Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tashydoll
WOE: Primal/occasional M&E
Start Date: LC since 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyL View Post
I noticed it being mentioned in the newsletter & went looking. Do a google search for:
primal barefoot
kind of interesting. I ordered a pair of shoes that he recommended because I need to buy some shoes anyway. They'll get here before the book.
Ohhhh ok, thought I was going crazy Will have a look
tashydoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2013, 01:40 AM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
I sort of read something about the shoes. Doesnt worry me - I go barefoot whenever I can. Hate wearing shoes. Guess its a hangover from being a kid

Re: the banana...it felt so naughty, almost forbidden like
lilbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Paleo|Primal Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashydoll View Post
Yes the muesli is super yummy and keeps me full for hours I have a yoghurt pot and the thermos-type thing it sits in and I use an organic/natural yoghurt culture starter. I make a plain one and that way I can add in any flavours I like depending on how I'm feeling on the day.

Sweet Pea... so good to have you on board for the journey! We are all kind of new at this so we'll fumble along together and give each other some encouragement along the way. Hope to see more of you here
Thanks heaps for the warm welcome! I let my yogurt set my the electric oven... temperature turned off, but the light bulb turned on, wrapped in a big, warm, thick towel. I usually make individual pint canning jars, filled halfway up. Then, I can just grab a jar in the mornings, and add whatever I want to the top of the jar, and run. It's a pain to stir starter into each jar, but it's worth it in the long run. I use Fage brand Greek Yogurt as my starter culture.

Last edited by Sugar Free Sweet Pea; 09-28-2013 at 01:15 PM..
Sugar Free Sweet Pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/134/128
WOE: Carb Nite to tweak~
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.& Tweaking
Hi gals,
Well, my greek yogurt was a flop. I tried making it with other greek yogurt as a starter... the dog's getting some really yummy sauce on her food!
I was looking at my nutrients over the last couple of months. Its enlightening. I see that I am actually increasing my calories & carbs while lowering my wt. in this short period on Primal. So far, so good. Clothes are fitting better & except for today, my energy level has improved. I think today being Saturday & rainy has something more to do with low energy today. Sometimes you gotta just rest.
Crock-potted some gf beef ribs for dinner.
Hope y'all are doing great!

DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #65
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Paleo|Primal Newbie
Quote:
Hi gals,
Well, my greek yogurt was a flop. I tried making it with other greek yogurt as a starter... the dog's getting some really yummy sauce on her food!
Debby, how much starter did you use... to how much milk? And, did you heat the milk to 185° and then let it cool down to under 110°, before adding yogurt?
Sugar Free Sweet Pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #66
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Free Sweet Pea View Post
Debby, how much starter did you use... to how much milk? And, did you heat the milk to 185° and then let it cool down to under 110°, before adding yogurt?
I did it all wrong, used 1 TBS of regular Greek Yogurt, mixed it into warm half & half... then put it in the warmer for 6+ hrs. It didn't seem to be working, very liquid, so I turned it off & left it in there overnight... when I went to get it out to feed to the dog I noticed it had somewhat set up... so I put it in a strainer & left it in the fridge for 6 hrs. It didn't really drain off much & when I tasted it was "bland" like cottage cheese. So the dog got some really yummy cream on her food! Oh well, I'll see if I can find "starter" somewhere. I do think it would be cheaper to buy the cream then the store-bought. Does yours come out sour & thick? I would imagine they add some kind of thickener to the store-bought.
Today heavy-duty cleaning had to take the place of my normal elliptical or walking... but as far as I understand, that's primal.
Hope y'all had a great day!
Old 09-29-2013, 10:49 PM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 148.4/137.5/130
WOE: HDE/FF
Too much willy nilly is not only getting me nowhere fast, I'm in danger of some serious back tracking. After a very disappointing clothing shopping trip and a less than stellar weigh in I realize it’s time to get my little butt back in gear. Saturday I made a commitment to myself for 45 days to follow Primal as much as humanly as possible. No grains or sugar. Avoid legumes and starchy, high glycemic foods. I'm going to opt for organic whenever possible and avoid soy oil and much as I can. I'll allow the occasional low sugar dark chocolate and normally allowed Primal fruits. I'm not going to stress about a little hidden sugar or flour in sauces or dressings but will pick the least offensive as possible. I also plan to focus more on slow burn. 45 days will get me to the middle of November right before DH's birthday and the holidays. It will then be my objective to maintain through the holidays. I believe this is a commitment I can honestly adhere and I finally feel ready.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:05 AM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I did it all wrong, used 1 TBS of regular Greek Yogurt, mixed it into warm half & half... then put it in the warmer for 6+ hrs. It didn't seem to be working, very liquid, so I turned it off & left it in there overnight... when I went to get it out to feed to the dog I noticed it had somewhat set up... so I put it in a strainer & left it in the fridge for 6 hrs. It didn't really drain off much & when I tasted it was "bland" like cottage cheese. So the dog got some really yummy cream on her food! Oh well, I'll see if I can find "starter" somewhere. I do think it would be cheaper to buy the cream then the store-bought. Does yours come out sour & thick? I would imagine they add some kind of thickener to the store-bought.
Today heavy-duty cleaning had to take the place of my normal elliptical or walking... but as far as I understand, that's primal.
Hope y'all had a great day!
Oh dear...nothing more disappointing than a culinary mishap!!! You can buy starter online and there is an easy way around not heating the milk and that is to use UHT milk (not sure if you have it there, but you buy it in tetra packs on the supermarket shelves) You use it straight out of the carton without heating because it has already been heated during the Ultra Heat Treatment process (UHT). And you mix in about 1/3 cup of milk powder with the milk and starter and this gets it thick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post
Too much willy nilly is not only getting me nowhere fast, I'm in danger of some serious back tracking. After a very disappointing clothing shopping trip and a less than stellar weigh in I realize it’s time to get my little butt back in gear. Saturday I made a commitment to myself for 45 days to follow Primal as much as humanly as possible. No grains or sugar. Avoid legumes and starchy, high glycemic foods. I'm going to opt for organic whenever possible and avoid soy oil and much as I can. I'll allow the occasional low sugar dark chocolate and normally allowed Primal fruits. I'm not going to stress about a little hidden sugar or flour in sauces or dressings but will pick the least offensive as possible. I also plan to focus more on slow burn. 45 days will get me to the middle of November right before DH's birthday and the holidays. It will then be my objective to maintain through the holidays. I believe this is a commitment I can honestly adhere and I finally feel ready.
Oh Terri, that's not good! Chin up Sometimes it feels good to make a renewed commitment to yourself and really put your focus into what you want to achieve. Maybe 2 or 3 days of M&E might help you get started? It's what I always do if I've lost my way a bit. As you well know it's awesome to reduce your hunger, get rid of your cravings and get your head back in the game Or you could do the Whole30 challenge?

Don't beat yourself up. When I first started Primal I was doing great and then fell into the trap, about a week in, of allowing myself too many of the yummy primal baking treats etc. It derailed me for about a week, I did M&E for 2 days to give myself a kick in the butt and then it was 'game on'!!

A new WOE and thinking can be very difficult to get your head around sometimes but I think you've totally got this. You can do it And remember, we are here to help cheer you along from the sidelines and give you the encouragement you need

Last edited by tashydoll; 09-30-2013 at 02:10 AM..
Old 09-30-2013, 02:11 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Free Sweet Pea View Post
Thanks heaps for the warm welcome! I let my yogurt set my the electric oven... temperature turned off, but the light bulb turned on, wrapped in a big, warm, thick towel. I usually make individual pint canning jars, filled halfway up. Then, I can just grab a jar in the mornings, and add whatever I want to the top of the jar, and run. It's a pain to stir starter into each jar, but it's worth it in the long run. I use Fage brand Greek Yogurt as my starter culture.
You are welcome.... it's good to have you here
Old 09-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #70
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Oh Terri, that's not good! Chin up Sometimes it feels good to make a renewed commitment to yourself and really put your focus into what you want to achieve. Maybe 2 or 3 days of M&E might help you get started? It's what I always do if I've lost my way a bit. As you well know it's awesome to reduce your hunger, get rid of your cravings and get your head back in the game Or you could do the Whole30 challenge?
Morning Natasha, back! Actually this is a very positive kick in the behind. I think you might be right about the baked stuff. I went ahead and made the banana bread since I had the bananas just right. DH tried to throw them out thinking I had forgotten them.
And oh Mama that banana bread is awesome. I think I'll enjoy it again this morning and then take a break. M&E is not a bad idea for a couple days. It sure knocks the appetite out.

Have a great week all!
TerriMM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:10 AM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Oh dear...nothing more disappointing than a culinary mishap!!! You can buy starter online and there is an easy way around not heating the milk and that is to use UHT milk (not sure if you have it there, but you buy it in tetra packs on the supermarket shelves) You use it straight out of the carton without heating because it has already been heated during the Ultra Heat Treatment process (UHT). And you mix in about 1/3 cup of milk powder with the milk and starter and this gets it thick
Thanks, I just assumed it was the same as making yogurt & kefir. I used to make them all the time. So I didn't even look up a recipe until after I started it.

Quote:
Maybe 2 or 3 days of M&E might help you get started? It's what I always do if I've lost my way a bit. As you well know it's awesome to reduce your hunger, get rid of your cravings and get your head back in the game Or you could do the Whole30 challenge?
Are those clearly spelled out somewhere on the site? Or in the book? All I've seen on the 30 DC is the basics. Which is a permanent change for me...

Terri its good to come out the other side of that stuff "motivated" that's for sure... use the negative to kick-start you into positive action, good plan.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #72
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Deb,
Thanks, I’m feeling it this morning. My last banana bread treat made a bloated point to me this morning. I think I’ll be saving that recipe for the holidays. It’s that good!

M&E is just Meat & Eggs. Anyway, all day. Knocks the appetite into next week. There are no real hard and fast rules; some add fat, mayo, butter, and avocado. Some add a few veggies like salad, etc. But the more M&E the better. Here’s a link to the most current thread.

Meat & Eggs: Sailing in September
Old 09-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Morning Natasha, back! Actually this is a very positive kick in the behind. I think you might be right about the baked stuff. I went ahead and made the banana bread since I had the bananas just right. DH tried to throw them out thinking I had forgotten them.
And oh Mama that banana bread is awesome. I think I'll enjoy it again this morning and then take a break. M&E is not a bad idea for a couple days. It sure knocks the appetite out.

Have a great week all!
Well I'm glad you like my banana bread but not glad that it put you into a bit of a tailspin Don't try the carrot cake then because I had real trouble staying away from that!! I have to freeze the cakes in pieces otherwise it's too tempting! M&E will definitely sort you out I think
Old 09-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #74
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

DH and I made a pact on the way to work to freeze it when we got home. He loves it as much as me. That is totally going to be a holiday favorite. The good news is I'm totally not hungry for lunch.

I have a crockpot chicken stew planned for tomorrow since I'll be home late, so sticking with basic Primal for the next couple days. Then I think I'll take your advice and do a couple M&E days.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Are those clearly spelled out somewhere on the site? Or in the book? All I've seen on the 30 DC is the basics. Which is a permanent change for me...
As Terri mentioned, M&E is meat and eggs... have a look at the link she posted as there are heaps of us there and the information is very helpful if you are looking to give your body a little kick start from time to time.

As far as the Whole 30 goes, it is still based around Paleo but suggests removing any foods that have a negative psychological effect on how you feel. So for instance if you find yourself turning to certain Paleo foods for emotional comfort and such (eg. baked Paleo goods or eating excessive amounts of honey, nuts etc.) then you can cut them out for a period of time to readjust your way of eating/thinking. It's kind of used to focus yourself and work out what your eating triggers are and such. Well that's how I view it anyway, I could be wrong and am willing to hear from anyone who knows more about it than me I've not done it myself yet but may give it a try in the future. Just getting my head around all the other stuff first
Old 09-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #76
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
As Terri mentioned, M&E is meat and eggs... have a look at the link she posted as there are heaps of us there and the information is very helpful if you are looking to give your body a little kick start from time to time.

As far as the Whole 30 goes, it is still based around Paleo but suggests removing any foods that have a negative psychological effect on how you feel. So for instance if you find yourself turning to certain Paleo foods for emotional comfort and such (eg. baked Paleo goods or eating excessive amounts of honey, nuts etc.) then you can cut them out for a period of time to readjust your way of eating/thinking. It's kind of used to focus yourself and work out what your eating triggers are and such. Well that's how I view it anyway, I could be wrong and am willing to hear from anyone who knows more about it than me I've not done it myself yet but may give it a try in the future. Just getting my head around all the other stuff first
Whole 30 days without baked goods for me.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:09 PM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
DH and I made a pact on the way to work to freeze it when we got home. He loves it as much as me. That is totally going to be a holiday favorite. The good news is I'm totally not hungry for lunch.

I have a crockpot chicken stew planned for tomorrow since I'll be home late, so sticking with basic Primal for the next couple days. Then I think I'll take your advice and do a couple M&E days.
Good plan That is the good thing about the banana bread though, it's super filling

Was also thinking, when I first started Primal I made sure I tracked absolutely everything I was eating, exercise and my weight so I could look at the correlations between my intake and my weight. I'm about to start doing it again as I've gained a kilo (2.2lbs) as I think I've become a bit lax Is this something that might help you?
Old 09-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #78
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So Tash,
You mentioned you had a couple miss steps to start with a then the weight just started falling off. What was your sweet spot for loss, food wise?
Old 09-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #79
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Two great minds think a like. Good idea!
Old 09-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Whole 30 days without baked goods for me.
I know!! I feel exactly the same way
Old 09-30-2013, 04:17 PM   #81
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the info & thread girls I'm probably going to keep on asking questions till I get my book.
Terri that's good that your dh agrees with freezing the bread... does he struggle with wt. too? My dh is thin, so I cook totally different for him. Although I quit baking years ago & just buy & freeze baking for him.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
So Tash,
You mentioned you had a couple miss steps to start with a then the weight just started falling off. What was your sweet spot for loss, food wise?
For me it was in the range of 1300 cals, minus about 300 cals for exercising 40 mins on the elliptical trainer and fat around 55%, carbs around 15% and protein around 30%. I was definitely fine give or take a bit around those numbers but that was what I worked towards. I could post a typical day's menu for you if you'd like??
Old 09-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #83
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yep, DH is a short pleasing plump fellow, just like me. He's trying very hard to get on the low carb band wagon as it really works for him too. Breakfasts and Dinners are no problem. His nemesis is lunches, he's a sandwich eater and there are only so many salads he can stand. I just got him some low carb wraps and pitas to help him out. He's not far enough along or committed enough to go grain free. I wish I had better ideas for boy lunches, packed, with no microwave available. He's a microscope technician and eats while he works so there aren't a lot of options. Salads, meat rolls and I'm out. Any suggestions would be welcome!!
Old 09-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #84
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
For me it was in the range of 1300 cals, minus about 300 cals for exercising 40 mins on the elliptical trainer and fat around 55%, carbs around 15% and protein around 30%. I was definitely fine give or take a bit around those numbers but that was what I worked towards. I could post a typical day's menu for you if you'd like??
That would be great thanks!
Old 09-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Yep, DH is a short pleasing plump fellow, just like me. He's trying very hard to get on the low carb band wagon as it really works for him too. Breakfasts and Dinners are no problem. His nemesis is lunches, he's a sandwich eater and there are only so many salads he can stand. I just got him some low carb wraps and pitas to help him out. He's not far enough along or committed enough to go grain free. I wish I had better ideas for boy lunches, packed, with no microwave available. He's a microscope technician and eats while he works so there aren't a lot of options. Salads, meat rolls and I'm out. Any suggestions would be welcome!!
Ok here are some of my lunch ideas for you and hubby:

* Zucchini & bacon fritters (you make them in the evening and they can be eaten a few days afterwards) very filling and yummy
* Atkins minute muffin done in a square container, cut in half and used as bread for a sandwich.
* Meatloaf made with veggies and almond flour (made the night before and eaten for a couple of days or frozen)
* Pork meatballs/rissoles (made with just pork & spices, no eggs or anything needed)
* Endurance crackers I posted earlier in the thread are really great to have cheese and tomato on. Or ham, chicken or anything else you can think of.
* Whole roasted chicken the night before and divided into portions to take for lunch a few days.

Will post some more if I think of any!!
Old 09-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That would be great thanks!
Here you go. Obviously this wasn't for every day but just an idea of a typical day for me It's in 2 parts because I couldn't get all the info on the same page.

Diary1.jpg

Diary2.jpg
Old 09-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #87
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I was looking for the Endurance crackers ingredients this weekend. I'll probably make a stop at Whole Foods this week. They sound super yummy. I'll look up the other recipes.

I'm working on my tracker (whoops almost called it by name without thinking ) as we speak. I think I will track for a while until I get my rhythm down.

So are you saying you were doing 1300 before or after exercise? DH is getting used to me. I had a bag of mixed nuts over the weekend and he was about to throw the bag away and stopped to ask me if I needs to track my calories
Old 09-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #88
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Here you go. Obviously this wasn't for every day but just an idea of a typical day for me It's in 2 parts because I couldn't get all the info on the same page.

Attachment 51576

Attachment 51577
Thanks!
Old 09-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I was looking for the Endurance crackers ingredients this weekend. I'll probably make a stop at Whole Foods this week. They sound super yummy. I'll look up the other recipes.

I'm working on my tracker (whoops almost called it by name without thinking ) as we speak. I think I will track for a while until I get my rhythm down.

So are you saying you were doing 1300 before or after exercise? DH is getting used to me. I had a bag of mixed nuts over the weekend and he was about to throw the bag away and stopped to ask me if I needs to track my calories
It was around 1300 before exercise, but some days when I wasn't hungry it was usually less but I allowed for 1300 knowing I should still lose on this amount and it gave me a bit of leeway for 'hungry' days.

Those crackers are really yummy and very filling. A word of warning, only eat a couple and have a drink of water as they tend to expand in your stomach. If you eat too many thinking that you aren't filling up and then you have a drink... well, let's say that the expansion is VERY uncomfortable

Hahaha, men are funny! My husband doesn't even ask anymore, he just lets me go about my business even when he wonders what the heck I'm doing! He has no problem with his weight (I envy him so much): he's 6" and weighs about 185lbs... mind you, he's a PE teacher and is pretty fit
Old 09-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #90
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Hahaha, men are funny! My husband doesn't even ask anymore, he just lets me go about my business even when he wonders what the heck I'm doing! He has no problem with his weight (I envy him so much): he's 6" and weighs about 185lbs... mind you, he's a PE teacher and is pretty fit
Doesn't sound like anything to complain about