Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 07:04 AM   #151
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Uh-oh, I missed my first weigh. My routine was thrown. Had to run early this morning to go to office for last minute work.

I feel good today.

Yesterday's menu, lots of zucchini, avocado, tomatoes and jalapeno. Roast beef (which is easy to eat w/out spice), oysters, brazil nuts and 3 shots of MCT.
Today potatoes, greens, broccoli, salmon and broth.

Great to hear Abigail! Still can't get over this!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2013, 08:18 AM   #152
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
I did weigh. I am back where I was. 195! Super happy!!!

Something changed yesterday. I was ENERGIZED. I felt pent up; I went shopping at lunch. I have been fatigued for so many months. Good gosh...this is a great sign something good is going to happen!!!

I have been having keifer mixed with grass-fed non-homogenized milk (I can't believe we have this at PCC!!!) for breakfast with a square of dark chocolate and one brazil nut (I forgot it this morning ), chia seeds instead of oil in water mid-morning, bland potato soup for lunch, chia seeds mid-afternoon, more bland potato soup before leaving work, then dinner varies but have been having seafood or salmon, salsa mixed with--normandy veg, garbanzo beans I soaked and cooked myself and pineapple chunks and curry powder--end of salsa, Kale Krunch (skipped last night). Before bed, more chia seeds if hungry.

Basically, bland is all day at work. I taste nothing during the day, not even tea. I hate green tea, I've determined, so for my morning caffeine, I break open a bag, dump it in a little water, suck up the leaves with a straw (can't get all of it, which is fine), and dump it.

I can't believe how well this works!

Good to hear things are going well for you guys!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html

Last edited by Key Tones; 07-31-2013 at 08:20 AM..
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:45 AM   #153
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Sunday, don't forget to weigh today! lol

KT, so glad you are back to where you were and feeling energized!

I am down .2 pounds today and am less than 3 pounds from where I was for two years. I started gaining about a year ago and would lose some, and gain it back. Once I get to where I was I still need to lose more weight but I can at least breath a sigh of relief that the steady gain is not going to bring me back to my all time high starting weight.

Have a wonderful day!
Old 08-01-2013, 04:46 AM   #154
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Woohoo! Down 2 more lbs for a total of -7.3 in 10 days!

Never, never, have I ever lost weight this easily! UNBELIEVABLE. Truly. I can't believe it! I added back my RS yesterday and the day before, so it might have helped? Don't know? I am going to continue on until Sat. Then I will give the oil a bit of a break. I don't want to lose the magic. Will start back up on the bland and oil on Monday.

Goodness, KT and Abigail, too!!!

Marika, keep us updated!

Hmmm, maybe I will forget to weigh again for a couple of days?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 08-01-2013 at 04:48 AM..
Old 08-01-2013, 04:50 AM   #155
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/115-120
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
My goodness, you're all doing so well. Congratulations.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:15 AM   #156
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I forgot to add that I am having 2 adrenal cocktails per day, 3 shots of MCT oil, the last one about an hour before bed. I averaged 1150-1300 cals per day. I also avg about 45 grams of protein daily which is a bit low. Lots of safe starches, yummy (bland) veggies, little fruit and the best part of all, is that I feel good. No lows so far.

I will up my protein today and here on out.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #157
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I'd love to see a few specific daily menus from you low reward girls--the weight loss is pretty amazing. I've been reading your threads and realizing for myself how hard it is to give up high reward foods, even within a perfect health context. I guess I'm wondering just how low the reward should be! Can I see a couple of B, L, D menus? I also notice y'all are doing oil shots--so a bit of a confounding variable, eh?
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:05 AM   #158
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh my GOSH Sunday wow!!! That is unbelievable! I got into the Costco samples (went before dinner while hungry), so I will skip weighing today.

Ouizoid the description below is pretty typical for me. I'll copy it up here.

I'm back to where I was when I was potato hacking, without having to do the potato hack. But I do use potatoes for my starch and to keep things bland. Stephan Guyenet recommends potatoes or sweet potatoes instead of using other starches for weight loss.

I have been having keifer mixed with grass-fed non-homogenized milk (I can't believe we have this at PCC!!!) for breakfast with a square of dark chocolate and one brazil nut (I forgot it this morning ), chia seeds instead of oil in water mid-morning, bland potato soup for lunch, chia seeds mid-afternoon, more bland potato soup before leaving work, then dinner varies but have been having seafood or salmon, salsa mixed with--normandy veg, garbanzo beans I soaked and cooked myself and pineapple chunks and curry powder--end of salsa, Kale Krunch (skipped last night). Before bed, more chia seeds if hungry.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #159
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I hope that it doesn't bounce back, but even if it does I feel like this is doing something.

Ouiz, I am eating a variety, just no spices. I fast daily from 6 pm until 11:00 am. I eat two meals when I can, but some times when I am very stressed and running late, one really good big meal. I eat lots of veggies daily, occasionally one kefir smoothie type drink w/ potato starch, collagen, gelatin thrown in. My protein has been skimpy, but I am ramping up to more. In the last 10 days, I have had turkey, chicken breast, sardines, oysters, roast beef, and tons of egg yolks. Cold taters plain and right out of the fridge. I make sure that I get at least one medium size to a couple. Add to this I eat lots and lots of mixed greens, zucchini, tomato, avocado, asparagus, broccoli and green beans. I think the combo of the oil and the adrenal drink may be the trick for me. I get very stressed when I have many deadlines at once, which is what I face for the next month.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #160
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ouiz, I think Abigail is following true bland compared to KT and I. I still get pleasure out of plain avocado and yolks. Can't help it, I this type of food. Funny thing, I could not follow the tater hack for longer than 5 days, but I can eat plain taters regularly as long as I can have some other veggies/yolks as well.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #161
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just thought of the one thing I did differently yesterday, from the previous 8 days, is that I had one more shot of MCT about 8:45 pm last night. I was feeling rumbly like I wanted food and did not want to snack or break the fast time. I drank a glass of water afterwards and was up 2x during the night to relieve myself.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #162
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sounds pretty flavorful. Is it the absence of salt and spice??
Old 08-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #163
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/118.8/115-120
OK, I am on.

I tried my first dosage of CO oil this morning. I mixed 1 Tbl of virgin CO in little warm water. I clipped my nose and drank it and followed by more water. I did not taste the oil and I know the virgin CO is very flavorful, so I hopefully I did this right.

I really need this to work for me. I am in binge mode right and hope the oil will do its magic. I am switching back to pure LC.

Today's weight 138.8
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #164
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
No spice during this trial. Except for the salt in my adrenal drink, but that is always by itself. I like the plain tastes of foods, but I thought we weren't supposed to be rewarded, so that may be contradictory?
Old 08-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #165
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Marika, I do hope this works for you! Good luck!
Old 08-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #166
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think what could be helping me quite a bit is giving up the sweetener. I was using a lot of it. I gave up coffee too; the flavor of coffee I have associated with the sweetener and cream, so I thought it could only help. I have no idea if Dr. Perricone is correct about coffee vs. tea.

Separating he fat from the food is an interesting point. Oil shots, chia seeds, butter separately but not with food - I have been doing this as well.

The not salting the food has pushed me toward seafood. Seafood is pretty good without salt.

The adding vegetables to decrease the caloric density of the food without going too crazy with this - I need to work on this. However, I have been diluting my potatoes with water to make soup and diluting the milk/keifer.

I've been working on leaving an hour between eating something dense in calories with other foods (oil shots, chia seeds, nose-pinched butter). I think Seth Roberts has something here, as well as Stephan Guyenet in not eating fat with the food. I think the hour between keeps your body from thinking the other food was a dense source of calories that you should be gorging on!
Old 08-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #167
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I think the acid test is whether you will eat the food if you are not hungry. This is Stephan's recommendation. If it doesn't sound good when you are not hungry, this is acceptable. If you will eat it regardless of whether you are hungry, this entails too much food reward.

I won't eat my curry-spiced salsa veg pineapple mix unless I am hungry. The curry and pineapple helps me get it down where I might not eat vegetables at all. I think this makes it acceptable, for me.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #168
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm listening to Stephan Guyenet on Jimmy Moore's show. I am home today, not feeling my best. Anyway...

I didn't know we have glutamate receptors on our tongues. Glutamates stimulate us to eat more.

Gluten, if it is not completely digested, it creates opiate-like substances. I heard Jimmy say that he has not heard this before. I do remember hearing it has an addictive quality before.

Yikes.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #169
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for all the excellent information you guys. I am thinking on how it would be best to do this. I have been losing some weight doing joel Furmans style vegan diet With a little added perfect health diet style seafood And some alternate day or intermittent fasting. Now I am wondering whether the Furman diet is actually a low reward diet And that is one of the reasons why people lose so much weight doing it
Old 08-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #170
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Thanks for all the excellent information you guys. I am thinking on how it would be best to do this. I have been losing some weight doing joel Furmans style vegan diet With a little added perfect health diet style seafood And some alternate day or intermittent fasting. Now I am wondering whether the Furman diet is actually a low reward diet And that is one of the reasons why people lose so much weight doing it
Ouizoid,

You've got it, precisely!

Stephan Guyenet has commented that this is why he believes people lose a lot of weight on low-fat, vegan diets.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #171
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Ouizoid! I have been having two meals and a snack each day of basically raw broccoli, one potato total spread over the two meals and snack, and chicken breasts, then this week I switched to cube steak for a couple of days, a day and a half of tilapia fish filets, and tonight I am having a chicken thigh and some raw spinach. No salt, no spices, no butter. I drink green tea during the day and have a total of 2 tbl of flavorless coconut oil.

Basically I am doing Guyanet's suggestion for his level 5.

"Level 5

This level reduces variety, which is another reward factor (4). This is something that you attempt at your own risk, as there may be downsides to eating the same foods every day. I think the risk is small if you choose your three foods carefully. I wouldn't recommend doing this indefinitely, but rather as a short-term strategy to lose fat, followed by a more relaxed maintenance phase.

1.Pick three foods, and eat nothing else. Try to pick foods that will provide a relatively balanced diet. A starch, a meat and a green vegetable is one possibility. For example: potatoes, broccoli and beef. Again, cook everything gently and add no seasonings to your food whatsoever, including salt."

this quote is from his interview with Chris Kressor.

So far in the last 13 days I have lost a little over 10 pounds.

Last edited by Abigale; 08-01-2013 at 03:19 PM..
Abigale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #172
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OK, guys, I have tried the MCT oil. I am not sure why I am not feeling well today. It could be the oil, it could be a rough morning.

I went to the dentist, and saw there the hygienist that knew my husband, then a song came on the dentist office soundtrack that was one of his favorites. That was so hard; I am OK now. I went home (could not go into work the mess I was), and I feel better now that my daughter is home.

Anyway, I can't be 100% sure it is the oil, but my gosh I have no appetite. I finally decided I should eat something, and my potatoes actually taste like soap. It was hard to get them down.

Good grief, is this the MCT oil?
Old 08-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #173
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Abigale- these are some stunning results!

I had my second shot of oil. This time it was ghee. I was not hungry so skipped dinner tonight. I did get a slight taste of ghee. I think I opened my nose too soon. I am thinking of getting the swimmer nose clips. This way I can free my hand to rinse to mouth properly.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #174
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Key Tones-

Great to hear about MCT oil.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #175
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Woot!!!

I received my nose clips from amazon today. I just drank some goat milk I have been afraid of, nose-clipped. This is going to buy me time and free up my hands to rinse out my mouth, yes, that is a benefit!

I had powdered goat milk once; it was gross. I don't know what possessed me to buy it. I heard Stephan Guyenet say that he drinks it. I guess that's why I grabbed it.

The funny thing is, the Japanese nose clip to try to get their noses narrower. I could use some help there, LOL...I am rather pug-nosed!
Old 08-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #176
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ha--Thanks to my time on Seth's board, I perfected the "internal nose block." y'know--how you can block yer nose from inside so you don't taste anything? The nose clips just hurt my nose and weren't as effective. ymmv
Old 08-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #177
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I am listening to Stephan Guyenet's lecture again on youtube. At 13:26

He says the factors that drive the brain to seek the acquisition of rewarding food are known or suspected to be:

calorie density
fat
starch
sugar
salt
free glutamate (like MSG)
absence of bitter flavors
certain textures
variety of different foods in the diet
certain aromas
consistency of flavor (- individual foods taste the same each time - Seth Robert's term = ditto foods)

Last edited by Key Tones; 08-01-2013 at 04:41 PM..
Old 08-02-2013, 01:20 AM   #178
Major LCF Poster!

My clothes are starting to fit better. Am wearing the jeans that were too tight at the beginning of this no reward eating and they fit ok now and the spare tire is definitely deflating!

I am down .6 this morning so that is 11.4 since July 19 or about 2 weeks. I am going with the chicken thighs for awhile because they have tasted the best so far and did not derail me yet. I will eat raw broccoli and spinach combo and the one potato and two tbl of coconut oil for awhile.

Will catch up on the posts after work. Have a great day!
Abigale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:54 AM   #179
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
ha--Thanks to my time on Seth's board, I perfected the "internal nose block." y'know--how you can block yer nose from inside so you don't taste anything? The nose clips just hurt my nose and weren't as effective. ymmv
Hmm...I need to search Seth's board for this. Thank you!
I am afraid the nose clips will hurt my nose too.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:56 AM   #180
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
My clothes are starting to fit better. Am wearing the jeans that were too tight at the beginning of this no reward eating and they fit ok now and the spare tire is definitely deflating!

I am down .6 this morning so that is 11.4 since July 19 or about 2 weeks. I am going with the chicken thighs for awhile because they have tasted the best so far and did not derail me yet. I will eat raw broccoli and spinach combo and the one potato and two tbl of coconut oil for awhile.

Will catch up on the posts after work. Have a great day!
Abigale, this unflavored food sounds so intriguing and your results speak for themselves. I am first giving the unflavored oil a try and than will do unflavored food if needed. Do you use salt at all?