Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Paleolithic & Neanderthin (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/)
-   -   Eating organ meats? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/812739-eating-organ-meats.html)

Punkin 09-22-2013 09:41 AM

Eating organ meats?

I have just started eating liver but I have been eating it cooked. I read on a website that eating it cooked destroys most of the vitamins, which is the main benefit of eating liver in the first place. First of all, is this true? I could never eat liver raw so I am just wondering if there is a way to cook it that minimizes the probability of destroying the nutrients.

Does anyone know anything about this topic? I would just like some advice.

Mistizoom 09-29-2013 09:29 PM

Well, I have never eaten liver. I bought some grassfed beef liver that sat in my freezer for several years but I never got up the courage to try it. However, to eat it raw, I know some people eat it like a supplement, essentially cutting it up into small cubes and eating it frozen, without tasting/chewing it too much.

anglgrl 10-10-2013 09:41 AM

I know I'm a bit late in replying but I just saw this.

Got this from a website:

There’s no denying that some nutrients are lost when foods are cooked. Simple strategies such as steaming food rather than boiling, or broiling rather than frying, can significantly reduce the loss of nutrients when you’re cooking food.
Virtually all minerals are unaffected by heat. Cooked or raw, food has the same amount of calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, iron, zinc, iodine, selenium, copper, manganese, chromium, and sodium. The single exception to this rule is potassium, which — although not affected by heat or air — escapes from foods into the cooking liquid.
Vitamins A, E, and D: To reduce the loss of fat-soluble vitamins A and E, cook with very little oil. For example, bake or broil vitamin A–rich liver oil-free instead of frying. Ditto for vitamin D–rich fish.

B vitamins: Strategies that conserve protein in meat and poultry during cooking also work to conserve the B vitamins that leak out into cooking liquid or drippings: Use the cooking liquid in soup or sauce.

Liver doesn't take very long to cook in a pan. It gets tough if overcooked.
If the taste is too strong (the taste of beef liver is stronger than calf liver, chicken liver or lamb liver) soak it in milk for about 3-4 hours and then rinse off. (You can also use water and a little lemon juice).
I've had liver and onions (I "breaded" the liver with almond flour/salt/garlic/pepper) and it's pretty good (but onions bother my stomach, so I gave up on that). But if you want to cover up the taste more: soak it and then mix with ground beef and make into burgers/meatloaf. (You can use a 1:1 ration of liver to ground beef but if you really want to cover the taste up use about 1:3.)

Glenda 10-23-2013 11:37 AM

My dad used to make the best liver. Sear it on high heat, switch it to low and toss in a lot of sliced fresh garlic (like 4 cloves). Salt and pepper to taste. As the liver releases its juices, it mellows out the garlic. Don't over-cook the liver. It should bounce back, when you press down on it with your finger.
You can use the same technique with kidneys & other organ meat, such as chicken livers/hearts... really yummy :)

DiamondDeb 11-04-2013 07:33 PM

I have been reading about the health benefits of liver but had not read anything about cooking it being bad. No plans to eat it raw!

I just added liver back into my diet today. I hadn't had any in years! No idea why. It was so easy to cook & tastes so good!

I'm planning to have it twice a week.