Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 05:27 AM   #511
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rms123
Stats: 240/168/130ish
WOE: Primal JUDDD
I would second a thanks for keeping the thread going! I still do not know if this is going to work, or if it is part of an overall solution (coupled with other things), but it is helping, for sure.

Work travel again this week, and I completely forgot my ghee. I skipped it one day, and did okay, but found I ate crap that day. Next morning, did 3 pats of butter (from the breakfast area). THAT seemed to work well. Missed the butter again the 3rd day, but the prior's day butter seemed to have carried over.

The one day I tried 2 TBS at one time. I was super full for most of the morning, but them seemed like normal hunger at the same time. I'm hoping today I can try to slip my ghee doses and see if that does anything.

I need to get back to my Primal/PHD way of eating..........I do much better when I go that way.
rms123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #512
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/212/??? 5/10" The real age 49
WOE: 2014 Nutritional Ketosis Experiment Begins
Start Date: LC'05,'10Paleo,'13 S.Guyenet+S.Roberts'14C.Kresser
Thank you, everyone and especially to Marika, for keeping the thread going!!!

It was just what I needed to get back on track. I had only a small chunk of Kerrygold cheese last night and thought nothing further of it, so AS has really kicked in now. Whew!!!! All that tasty food on vacation really upped my fat set point for sure, and I didn't want to come down.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #513
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/121.4/120
WOE: my version of healthy diet mixed with JUDDD :)
Thanks girls, I have done nothing I thank you KT for starting this thread and for everyone contributing. It is nice we have a little spot here with SLD oil drinking buddies I feel like SLD has been god send to me!!!

KT- I am glad you are back on track

Sunday- I am also enjoying more veggies on SLD. I used to eat like this before I started messing up with LC

RMS- happy to hear that SLD is working well. I wonder if you nose clipped the butter, or just ate it normally? I remember reading on some other thread that someone was getting good AS with eating butter without NC, which was surprising to me.

WJS- how is it going?

I was very hungry this morning so I ate 4 oz of lamb burger and couple of eggs and was back to feeling normal. I think I have mistaken the hunger for the past 2 days for carb cravings. I think I just needed more protein.
This motivated me to cook lots meat and veggies today, since I am working form home today I have more time for cooking. I have already made delicious slow roasted lamb with "crazy spicing" consisting of lots of fresh marjoram, garlic and ginger. It is melt in your mouth soft I have also baked butternut and spaghetti squash and have beet soup ready. I should be all set for the weekend. I know once AS kicks in completely I may have to freeze half of the food
Old 09-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #514
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

For those of you who follow Morex, he still has great AS, 3 months after stopping the oil
Morex's adventures in SLD
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:41 AM   #515
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WJS
Stats: 165/132/125 Height 5.5"
WOE: Dukan now JUDDD
Start Date: August 27, 2012
Hi Marika, it's still not working for me yet. I decided to try walnut oil starting yesterday afternoon and I have taken 1 and half tbs this morning. So perhaps I need more time. Happy to hear it is working for you and everyone else here though.
WJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:48 AM   #516
Junior LCF Member

WJS - MCT oil did not work for me, but ghee seems to work pretty well. Maybe we all respond to different oils...

Marika - when I did the butter, I plugged my nose and it worked well.

Results:
I'm seeing the scale bound all over the place, swinging up and down by 3 pounds. But, week 1: -3.2
week 2: - .6

Love following Morex!
Old 09-28-2013, 06:34 AM   #517
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Great result RMS

WJS- Maybe you need little more time. I agree with RMS, some oils don't works as well as others. I feel ghee is the best for me. I tried flaxseed oil but did not work (probably because the taste would linger in my mouth after drinking it).

AS is getting strong again for me. I am glad the 2 crazy days are behind.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 10-01-2013, 03:55 AM   #518
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/175/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK my way
Start Date: Feb 2012
Just reporting here...last week started on SLD,well weekend was crazy and I forgot to take oil.Funny enough,when I started SLD actually I felt my hunger increased a bit.But since I didn't stick with it properly,I won't blame it yet.
Starting this week again,trying to remember and I want to give the diet at least a month.
I got the NC,so I may start switching oils.I did have nausea the first few days though,is that normal.
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:09 AM   #519
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LCB- I never experienced nausea. Which oil were you using?

Hope you get better results this week!
Old 10-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #520
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Today I am having a really bad day. Infact it is first day in 2 months since I started SLD that I binged. I guess I added too many fruits too fast. It is my typical PMS binge of yogurt and fruits. I can't even find 2 hr flavorless window to take my ghee today. Maybe in the evening
I am not giving on SLD because I know it works. I just have to figure my carb level and get over this looooong PMS.

Hope everyone is staying on track.

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 10-01-2013 at 12:57 PM..
Old 10-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #521
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Marika,

Hang in there. There always seem to be ups and downs! We seem to do well right after a bad day, so I think it will be all right.

I am still having a rough time. I still haven't lost my Disneyland weight.

Today, I have ditched the sweeteners. I gave them up as well as coffee when I had that big weight loss run on this.

I haven't given up my coffee yet. I am hoping that the coffee was not part of it.

I can't say that I feel gung-ho yet. That is the most important element anytime I have a run. I am usually excited about it, so I need to find that sweet spot.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #522
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

KT- I just decided to ditch fruits and dairy.

Hope that your ditching of sweetener and my ditching of fruits and dairy will do the trick. I guess they are our ditto foods.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #523
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
I haven't tried this yet but it makes a lot of sense. In the broader contex it might not watching TV, reading a book ect. when you eat also add to the food reward effect? I was doing so well limiting my eating to at the diner table without the TV, radio or any reading material. Then I eased up and started finishing my meal while on the computer
ect. and my calorie consumption has started to rise again. Well I still have 1/2 lb of a
cheap deoderized coconut oil I bought to make chocolate bark with and I might try using
it or some mct oil I have.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #524
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Welcome EW! I am sorry to hear that reading or watching is a trigger for you.
Good luck with the SLD. Just remember to stick with the rules of 2 hr flavorless window. Ask any questions you have.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #525
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I found a flavorless window last evening, so I only took 1 tbls of ghee yesterday and that was the day I needed the ghee the most
Anyhow, moving forward. Eliminating my ditto foods (dairy and fruits) and waiting for SLD magic to kick in again.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:24 AM   #526
Junior LCF Member

For some reason, I've fallen off the boat. It's not like it's hard, but I start eating without paying attention and then miss a window, then get busy, and wash and repeat. How odd, considering how easy this really is! Will try to pick myself up and start again
Old 10-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #527
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

How is it going everyone?

After 4 miserable days I am feeling in control again. TOM is very much delayed so my hormones are still all over the place. I gained few pounds in 4 days. I had zero AS for the past 4 days
I went back on JUDDD and today was my first DD. Ended up with 390 cal. I am combining it with SLD. I just have to find the sweet spot on the amount of ghee I need. I don't want to have too much of AS on UD because I need to get at least 1600 cal. So I will be doing 1 tbl of ghee in the morning of DD and 2 tbls of ghee in the evening of UD.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:28 AM   #528
Junior LCF Member

I was about to go back to JUDDD again, as well, and was contemplating how to combine SLD with JUDDD. I didn't want the ghee on DDs, because it's not enough appetite suppression. But, was thinking about a shot at the end of the UD, hopefully carrying me through the DD. Not really sure yet.

At any rate, down .4 this week. Not moving at the speed of light, but with my hectic work travel schedule, all downward movement is great progress
Old 10-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #529
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I had two good days followed by a bad day. Not giving up.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:33 AM   #530
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

RMS- let me know how JUDDD/SLD combo works for you

KT, good for you for not giving up.

I don't know what has happened but I feel like I lost SLD magic. It was working so amazingly well first month. I had to stop the shots because I was not eating enough due to very strong AS. I then started NC food and that worked great for only 2 weeks and than it stopped working as well. So I went back to SLD shots and my AS was not like it used to be before. I had wicked PMS binging despite of doing SLD and gained back 6 lbs of 12 that I lost initially. I already lost 3 lbs from that 6 lb gain since going back on JUDDD two days ago. I am no longer taking 2 tbls of ghee. I am doing 1 tbl a day in the evening of UD and 1 tbl in the morning of DD. I can't expect the same AS as with 2 tbl a day but the 2 tbls of ghee stopped working for me anyway

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 10-06-2013 at 04:34 AM..
Old 10-06-2013, 05:55 AM   #531
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/175/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK my way
Start Date: Feb 2012
Marika-just hang in there is all I can say.I hear you on those PMS cravings....they are tough.Last time I made some LC stuff of the foods that I normally binge on.I still gained but it was 1 lb instead of the usual 5-6 I used to gain.I am using Elana's and Maria Emmerich's recipes.
I just can't seem to get started on sld,the nausea is very much there...plus this week I have a bad tummy bug,so I am stopping the oil bcoz it just makes it worse .Hopefully my tummy will be normal soon.
mini goal : 175 reached
mega goal : 170 : Combined weights of 3 pregnancies will be gone forever
mega goal : 150 :
mega goal : tone allover,close and repair my diastasis and hernia
Push yourself. Because no one else is going to do it for you.
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #532
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
If I take over 2 teaspoons of MCT oil at one time it hits me as a laxitive coconut oil
doesn't do that to me. Just playing around I mixed 1/2 cup of coconut oil and 1/2 cup
MCT oil this way I can take a whole tablespoon of it and have no GI problems. As another benifit this 50/50 mix is liquid at room tempiture (72 f ) and if I put it in the refrigarator it doesn't get quite as hard as butter.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:55 AM   #533
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

How is everyone?

I am still doing SLD with JUDDD and so far so good. I have settled on 1 tbl of ghee on DD and 2 tbl in the evening of UD. I no longer have this very strong AS that I had at the start of SLD but I don't mind it. It was way too strong anyway. I think in November I will take break from SLD and come back to it only during PMS or when I need it.
I remember reading post from Sunday saying that she takes brakes from SLD and it seems to work well for her this way.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:57 AM   #534
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LCB- hope you are feeling better. Do you still have nausea?
Thanks for the recipes recommendations, I will check it out!
Old 10-09-2013, 05:58 AM   #535
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

E.W- glad you found good combo that does not cause laxative effect. I have been taking ghee and it works great, no bathroom issues.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #536
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am having a terrible time with inflammation. My knees are really bothering me. They were a little better yesterday, but much worse today.

I tried eating anti-inflammatory foods like curry, blueberries, chia seeds, ginger/garlic brocooli, and wild caught salmon. Unfortunately, the curry was too good and set off another episode of overeating.

I don't know what else to do, so I am going to switch to ketogenic. It is supposed to be anti-inflammatory. I will now find out if this works shangri-la style in me.

To push it off quickly, I had MCT oil for breakfast, and kerrygold butter for lunch. I'm going to eat fat as long as possible today in hopes of making it to dinner, during which I will have vegetable and a small amount of protein. If I am not hungry, I may see if I can get away with fat for dinner. I want to get into ketosis as soon as possible. I can't believe this knee pain lately.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #537
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am so sorry to hear that KT I hope going back to ketogenic diet will take care of the inflammation. Are you still eating cheese? I think dairy in my case is causing inflammation. I had a lot of yogurt and cottage cheese yesterday and I have joint pain today. I think dairy is just big no no for me. I always knew that but that's what my body craves hormonally. I am stopping it completely starting today. It is a ditto food for me as well, so I really don't need it.

I have also decided to take little sabbatical from SLD and will return to it when PMS knocks on the door.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #538
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
I am so sorry to hear that KT I hope going back to ketogenic diet will take care of the inflammation. Are you still eating cheese? I think dairy in my case is causing inflammation. I had a lot of yogurt and cottage cheese yesterday and I have joint pain today. I think dairy is just big no no for me. I always knew that but that's what my body craves hormonally. I am stopping it completely starting today. It is a ditto food for me as well, so I really don't need it.

I have also decided to take little sabbatical from SLD and will return to it when PMS knocks on the door.
Yes, I am one hot mess right now. Dairy is causing hives. I have a hive problem anyway, but it is apparent that going on vacation set off a bunch of problems that I had under control when I left!

I understand on the needing a break from it.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:04 PM   #539
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Hello Suzy
Stats: 167/162/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 1/2014
Oh no, has this thread been abandoned? Such a great thread! Just read through most of it.

I did SLD several years ago with great success - easily melted off the baby weight. But then when I tried it again, to get below my "forever set point", I got no AS I was so bummed because SLD was so effortless the first time. But I didn't know about MCT oil. Or ghee. After reading some of your success stories here, I'm going to give it another go. Any other advice for me? Never tried bland foods. Potatoes?
Hello Suzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:30 AM   #540
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm restarting and giving nutritional ketosis a go due to my doctor's recommendation. My thread linked in my autosignature below is alive. I am incorporating Stephan Guyenet/Seth Roberts.