Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/229/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Cool...

ray cronise - YouTube
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skinni
Try not to put the ice on top of your lungs. There is a condition caused by condensation... I forget what it's called, but sports mascots try to avoid causing it with their cooling gear.
skinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh I had not heard of that. Thanks.
I am keeping the ice off of the chest and sticking to fatty areas. Jack Kruse believes the ice obliterates fat cells citing how this happens in frost bite victims. Not sure it is true. Apparently Kruse is controversial in some of his claims.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
Well, I have not gotten to do my ice the past two nights. I went to get the ice packs tonight and my DD was using them for her back. Ugh! I didn't realize Jack Kruse was so controversial until a day or so ago when I was googling something. I don't think the Paleo people like him very much.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yeah. I think he might have a problem with mania. He's really intelligent and obviously found a way to go from 360 to a normal 200 pounds at his age and make it stick, which is incredibly unusual. That is what I am interested in.

I've heard him discuss coherently what he did. But I also see he is overly excited about how he sees everything so clearly now and feels he has the keys to the universe. This sounds like classic mania. He seems to be off somewhere with a tin foil hat (figuratively) now worried about waves in the air or something. I get that he is probably not sane, and the most brilliant people have these tendencies. Anyway I think he has some really great ideas.

I would think at least the popular paleo psychologist would notice this and tell her blogger friends that they could be picking on someone who might be high on a chemical imbalance and not really himself. In other words, I don't think he has deceived anyone or has made things up. I think he is high and really believes what he says is real and true.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html

Last edited by Key Tones; 08-21-2013 at 08:19 PM..
Old 08-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sorry you couldn't get to your ice packs!! DD is important; sounds like she has some pain? I hope not.

I'm packed with my four ice bottles. I can't seem to figure out how to place them without getting too cold. I might try a thin sheet tomorrow.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

I have been researching this, and ran across this quote: "The underlying mechanism is thought to be the higher concentration of saturated fatty acids in the subcutaneous fat of neonates that crystallize after a slight decrease in body temperature. The subcutaneous fat in adults has predominantly unsaturated fats, which may explain why popsicle panniculitis occurs almost exclusively in children." This would explain why Zeltiq only reduces fat by 25%.

Last edited by skinni; 08-22-2013 at 08:12 AM..
Old 08-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ah, perhaps we are too old to kill off a lot of fat cells with cold.

I found this tidbit on princeton.org

Outdoor Action Guide to Winter Camping...(skipping to food)
Planning food for winter activities must take into account the great demands the cold weather and physical activity placed on the body along with the difficulty of preparing foods in the winter (it takes time, stove fuel) and having a menu which appeals to the group). Appetite is generally reduced during winter activity even through the food needs of the body have increased. If the meal isn't appealing, it won't get eaten. In some situations you literally need to force yourself to eat.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Another article

Can exercising in cold weather help you burn more calories and lose weight? Find out.

Ben Greenfield,

Get-Fit Guy

March 19, 2012

Have you ever heard that drinking cold water can help you lose weight? This is a popular weight loss theory that Nutrition Diva explores (and explodes) in her book How to Win at Losing. This idea has had many weight loss enthusiasts chugging glasses of icy cold water through the day, getting frequent and uncomfortable brain freezes, and then throwing their hands up in despair when the pounds don’t melt off as promised.

But in reality, although it goes far beyond simply sipping a cool beverage, there actually is some valid scientific evidence that exposure to cold temperatures can help you to lose weight. In this article, you’ll find out if exercising in cold weather helps you burn more calories and if cold temperature exposure helps with fat loss.

The podcast version of this episode is brought to you by Betterment, an easier way to invest. Visit
How Body Temperature Works (google betterment)

On a TEDTalk video in 2010, NASA materials engineer Ray Cronise discussed how to lose weight by exposing the body to cold temperatures. Later, I hosted Ray and author Tim Ferriss on a podcast to discuss How to Manipulate Your Body Temperature to Burn More Fat.

In both these cases, we learned about thermogenesis, which is your body’s process of heat production. Your body works best at an ideal temperature. So when you get cold, or consume something cold (such as ice water), your body must temporarily increase the rate at which you burn calories in order to keep you warm or to warm whatever cold substance that you ingested.

Shivering is a perfect example.

Shivering produces heat as your body burns calories to make the muscles contract, and produce heat in the process.

But your body can produce heat in other ways too. For example, there is a type of fat called “Brown Adipose Tissue” or BAT for short, which is found in high amounts in human babies, and also in hibernating mammals.

This brown fat is able to take free fatty acids, from the body’s own fat stores or from dietary sources of fat, and very efficiently produce heat to keep a baby or hibernating mammal warm. But brown fat is something you can make too: with exposure to cold temperatures, or exercising in cold temperatures, your body can actually convert regular white fat into this calorie-burning brown fat.

Since the Quick and Dirty Tips network was created to give you practical tips that you can easily implement, we’re going to stop the science-speak and move right into how you can utilize the cold to lose weight! But if you want to learn more of the nitty-gritty science behind how cold exposure actually melts the pounds and gives you many other health benefits such as increased thyroid activity and higher hormone levels, I’d recommend visiting the website of Ray Cronise or listening to “How to Manipulate Your Body Temperature to Burn More Fat.”

How to Use Cold Weather to Lose Weight

So now that you know that you can burn more calories when you expose your body to cold temperatures or exercise in the cold, here are 5 practical ways that you can use cold exposure to create more calorie-burning brown fat tissue:
Start and end every day with a cold shower. This is something I’ve personally been doing for the past year. Not only can this type of cold exposure decrease your appetite, making you less likely to eat excessive calories at breakfast or dinner, but the morning shower also jumpstarts your day with calorie-burning thermogenesis.

If you live in a cold climate, go outside to exercise. While the heated indoor gym and health club is certainly comfortable, you’ll burn far more calories by taking it outside. Be ready to be slightly cold as you start into a lower temperature bike ride, run, or brisk walk, but realize that you’ll significantly warm-up within just 10 minutes of activity. Be sure to protect body parts that are cold sensitive, such as your face, hands, and feet, with a scarf, gloves, and wool socks.

Include water exercise. Perhaps you’ve heard of the “Michael Phelps” diet, which was described in a Wall Street Journal article a little while back. The astonishing “diet” contains 12,000 calories per day. Breakfast includes 3 fried-egg sandwiches loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions, and mayonnaise, plus one 5-egg omelet, one bowl of grits, 3 slices of French Toast topped with powdered sugar, and three chocolate-chip pancakes. Lunch was one pound of pasta, two large ham and cheese sandwiches with mayo on white bread, and a 1,000-calorie energy drink. Dinner was another pound of pasta, an entire pizza, and more energy drinks. One reason Michael can eat so many calories and stay thin is that he’s constantly submerged in water, which makes his body have to burn calories to maintain temperature. While you shouldn’t use this as an excuse to indulge in eating unhealthy foods, you should certainly include water exercise as a way to increase your calorie-burning and cold-temperature fat loss. My episode on How to Exercise in Water is the perfect place to get started.

Use ice. Let’s say you live in a warm climate, and you don’t like to exercise in the water. You can still lower your body temperature by using a simple trick with ice. Simply fill your sink or a basin with cold ice water, and submerge your feet in the water (while gritting your teeth) for 5-15 minutes. Your body will respond by increasing calorie-burning to maintain temperature. For a greater, but significantly more unpleasant effect, you can take an ice bath for the same period of time.

Don’t be afraid to shiver. It’s OK to have goosebumps! After I take a cold shower in the morning, I typically keep my body burning extra calories by wandering around the house doing chores and making breakfast while wearing as few clothes as possible. The shivering and goosebumps may be uncomfortable at first, but your body adapts quickly, within as little as two weeks.

Any of the methods above will burn far more calories and jump-start the significant calorie burning benefits of thermogenesis better than simply drinking cold water. If you have more questions about whether cold weather exposure and cold weather exercise can help you lose weight, share them in Comments or on the Get-Fit Guy Facebook page!
Old 08-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Skinni - do you practice CT?
Old 08-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I found my big hard ice packs in the outside freezer and decided to use them. They work well. I out a soft ice pack on my nack(for pain) and them add the big ones on my stomach while wearing my compression undies. I've done this twice today and plan on doing it again before bed. Also, I am taking mostly cold showers and plan to try to do a bath tonight in mostly cold water.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ah, you are getting in a lot of cold treatment!

I feel that I am not getting cold enough. I am sitting here (as usual) with my ice bottle blocks on. I ordered some xl cold packs from Amazon to sit on and put behind my back and on my neck. I think I will get some chills on when these arrive! I found a cool clay one that I used to have but gave my in-laws (and regretted!). Yay! That was the nicest one I ever had.

OK, another article. This one from Seth Roberts, Berkley Psych Prof that wrote Shangri La diet:

Cold Showers Raise Mood

Todd Becker pointed me to this post which is negative about the notion that cold showers raise mood (“empty science”) but you can ignore the negativity and go to the comment that gives a long list of studies that support the idea. Todd has blogged about his use of cold showers.

Todd calls this hormesis. About the mood-raising aspect of cold showers, I’m not so sure. There is a broad correlation between being sleepy and being in a bad mood. So anything that wakes us up is likely to improve our mood. But if cold showers improve one’s response to stress of all sorts — which is less clear — it does seem like hormesis in other contexts. When I think of hormesis I think of two sorts: intra-cellular (e.g., x-ray-like radiation breaks stuff, activating repair systems — radiation hormesis) and extra-cellular (microbes in fermented food activate the immune system). But there are other examples of similar stuff: exercise breaks muscle fibers (which is why you shouldn’t exercise the same muscles two days in a row) and longer-term increases them; bones when broken grow back stronger. If we need a certain amount of thermal or other stress to properly respond to stress that would be another example.

This entry was posted on Saturday, November 27th, 2010 at 10:32 pm and is filed under mood disorders, self-experimentation. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

8 Responses to “Cold Showers Raise Mood”
Greg Says:
November 28th, 2010 at 5:15 am
Interesting. I started having only cold showers a couple of weeks ago to see if I would still get the hives I usually got from hot showers. I no longer got the hives and I also noticed an improved mood.

I don’t know if the heat caused the hives, or if it was prolonged exposure to fluoridated water. Cold showers are usually of short duration, so I might try some short hot showers.

Jonathan Says:
November 29th, 2010 at 11:35 am
I’m a big fan of cold water swimming, and I surf without a wetsuit. I’m out there as many mornings as I can fit in. I never get a cold or flu, and I’m usually pretty upbeat. I never put 2 and 2 together, but it very well could be a result of all that time in the cold surf. I take lukewarm showers, but I’ll try going without any hot water to see if it kicks things up a notch.

Gary Wolf Says:
November 29th, 2010 at 4:19 pm
The mood elevating effect of cold immersion is a common topic among cold water swimmers. I was first exposed to this idea in 2007 by Piotr Wozniak, a sleep and memory researcher. My first experience produced an elevated mood that lasted for about 2 days; but I associated this elation with the rush of doing something that I felt to be risky and coming through it unharmed. (January; Baltic Sea) However, once I’d broken the ice, I started swimming in cold water regularly, and it always elevated my mood. Swimming is fun in general, but swimming in warm water, or swimming in cold water with a wet suit on, does not produce the same after effect of elation. I have never experienced as extended a period of elation as after my first swim; normally, the most noticeable effect lasts about 4 hours, with a lingering effect for the rest of the day.

d-day Says:
November 29th, 2010 at 4:53 pm
I have always loved the feeling of absolute refreshment from cold showers and cold-water swimming ever since I was a little kid. Glad to know I’m not a freak.

Alex Chernavsky Says:
November 29th, 2010 at 9:05 pm
This is intriguing. What are some other non-obvious ways to improve your mood? Is there a summary somewhere?

Nansen Says:
December 1st, 2010 at 3:01 pm
In her book “Treating Bipolar Disorder: A Clinician’s Guide to Interpersonal and Social Rhythm Therapy”, Ellen Frank makes the interesting point that behavioral activation alone (i.e. just doing something) was equally efficacious to a complete cognitive therapy treatment in bringing about a resolution of unipolar depression. (page 102).

Perhaps a cold shower is a good way to get someone to just do something.

Last edited by Key Tones; 08-22-2013 at 09:10 PM..
Old 08-23-2013, 07:03 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Skinni - do you practice CT?
Oh no, I just like to research. LOL

I may be more inclined to put ice on my sore muscles now though.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Last night, I did the ice blocks again.

Tonight, I decided to take the blocks up to the tub and try a cold bath!

I started with lukewarm water and measured the temperature. 75 degrees. Sounds warm but it is not! I put the four gallon frozen bottles of ice in the water. The temp seemed stable a long long time and finally I noticed it dropped to 70. That was when I started to really feel cold. After 30 minutes it dropped to 68 degrees. Ack, I was cold and got out.

I have some hives on my thighs, but it isn't bad. I get hives from heat or too much sun. Or no reason even.

I got out over an hour ago and I am still cold!

This definitely burned more calories. I just don't know how much.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:56 AM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You are braver than me. I have been doing the ice blocks at night for around two hours. I haven't been losing any weight, but my husband and I went shopping Saturday, and I was able to buy a form fitting dress that actually looked good on me. I wouldn't have been able to do that even two weeks ago, so I know that my belly fat has went down. I carry ALL of my fat there. It's awful. Cheers to ice!!
Old 08-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow body reshaping or recomposition is a great result!!!

Yay!
Old 08-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sitting here with my blocks of ice...
Old 08-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Me too!!!
Old 08-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This is the first night not doing my ice in several days. I got home ate and I'm just too tired to do it. Tomorrow....
Old 08-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ah, get some rest!
Old 08-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

How are you doing, KT? Getting your ice in? I a, trying to do several hours tomight.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Cfine! I'm doing well.

Several hours, wow, ambitious! I might get in 1 1/2 tonight.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:56 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OK, I got in two hours with the ice blocks tonight.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm hosting a mother - daughter dinner tonight so I can't do the cold therapy tonight.

I felt really good today, work stress aside.

So far the best day I had was the day after I actually did the ice bath. Second best was today! I bolted right up the big hill and I feel light on my feet. This must be doing something for inflammation!

Last edited by Key Tones; 08-29-2013 at 04:33 PM..
Old 08-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The main reason I wanted to try this was for inflammation purposes. I can't wait to get blood work done and see if its helping. I only got about an hour in tonight. My ice blocks starting leaking out the gel stuff all over my bed. Yuck!!
Old 09-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey KT. How are you doing with your cold therapy? I missed two days, plus ate a bunch of crap. My best friend is getting married so we had a little girls party. It all went downhill, but I'm back on track today. I am about to ice for a couple of hours now.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Cfine!

Thanks for keeping this going. It is hot here today in Seattle! I'm sitting here with the ice blocks on, and I have a cold pack on my lower legs.

Keeping cool!

I arranged a secret birthday party yesterday. It was an all-day thing so I didn't get my CT in. Ah, well...I did get into some treats. Today is another start!

Last edited by Key Tones; 09-01-2013 at 06:01 PM..
Old 09-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've gotten in an hour today. Just feeling too lazy to go and get my ice out of the freezer right now.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm so excited about my purchase today. I bought two extra large ice packs. One of them has clay in it. It says that it will stay colder longer. We shall see.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #60
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: evertd
Stats: 238.5/232.5/180
Start Date: 09/10/2013
Any updates on the effect of the cold therapy? Really curious about this
evertd is offline   Reply With Quote