Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Anadarko
Stats: 170/102/115 Wow!
WOE: Low Carb Paleo
Start Date: Low Carb '99-Paleo '13
Hello Whole30, Hello LCF!

Hi Everyone, I'm on Day 3 of my first Whole30 and, well, so far so good. Hope to find some company on my journey here

I haven't been to lowcarbfriends in years...so long in fact I have no idea what my name and password might have been and I know my meal is different, too. So while I'm officially a newbie, I've been Low Carb (with occasional off roading) since '99.

I'm trying a Whole30 to clean up my act with better quality food, eliminate artificial sweeteners to squelch cravings, and cut (but not eliminate) my caffeine consumption!

I'd love to hear any updated Whole30 stories, or any of your pale, neanderthin, or primal blueprint ones as well!

Brenda
Lost in Chicagoland
108 and Holding!
Anadarko is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: eBungalow
Stats: working toward healthier
WOE: NK
Start Date: July 2010
Hello! This thread tends to be a bit slow. I'm fairly new to paleo after having done low carb for a few years. I'll be interested on reading about your experiences when you post them.

My experience over the past few months has been great. Reduced joint pain, reduced cravings, clearer mind etc.

Best of luck!!
eBungalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thanks eBungalow! I've been low carb as well, since 1999. A year and a half ago I eliminated grains altogether and was amazed at how much better I felt. This is a logical next step, but I've been dragging my feet.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
I have been doing paleo/primal for a little while now. I'm always trying to get this message board up and running lol.. I'm hoping with a little bit of action maybe we can get people regularly posting on here..
I just got my family (son and daughter 7 and 2) aboard with the paleo/primal eating.
Hubby and I have been following for a while now!
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

I imagine kids are a challenge! My husband is not on board and likely won't be unless he has a health crisis or a personality graft. Good for both of you!

This is day 9 of the Whole30, and really, I feel remarkable well. Missing cream in my coffee, and Coke Zero, but not enough to blow it.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Blondie15
Stats: 230/224/150
WOE: Low Carbs/ Tend toward Paleo
Start Date: August 2013
I'm new to the Paleo thing myself. I have been reading up on it, and have also checked out the Whole 30 (would love to hear how that goes for you!) and I'm working on eliminating grains & dairy as of right now. Sugar is an obvious one, but I am still suffering with this addiction. I also tend to crave dairy badly, so it's a challenge for me. I have "It Starts With Food" and would love to figure out exactly what to eat, meal planning is the biggest challenge for me. I would love it if we can all post here more often with each other, I need the support big time!!

"Being fat is hard. Eating low carb is hard. Pick your hard!"
Blondie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Hi Blondie15, how nice to hear from you! You know I've been LC for a number of years, on and off the wagon like so many of us, but mostly on. Then about a year and a half ago I just completely eliminated all grains after realizing how insidiously bread and grains were creeping back---and after reading Wheat Belly as the final straw (although I think there are some specious scienfic arguments in there). I was AMAZED at how much better I felt within two weeks! It's never been worth it to go back to grains or try to work them back--although I admit to offroading on the odd occasion. I recommend to just try eliminating grains as a test if nothing else and just see what the difference might be, even if that's all they can do.

So anyway, it feels like this is the next logical step. I'm interested to see if the Whole30 will quell my still existent sugar cravings, too, Blondie, and so far so good I do miss the cream and splenda in my coffee and would love a Coke Zero right this minute but it's more of an annoyance than a craving that I have to fight.

But I do think it's true that eliminating something completely can stop the craving that makes us believe we can't do without......whatever it is! Low Carb probably saved my health and sanity, but it's still quite possible to LC and eat a lot of really icky, overprocessed stuff if you really want to, and I did

So, I'd love to support you and have some support as well! I think the Whole30 could be an eye opening experience for anyone. As for meal planning, the cookbook Well Fed is absolutely awesome for meal planning suggestions for busy people. Or check out her blog The Clothes Make The Girl - many recipes there and she's a hoot. Check out the Nom Nom Paleo blog for ideas, as well. There are certainly others but those are the ones I keep going back to. The Whole30 site/forum has a wealth of info if you dig enough, too Plus, after a few days, meal planning does seem to become much easier. I really over thought everything.

This is Day 11 and going strong!!!!!

Let me know how you're doing!
Old 08-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Blondie15
Stats: 230/224/150
WOE: Low Carbs/ Tend toward Paleo
Start Date: August 2013
Thank you, Anadarko! Congratulations on staying strong this far! I know how hard it is. I think the longest I made it on my first attempt was two weeks. I am a Coke Zero fiend, too - how ironic.

I am going to look up those blogs for sure. I follow a lot of Paleo pages on social media platforms and that helps me be conscious of it. I personally am doing just fine with the transition back to low carb although I have not started a whole thirty yet. I had a fridge full of yogurt and cheese I didn't want to waste.

I am thinking about starting next week tho - maybe having a partner will help?
Have you had any crazy withdrawal symptoms?
I'm really in awe of you for doing so well! Stay strong, it will be worth it.
Blondie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Well I would be happy to be part of your support system if you decide to Whole30' or just Paleo in general!

No, I haven't had any crazy withdrawal symptoms, thank goodness, although I'm still having a couple of cups of coffee a day, which could have produced some. I was NOT wanting to take that on, too. Nevertheless, without the cream, my caffeine consumption is waaaaaaay down, and it hasn't been bad...more like a wistful longing. oh, Coke Zero.... another very wistful longing!

What I have noticed is a real and consistent increase in energy level. My gosh, am I getting things done! I hope getting more sleep proves to be next💤

Keep me posted, Blondie! That yogurt won't last forever😉
Old 08-24-2013, 06:26 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
How are you doing, Anadarko?? I am thinking that I might try this along with continuing LC in the not so distant future. Diet Dr Pepper is a weakness.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:08 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Hey, I'm doing great! Thanks for asking! This is day 24 and going strong. Yes, I miss Coke zero and coffee with cream and Splenda, but it is good to know that I reeeeeeally can live without the stuff. Sweet cravings drastically reduced. And yes, I am doing an LC version of the Whole 30. No sweet potatoes for example, and minimal fruit. It works fine. I do have an online friend in CA who is doing the month with me, and that has been really helpful for mutual support.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shantony
Stats: 243/226/150 (5' 2")
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Start Date: Jan 1, 2014
I'm going through cravings like mad right now. The kids are not on board. The hubby is though. I have to figure out how to make paleo lunches they will eat and they are in a nut free-egg free school.
Shantony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #13
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
my kids love salads if i let them pick what to put on it... salads can be FUN! or stuffed lettuce leaves (romaine lettuce)
or we make tacos with lettuce leaves... you can make home made chicken nuggets etc.
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Check out the Non Nom Paleo blog. I believe she had an article or series on lunch box meals for kids.

I found giving up all artificial sweeteners really has minimized my own cravings. Plus I don't do the sweet potatoes some Paleo folks are fine with, and i am very careful with fruit. Trying to keep a fat burning metabolism. Still, i observe in myself that emotional disruptions trigger all the same neural pathways they are used to. It is always rather interesting to be left to deal with reality without even my usual little legal comforts.

Last edited by Anadarko; 08-26-2013 at 08:53 PM..
Old 08-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I've ordered the book plus a cookbook and am going to start Sept 9. My husband and I are going on vacation the first week of September so not even going to attempt before then but I will have time to read the book.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Wonderful, PaminKY. And SlenderKitty, hang in there!
Old 09-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmcd1070
Stats: pre-op 240/now 167/goal 130
WOE: Organic Low Carb
Start Date: WLS 2-8-11. Atkins (reboot) 4-7-14
I'm on day 9 of the Whole30. I have done Atkins off and on for years. I did Induction for 4 months and got down to 169lbs.

In 9 days on Whole30 I've lost the same amount. That's pretty awesome =) I'm having INTENSE cravings for things I wouldn't even normally eat, but working on distracting myself. Mind over matter!

I don't miss dairy at all, which is surprising! I just got over some serious fatigue that lasted a few days but I feel more energy now. I am in LOVE with this way of eating. Everything I'm eating is organic, wholesome food.

How is everyone else doing?
cmcd1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Hey you are doing great cmcd! Congratulations! Doing a whole30 is a great learning experience, isnt it?

I may actually do another one next month
Old 09-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmcd1070
Stats: pre-op 240/now 167/goal 130
WOE: Organic Low Carb
Start Date: WLS 2-8-11. Atkins (reboot) 4-7-14
Thank you Anadarko. Yes, it has been very enlightening! I was surprised at the amount of organic veggies and fruits and lean meats you can eat and never make your calorie goal for the day! I am full all day long, and I log every bite I take into ************ (I need accountability!) and I have my calories set to 1000 per day. I am having a VERY hard time eating 1000 calories per day! I usually end up with around 600. I keep getting this big red warning at the end of the day by ************, but I'm honestly not starving, I feel like I'm eating a TON of food!

In the first week, I was waking up STARVING every morning. Now I wake up not the least bit hungry. So it's getting harder to keep eating breakfast, because I've never liked eating when I'm not hungry. But I want to keep my metabolism up.

Has this happened to you? Do you have any suggestions?
cmcd1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

I generally do have trouble getting enthusiastic about breakfast, and it is quite possible to feel full most of the time, which I view as an interesting positive. I've observed that by about 10am I can face a reasonable breakfast, so that is what I have chosen to do even though that's not by the book, so to speak.

I do keep my calories at about...well I'd say probably 1200 to 1400 since I don't need to lose weight, by utilizing good fats. I make olive oil mayo and salad dressings and use them lavishly. I cook with generous amounts of coconut oil. I make guacamole, and/or use avocados in salads or as a side. As long as you are getting adequate protein and those good veggies as a basis, and it sounds like you are, being generous with good fats IMO is the best way to keep a reasonable calorie level, and good for you, as well.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:14 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 10Poppies
Stats: Size 16. Marching toward size 6.
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 3/25/13
Hello, I had never heard of Whole30 until I read your posts here. I just wanted to say thanks for this thread, it's really interesting.

One line from the Whole30 web page really resonated:

"Cut out all the psychologically unhealthy, hormone-unbalancing, gut-disrupting, inflammatory food groups for a full 30 days. Let your body heal and recover from whatever effects those foods may be causing."

I've been doing Atkins '72 for about a month or so, which has helped me feel much better, but so far has not yielded any weight loss. I'd really like to kick it up a notch by focusing on whole foods and eliminating potential problem foods that I might not be aware of.

Did you begin eliminating foods gradually, or did you just go cold turkey and eliminate everything at once?

Perplexity is the beginning of knowledge.
Khalil Gibran
10Poppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:00 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

10Poppies, I was/am LC as well, and have been since 1999. But I am prone to cravings and eating junk, even it it's LC junk. Almost two years ago I decided to give up grains just as an experiment in overcoming temptation. What shocked and amazed me was how much better physically I felt, so I've stayed grain-free except for those occasional human downfalls. But everything else, dairy, legumes, artificial ingredients, etc went on the first day of the whole30.

And you know what, I think I'm going to do another one in October. I've gone back to using too much cream, drinking too much coffee, and using too much Splenda--overall just not being as careful, and sure enough, I don't feel as well either.

I'd say try it! It really is an interesting experience!
Old 09-21-2013, 07:15 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 10Poppies
Stats: Size 16. Marching toward size 6.
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 3/25/13
thanks Anadarko, I think I'll join you for October!
10Poppies is offline   Reply With Quote