months doing vlc 25 g or less a day and losing 2 pounds. I'm now eating around 50g of carbs a day. I feel so good.
Katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:51 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: vuittonobsessed
Stats: 219/160/135
WOE: Strict Paleo
Start Date: 02/03/13
I've actually been on Paleo lifestyle for a little over a year. I started out at 219 (I'm 5'9 and was a size 16 at the time). I've lost a total of 54lbs so far. I'm currently at 165 and between a size 10 and 12. I don't really exercise but I have two young kids that I'm always chasing around (and taking to the park). I have two 10lbs each dumb bells and a 10lbs medicine ball (that I use for squats) that I use maybe 3-4 times a week for like 10 minutes. I'm currently doing strict Paleo (whole30 but I'm doing it for 90 days).

I've done Atkins in the past but wasn't as successful. I love that I can still eat lots of carbs (I probably eat like 100-200 carbs a day) and not gain the fat back.
vuittonobsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:44 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SlimFast
Stats: 267/196.5/120
WOE: "Primalified" Stillman's, plus JUDDD cycling.
Yes, I lose on Paleo (Primal) but very slowly lately. I lose quicker if I am strict about not having any dairy, starches, or natural sugars. But I only REALLY lose lately if I cut out most of the fat too, and choose leaner meats, removing the visible fat and skin.

If you look at my stats, you'll see a big loss and MOST of that was done just Primal eating. But to lose any more I have now had to step it up a notch.
SlimFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:30 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SpikersMom
Stats: 180/157/140
WOE: Atkins and primal
Start Date: restart in November 2013
Hello I consider my diet a mix of LC and primal. I am officially pre-diabetic but consider myself a type II diabetic . All of this hit me last fall. Honestly I ignored it for a while and then got a glucose meter and started testing a lot. I am very sensitive to carbs - like bread and potatoes. My favorite foods of course. I eat eggs, meat, some cheese, berries, soups, and veggies. I know I have to limit my portions all the time. I don't measure or weigh or even keep track of what I eat daily. I seem to know when to stop eating intuitively. It has started clicking for me in the past few weeks. Since February I've lost about ten pounds. It's slow but steady and I'm okay with it. I currently don't exercise but plan to start shortly.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:04 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I'm a little confused by this question because it seems to imply that low carb and Paleo/Primal are mutually exclusive, and I don't agree with that premise.

I think that Paleo/Primal is about clean eating natural sources of food--grass fed meat, wild caught fish, natural fats, organic veggies, no grains. While Paleo/Primal permit some natural sugars (depending on who you ask) and starchy veggies, there's no REQUIREMENT that you eat them. So it's possible to follow a Paleo/Primal diet while being LC or VLC--even ketogenic. To me, that's the healthiest approach to VLC.

I started out on a VLC, but about the time started to read about Paleo and Primal. I wanted to continue to be VLC but I wanted to do so healthfully, and I realized that AS, industrial seed and nut oils, grain fed meats and conventionally grown veggies were not going to get me there.

So I would answer that yes, you can lose weight on a Paleo or Primal diet, but it may also have to be lower in carbs. About 50 of my 70+ pounds lost have been lost primally AND VLC.

ETA that just going Primal or Paleo may help you lose weight if you come to it from the SAD, because it's a LOT fewer carbs even if you eat starchy vegs, fruit, and natural sugars ad lib. But for sustained weight loss, you may need more--low carb better than low calorie, IMHO.

Last edited by Janknitz; 04-27-2014 at 08:06 PM..
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:57 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rachel2writer
Stats: 260/256/???
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/5/14
I started paleo March 17. For the first four weeks, I didn't lose anything, BUT I was feeling so great, I kept going. Now, these past two weeks, I have dropped 6 pounds. I've added 3 times a week bodyweight training, too.
rachel2writer is offline   Reply With Quote