Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shantony
Stats: 243/226/150 (5' 2")
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Start Date: Jan 1, 2014
Are there any Very Low Carb Paleo's?

Hi.

I started paleo a month or so ago but realized no weight was coming off. I started paleo to see some improvement in food allergies and to lose weight. I have lost weight in the past on Atkins 72 but I find that I can no longer eat many of the foods I used to eat.

I gained back all the weight I lost on Atkins. Now I'm older. My body has changed again. I'm in my early 40's. I find that I felt better on Paleo but some of the foods I eat have too many carbs in them. I still get that woozy, sugar high feeling after I eat them. Mainly the higher carb vegetables.

I would like to talk to and support other people who are living vlc paleo. Hopefully use this thread to support each other each day and find out what you are eating.
Shantony is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2013, 06:22 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I eat a mosty Paleo diet with the exception of a little cheese. The Paleo people will tell you to eat more of low carb way if you need to lose weight. I try to only use erythritol and stevia for sweeteners. My "falling off the wagon" usually consists of some type of artificial sweetened, so I'm not religious about Paleo. Also, I just responded to a other question on another thread to you. Check out the cold therapy thread. It's what myself and another on here is trying at the moment.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:54 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shantony
Stats: 243/226/150 (5' 2")
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Start Date: Jan 1, 2014
Wow cold therapy seems like a lot. How is it going for you? I think I have to move in steps. Get the paleo thing down first. Right now I'm in the stage of getting the crap out of the house. I have said that I will no longer buy the crap food but I cannot afford to throw everything out.

I bought a garden fresh box and received a bunch of vegetables. I went to the butcher and bought enough meat to last a week or two. So I will be working on eating a paleo meal each time I'm hungry.
Shantony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Golden paleo
WOE: Primal Blueprint
Hi there. I'm a newbie here, in my 50s and started primal (paleo plus a little dairy) a couple of months ago. It's slow going with the weight loss, but I feel great eating this way. I don't count anything, but I know by the way I eat that I stay around 60-100 grams a day and am working on knocking that down to 30-60 -- 30 on most days, but I like to leave room for occasional indulgences. . Just wanted to chime in as a fellow VLC paleo person.
Golden paleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 10Poppies
Stats: Size 16. Marching toward size 6.
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 3/25/13
Hi there, I want to chime in too. I know from experience that low carb works too. Slenderkitty, I'm in the same place as you - low carb worked great in the past but now I'm in my 40's and it's a different ball game. I don't feel too well on dairy or certain veggies anymore, so I want to refine the plan further and make it even cleaner. I'm also interested in natural eating, so it's very interesting -- making low carb also be Paleo.

I think the hard part will be giving up cheese! It's also in finding variety, since you're really just gong to be eating protein and veggies with every meal, plus a few nuts, right? What do you all like to eat?
10Poppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Here's a list of my favorite protein foods: Chicken, turkey, shrimp, chicken livers when I can get them, ground beef, hot dogs and bacon on occasion, fresh wild caught cod, canned wild caught pink Alaskan salmon, canned sardines packed in water, lamb chops, pork chops, eggs. I also eat sour cream and Greek yogurt on occasion. I cook with extra virgin coconut oil and butter mostly. I keep extra virgin olive oil on hand, too. So there you have it - lots of protein foods to choose from! Same with salad and other vegetables. I just pick a few different veggies I'm in the mood for and switch it up from one shopping trip to the next for variety but don't buy everything all at once every time as it gets expensive and goes to waste. About cheese, I love Swiss cheese and cheddar, too, and indulge now and then, especially melted on a burger or in an omelet. I do eat fruit, but sparingly.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Shawneegyrl
Stats: 201/188/160
WOE: Carb Addict Heart Healthy
Start Date: Sept 2013
Low carb, low sugar, paleo

Hi there,

I am new here and starting on a serious low carb plan. Struggling with BP and sugar levels. I am very interested in eating the most basic foods and am on my journey in that direction.

I have several square foot garden squares and am usually very successful with it over the fall, winter and spring. Here in Florida my garden does not do so well from May to late Sept which is frustrating.

I also have chickens for fresh eggs and raise quail for meat. I grow about 1/4 of my food depending on the season. I live in the city, so I am a vigilante chicken/quail owner. Have to be careful !

Cheese is something I would have trouble letting go, but hope to come up with a balance that will allow me to loose @30 lbs. and kiss my BP meds goodby!
Shawneegyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Finding that balance is key. You'll get there!
Old 09-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmcd1070
Stats: pre-op 240/now 167/goal 130
WOE: Organic Low Carb
Start Date: WLS 2-8-11. Atkins (reboot) 4-7-14
I'm doing the Whole30 right now. I wouldn't say it's VERY low carb, compared to doing Atkins Induction. But my carbs are only from veggies and minimal fruit, mostly just berries. Tomorrow will be day 14 and I've lost 8lbs now since starting. It took 4 months on Atkins to lose that much weight. I eat all organic veggies and fruit and only grass-fed beef, free-range organic eggs, etc. I really enjoy this way of eating, I don't even miss the dairy at all and I thought I would. I try to keep my carb intake to less than 30g per day, which is really quite high for me coming from Atkins Induction, but it seems to be working out. I log everything on a food tracking app, so I know exactly how many carbs I'm getting. I think cutting out all FrankenFoods and artificial sweeteners has made a WORLD of difference for me. =)

Last edited by cmcd1070; 09-16-2013 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: oops, named the app I use
cmcd1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcd1070 View Post
I'm doing the Whole30 right now. I wouldn't say it's VERY low carb, compared to doing Atkins Induction. But my carbs are only from veggies and minimal fruit, mostly just berries. Tomorrow will be day 14 and I've lost 8lbs now since starting. It took 4 months on Atkins to lose that much weight. I eat all organic veggies and fruit and only grass-fed beef, free-range organic eggs, etc. I really enjoy this way of eating, I don't even miss the dairy at all and I thought I would. I try to keep my carb intake to less than 30g per day, which is really quite high for me coming from Atkins Induction, but it seems to be working out. I log everything on a food tracking app, so I know exactly how many carbs I'm getting. I think cutting out all FrankenFoods and artificial sweeteners has made a WORLD of difference for me. =)
Very inspiring. I think I am ready to get back to primal myself, but a low carb primal. Don't think I want to completely give up dairy, but I eat only minimal high fat dairy now.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:53 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 10Poppies
Stats: Size 16. Marching toward size 6.
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 3/25/13
Quote:
I think cutting out all FrankenFoods and artificial sweeteners has made a WORLD of difference for me. =)
Congratulations on your success. Very interesting. Do you notice a difference in energy level since dropping the artificial sweeteners? Do you use any type of sweetener at all now (agave, honey etc)?
10Poppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #12
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I follow my own plan & don't really fit any marketed plan but I am probably closest to a low carb version of Paleo.

I avoid processed foods, sugars, grains, dairy, starchy foods, meats from grain-fed animals/fish, GMOs, etc... I'm your basic protein, veggies & healthy fats gal. I make a few things with flax & almond meal but nothing fancy and not every day.

I do eat some organic butter but virgin coconut oil is my go-to fat for cooking. No fruit right now because the organic/toxin-free kind is expensive and fruit really isn't necessary right now. I don't miss it either so I'd rather spend my money on grassfed beef, etc.

The only sweetener I use is stevia. The only one I would consider adding is local honey but I am not doing that now. Agave is extremely unhealthy - Google will explain if you do a search.

I do enjoy coffee & tea regularly. I add stevia to both, never do the bulletproof version. I like my drinks as they are & have many other ways to get my fat.

I love eating this way. I feel like I've come home. This is how I'll eat for life. It really is easy for me. I have no cravings & the longer I go without dairy the less I think about it. I've lost a lot of fat & am still losing well. I look & feel so much better! Life is good.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:57 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: evern83
Stats: 5'9" 172.4 (310/172....160goal)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 7,2006
Hi Slenderkitty, Just wanted to add my 2 cents here. I started Atkins 72 in 2006 and did great. I lost 157lbs and kept it off till the last year. I too am in my (very) early 40's and found that the more I did Atkins, the more weight I was gaining, and it seemed like my whole body just shifted! No matter how strct I was, I kept gaining!!! I just started a modified Whole30 Paleo yesterday. Today was my first day with no coffee, no alcohol, no dairy, no sweetner of any kind!!! I started thinking that I was using to many "fake" low-carb products and I was filling my system with junk!! I am so glad to be starting on a program of REAL organic whole foods.
Keep up the good work!!