Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #91
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I am in love with the fresh lime juice and the salt together. I wonder if it is because it reminds me of margs?

Yes EmergenC is a great source of VitC. I decided to up mine to 3 a day, I love them that much!

KT, I have at least one or two baby dutch potatoes at every dinner. I have been doing this ever since I started PHD. I am amazed at my circadian rhythm just by adding taters and fasting from dinner till 10:30 next morn. I have been doing the MCT oil for morning coffee every day prior to this new flavorless oil trial. I am thrilled to see this working for you! And as for me, I didn't think it would do a thing, so this is really no problem at all. I think I am going to try doing the flavorless food during the week with the oil and see if that brings even more to the losses.
Thanks!

It is nearing 2:00 here and I have had only nose-pinched butter shots and chia seed water today. Oh, and a small square of 85% chocolate this morning along with ginko bilboa/korean ginseng. I am full of energy today, buzzing, on no coffee or other food. I'm going to have potato tonight and see if my blood sugar is better tomorrow morning!

Also, I ordered MCT oil for my daughter to try. I might try it too - I haven't actually tried it, I am just leary because of the coconut in it. Perhaps it is so refined it won't cause a problem.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #92
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Great info found on *** about MCT vs EVCO...

The biggest difference is that you can't cook with MCT and you will have to eat more coconut oil to get the same benefit from 1 tbsp of MCT. So, CO is great for grilling and cooking, but MCT is better if you are trying to do this flavorless oil trial and then there is the thermogenic properties.

Quote:
MCTs are saturated fats that, as the name says, are medium in length. Coconut is the most common food source of MCTs and is where coconut derives its weight loss fame. Yet the interesting thing about coconuts is that I've yet to see a study where people are actually given coconut oil to eat and it results in weight loss!

One study from Italy looked at the metabolic effects of replacing corn oil in a meal with MCTs. The researchers found that by switching to MCTs, the total energy expenditure of the subjects increased by ~50%. While this might sound amazing, the actual increase in calories burned was a paltry 25 calories; hardly significant if you consider that to get as many MCTs as was used in this study you'd need to ingest 3 tablespoons of coconut oil.

Looking at this data from a best case scenario implies that when you eat pure MCT oil, you burn an extra 3 grams of fat per tablespoon, compared to if you ate another kind of oil (olive, corn, canola, etc.).

But here's the rub: If you're trying to get your MCTs from coconut oil exclusively, you wouldn't get these 'free' 3 grams of fat because coconut oil is not 100% MCTs. In reality, you'd need to eat 21 grams of fat from coconut oil — instead of 14 grams of fat from MCTs.

I love coconut flakes with cottage cheese and chocolate Metabolic Drive, but if you're eating coconut for the calorie burning effects of their MCTs, the math just doesn't add up.

Adipo-Who?

But before we dismiss MCTs, we should note that MCTs, in animal studies, have been shown to increase adiponectin levels. Adiponectin is a little-talked about hormone released from your fat cells that's also known as an adipokine (the most popular adipokine is leptin).

Adiponectin levels are low in overweight and obese people; adiponectin is also negatively correlated with abdominal fat (less adiponectin floating around in your blood means you most likely have more abdominal fat). More importantly, increases in adiponectin are related to improvements in insulin sensitivity in muscle. So finding ways to increase adiponectin secretions from your fat cells is always good.

Could this be an undiscovered benefit to MCTs?

Polyunsaturated Fats

Polyunsaturated fats can be confusing because they can be further broken down into omega-3 and omega-6 fats, which can act completely different in your body. I've written before about the role of omega-3 fats like EPA and DHA (the two omega-3 fats found in fish oil) in health and fat loss here. More recently, I also looked at the omega-6 fat — inflammation connection and how it sounds like a better story than it really is. Check the articles for more information regarding these specific topics.

Polyunsaturated fats are often unfairly accused of being easily oxidized and thus likely to wreak havoc on your system. While this makes sense to a biochemist (more on that in a minute), it doesn't seem to hold true in the real world. I've yet to see any real evidence to show that people who eat more polyunsaturated fats have higher levels of oxidative stress. Fact is, the opposite is true; most research shows that the people who eat more polyunsaturated fats have better health.

Why More Oxidation?

Polyunsaturated fats are said to be more prone to oxidation because of their chemical structure. They have more double bonds than monounsaturated (which have one) or saturated fats (which have none). Double bonds in fats are like weak links in a chain; they're easily broken and when they do break, oxidation occurs. The more double bonds a fat molecule has, the more weak links, and thus the greater likelihood of oxidation.

Oxidizing fats are like a chain of fireworks strung together, once one goes off, the rest go offer soon afterwards. For a visual image, check the illustration on the right.

Let's move away from oxidation and polyunsaturated fats and move specifically to some new research on the two darlings of the fatty acid community, EPA and DHA.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #93
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Sunday. I've got to read more ***!
Old 07-25-2013, 01:26 AM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Well, got back to the no reward eating yesterday and was down 1.4 from yesterday. I am thrilled of course! The proof of this being a fat removal way of eating will be if lose this darn spare tire around my waist and can get back into the jeans I wore last spring. I am so surprised and thrilled that this is working so well. I am now down 7.8 from last Friday. I am sure at least half of that is water weight but I am still a happy camper.

Sunday, you asked if I was still eating the same food plan. Yes, still the brocolli and chicken. I had a potato for two days and am having one again today. Keeping the variety down was also part of Guyanet's level 5. I may switch to something else next week but am not sure.

Have a great day all!

Last edited by Abigale; 07-25-2013 at 01:30 AM..
Abigale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:08 AM   #95
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just stopping in to report down 1.2 more today making this 3.6 for 3 days. I know this sounds bizarre, but I am not eating bland food. I am eating nutritiously, but not bland. Yesterday, I had eggs, bacon, tomatoes, saurkraut, kefir, greek yogurt, blueberries, cherries, potatoes, sardines and zucchini.
And 3 adrenal cocktails. Plus 2 shots of MCT oil.

Abigale, Wonderful to hear! Is this a record loss for you? I don't know that I have ever lost this well before, except on the PH. Would you say that you are eating close to the same in calories as you normally eat or less? I forgot to track all of my cals yesterday, but would say yes very close to my regular tally. If not better.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
Old 07-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #96
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, we are rocking this - I'm down another pound this morning. My stats are now honest...195!!!

Dropping 5 - 6 pounds right after a week of a potato hack where I dropped 7 - 8 pounds is really something to ponder.

I am floored.

I am not expecting to this rate to keep up, but I do think I am finally going to crack the big 120 pounds of weight loss.

I am hopeful now.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #97
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

From the first interview with Stephan Guyenet/Chris Kresser

On inflammation:

Stephan Guyenet: ......(KT comment: I edited a lot out to get to this part)....my own mentor, Michael Schwartz, and another person, Dongsheng Cai, who are studying the hypothesis that inflammation in the hypothalamus is behind leptin resistance and fat gain. And you can show that inflammation causes the cells in the hypothalamus to not respond to the leptin signal as well. They basically ignore it even if there’s a bunch of it around. And if you reverse that leptin resistance… or excuse me, if you prevent that leptin resistance, you prevent the development of obesity in animal models. And so this theory ties back into the gut flora one because one of the leading hypotheses of how the gut flora cause these problems is it basically causes a low-grade systemic inflammation originating from the gut, which could potentially have inflammatory effects throughout the body, including the hypothalamus.

Chris Kresser: That’s fascinating. So just to kind of recap, what’s supposed to happen is that as we gain weight, the leptin signals the hypothalamus, as we gain fat, to decrease our hunger and increase our activity levels and just do the things that you explained earlier to maintain the setpoint?

Stephan Guyenet: Correct.

Chris Kresser: But for some reason, and there are the three theories that you just described, that’s not happening in people that are gaining weight. And that could be because of inflammation, which could be at least in part caused by gut flora, or it could be because triglycerides are blocking the leptin from crossing the blood-brain barrier......

(kT: I am editing out the rest that he said is a theory not well developed yet).

Chris Kresser: Well, something interesting, I don’t know very much at all about the third theory, but the first and second theory, the gut flora dysregulation causing the inflammation and then the triglycerides blocking the leptin, it seems to me that those could be two other reasons that the low-carb diet is effective in some people, because of course, a high-carbohydrate diet increases triglycerides, and a high-carbohydrate diet will also feed certain species of gut bacteria.

Stephan Guyenet: Yeah, that’s true. The triglyceride hypothesis certainly lends credence to the low-carb… or is consistent with the effects of low-carbohydrate diets in some people. One of the things he said today in the lecture that I wasn’t aware of before is you basically have to get your triglycerides down below 100 mg/dL to see that effect, and that if you don’t get them down to that level, then… I’m speaking about in animal models. In animal models, you have to get it below that level to see the fat loss effect. But I mean, it’s pretty common for people on low-carbohydrate diets to have triglycerides below 100. I mean, I do. I’m not even on a low-carbohydrate diet, and mine are that low. But… what was I gonna say? Oh yeah, well, the carbohydrate thing, I mean, I think you have to distinguish between refined and unrefined carbohydrates because if you’re eating whole-food carbohydrates, you’re gonna be feeding beneficial bacteria as well because they like to feed on the fiber that’s contained in those foods. If you’re eating just refined carbohydrates like sugar and white flour, you’re creating an environment where the bacteria you don’t want to grow can grow in the upper intestinal tract, and the bacteria that you do want to grow can’t grow in the lower intestinal tract.

Chris Kresser: Right, because the carbohydrate is so simple that it doesn’t make it all the way down to the lower intestinal tract.

Stephan Guyenet: Yeah, not much makes it down there, and so the bacteria don’t have much to eat. You end up with low bacterial counts and a simplified community of bacteria down there.

Chris Kresser: And that could explain, it seems like, the observation that obesity and diabetes were low in the US back when carbohydrate consumption was still fairly high, but the carbohydrates that they were eating then were whole grains and not highly refined carbs.

Stephan Guyenet: Yeah, that’s true to some extent. I mean, if you got back 100 years, though, people were mostly eating white flour in this country. But it was probably somewhat different than what they eat today. I mean, I think refined carbohydrate… Let me take a step back. By that I mean that they were treating their white flour differently than today. It was more like a long fermentation-type process. I think that refined carbohydrates are one factor and certainly not the only factor.

The role of industrial seed oils in the obesity epidemic

Chris Kresser: What about industrial seed oils? Because obviously our consumption of these, you know, cottonseed and sunflower and corn oil and soybean oil, these highly refined seed oils has just risen dramatically from the turn of the 20th century to, you know, I guess they’ve gone down a little bit in the last few years. But what role do you think those might be playing, especially vis-a-vis the inflammation hypothesis?

Stephan Guyenet: Yeah, well, if you say the word ‘inflammation,’ the first thing I think about is omega-6 and omega-3 fats because they are so critical in determining how the body responds to stimuli that cause immune reactions or inflammation. The balance between omega-6 and omega-3 fats determines how the body reacts to harmful stimuli. There were a couple of really interesting papers that came out in the last year showing that if you feed mice a diet that is imbalanced in omega-3 and omega-6 polyunsaturated fats, they develop progressive obesity that gets worse over three to four generations of mice. So basically, what your great-grandparents ate could be influencing how much body fat you carry today, is one thing that those experiments suggest is a possibility in humans as well.

Chris Kresser: Wow.

Stephan Guyenet: Yeah, the implications are pretty profound. And you know, it ties in well with the hypothalamic inflammation theory because if we’re eating something that is predisposing us to inflammation throughout our entire bodies, then some inflammatory thing that wouldn’t have been a problem on a different diet, maybe that’s gonna cause a massive inflammatory reaction in the hypothalamus and lead to obesity if we’re imbalanced in the favor of omega-6. So just to give a little word for people who aren’t familiar with the terminology, omega-6 is the polyunsaturated fat that’s mostly found in seed oils like corn oil and soybean oil and cottonseed oil and safflower oil, and basically we’re eating probably four or five times as much as we were even just 100 years ago, and you go back 200 years and it was even less. And all the while, our omega-3 intake has been relatively stable or even slightly increasing over the course of the last 100 years, because some seed oils such as soybean and canola oil do contain some omega-3. But the two complete with one another in some ways, and so basically you’re negating the benefits of the omega-3’s by excessively consuming omega-6’s.

Chris Kresser: Right, and just so everyone understands, the prostaglandins, the compounds that are formed from omega-6 fatty acids are more proinflammatory; whereas, those formed from omega-3’s are less inflammatory.

Stephan Guyenet: Yeah, I mean, in broad strokes. The polyunsaturated omega-6 and omega-3 fats are the precursors of both eicosanoids and endocannabinoids. So those are two compounds that have massive effects on body weight and feeding behaviors. Like, for example, the word ‘endocannabinoid,’ you take the word ‘cannabinoid,’ the word comes from cannabis because it’s basically the molecule that the body produces that hits the same receptor as marijuana does. So what happens when you smoke marijuana? You want to eat a lot of food, right?

Chris Kresser: The munchies!

Stephan Guyenet: Exactly. So that shows that those cannabinoids are very potent regulators of feeding behavior. And there’s actually a drug called rimonabant that is a weight loss drug. It was recently taken off the market for side effect reasons, but it does cause fat loss in humans, and it’s basically reverse marijuana. It blocks the receptor that marijuana activates.

Chris Kresser: Yeah, that’s fascinating too, and it seems like another big piece of the story, especially because we’re eating so much more of these oils now. I know Cordain and others have done some anthropological work that suggests that the ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 was maybe 1:1 back in our hunter-gatherer ancestors’ times, and I’ve seen recently the estimate that we’re eating 10 times more omega-6 than omega-3, and in some people that number could be as high as 20 to 25 times as much.

Stephan Guyenet: Yeah.

Chris Kresser: And you know, just based on what we’ve been talking about so far, it seems like there would be pretty dramatic consequences from getting that far away.

Stephan Guyenet: Yeah, I believe there are. I think the consequences are massive. And one of the problems with the research is that we’re talking about very long-term things. I mean, this in not the kind of thing where you take a fish oil capsule and the next day you wake up thin, or you wake up insulin sensitive or whatever. It’s really a very long-term effect that is probably more effective as a preventative measure than it is in the treatment.

Last edited by Key Tones; 07-25-2013 at 08:54 PM..
Old 07-25-2013, 09:35 PM   #98
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Post 2 of 2: KT comment: Continuing on the gut flora here....

Chris Kresser: Right. What about fermented foods? It seems like a lot of traditional cultures, or at least some traditional cultures ate fermented foods, and that might have benefitted their gut flora.

Stephan Guyenet: Yeah. You know, I’m glad you brought that up. I’ve been thinking about this somewhat lately, and there are basically two ways to alter your gut flora. One is by eating bacteria and yeast and whatever from fermented foods or probiotics, and that is largely something that’s mostly gonna influence your upper intestinal tract, as far as I understand it. So, your small intestine.

Chris Kresser: Right.

Stephan Guyenet: Because by the time you get down to the large intestine, I mean, your large intestine is basically a big bacterial reactor. Like, it’s full of trillions of bacteria. And there’s no amount of probiotic that you can eat that’s even gonna make a drop of difference in that enormous mass of bacteria in your large intestine. So the way I see it, that sort of thing is really gonna mostly influence your upper intestinal tract. But that can be important because upper tract… I think you’ve been writing about gastroesophageal reflux disorder recently and how that interacts possibly with bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine, and those are things that you can influence possibly by eating fermented foods and probiotics, by competing with those harmful organisms. And it’s also been shown that… We haven’t really talked much about intestinal permeability, but it’s been shown that you can increase the ability of the gut to keep inflammatory molecules out of the blood by giving probiotics. So you’d decrease intestinal permeability in the small intestine, which could be important.

Stephan Guyenet: And then for the large intestine, the way you alter the gut flora there is with the fermentable fibers, because that’s where the fermentation takes place. So basically it’s kind of a one-two punch if you’re doing fermented foods and fermentable fiber in your diet. So it’s prebiotics and probiotics.

Chris Kresser: Right, which they call synbiotics. Or it seems like that’s the term they’re throwing around now.

Stephan Guyenet: Yeah, that’s right. It’s the new fancy term for eating sauerkraut and vegetables!

Chris Kresser: Right! Well, they need a term so that they can make patented products and make lots of money off of them.

Stephan Guyenet: Exactly.

Chris Kresser: Well, that’s great, and actually a colleague of mine, a doctor who I really like, he says that antibiotics were the medicine of the 20th century, and probiotics and prebiotics are gonna be the medicine of the 21st century. And it certainly seems it’s shaping up to be that way, although you could argue that probiotics and prebiotics were the medicine of the previous, you know, millions of years of evolution.

Stephan Guyenet: Yeah, that’s right.

Chris Kresser: And we just got a little off track there for a while.

Stephan Guyenet: Well, I hope he’s right.

Chris Kresser: Yeah. OK, so prevention, we’ve got mostly dietary, keep exercising and making sure we’re getting enough of the fermentable fibers and the fermented foods to maintain healthy gut flora.

So what about somebody who is already overweight and their setpoint is not where they want it to be? All of the things that we’ve already talked about for prevention, I’m sure, would be part of the program, but why don’t you talk a little bit about treatment?

Stephan Guyenet: Sure. Basically I’m just gonna outline a toolbox. I mean, it depends on the individual, so I’m just gonna outline a toolbox of potential strategies that one could consider if one wanted to lose weight or wanted to lose fat. And the exact strategy that you would apply would depend on the individual, but some possibilities are reducing the carbohydrate content of the diet. And I’m not really sold on going extreme on that. I think that a moderate reduction in carbohydrates is probably a better idea unless you’re diabetic or almost diabetic.

Chris Kresser: So for those who like to know the numbers, do you have anything in mind, like less than 75 grams of carbs a day? Or are you just kind of pointing more towards, I don’t know, a more qualitative reduction?

Stephan Guyenet: I tend to think more in terms of percentages just because that’s the way I’ve always thought about it, so I apologize, I can’t, off the top of my head, give you a gram amount. But I would say that I would start to get uncomfortable if someone was going below maybe 20% carbohydrate for the long term. I don’t know, I mean, I think it probably works for some people, but I think there are a lot of people who just end up not benefitting from that in a number of ways. It’s important to listen to what your body is saying.

Chris Kresser: Right. OK, so moderately reducing carbohydrate intake.

Stephan Guyenet: Yeah, and then basically ensuring a nutrient-dense diet. So make sure that you’re eating nutrient-dense food. Eat pasture-raised eggs and dairy if tolerated. Dairy can actually be problematic for some people, but if you tolerate it well. And pasture-raised meats, organ meats in particular, like liver. Butter. And then root vegetables, sweet potatoes, potatoes, taro. And vegetables, you know, especially vegetables with a high content of fermentable fibers, like onions and mushrooms and Jerusalem artichokes, burdock, all that good stuff. Nuts and fruit. Basically a whole foods diet.

Stephan Guyenet: And then grains, as well. I think grains can be part of the equation. I think that some people may benefit from not eating grains at all, but I think that most people, if they’re prepared properly, can have grains in the diet and do fine. I think that many traditional cultures have shown that it’s a feasible part of a diet.

Chris Kresser: Right, and you’ve been writing about types of preparation that those cultures did and that are required so that grains are actually healthful for us rather than problematic.

Stephan Guyenet: Right.

Chris Kresser: OK, so we’ve got a nutrient-dense diet, everything we talked about for prevention, the probiotics, maybe high-intensity training if somebody wants to try that, and possibly intermittent fasting. Sounds like everything that promotes general health and wellness, but specifically those things that reduce inflammation and improve insulin and leptin signaling, which is pretty much everything that we’ve been talking about tonight.

Stephan Guyenet: Yeah, and then another factor is I believe that food sensitivities can also contribute to elevated fat mass, and there are people who, for example, stop eating wheat. I think that’s gotta be one of the most common ones. And just from eliminating wheat, they’ll lose 15 or 20 pounds of fat…

Chris Kresser: Wow.

Stephan Guyenet: … over the next few months. And I think that there are people who have a similar reaction to dairy as well and other foods. I think wheat is the particularly common one.

Chris Kresser: Just wheat? Or any gluten-containing grains?

Stephan Guyenet: Well, I think wheat is the worst offender, especially white flour, but there are certainly a lot of people who are sensitive to gluten found in wheat, rye, and barley. And you know, the classical disease of gluten sensitivity is celiac disease, and that traditionally was thought of as kind of a wasting disease, where people were very lean because they weren’t able to absorb the nutrients from their food. But now that we’re testing more people and finding more people with celiac disease, there are quite a few people who are overweight who have celiac disease. And in fact, people who have gluten sensitivity but not celiac disease, which is very common, probably at least 1 out of 10 people, probably more… Those people are just as likely to be overweight if not more so than the general population. So I think that food sensitivity is a big one, and that can contribute to gut problems and inflammation throughout the body as well.

Chris Kresser: Wow. We’ve covered a lot of ground tonight! It’s exciting to me, in a way, that we’re really beginning to understand this in a new way and hopefully in a way that brings more success than the previous paradigm. You know, instead of people focusing on cutting calories or running on the treadmill endlessly in the gym, we focus more on basically improving our immune system and reducing inflammation in the body. And of course, everything that does that is gonna benefit not just our weight, but our overall health and our ability to prevent other diseases since all diseases pretty much have an inflammation component to them. It sounds like the things that we would do to prevent and to treat weight gain are just the things that we need to be doing anyway to promote overall good health. And that always makes me feel good! You know, it makes a lot of sense to me when things add up like that. I feel naturally distrustful of strategies to treat a particular condition that would send our general health in a bad direction.

Stephan Guyenet: Yeah, agreed.

Chris Kresser: So thank you so much, Stephan. It’s been great. I’m sorry we went a little over the time that I had planned, but it’s just… I get off on talking about this stuff. It’s really interesting to me! So thanks again, and hopefully we can do it again sometime soon.

Stephan Guyenet: Yeah, my pleasure. Thank you, Chris.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #99
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Fermentable fiber - when I listened to the podcast, I know they said jicama is a fermentable fiber. I don't see it in the transcript. I don't remember hearing that mushroom has fermentable fiber. That is good news.

I have always wondered what a jeruselam artichoke is???
Old 07-26-2013, 02:28 AM   #100
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/106/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Our beloved Bob's Red Mill Unmodified Potato Starch is a fermentable fibre, alongside your green bananas etc.

Jerusalem artichoke is a root vegetable and is the food of the devil - the inulin provokes unbelievably bad gastric distress if you're sensitive to it. And, everyone is sensitive to inulin, it's just the degree of gastric activity that you experience that determines whether you spend the next few hours curled up in the bathroom and with every window open.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:52 AM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

I was down .6 pounds this morning so that makes 8.4 for the week! May stick with the potato, chicken, and brocolli for another week. I can eat the same stuff over and over and not get bored and why mess with something that is working so well. Tried on the jeans last night - no go yet. Too snug in the waist to be comfortable to work in and too much spare tire. I will be so thrilled if a month from now that has all but disappeared!
Old 07-26-2013, 05:41 AM   #102
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
Our beloved Bob's Red Mill Unmodified Potato Starch is a fermentable fibre, alongside your green bananas etc.

Jerusalem artichoke is a root vegetable and is the food of the devil - the inulin provokes unbelievably bad gastric distress if you're sensitive to it. And, everyone is sensitive to inulin, it's just the degree of gastric activity that you experience that determines whether you spend the next few hours curled up in the bathroom and with every window open.
Yes, one reason PS is great for the colon as well as the gut, is the Resistant Starch plus fermentable fiber. This is why cold potatoes, green bananas and other forms of RS are so good for your insulin sensitivity. I bought a bunch of green bananas so that I can give the PS a rest, but I keep forgetting to add them to my meals. I still make sure that I get some RS in every few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
I was down .6 pounds this morning so that makes 8.4 for the week! May stick with the potato, chicken, and brocolli for another week. I can eat the same stuff over and over and not get bored and why mess with something that is working so well. Tried on the jeans last night - no go yet. Too snug in the waist to be comfortable to work in and too much spare tire. I will be so thrilled if a month from now that has all but disappeared!
I am in awe of this! This is so inspiring.
I am up about .3 today, but I really did not get my PHD foods in yesterday and in fact, had some forbidden foods, so I failed the plan. Very stressed out day! I also missed my adrenal cocktails yesterday. AND, I really needed them as well.

Thank you KT, I wish this was on podcast. Do you know if it is? I am really interested in reading everything on the gut. I have healed my gut so much in the last six months of PHD. It is true everything that Guyenet is speaking in that our inflammation in the gut will restrict us from losing weight.

I did question this in the initial stages of PHD, because it is not spoken about in many medical or weight loss circles. It seems that the hypothalamus can be inflamed by the continuous periods of unhealthy eating and bad bacteria that resides. I just wish that I had known this several years ago when I suffered so much with battling weight loss. I thought it had everything to do with my genetic traits that I inherited and I was doomed to fight this.

Last edited by sunday; 07-26-2013 at 05:45 AM..
Old 07-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #103
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sunday - yes, it is on podcast:

Google:

Episode 1 – Stephan Guyenet on causes and treatment of obesity

It is on Chris Kresser's website.

SlowSure - wish me luck. I ordered jeruselam artichoke supplement. I'll be sure to do it on a weekend when nothing is going on!

Inulin does make me ill in candy, but perhaps a small dose would be OK.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:10 AM   #104
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bad news on the fasting blood sugar. Yesterday I went super high fat and had eggs and was on a program similar to the high fat days of Kwasniewski's Optimal Diet (I love that diet).

Fasting blood sugar this am: 119!

Yep, that is the type of reading I used to always get, and why I was so shocked at low 80s with the potato hack.

My insulin resistance really rears its head when I go too low carb/high fat.

Good grief.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #105
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

KT, Thanks!!! I am listening at work today.

Okay, remind me why you can't do the Bob's Red Mill PS? Only reason I ask, is that Tatertot swears that is what changed his blood sugar issues plus the addition of safe starches. He takes his readings regularly since doing the PS. He says 1 tbs w/ dinner and his reading is perfect.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #106
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I tried it, I really did.

I tried not eating potatoes (subbing brown rice) and using a lot of potato starch to the point of flatulence (3 heaping teaspoons, more than enough).

My blood sugar shot up to the upper 90s.

Nothing works like potatoes.

Perhaps Tatertot does not have insulin resistance. There are a LOT of people on the McDougall low fat vegan site that say their blood sugar resolved within weeks of going on his diet. Mine resolved, like, instantaneously. It made me realize what BS is put out by the low carb camp. Surely some of these leaders, Taubes for example, has come across this. This information could extend lives. 35 points on blood sugar for someone who is diabetic could be the difference between health and spriling downward into vision loss, heart attack, loss of limbs...Good grief.

I'm not saying vegan is healthy, but the low fat plant-based (real plants, not grains, not rice) and small amounts of fat and meat seems to be key.

I will continue to experiment. Maybe the separation of fat between potatoes Shangri-la style will work. I don't know.

Last edited by Key Tones; 07-26-2013 at 10:04 AM..
Old 07-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #107
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I went and dug up part of his story...

Quote:
I was intrigued by the idea of Resistant Starch as mentioned in the PHD and did some digging.
In early April, I started adding 4TBS (about 20-30g of RS) of potato or plantain starch to my daily eating, usually in the evening with a low calorie smoothy. Raw, unmodified potato starch contains about 8g RS per TBS and Plantain Flour contains about 5g per TBS. Almost immediately, my fasting blood glucose fell into the 85-95 range, down from 110-120 on PHD foods, and 120-130 on Low Carb. I also found that adding 1TBS of potato starch to the sour cream I put on a baked potato caused the post-prandial glucose spike to be about 60 points lower and last half as long as eating a plain baked potato!
You can read the rest here...

Perfect Health - JUNE
Old 07-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #108
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, we cross posted! Yes, he did have IR.

He claims that he was "full blown metabolic syndrome poster-child with pre-diabetes, fatty liver, high cholesterol, bp, and trigs along with some other typical met-syn issues."

I wish that this had worked for you.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #109
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ah, I see, you mean to keep the post-meal spikes from coming. I don't measure blood sugar post meal.

I suppose I should know. I will think about it.

Also, McDougall says you need the post-meal spike so your body knows you have eaten something. This is what knocks out your appetite.

Anyway, as a test, I put the RS in my daughter's mashed potatoes. She says it does not work to make them more filling. She is hungry on mashed potatoes, even with the RS. She is not diabetic (I had her tested).

I'm not sure.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #110
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cross post again! I had an A1c of over 9. The diabetes was starting to get bad.

I didn't have high blood pressure or fatty liver.

I did have high triglycerides, however. They are low now, even after the potato hacking.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #111
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hummm, that test with your daughter shows how different we all are. I get so sated from the RS. In the beginning, it was as if I had eaten a ginormous meal. Now, I think my gut is used to it. If she can tolerate green nanas, they will give her the benefits quite well.

I know this sounds strange, but I just took my tbsp. of MCT and it caused me to get a tickle in my throat, to the point that I began to cough. Would this mean I am having allergies to it? I sure hope not. Because it is very tasteless and bland.

I am having asparagus, eggs, and plain white chicken for my bland foods today.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #112
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/106/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Bad news on the fasting blood sugar. Yesterday I went super high fat and had eggs and was on a program similar to the high fat days of Kwasniewski's Optimal Diet (I love that diet).
KT, I find this issue intriguing although I agree that it's horrid for you and I don't know why it isn't receiving greater coverage in LC circles at times.

I've seen a couple of people on the egg fast comment that they can't do eggs (rather than eggs and meat) because they have a roller coaster with their BS/glucose levels and for some of them this seems to trigger a strong or irresistible craving for carbs.

I can't begin to understand what's going on with the metabolic response there.

Did you eat whole eggs or just the egg yolks? (I'm only asking because I know that 'Hyperlipid Peter' just consumes the yolks.)
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #113
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Very interesting Slow Sure. I eat 3 yolks per day. I give the whites to my pups. KT, that could be an answer.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:51 AM   #114
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
The Tickling in your throat that you get from the MC T oil is an indication of its anti-inflammatory properties. High-quality olive oil will do the same thing
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #115
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kwasniewski's Optimal Diet is egg-based. I have done eggs every which way, yolks or no yolks, and blood sugar was steadily too high.

I could try it again just to see, but I have already had two potatoes today, so it won't work tonight. I'm eating out tomorrow and Sunday (old friend in town), so will need some days to settle and try the yolks only for just in case.

My daughter wants to go back to the potato hack. She hates the oil thing. I am pushing her to try it in case it works for her. I would like to see her eat more nutritious food than that.

That is so weird that people rollercoaster on the egg fast. I don't get it
Old 07-27-2013, 05:30 AM   #116
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh boy, I had a very good flavor-less day yesterday. Down 2 lbs! Total of 5.3 in 5 days!

This is too flippin easy. I had 2 adrenal cocktails, 2 shots of oil, 3 egg yolks, boat load of asparagus, baby dutch taters, green olives, chicken breast, 2 brazil nuts, and an oyster. I know we are not supposed to enjoy our food in this trial, BUT, believe it or not, I was satisfied and felt no restriction whatsoever. Did not feel malnourished either.

I can maintain the flavorless oil and even bland foods, but I know I won't continue to lose this way. I wonder is anyone else noticing interuption of sleep at 3 or 4 in the morn to pee? I was up 3x and that is unusual.

Ouiz, very interesting about the oil. I was a bit taken aback because I had never had that reaction. Had taken my shot at the office and then I couldn't quit coughing. Worried I was having a reaction.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:56 AM   #117
Major LCF Poster!

KT, I have read your forum off and on the past year. It is always fascinating. I am so greatful that you posted the Steven Guyanet levels of weight loss strategy. I have dieted for probably over 30 years and have never had this kind of progress in one week! The studies with the mice made so much sense to me. Many thanks!

I was down .8 pounds this morning and that is 9.2 for the week!

On my regular sight someone asked what I was eating, how was I cooking it and how often I am eating. This is what posted this morning.

Guyanete recommends just gently cooking our food so I am eating the brocolli raw as I can't stand the smell of cooked brocolli (and neither can DH) , the potato I cut into bite size pieces and boil it for about 10 minutes and the boneless skinless chicken breasts I simmer until done. Really blah - lol I eat as much as I want which obviously is not very much. I certainly don't crave it like salted, buttered and spicy food! I am eating 2 to 3 times a day. Sometimes I eat some potato before work and then at 9 break have afew bites of each, eat at 11:30 and then again at 5. Most of time I am not craving too much and hope that increases as time goes on. Last night being aaah Friday night I had a struggle not to totally fall off the wagon. But since I am losing every day so far I kept telling myself not to mess up my progress. And of course, now I am glad I didn't.

Have a great day all!
Old 07-27-2013, 06:25 AM   #118
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hmmm, I just realized I promised DH that I will go out to eat at one of his fav steak restaurants, so I will take my oil today, but have a feeling this could be a no loss day. Keeping fingers crossed that it doesn't blow my fantastic losses this far.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:23 AM   #119
Major LCF Poster!

I have switched to beef this week instead of chicken - so it will be 1tbl of flavorless coconut oil, hot tea, mostly green tea, cube steak, one potato and raw broccoli each day

Scale says exactly the same as yesterday. First day not showing a loss but that was going to happen. I will just keep on keeping on.

Have a great day all!
Old 07-28-2013, 07:42 AM   #120
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Abigail, I believe you have aced this flavorless trial. I don't know why I never thought of trying this before now. I don't know that I could eat beef without spice. Let us know how that goes.

Yesterday, I forgot to take my oil before lunch although it was very low cal, I was really bummed. I took it before dinner but we ate at Salt Grass and I had the crab and avocado dinner which really wasn't high in calories, but the darn special Patron marg was my fail. So, I am up .6 today and will stay true to the oil to see if I can keep this going. {sigh}

Carry on oily peeps.