Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 12:56 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tashydoll
WOE: Primal/occasional M&E
Start Date: LC since 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeetle View Post
I have to admit I am not a strict adhearant to primal - I dont do the 80-20 thing. Mind you, last night I ate some cheap shop sausages and judging from the amount of bloating and glurgling going on, they were half flour anyway

its odd eating this way, no changes on the scale beyond maybe 100gms up or down.

I tried making the minicheese cakes with kiwifruit. Yeah, nah, will not be doing that again

Havent really got any new reciepes at the moment. Im getting pretty focused on the holiday. Only 6 sleeps to go
Um yeah, kiwi fruit in with cheesecake... probably not really what I'd be tempted to eat either! Did you incorporate it into the mixture or just on top? I personally like my cheesecake plain (with a bit of lemon juice) so I can't imagine it with kiwi!!
tashydoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2013, 01:32 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post
Energy is great. I was even inspired to work out last night.

I'm not weighing until Friday, but I put on jeans for my seminar today that I'm not usually comfortable in and they're just fine. I got stuck with sandwiches at the seminar. So I just accepted it as my 20% off meal (not what I would have chosen), skipped the chips and I'm back to plan. Funny though on my way back to the office I was thinking about picking up a bad treat just because I had been non-compliant and I wasn't even hungry. Next seminar (Friday) is a breakfast event at a fancy restaurant, so I'm hoping they will have higher end and more compliant faire. But I will make sure not to go there hungry.
That's great to hear Terri... I found the energy part to be the biggest bonus... even more so than the weight loss personally

Here's to hoping for bacon & egg buffet breakfast without the bakery temptations!
Old 09-25-2013, 02:16 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
Lol, not holiday as in a festival, holiday as in going away.

Im going overseas for my 40th, and while Im there, I am getting a breast augmentation because losing so much weight has made my poor pathetic boobs become mere wrinkles on my chest. Well nearly my abdomen really.

The cheesecake idea came about because I had made my last batch with the zest and juice of a couple of tangelos and they were yummy. As part of my 'empty the fridge and cupboards before going away' deal I thought I'd give kiwifruit a bash. And I wont do that again, YUK!

Actually dinner this week has become progressivley more creative. I've never had to think so hard about leftovers before. In the old days I would have just heated up whatever, and either cooked some potatoes, or slapped a loaf of bread on the table. Tonight we had a roughly chopped onion/leftover sausages/tinned tomatoes/basil/garlic stew kind of thing, with shirataki noodles. It was....interesting
Old 09-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 148.4/137.5/130
WOE: HDE/FF
I was kind of thinking that after my holiday question How exciting, a new you! (on top of the new you of your own creation )

I hear you on the leftovers. I tried to talk DH into broccoli, cauliflower, hamburger casserole with Alfredo sauce last night. No sale

Thanks Tashy. I don't think I'm going to risk it and just eat before I go. Today after the sandwich I definitely don't have that slimmer feeling of yesterday. And for me that kind of stuff just isn't worth the stall.
TerriMM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/134/128
WOE: Carb Nite to tweak~
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.& Tweaking
Ah, good for you, on the holiday & restructuring!
I hope Terri that you hadn't gone to the trouble of making that casserole for dh! My DH isn't too adventurous either. Doesn't need to diet either.
I'm not very creative with cooking... just stick with veggies & meat mostly.
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Okay so I'm calling this "practice" week. I had a piece of ham with my muffin instead of fruit today. Does the ham have nitrates? Probably so. Note to self "shop for nitrate free ham". It worked though wasn't hungry 'till lunch. Burger patty with cheese and a couple cherry tomatoes for lunch and I'm feeling pretty happy with myself. Went to the market, breezed by the cake pops but a little snacky. Baked pea pods, not a grain, aside from a little corn oil no other bad or unpronounceable ingredients and since I haven't had any fruit I have carbs to burn. Half way through the bag it occurs to me, I'll bet these are legumes I never thought of them that way before, sure enough.

Okay tomorrow's another day. I have a BAB planned. Ham (whatever) is diced ready to throwin the pan to scramble with a couple eggs. I do not plan to have anything at the seminar aside from coffee. They always have lovely strawberries, so if I'm cornered into having something that will be my out. I have spaghetti squash and alfredo sauce packed for lunch that I love, so no hardship there.

I can't believe I'm stumbling over my feet here. I've been low, low carb for so long it's like I don't know how to play in the outside world
Old 09-25-2013, 09:46 PM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good learning day for you Terri, I'd be done in by all the salt. Thanks for sharing, I wouldn't have known peas were out.

I totally enjoyed my breakfast this morning... GY, sliced apple, cinnamon, flax seed & coconut. Then today on Dr Oz, he said the perfect combo for digestion is: Yogurt & flax seeds! Funny Oh, and no "hunger" from the apple. Got smart & had my avocado at "snack-time" since I had the fruit & yogurt for breakfast. I'm still a bit chicken to add too many carbs & calories. step by step... my book won't get here till sometime next week, or at worst 2 weeks. I'm still pretty lost on his forum. So good to have you gals here!

Old 09-25-2013, 10:21 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Hmmm, I would have got a deep dish, put the casserole on the bottom, cooked and mashed the cauli and brocoli and spread that on top and then poured the alfresco sauce on top, and then sprinkled some cheese on top and then baked 30 mins or so until the cheese melted and went brown and bubbly. Then told DH it was cottage pie or something

RE: the yogurt and flax seeds, we have something at home we call 'dinosaur yogurt' - I have young people here. We take yogurt, then sprinkle over a mix of any of the following...chia seeds, flax seeds, pine nuts, sultana's, craisens, raisens, pumpkin seeds, almond flakes....

Since we are still in fridge emptying phase, dinner tonight is chicken wings, bacon, egg plant fries and egg salad
lilbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:56 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Okay so I'm calling this "practice" week. I had a piece of ham with my muffin instead of fruit today. Does the ham have nitrates? Probably so. Note to self "shop for nitrate free ham". It worked though wasn't hungry 'till lunch. Burger patty with cheese and a couple cherry tomatoes for lunch and I'm feeling pretty happy with myself. Went to the market, breezed by the cake pops but a little snacky. Baked pea pods, not a grain, aside from a little corn oil no other bad or unpronounceable ingredients and since I haven't had any fruit I have carbs to burn. Half way through the bag it occurs to me, I'll bet these are legumes I never thought of them that way before, sure enough.

Okay tomorrow's another day. I have a BAB planned. Ham (whatever) is diced ready to throwin the pan to scramble with a couple eggs. I do not plan to have anything at the seminar aside from coffee. They always have lovely strawberries, so if I'm cornered into having something that will be my out. I have spaghetti squash and alfredo sauce packed for lunch that I love, so no hardship there.

I can't believe I'm stumbling over my feet here. I've been low, low carb for so long it's like I don't know how to play in the outside world
I know how it feels when you first start out... upping your carbs definitely doesn't come naturally after so long without and it seems to be tinged with a bit of guilt. I try not to worry too much about every single ingredient because I would just stress about it all the time and it would make eating miserable I just do the best I can with what I have on hand and try to make sure I have the right ingredients in the house to make things a little easier. I don't think a little bit of nitrate is going to kill you either

I also read on a Primal website that the inclusion of some legumes (particularly raw peas/beans) are ok on occasion and also if you don't have an adverse reaction to them (however, some people strongly disagree and stick to this WOE dogmatically). Meh...I try to think of primal/paleo as a guideline to eating properly and also listen to my body and watch the reactions to certain foods. I'm kind of of the belief that if you eat something that has been grown and it is not processed AND you feel ok after doing so, then how bad can it really be for you?? Just my views of course and everyone has a different opinion on this I'm trying not to be so strict about my thoughts on food anymore...will see how I go.

Best of luck with the breakfast tomorrow... good idea not to go there hungry also!

Last edited by tashydoll; 09-26-2013 at 12:03 AM..
Old 09-26-2013, 12:04 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hmmm, I would have got a deep dish, put the casserole on the bottom, cooked and mashed the cauli and brocoli and spread that on top and then poured the alfresco sauce on top, and then sprinkled some cheese on top and then baked 30 mins or so until the cheese melted and went brown and bubbly. Then told DH it was cottage pie or something

RE: the yogurt and flax seeds, we have something at home we call 'dinosaur yogurt' - I have young people here. We take yogurt, then sprinkle over a mix of any of the following...chia seeds, flax seeds, pine nuts, sultana's, craisens, raisens, pumpkin seeds, almond flakes....

Since we are still in fridge emptying phase, dinner tonight is chicken wings, bacon, egg plant fries and egg salad
Dinners sounds good Lil....yummo. We're having twice cooked asian pork belly, with cauliflower mash and steamed greens
Old 09-26-2013, 12:06 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyL View Post
Good learning day for you Terri, I'd be done in by all the salt. Thanks for sharing, I wouldn't have known peas were out.

I totally enjoyed my breakfast this morning... GY, sliced apple, cinnamon, flax seed & coconut. Then today on Dr Oz, he said the perfect combo for digestion is: Yogurt & flax seeds! Funny Oh, and no "hunger" from the apple. Got smart & had my avocado at "snack-time" since I had the fruit & yogurt for breakfast. I'm still a bit chicken to add too many carbs & calories. step by step... my book won't get here till sometime next week, or at worst 2 weeks. I'm still pretty lost on his forum. So good to have you gals here!
Hi Debby, thanks for joining in the conversation ... I love seeing new people!! I'm just about to go and make some Greek yoghurt after reading this, you've inspired my breakfast for tomorrow Hope to see you around here more!

Last edited by tashydoll; 09-26-2013 at 12:14 AM..
Old 09-26-2013, 01:08 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Dogmatic paleo..... nah, not me

I would say my version of it is loosely based on the maintainace form of atkins, but without grains since I've proven any grain causes me issue.I also still wont eat rice, wheat, soy, potato or things made of them

I allow all dairy except drinking a glass of milk because I hate the stuff lol. All veges are good although I am cautious about the amounts of the starchy ones. I only eat potatoes as fries and that only on date night with hubby which is currently about once a fortnight. I dont have any sugar, and still wont take honey or maple syrup and I do still use stevia and splenda. That decision came about because even in my carby days, I knew eating sugar made me feel sick so I never had a sweet tooth. I eat a bit of fruit now, although havent tried an actual banana. I do eat some baking, but not much.

I still have strong meat and egg tendancies - I think thats because i enjoyed eating that way and the meals are very fast to make. I would like to lose a little more weight, but Im not so fussed right now.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:03 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Dogmatic paleo..... nah, not me

I would say my version of it is loosely based on the maintenance form of atkins, but without grains since I've proven any grain causes me issue.I also still wont eat rice, wheat, soy, potato or things made of them

I allow all dairy except drinking a glass of milk because I hate the stuff lol. All veges are good although I am cautious about the amounts of the starchy ones. I only eat potatoes as fries and that only on date night with hubby which is currently about once a fortnight. I dont have any sugar, and still wont take honey or maple syrup and I do still use stevia and splenda. That decision came about because even in my carby days, I knew eating sugar made me feel sick so I never had a sweet tooth. I eat a bit of fruit now, although haven't tried an actual banana. I do eat some baking, but not much.

I still have strong meat and egg tendencies - I think thats because i enjoyed eating that way and the meals are very fast to make. I would like to lose a little more weight, but Im not so fussed right now.
Yeah, me neither... some people get a little crazy and evangelic about it

I think knowing your body and how it reacts to things is key. Wheat and processed sugar are also complete no-no's for me, I also don't eat white potato if I can avoid it; nowadays I do eat a little sweet potato though. I do have some honey in baking sometimes but still use stevia on occasion or a combination of both. Very rarely (maybe once every 6 months) I might eat some brown rice, but a very small portion. I mostly just stick to my meat, veggies, eggs, dairy, nuts, fruit & seeds and find I can pretty much make anything that most regular people eat out of those things, so I never feel like I'm missing out

Last edited by tashydoll; 09-26-2013 at 03:05 AM..
Old 09-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You guys make me feel a lot better thanks! I go forth de-stressed.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
You guys make me feel a lot better thanks! I go forth de-stressed.
That's what we're here for
Old 09-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You're a doll!!

With my prepared, de-stressed self I sailed right through the seminar no problem.

I'm working on my new perspective remembering and cherishing the "life" element here without getting hung up on the details. Thank you ladies for reminding me of that!
Old 09-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
You're a doll!!

With my prepared, de-stressed self I sailed right through the seminar no problem.

I'm working on my new perspective remembering and cherishing the "life" element here without getting hung up on the details. Thank you ladies for reminding me of that!
Great work! Glad you got through your seminar

You've got it exactly right though, the "life" element is what it's all about. Some days it's easy to get bogged down in the minutia
Old 09-26-2013, 10:20 PM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the welcome. Enjoy your GY today?
Glad you came through your seminar stress-free Terri. Stress is the worst.

I tried eating fermented cabbage yesterday... it was definitely too much salt for me. Will have to watch out for that.
Keep on keeping on!
Old 09-26-2013, 11:39 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome. Enjoy your GY today?
Glad you came through your seminar stress-free Terri. Stress is the worst.

I tried eating fermented cabbage yesterday... it was definitely too much salt for me. Will have to watch out for that.
Keep on keeping on!
I don't know what I was thinking Debby... I didn't allow for the time that it would need to sit there overnight, it was ready this morning but needed to be chilled before I could eat it! So I made a yummy paleo 'museli' out of toasted almonds, walnuts, sunflower, pumpkin and chia seeds with apple, dates, & dried apricots pulsed in my blender for a couple of seconds served with almond milk... it was delicious. My GY will be ready for an after dinner snack tonight

When you say fermented cabbage, do you mean like sauerkraut??
Old 09-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, fancy muesli ! And you made your own GY? Cool! I should try that, have some extra cream...
Yes, it tastes like sauerkraut, but it says fermented... comes in a bag in the produce section. I've heard so much about it being so good for digestion & noticed it mentioned on Mikes b. Skipped it yesterday & my wt. is back down. I suspect it should be even lower but tweaked my back last night. That's usually good for 1-2 lbs of swelling. So I'm taking it as a good sign.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Paleo|Primal Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashydoll View Post
Hi Debby, thanks for joining in the conversation ... I love seeing new people!! I'm just about to go and make some Greek yoghurt after reading this, you've inspired my breakfast for tomorrow Hope to see you around here more!
Well, I've been missing in action, from LCF for a long time. I'm new to the Paleo WOE and I'm still confused. But, I'm enjoying this conversation, and I also make my own Greek yogurt!
Sugar Free Sweet Pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Welcome Sweet Pea!

I'm still dazed and confused as well. You're welcome to figure it out with us!
Old 09-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Thanks!
Old 09-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Free Sweet Pea View Post
Well, I've been missing in action, from LCF for a long time. I'm new to the Paleo WOE and I'm still confused. But, I'm enjoying this conversation, and I also make my own Greek yogurt!

Me too on the confused... I'm doing primal, waiting for my book to arrive, but having success. So happy I found it.
Also started some GY right after posting. My new food-dryer has a setting for yogurt, so perfect time to try it out.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Me too on the confused... I'm doing primal, waiting for my book to arrive, but having success. So happy I found it.
Also started some GY right after posting. My new food-dryer has a setting for yogurt, so perfect time to try it out.
Thanks, Debbie!

I've been making a Pumpkin Pudding. I worked on "Libby's Pumpkin Pie Recipe". I bake it in a Pyrex bowl with no crust, refrigerate, and eat like pudding.

2 cups Pumpkin Purée
1 can Coconut Milk
2 eggs
Honey or Maple Syrup to taste
Pumpkin Pie Spice to taste

Bake at 425° for 15 minutes.
Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes, until knife comes out clean.

It's really good!

Last edited by Sugar Free Sweet Pea; 09-27-2013 at 12:09 PM..
Old 09-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

I ate my first banana in six months, yesterday.

I have a side of chunky fries with my steak last night.

I lost 1.1 pounds.

Such a weird feeling
Old 09-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Wow, fancy muesli ! And you made your own GY? Cool! I should try that, have some extra cream...
Yes, it tastes like sauerkraut, but it says fermented... comes in a bag in the produce section. I've heard so much about it being so good for digestion & noticed it mentioned on Mikes b. Skipped it yesterday & my wt. is back down. I suspect it should be even lower but tweaked my back last night. That's usually good for 1-2 lbs of swelling. So I'm taking it as a good sign.
Yes the muesli is super yummy and keeps me full for hours I have a yoghurt pot and the thermos-type thing it sits in and I use an organic/natural yoghurt culture starter. I make a plain one and that way I can add in any flavours I like depending on how I'm feeling on the day. This morning I'm going to do the museli with it

Quote:
Sweet Pea... so good to have you on board for the journey! We are all kind of new at this so we'll fumble along together and give each other some encouragement along the way. Hope to see more of you here

Quote:
Thanks, Debbie!

I've been making a Pumpkin Pudding. I worked on "Libby's Pumpkin Pie Recipe". I bake it in a Pyrex bowl with no crust, refrigerate, and eat like pudding.

2 cups Pumpkin Purée
1 can Coconut Milk
2 eggs
Honey or Maple Syrup to taste
Pumpkin Pie Spice to taste

Bake at 425° for 15 minutes.
Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes, until knife comes out clean.

It's really good!
Thanks heaps for the recipe...feel free to add more as they come up

Quote:
I ate my first banana in six months, yesterday.

I have a side of chunky fries with my steak last night.

I lost 1.1 pounds.

Such a weird feeling
Yayyyy Look at you go...having a banana and everything Great work on the loss and overcoming your 'banana-phobia' LOL!
Old 09-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

What's up with the footwear? Do you know where I can read about that?
Thanks.

Oh, found it... /barefoot

Last edited by DebbyL; 09-27-2013 at 04:37 PM..
Old 09-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Footwear??? Am I missing something??
Old 09-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I noticed it being mentioned in the newsletter & went looking. Do a google search for:
primal barefoot
kind of interesting. I ordered a pair of shoes that he recommended because I need to buy some shoes anyway. They'll get here before the book.