Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Ha ha Sunday, love the oily peeps quote!

Guyanet recommends eating a couple of regular meals a week so one of mine will usually be Sunday breakfast. I will still stick with the no seasonings or fat.

Went to breakfast this morning with my sister in law. For months I have had just scramble eggs and bacon with coffee and cream. Our waitress was in shock when I ordered 3 poached eggs. She had already brought me coffee which was ok. I drank it black and no salt on the eggs.

Sunday, the cube steak is definitely harder to get down unsalted than the chicken was. I think going with a red meat will be good for me this week. Maybe back to chicken in a week or pork roast?

Last edited by Abigale; 07-28-2013 at 10:43 AM..
Abigale is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #122
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Ah, cubed steak would be difficult for me as well.

I just found this article and found it interesting, it does make a strong case for MCT oil as opposed to OO. Since it is an educational journal, it is okay to post the link...

Weight-loss diet that includes consumption of medium-chain triacylglycerol oil leads to a greater rate of weight and fat mass loss than does olive oil

Quote:
In this study, we found that subjects consuming MCT as part of their weight-loss diet lost an average of 1.7 kg more than did subjects consuming olive oil as part of their weight-loss diet.

This study is one of the few studies to examine the effect of MCT consumption on body composition in an ad libitum setting. It is also the longest study to examine the effects of MCT consumption on body composition to date. We have shown that the inclusion of MCT oil in a weight-loss program leads to greater weight loss than does the inclusion of a similar amount of olive oil. However, we were not able to show differences in adipose tissue distribution between the different diets.

In conclusion, the results of this study show that a weight-loss diet that incorporates moderate amounts of MCT oil leads to greater losses of body weight and fat mass than does consumption of an equivalent amount of olive oil. Although this study cannot distinguish which side of the energy balance equation played a bigger role in this differential weight loss (enhanced suppression of food intake or enhanced thermic effect of food), these data complement the body of literature concluding that MCT oil can be successfully used in a weight-management program to enhance weight loss. This study also shows that fats have a place in a weight-loss diet and that choosing MCT oil over an LCT oil may provide an additional boost for weight loss.

I was just thinking about the types of meat that I can eat without spice. I am a carnivore, so it isn't the meat that becomes difficult, though I rarely eat red meat or pork. I believe I could eat turkey, salmon, bacon, sardines and tuna sans spice. I love yolks so I don't have any problem at all eating them plain.

KT, I am very thankful that you brought this study back to our attention!
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #123
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
KT, I have read your forum off and on the past year. It is always fascinating. I am so greatful that you posted the Steven Guyanet levels of weight loss strategy. I have dieted for probably over 30 years and have never had this kind of progress in one week! The studies with the mice made so much sense to me. Many thanks!

I was down .8 pounds this morning and that is 9.2 for the week!

On my regular sight someone asked what I was eating, how was I cooking it and how often I am eating. This is what posted this morning.

Guyanete recommends just gently cooking our food so I am eating the brocolli raw as I can't stand the smell of cooked brocolli (and neither can DH) , the potato I cut into bite size pieces and boil it for about 10 minutes and the boneless skinless chicken breasts I simmer until done. Really blah - lol I eat as much as I want which obviously is not very much. I certainly don't crave it like salted, buttered and spicy food! I am eating 2 to 3 times a day. Sometimes I eat some potato before work and then at 9 break have afew bites of each, eat at 11:30 and then again at 5. Most of time I am not craving too much and hope that increases as time goes on. Last night being aaah Friday night I had a struggle not to totally fall off the wagon. But since I am losing every day so far I kept telling myself not to mess up my progress. And of course, now I am glad I didn't.

Have a great day all!
Thank you!!

That kind of compliment is a high honor. I am pleased you have found such a benefit!!
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #124
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Ah, cubed steak would be difficult for me as well.

I just found this article and found it interesting, it does make a strong case for MCT oil as opposed to OO. Since it is an educational journal, it is okay to post the link...

Weight-loss diet that includes consumption of medium-chain triacylglycerol oil leads to a greater rate of weight and fat mass loss than does olive oil

I was just thinking about the types of meat that I can eat without spice. I am a carnivore, so it isn't the meat that becomes difficult, though I rarely eat red meat or pork. I believe I could eat turkey, salmon, bacon, sardines and tuna sans spice. I love yolks so I don't have any problem at all eating them plain.

KT, I am very thankful that you brought this study back to our attention!
Thank you so much! I am really honored to have you all to be here to help me through this. It is much more interesting and effective to have reinforcement with others trying this as well.

I was just texting yesterday to another low carb friends member about someone (that has since disappeared from the board) that just dropped weight hand over fist on our daily weigh in thread. She is real, and my friend is for real, they are my facebook friends as well so I saw real life progress pictures. Anyway, the lady that dropped sooooo consistently and rapidly reported that she was eating her meat plain. Plain plain plain, nothing on it at all. I can't remember what all she ate, but I do remember thinking about her posting eating a hamburger patty for dinner usually, with absolutely nothing on it. I am trying to remember if she ate much of anything else.

This is really fascinating!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Old 07-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #125
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OK, here is another good passage from another interview with Chris Kresser. I am going to edit slightly some things out, because it has some pitch in it for a certain plan that Stephan is affiliated with.

Anyway, this is just great if you hang in and read to the end....

Stephan Guyenet: Yeah, absolutely, and let me just take a little step back first and explain a little bit about the context here for people who aren’t familiar with the writing on this. The basic idea is that food, depending on its specific properties, has a certain motivational value associated with it and also a certain enjoyment value associated with it. The motivational value is called reward, and the enjoyment value is called palatability. Just to illustrate that, I’ll give you a little example. You’re in a restaurant. You just had a big meal, a really nice meal. You’re full. And then the waiter brings out a plate with a warm chocolate brownie with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce drizzled on it, and they put it right in front of you, and the smell is wafting up your nose. What are you going to do? Are you going to eat it, or are you not? And if you don’t eat it, how hard was it? You wanted to eat it. Or if you don’t like brownies, put something else in there that you do enjoy. But what happens if that waiter had brought out a plate of steamed, plain potatoes and put it on your plate? You’re stuffed after this meal, and they bring out steamed potatoes with nothing on them. No salt, nothing. Are you going to dive into those potatoes? Of course not.

So, the point is that food has a certain motivational value associated with it. In the case of the brownie, you’re more motivated to go in and eat those excess calories even though your body has no need for those calories. So, basically the amount of food that you eat and whether or not you continue eating that food is determined by this reward value or motivational value of the food as well as the palatability or flavor of the food. And so, if you’re always in a situation where you’re surrounded by these very tempting, motivating foods, whether it’s at a meal or whether you’re just at work and it’s on your desk or whatever, you’re going to have a tendency to eat more calories overall and less healthy food overall. .....(EDIT).

And also, I’ll just say basically that these pathways that regulate these things, that receive and process these factors in the brain, the reward pathways and the hedonic pathways, those things interact with the pathways that regulate body fatness. So, there are some data — and research is ongoing on this — but there is some data, and some of this I’ve published in a review paper, that suggest that basically highly palatable, highly rewarding food can actually increase your defended level of fatness. So, basically the body wants to eat those excess calories and wants to retain the fat, and when you reduce that reward and palatability value of the typical food, it makes it easier to lose.

(Editing....). Some of the research that’s come out from a really interesting researcher, John de Castro, has suggested that in people’s day-to-day meals, really calorie intake increases the most at the highest levels of palatability, so we’re talking about foods that people think are really, really, really palatable. They will eat approximately 44% more calories at a given meal of that type of food.
Chris Kresser: Wow.

Stephan Guyenet: Yeah, it’s a huge effect. If you go down in palatability to things that people rated as fairly palatable or average palatability, you basically do not get any more benefit, according to this study, from going down to low palatability. So, this suggests that we really don’t necessarily need to eat food that’s completely bland to capitalize on this effect. We can eat food that we’re designed to eat, which is simple, natural food, and reap the benefits for appetite and body weight control. I mean, we’re talking about the kinds of foods that our ancestors ate, which is simple, natural foods as close as possible to their natural state.

So, that’s one thing, and the second thing is this idea that this food reward concept implies that people who are overweight or obese are kind of losing control and that’s why they’re obese and they’re gluttons or whatever. This is something that has come up repeatedly. I can understand why people can get sensitive about this subject, but it couldn’t be further from the truth, that perspective. Basically we all live in a food environment that promotes overeating and promotes fat gain, almost all of us. I mean, almost without exception, we live in an environment that promotes fat gain more than our grandparents, more than our great-grandparents, more than people 10,000 years ago, more than people 50,000 years ago did.

Now, different people have different levels of susceptibility to that environment. So, if you were going to take 10 people and get them all to eat nothing but pizza, ice cream, chips, and fries, what you would see is that many of those people would gain fat and become obese or overweight, but not all of them would. There are different levels of susceptibility, and even when you overfeed people the same number of calories — This has been studied. If you take 10 people and you overfeed them all by exactly 1000 calories per day, you’ll get 10 whole differences in fat gain among those different people just because of how their bodies react. Some people are able to literally burn off the excess. So I mean, the fact that food reward and palatability contribute to that drive to eat excess calories does not imply that anyone is weak-willed if they’re obese in our society or overweight. Those people might have been doing the exact same thing as the person next to them that’s lean.

Chris Kresser: Right.

Stephan Guyenet: There are different levels of susceptibility, and we’re all dealt a different deck of cards in life genetically and in every way imaginable, and the question is, what are you going to do with the cards you are dealt? What can you do with the cards you are dealt?

Chris Kresser: Exactly...(edit)

Last edited by Key Tones; 07-28-2013 at 01:46 PM..
Old 07-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #126
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This is so interesting, and intersects with what Seth Roberts says. He says if you eat incredibly tasty food, it will increase your fat set point. Not from the calories you just ate, but the fact that you set off your body system programs that motivate you to eat more as a survival mechanism.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #127
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
This is so interesting, and intersects with what Seth Roberts says. He says if you eat incredibly tasty food, it will increase your fat set point. Not from the calories you just ate, but the fact that you set off your body system programs that motivate you to eat more as a survival mechanism.
I am a believer!!! Very convinced. I noticed that when we went to eat at the restaurant yesterday, I couldn't make up my mind. And it wasn't because they didn't have plenty of low cal healthy PHD options, it was because I lacked desire. Now, if you knew me well, that isn't me. I think it is the tasteless experiement. I wish that I had just forgone the alcohol. Oh well, as I get further in this experiment I bet I get better at saying no to drink at gatherings/social events.

I believe this is what may be happening for some people on the tater hack! Especially the ones that DO NOT add spices or a variety of tastes to the tater and eat it plain and cold. I have read so many say that they lost their appetite. I did as well. I thought at the time that this is funny, because although monotonous, it is helping us to reset that mechanism.

’ll just say basically that these pathways that regulate these things, that receive and process these factors in the brain, the reward pathways and the hedonic pathways, those things interact with the pathways that regulate body fatness. So, there are some data — and research is ongoing on this — but there is some data, and some of this I’ve published in a review paper, that suggest that basically highly palatable, highly rewarding food can actually increase your defended level of fatness. So, basically the body wants to eat those excess calories and wants to retain the fat, and when you reduce that reward and palatability value of the typical food, it makes it easier to lose.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #128
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
ok--but what then, do we make of cultures like the french who have highly palatable tasty food but are quite lean? I mean, I know part of it is the nonsnacking culture and that fact that their foods are generally prepared from whole foods. Nonetheless, they are highly palatable, making liberal use of seasonings?
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #129
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I know Ouiz, the French do have good tasting food.

Guyenet recommends eating at least one or two meals during the week that have spices and taste palatable. I wonder if this could be so that you can stay with this? Or if there is another reason? I wonder also, if once you arrive at your goal weight, you should only sporadically eat tasty meals?
Old 07-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #130
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ah, yes, the French...I believe they are lean because they do not use industrial seed oils - real cream and plenty of cheese. I have heard they do not snack and do not eat large in large quantities.

I am a firm believer that obesity and western diseases are caused by a trifecta of flour (especially frankenfood version of white flour), sugar (frankfenfood version high fructose corn syrup), and industrial seed oil ( frankenfood partially hydrogenated....UGH!!!). Food manufacturers use their scientists to make it as tasty as they possibly can with their formulations to increase sales and profits.

I think these low food reward/palatability is helpful once you have become leptin resistant.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #131
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes seed oils are the bane of our health here in the US. And then there is the problem in that many, many keep promoting seed oils as good for us. I believed for quite some time that canola oil was healthy.

Kresser has a very good read about this entitled, "9 Steps To Perfect Health – #1: Don’t Eat Toxins". He researched and quoted at length how our body deals with seed oils and grains. Especially the lining of our gut, which is the key to our overall health and weight.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:00 AM   #132
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sunday - I had my dinner out with a dear friend I had not seen in years. We met at a chowder restaurant, and I caved with a bowl of chowder. When we were told how teeny the cup of chowder was, we decided on a bowl. There was all this fried food around and baskets of garlic cheese bread that looked like it was drowning in butter then grilled in cheese, ugh! I didn't eat the bread or anything fried, but I definitely was influenced to eat more than usual looking at all this stuff. I think it was more damage than a margarita. Sigh. I will have to neutralize this fast!!!

I did do an oil shot a few hours before hand and it made dinner feel like a brick. I didn't notice until I stood up to walk around. I am back to the table, and oh my gosh...my friend had desert. Even looking at it made my stomach turn. Oil shots could be just the thing to prevent weight gain on vacations, oh my goodness.

I think next time I'm in a dining out situation I will order something that will take a long time to eat so I get the que before I get very far in.

OK, so I am going bland as all get out now and will stay away from the scale for a while! I don't want to see it, with all the salt that came on board with it.

Last edited by Key Tones; 07-29-2013 at 12:12 AM..
Old 07-29-2013, 12:10 AM   #133
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ah, I'll have to post another part of the podcast about pacesetters now. Sitting around with other people eating a lot of food definitely had an impact on me.

Here it is. Dan Pardi is another obesity researcher affiliated with Stephan Guyenet.

-----
Dan Pardi: Fascinating study. So, this speaks to a whole area of research that looks at all of the different external factors that modify how much food we put in our mouth. And that includes things like plate size, package design, the number of options that are available to us. Factors like ambient noise and lighting. If you think about one of your favorite restaurants that you enjoy going to, they try to make the environment as conducive to you staying, enjoying that meal as much as possible, multiple courses. All of these things will serve to distract you from your own internal cues. We love novelty. You know, small plates, trying a lot of different things. If you were to take potato chips and you were to put them in twelve different bowls versus two different bowls, you would eat more, even just the perception of variety, even though it’s the same item, will have you eat a lot more.
Chris Kresser: Hmm.

Dan Pardi: Then there are things like social factors, so when you eat in the presence of company, there tends to be what’s called a pacesetter. So, somebody at the table that eats the most will then influence and affect how much everybody else eats.

Chris Kresser: Haha.

Dan Pardi: So, Chris, when you sit down next to –

Chris Kresser: John Welbourn!

Dan Pardi: — John Welbourn and he has three pounds of bacon, you might end up having a pound of bacon where otherwise you might have had three strips.

Chris Kresser: That could explain why I was so full after I had breakfast at AHS last year with Welbourn, Robb Wolf, and Mat Lalonde. I walked out of there feeling like I needed on a stretcher or something.

Dan Pardi: Haha, absolutely! So, I think what the program — and Stephan and I have talked about this — There are these incredibly important internal factors that we want to operationalize to take, OK, high protein, volume, etc., and turn these into dietary advice that people can follow, but when we talk about environment, we also need to make that environment conducive to people not having too many distractions, not having highly palatable foods sitting out on the counter. You’re much more likely to defect or not comply with your own desire to achieve this goal if your environment is rife with a lot of poor options. And then also we want to maintain awareness, so we actually do recommend specific calorie amounts in our program because even if you are — there are other reasons why you could take in more calories, right? These external factors. And so, those are other thoughts about what’s driving calorie intake. It’s not just the food, but it’s also kind of the context where we are, and that also includes our upbringing.

So, I wanted to mention that because that’s really important, and any good program is going to really consider all of these factors because they’re significant. I mean, Stephan mentioned the 44% increase in calories from highly palatable foods. We see things like people are more likely to take in almost 80% more calories just sitting at a table with a pacesetter that eats a lot of food. So, there’s a variety of things that can significantly alter the amount of calories we take in, and we need to identify them, understand them, and then have a program that helps us make better decisions consistently because it’s a long haul usually, right? People that have weight to lose, it’s going to take some time to get there, and we need to find something that’s practical and conducive and achievable.

Last edited by Key Tones; 07-29-2013 at 12:14 AM..
Old 07-29-2013, 02:31 AM   #134
Major LCF Poster!

Wow, so much interesting information! I will have to come back after work and finish reading it.

I am down 1.2 pounds this morning! That is 10.4 in the last 10 days!

Have a good Monday!
Old 07-29-2013, 05:58 AM   #135
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, I am sitting at the same weight on day 7. Down -4.7 lbs total. So, today I will go as bland as possible. Keep all of the nutritious food, but bland and nothing spicy. Being a jalapeno pepper lover, this is really hard, but I truly want to see the results that Abigail has been seeing!

KT, the bread is not as hard for me to refrain from as the butter. I could butter everything and then again butter.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:58 AM   #136
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Abigale, wow, that is truly amazing!!!!!!!!!!!

I am blanding out today. I have my potato soup with no spice or salt.

Last edited by Key Tones; 07-29-2013 at 07:59 AM..
Old 07-30-2013, 02:14 AM   #137
Major LCF Poster!

Up .2 today which is fine. I can take small bounces up and down. Definitely going to switch from cube steak shortly. It is like chewing shoe leather. lol Now if it was a fatty rib eye I could go for that but then it would not be no reward.

KT, hope the potato soup with no spice or salt gives you a loss today!

Sunday, I love butter too! Hope you see a loss today too!

Have a great day!
Old 07-30-2013, 02:41 AM   #138
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, and I have added one more unflavored tbl of coconut oil to my day as of yesterday.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:40 AM   #139
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/116.8/115-120
This is such an interesting thread. Congrats to all of you on losing so well! Does eating bland food makes you eat less and that's why you lose because you take in less calories? or by eating bland food you lower your set point and this makes you lose somehow. Sorry if this has been answered, I did not get a chance to read all the posts yet.
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:40 AM   #140
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Marika,

How are you? Yes, the theory is the lower the reward, the better for re-setting metabolism. I also believe this is why the plain taters on the potato hack could be so good for the longer term hackers.

This is very interesting to me. Especially, since when I began PHD in Jan, I lost all of the toxins. I don't eat toxins or junk food at all. Simply paleo whole foods, very little dairy, no grains, sugar or seed oils. BUT, my losses have been pretty slow since committing to PHD even though I find I feel much better healthwise. I am fine with that, because I find that I really enjoy healthy foods. So, when I read this thread, I thought this could be my answer to dropping the rest without having to resort to hacks.

Down .6 today, so again -5.3 in 8 days.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:43 AM   #141
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am going to try and eat a good amount today. 2 shots of oil and bland veggies and protein. The last two days were generally pretty low cal and want to make sure that I am getting in more foods.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:27 AM   #142
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, Sunday, you are really kicking it!!!

Abigale - you have dropped so much weight so quickly, it is amazing!

I am still debloating from the restaurant food and it is TOM, so I will have to wait for this all to blow over to see where I am. Getting into those tasty/dense foods raises your fat setpoint, and boy, I can tell, I really wanted to eat yesterday, good grief. I had to drink some keifer to calm down, that helped quite a bit. The bowl of restaurant clam chowder was not worth it (it was shocking how salty it was - I was not used to that). Blanding out today as well to bring the fat set point down down down!!!

Hi Marika! I am glad you are finding it interesting. I am so happy to find something to work with after all these years of eeking out small losses. I have only lost an average of 15 pounds per year, which means when I get up and get on the scale, I see NOTHING the vast majority of the time, but I NEVER give up. I started in 2005.

Last edited by Key Tones; 07-30-2013 at 08:28 AM..
Old 07-30-2013, 08:42 AM   #143
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I also brought some extra light olive oil into work so that I may take a shot here.

Still haven't received the MCT oil. I'll report once I've tried it. I am crossing fingers.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:00 AM   #144
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/116.8/115-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Hi Marika,

How are you? Yes, the theory is the lower the reward, the better for re-setting metabolism. I also believe this is why the plain taters on the potato hack could be so good for the longer term hackers.

This is very interesting to me. Especially, since when I began PHD in Jan, I lost all of the toxins. I don't eat toxins or junk food at all. Simply paleo whole foods, very little dairy, no grains, sugar or seed oils. BUT, my losses have been pretty slow since committing to PHD even though I find I feel much better healthwise. I am fine with that, because I find that I really enjoy healthy foods. So, when I read this thread, I thought this could be my answer to dropping the rest without having to resort to hacks.

Down .6 today, so again -5.3 in 8 days.
OMG, Sunday. You are rocking it! I am going to give a shot. I could use all the appetite suppression I can, especially during PMS
I have noticed that anytime I eat spicy food I am more hungry afterwords. I just love tasty food too much. I think I will first start with SLD. I have to get refined CO as I only use the virgin one. I have rice bran oil that has zero flavor, maybe I will use that but I believe it has too much omega 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Hi Marika! I am glad you are finding it interesting. I am so happy to find something to work with after all these years of eeking out small losses. I have only lost an average of 15 pounds per year, which means when I get up and get on the scale, I see NOTHING the vast majority of the time, but I NEVER give up. I started in 2005.
Thank you so much for starting this thread. YES- you should never give up!!!

My Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...orward-11.html
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:50 AM   #145
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Awesome, it is great to have another person trying this!
Marika, I sort of glossed over this when it was brought up the first time by PJ because I already used MCT in my 1st coffee/tea of the day. Then, when KT posted this thread, I remember reading Paul speak of when you have difficulty with hunger and it doesn't matter what time of day, take a sip of MCT or CO. At the time, this struck me as not necessary for me since I am all about butter and cooking in CO, but there is something to non-reward for cals. Guyenet and Roberts have researched this and proven by practice.

KT, I eat well on the weekends, but it is my glass of Pinot G or the marg that I just thought I had to have on Sat at dinner that prevents me from losing and pretty much puts me right back to where I started.

Abigail, I decided to steam up one monster big bunch of veggies with no spices or butter. I will have a load of zucchini, peppers, shrooms, & broccoli with a couple of taters thrown in for good measure. Oysters, egg yolks, & turkey for protein.

Last edited by sunday; 07-30-2013 at 09:51 AM..
Old 07-30-2013, 09:53 AM   #146
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

KT, Don't ever give up! You have been so inspiring for me! Especially with all of your research and steadfast resolve. I will be shocked if this continues for me, because I have to be very ill to lose. That is just how I roll.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:05 AM   #147
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sunday,

RE: being ill to lose - that is so interesting. I swear, I think a great deal of my losses came from stress. I held to low carb for dear life with little results after the first whoosh, but when something bad happened, my weight would drop. I am the type that loses weight when under stress, like final exams in college. Appetite-gone when panicked.

The cool thing is, as I stuck with low carb, the weight did not come back. Now, I realize paleo is the way to go. Low carb just took me closer to the whole foods.

I hear the thing with cortisol increasing weight, I suppose that is true under low chronic stress. Major stress, however, kills me.

And thank you!!!

Last edited by Key Tones; 07-30-2013 at 10:07 AM..
Old 07-30-2013, 11:18 AM   #148
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Love following this thread. Am now traveling for 6 weeks. I won't be able to do bland much of the time as I won't be cooking, but will think about what I am ordering.

I find that if I am with people who eat a lot, I really get turned off of food. If I see a really heavy person eating a cookie or some sweet, I find it easier to turn down the cookie!

Thank you KT for the synopsis of the articles. I do much better reading than listening to talks. I'm always glad when there is a written account of a podcast.

Again thanks.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #149
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Seabreezes - glad you are enjoying the thread! Next time I travel, I am going to try the extra light oil shots an hour before meals to control my eating.

Here is something I just posted in another thread that is worth mentioning here. I know we know, but reinforcement helps:

= = = ==

There is another big point here that Stephan Guyenet makes, that I forget to talk about because I hang out in an area of the board where this is practically rule one on the paleo diet side. Stephan says this has a profound effect, so if you have not heard of this or have not tried it, there is a big payoff here.

The omega6 to omega3 ratio, if it is out of whack, sets off a big inflammatory response in the body. What this means if you are eating a lot of soybean oil (salad dressings and mayo), corn oil, safflower oil, cottonseed oil, and other industrial seed oils, you are creating inflammation in the body.

Inflammation interferes with the brain (hypothalmus) detecting leptin! This causes leptin resistance. This means your body does not know the amount of fat stores it has! So, if inflammation is blocking, say, 50% of the leptin from being detected by your brain, this means your body would have to double its fat stores to feel there is enough there for survival. This is serious...

What to do?

Avoid industrial seed oils. Soybean oil and corn oil are the devil! I know this is hard. Make your own salad dressings with olive oil. Eat real butter (especially grass-fed Kerrygold!); don't use margarine!

Don't buy into canola oil. It oxidizes and spoils on the shelf but you cannot taste it when this happens. Oxidized oils cause inflammation.

Increase your omega3 consumption. Eat wild-caught fish a couple of times per week. Eat chia seeds.

Read up on omega 3 for more ideas!

Last edited by Key Tones; 07-30-2013 at 12:29 PM..
Old 07-31-2013, 02:36 AM   #150
Major LCF Poster!

I am down .4 pounds today. Could not stand eating any more shoe leather cube steak so have cooked up some tilapia filets that were in the freezer. I am not a fish lover at all unless it is tuna with mayo or breaded and deep fried so I certainly have really stooped low in my food selections. lol

Sunday, wishing you the best results with the veggies and protein menu!

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Last edited by Abigale; 07-31-2013 at 02:39 AM..