Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tashydoll
WOE: Primal/occasional M&E
Start Date: LC since 2010
No complaints here Terri
tashydoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Pork Breakfast Sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post
I was looking for the Endurance crackers ingredients this weekend. I'll probably make a stop at Whole Foods this week. They sound super yummy. I'll look up the other recipes.

I'm working on my tracker (whoops almost called it by name without thinking ) as we speak. I think I will track for a while until I get my rhythm down.

So are you saying you were doing 1300 before or after exercise? DH is getting used to me. I had a bag of mixed nuts over the weekend and he was about to throw the bag away and stopped to ask me if I needs to track my calories
Pork Breakfast Sausage

Ingredients:
1 pound ground pork
½ tablespoon garlic powder
½ tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried sage
½ teaspoon dried thyme
⅛ teaspoon paprika
salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions
*Mix together all ingredients in a bowl, thoroughly (best to use hands).
*Create 8-10 patties with the pork.
*Place a large fry-pan over medium heat (can add a little coconut oil if needed).
*Cook on both sides for about 5-6 minutes per side, or until cooked through.

Last edited by tashydoll; 09-30-2013 at 06:44 PM..
Old 09-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyL View Post
Thanks, I just assumed it was the same as making yogurt & kefir. I used to make them all the time. So I didn't even look up a recipe until after I started it.
You can definitely use 2 or 3 tblsp of your existing yoghurt in place of the starter, however I read somewhere that not all yoghurts will work properly as they need to have active/live cultures and no thickeners to do this. If you buy a good natural yoghurt with live cultures in it then it shouldn't be a problem to use it as a starter. Also the quality can deteriorate after reusing a bit from each batch and often you will notice it not thickening or tasting right after any more than 4 batches. Hope that helps
Old 10-01-2013, 05:50 AM   #94
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
Quote:
Yep, DH is a short pleasing plump fellow, just like me. He's trying very hard to get on the low carb band wagon as it really works for him too. Breakfasts and Dinners are no problem. His nemesis is lunches, he's a sandwich eater and there are only so many salads he can stand. I just got him some low carb wraps and pitas to help him out. He's not far enough along or committed enough to go grain free. I wish I had better ideas for boy lunches, packed, with no microwave available. He's a microscope technician and eats while he works so there aren't a lot of options. Salads, meat rolls and I'm out. Any suggestions would be welcome!!
hey there, buddy o' mine.

try these for your hubby. they made ALLLLL the difference for my dh when he went lc 5yrs ago. he too was a sandwich guy with his work...landscaping/tree removal. had to eat on the go. it's all he eats for lunches. they make HUGE wraps!! much bigger than a plain ol' sandwich. we get them at walmart in the deli section. it says half is a serving, but dh uses a whole one and it's still only 8 net carbs.

Joseph's Middle East Bakery Lavash Bread

dazygyrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #95
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 143.7/138.7/130
WOE: HDE/FF
Awesome Bud!
I'll totally check those out. Especially from Walmart. I've been surprised the natural no nitrate meat I've found there too.

I just ordered mine mail order and they were round, not as easy to wrap.
TerriMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Karai
Stats: 262/148/140
WOE: BFC-raw eating
Start Date: June 2013
Quote:
Awesome Bud!
I'll totally check those out. Especially from Walmart. I've been surprised the natural no nitrate meat I've found there too.

I just ordered mine mail order and they were round, not as easy to wrap.
Hey Terry . Are you 'talking' about the hormel natural turkey slices found in the lunch meat cooler at Walmart? We love them...especially the tomato and basil flavored meat. Super delish. The kiddos and dh would go through a box a day, if I didn't keep the meat frozen. I try to catch them on sale when possible and load up. Walmart has them a lot cheaper than Kroger.
Karai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #97
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I haven't seen that flavor yet, I'll keep an eye out that does sound good. They also carry Hormel no nitrate bacon, Jimmy Dean natural no nitrate sausage and Aidells Chicken natural sausage in many flavors (my favorite is Roasted Garlic & Gruyere Cheese)
Old 10-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #98
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

which ones did you order?
Old 10-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #99
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Toufayan Bakeries Low Carb/Low Fat Wrap
http://www6.netrition.com/toufayan_lc_pita.html

I got them before and DH really likes them. But like I said they’re round, though they are good size. I also finally got some of the Guys Barbeque sauce you told me about

I've been meaning to ask you, how do you insert pictures like that?
Old 10-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #100
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I saved it to my computer from the netrition site the i uploaded it to an outside picture hosting site. the one I use is PictureTrail.com then there is a link you copy and put In the reply.

do you like guy's? I love it! am out and need to order more.

Last edited by dazygyrl; 10-01-2013 at 04:04 PM..
Old 10-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #101
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Paleo|Primal Newbie
Quote:
I did it all wrong, used 1 TBS of regular Greek Yogurt, mixed it into warm half & half... then put it in the warmer for 6+ hrs. It didn't seem to be working, very liquid, so I turned it off & left it in there overnight... when I went to get it out to feed to the dog I noticed it had somewhat set up... so I put it in a strainer & left it in the fridge for 6 hrs. It didn't really drain off much & when I tasted it was "bland" like cottage cheese. So the dog got some really yummy cream on her food! Oh well, I'll see if I can find "starter" somewhere. I do think it would be cheaper to buy the cream then the store-bought. Does yours come out sour & thick? I would imagine they add some kind of thickener to the store-bought.
Sorry, I wasn't home much, yesterday. Yes, mine is super thick, now that I make small, individual jars of it. I can turn it upside down and it stays! It didn't do that in the big container, though. I had to strain it. Mine isn't tart... I hate tart yogurt. I heard the longer you let it ferment, the more tart it gets. I don't know if that's true. But, I only let mine set 8-9 hours. I also think the "Fage" brand Greek yogurt I use as starter, is not very tart and that may be another reason. I sometimes use my own yogurt as starter, too.

I am making a batch on Friday. I'll write down step by step what I do.

BTW, yogurt is VERY good for dogs... even runny yogurt.

Last edited by Sugar Free Sweet Pea; 10-01-2013 at 04:15 PM..
Sugar Free Sweet Pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #102
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
I saved it to my computer from the netrition site the i uploaded it to an outside picture hosting site. the one I use is PictureTrail.com then there is a link you copy and put In the reply.

do you like guy's? I love it! am out and need to order more.
I just got it yesterday. Tomorrow I'm going to try it with my baked porkchops. One of my favorite recipes I miss so much.

I'll try the picture site I always like the way your pictures come out and mine are always so tiny.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #103
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Ah, well I like it sour, I think the store-bought is probably going to be my choice anyway... sounds like my yogurt was pretty well a success then, I just thought it should be sour. Lucky dog!

guys? is that a brand name for something?

I had a good day today, the sun was shining makes a body feel good!

Hope y'all are doing great with your diets!
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #104
Senior LCF Member

The LC/LF wrap has some good reviews. It's hard to find a good tasting LC wrap. Plus, the sodium content is not too bad...will give them a try too.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I haven't seen that flavor yet, I'll keep an eye out that does sound good. They also carry Hormel no nitrate bacon, Jimmy Dean natural no nitrate sausage and Aidells Chicken natural sausage in many flavors (my favorite is Roasted Garlic & Gruyere Cheese)
I've not seen the JD nnn sausage nor the Aidell's sausage...will look harder on my next trip to Wally's world.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:44 AM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
Interesting comments about the yogurt. I dont like mine very tart, so I buy the packet mix to make my homemade stuff.

Im in Thailand at the moment and food wise, its far easier to eat Paleo here than SAD. mostly because apart from the hotels, the food hasn't been westenised. Tonight for tea I ate two chicken kebabs and a whole baby coconut. Delicious! I did eat a little jasmine rice last night and stomach wise did ok. No scales here to check weight so just keeping fingers crossed I dont do too much damage while here.
lilbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:03 AM   #107
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2014
Subbing. I'm not Paleo per se but I use some Paleo recipes in my cooking. This is a staple of mine, from nomnom paleo (I don't think we're allowed to post links):

I make this with cut up chicken breast.

Garbage Stir-Fry with Curried Cabbage:

Here’s what you’ll need to make 4 servings of Garbage Stir-Fry with Curried Cabbage:

1 tablespoon ghee or fat of choice
½ large onion, diced
1 pound ground beef, pork, lamb, or whatever high-quality meat suits your fancy
2 teaspoons Madras curry powder
Kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper
½ small head of cabbage, thinly sliced
Juice from ½ lime
Here’s what to do:

Heat the ghee in a large cast iron skillet, and cook the onions until they’re soft and translucent.
Add the ground meat to the onions in the skillet.
Break it up with a wooden spoon, and stir-fry until the pink’s gone.
Sprinkle the curry powder on the contents of the skillet, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir to incorporate.
Toss in the cabbage, and cover and cook for 2 minutes or until the cabbage softens.
Add a spritz of lime juice, and taste and adjust the seasonings as desired. (I usually add more curry).

Portia's Journal
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #108
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeetle View Post
Interesting comments about the yogurt. I dont like mine very tart, so I buy the packet mix to make my homemade stuff.

Im in Thailand at the moment and food wise, its far easier to eat Paleo here than SAD. mostly because apart from the hotels, the food hasn't been westenised. Tonight for tea I ate two chicken kebabs and a whole baby coconut. Delicious! I did eat a little jasmine rice last night and stomach wise did ok. No scales here to check weight so just keeping fingers crossed I dont do too much damage while here.
I've been thinking about you Lil wondering if you were off on our holiday. Best wishes on everything. Please have a fresh coconut for me. I've always wanted to try them. I hear they're altogether different then the processed stuff we get in the stores that I have never been a big fan of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portia View Post
Subbing. I'm not Paleo per se but I use some Paleo recipes in my cooking. This is a staple of mine, from nomnom paleo (I don't think we're allowed to post links):

Here’s what you’ll need to make 4 servings of Garbage Stir-Fry with Curried Cabbage:

½ large onion, diced
Kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper
Juice from ½ lime
Here’s what to do:

Heat the ghee in a large cast iron skillet, and cook the onions until they’re soft and translucent.
Sprinkle the curry powder on the contents of the skillet, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir to incorporate.
Toss in the cabbage, and cover and cook for 2 minutes or until the cabbage softens.
Add a spritz of lime juice, and taste and adjust the seasonings as desired. (I usually add more curry).
That sounds delish Portia! Thanks for staring. I've been looking for a way to use curry that's not to "out there" to try out on DH.

Please feel welcome to hang with us. We're not terribly strict about anything. Just trying to figure out the healthiest way to live and be at our best possible weight.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portia View Post

½ large onion, diced
Kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper
Juice from ½ lime
Here’s what to do:

Hi Portia! Thanks for dropping by and leaving a great recipe! Would love to have you joining in any time you like...

Terri, Karai, Lil, Debby, Sugar Free Sweet Pea (SFSP??), anyone I've forgotten and lurkers Hope you are all having a great day. Might post a recipe a bit later today.

Lil, your dinner sounds delicious! I loooooove fresh coconut. Enjoy Thailand, it's an amazing place... watch out if you go to Patpong, bit of an eye-opener !!!
Old 10-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #110
Senior LCF Member

Definatly going to try the curry when I get home Portia.

Fresh coconut is almost tasteless but a little sweet. You buy them from a street vendor. They knock a hole in a fresh one, stick a straw in it and your good to go When we got back to the hotel. We threw them in the bathtub to break them open to eat the meat
Old 10-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #111
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Amazon was giving away an online Paleo book today, so I got it. Have it half read now. Sounds exactly like Primal?? Do you know what the difference is? Because it also allows some dairy. Anyway, it is very encouraging to read up on the how's & why's of this thing. Especially when it comes to the good fats, because the opposite has been so ingrained in us! Unfortunately it didn't really have recipes in it, as it looked like on the front. My Primal book still has not arrived.

I'm going to cut out dairy this week & see if my system & Rosacea do better. My naturopath took me off of dairy last year, says I'm intolerant of it... think she must be right, although it doesn't give me the symptoms of Lactose intolerance. I've been eating it again now for a few weeks & it seems to be the culprit for those issues.

Hope you all have a blessed evening & Sunday!
Old 10-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Amazon was giving away an online Paleo book today, so I got it. Have it half read now. Sounds exactly like Primal?? Do you know what the difference is? Because it also allows some dairy. Anyway, it is very encouraging to read up on the how's & why's of this thing. Especially when it comes to the good fats, because the opposite has been so ingrained in us! Unfortunately it didn't really have recipes in it, as it looked like on the front. My Primal book still has not arrived.

I'm going to cut out dairy this week & see if my system & Rosacea do better. My naturopath took me off of dairy last year, says I'm intolerant of it... think she must be right, although it doesn't give me the symptoms of Lactose intolerance. I've been eating it again now for a few weeks & it seems to be the culprit for those issues.

Hope you all have a blessed evening & Sunday!
Hi Debby. I also thought that Paleo/Primal differed due to dairy I do know that Primal is a bit of 'a way of life' rather than a diet (well that seems to be what is said anyway). I think there are also some differences in how people feel about things such as sweeteners (stevia particularly) and I think Primal is a bit more forgiving with some fermented legumes also. Please don't quote me here, but I'm sure that my reading has lead to these conclusions. Am happy for anyone to advise if I have gotten it wrong

Would be very interested to hear how you go when you remove the dairy from your diet Debby....I have definitely cut down on my dairy intake since starting Primal (have almond milk in place of milk most times) but I still consume cheese and natural yoghurt in limited quantities. It seems ok for me, so I'm happy to stick with it!!

Have a great day
Old 10-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #113
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
We can think about stevia as a Primal sugar alternative with some potentially therapeutic effects. Kind of like cinnamon or turmeric, we don’t consume it for the calories or as literal fuel for our bodies, but for flavor, variety, and, possibly, the health benefits. It may induce insulin secretion, but it increases insulin sensitivity, reduces blood glucose (i.e., the insulin is doing its job), and does not increase appetite.
I think Paleo is less inclined to use sweeteners, even a more natural one such as Stevia because it has been processed. But they are not demonized either
Old 10-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #114
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Natasha,
I knew it couldn't be much of a difference. Stevia yuck! They also talk like its a lifestyle in Paleo, very similar. So, its pretty appropriate that you named category includes both... guess they knew that!

I've always had issues with dairy, actually since I was a toddler. You're so lucky to be able to eat cheese! It won't be a big deal to cut the dairy out again. Have been without it until last week or so. Just going to have to get more creative with my breakfasts & snacks.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #115
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey! Where did everybody go?
I got my book! Haven't got a chance to read it yet... too busy with work & catching up on the boards here.

OK. So, my face cleared up really fast. I went ahead with GY this morning, and stayed away from the cream. Will see if face stays clear. I'm down 1/4 lb. for the week, possibly more because my hip was out. But I'm happy with that, as I only want to lose 2 lbs. mainly want to maintain while increasing my metabolism.

I'm trying Stevia again... don't like it! But the new brand I bought doesn't nauseate me. Makes me lose interest in my coffee though! Which could be a good thing.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:50 PM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hey! Where did everybody go?
I got my book! Haven't got a chance to read it yet... too busy with work & catching up on the boards here.

OK. So, my face cleared up really fast. I went ahead with GY this morning, and stayed away from the cream. Will see if face stays clear. I'm down 1/4 lb. for the week, possibly more because my hip was out. But I'm happy with that, as I only want to lose 2 lbs. mainly want to maintain while increasing my metabolism.

I'm trying Stevia again... don't like it! But the new brand I bought doesn't nauseate me. Makes me lose interest in my coffee though! Which could be a good thing.
Hi Debby... I'm here but have been just too lazy to post It's soooo hot here at the moment and it's only Spring and I just don't have the energy to do anything! Good grief. We had 36 degree (about 97F) here on the weekend and it coincided with digging up and removing a whole heap of turf. Now, 36 degrees is nothing to write home about in Brisbane but for Spring that is pretty hot...just means we can be looking for to some 40+ degree (105F+) for a big portion on the Summer. Anyway, I digress.

Great work on your loss firstly...well done Glad the no dairy seems to be working for you... what a bummer though, I would not enjoy having to give up dairy, I feel for you

Ok, on to the Stevia...not all Stevia is created equal I have found. Plain Stevia by itself *gag*, but stevia mixed with something like erythitrol is great (yes, yes, I know the Paleo Police are going to be after me for endorsing sugar alcohols but I truly believe in moderation some of them ok... each to their own) There is only one brand here in Australia that has gotten the combination perfect but I have been working on my own blend and it's pretty darned good You might want to google something like 'stevia erythitrol blend' to see what products are available to you where you are. Are you in the States Debby? If so, I vaguely remember someone mentioning Truvia(?) or something like that to be good.

Hope everyone out there is well

Last edited by tashydoll; 10-07-2013 at 10:53 PM..
Old 10-07-2013, 10:59 PM   #117
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ah, sorry about the heat! Seasons changes are hard... I'm dealing with sudden cold! I'm in BC. Canada

Yes, that's what I bought, Nuvia... its "better" then Stevia. I also read about something else. Thanks! Will do that search.

Hope it cools off for you, g'nite!
Old 10-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #118
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Ah, sorry about the heat! Seasons changes are hard... I'm dealing with sudden cold! I'm in BC. Canada

Yes, that's what I bought, Nuvia... its "better" then Stevia. I also read about something else. Thanks! Will do that search.

Hope it cools off for you, g'nite!
Thanks, I'm just having a little whinge...I shouldn't really complain too much, we have lovely weather here pretty much year-round but I think it was a bit of a shock to the system! Wow, Canada, now THAT is cold

Let me know if you have any luck on your stevia research

Good night
Old 10-08-2013, 02:42 AM   #119
Senior LCF Member

Im still in Thailand, eating primal cos thats whats available. Healing up super fast from my surgery which is impressing my nurse no end. I wonder if thats diet related?

I know Ihave gained weight, but expected it...some from the implants, some from post surgical swelling. Other wise, nothing to report apart from I might move here, Thailand rocks!
Old 10-08-2013, 02:50 AM   #120
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeetle View Post
Im still in Thailand, eating primal cos thats whats available. Healing up super fast from my surgery which is impressing my nurse no end. I wonder if thats diet related?

I know Ihave gained weight, but expected it...some from the implants, some from post surgical swelling. Other wise, nothing to report apart from I might move here, Thailand rocks!
Great you are healing well How are the, ahem, "girls" if you don't mind me asking? Are you happy with your results? How are you feeling? Hope you are well

Thailand is great, enjoy. Hope you get to do some sightseeing before you head home.

Last edited by tashydoll; 10-08-2013 at 02:56 AM..