Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #481
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120.8/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rms123 View Post
Interesting. I never thought to mix ghee in water. My DH will think I'm crazy if I get some NCs

Not sure if I'm getting AS with the MCT. However, I took it in the am before I had eaten, and it RAN right through me. I'm going to try it again about an hour after I eat breakfast and see if that helps, both in terms of AS and the bathroom issues.

Marika - what does "BTD" mean in your WOE?
My DH also tought I am crazy using the NC, but than he saw how great SLD works for me

Some people get that initial reaction to MCT and than they say after few days their body gets used to it.

BTD= blood type diet diet
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #482
Blabbermouth!!!

Update... 4 days back on SLD with 2 tbls of ghee/day is working great for AS, just like it did last month.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #483
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Hi Marika,

I am back from Disneyland! We were gone for a full 7 days. I am afraid to weigh! But, no bother, I know what to do!

Glad to hear it is back to working for you!

RMS - I wasn't even sure I could do the MCT oil because coconut oil made me so ill. I was able to get used to it pretty quickly. I couldn't take two tablespoons at first but after a couple of weeks of a lower dose I could. Hang in there!
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #484
Blabbermouth!!!

Welcome back KT
Old 09-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #485
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you!

I am going bland today, but I have not yet restarted the MCT oil. I will do that tonight.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #486
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rms123
Stats: 240/168/130ish
WOE: Primal JUDDD
I finally decided the MCT oil is not going to work. The bathroom issues subsided, but it caused stomach aches and no AS. I wanted to start with MCT because of it's impact (in theory, at least) on cognitive functions and because it was tasteless.

I moved on to ghee. I was worried because it has such a strong taste for me. I haven't really mastered things yet...I've been traveling and such for work, so I'm still eating junk at night (we have candy EVERYWHERE and no regular meals and no place/way for me to heat/drink my ghee). So, initial results -- very strong AS. One nice TBS in the am (6 am) gets me through until 3 or 4. I still eat, but it seems like so much less. The ghee does take work. I have to heat it, add a little water so I can drink it, drink 2-4 glasses of water afterward, gargle, and keep my nose plugged for about 5 minutes afterward. But, wow, does it work...if I can just get the nighttime eating under control (I'm undoing all of my good results -- I'm pretty sure another TBS (maybe even 1/2 TBS) right about 3 pm would take of the rest of the day...if I can figure out how to get it in). Wish the MCT oil worked...much more portable

Will continue on and see if I can actually make some weight loss progress.

Thanks again for sharing results on this thread.
rms123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:30 AM   #487
Blabbermouth!!!

RMS- great to hear that ghee is working for you. It is amazing! I get very strong AS with it.
I agree that it is a pain to take it though. You really can't do it outside of home because you have to heat up the ghee in warm water and all. Sometimes when my schedule is crazy I take 2 tbls at once and it works the same way.

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 09-18-2013 at 04:33 AM..
Old 09-18-2013, 06:03 AM   #488
Junior LCF Member

Okay, now that's a thought... I may have to try that today (I've taken one TBS, but can add another one now) and see if it helps during my "witching hours" (3-6) time. Thanks
Old 09-20-2013, 06:02 AM   #489
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Hello everyone!!!

Sorry to be so absent! I have been reading a bit, but quite honestly have been trying to catch up on personal emails and that is keeping me buried.

Just want to stop by and say that I am loving the MCT oil still. I do 2tbsp 2x per day and it has kept me down to my low but I must be more diligent about tracking and logging meals once again. I feel that this is the key to getting the rest of my weight off. I eat PHD and sparingly indulge in wine or dessert. I love taters, salad, veggies and often throw in a side of protein when it is convenient. Still taking all of my PHD supps. Very happy!

I have never nose clipped and/or eaten bland. I suspect that this would be a great addition and will contemplate doing this, but I am kind of like Ouiz in that I would rather not eat, than not enjoy. LOL!

Thank you to all who have been so kind to keep up this fantastic thread.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:53 AM   #490
Junior LCF Member

The ghee continues to work well. Today I am (hopefully) going to try the second shot. I figured out how to make the ghee work while traveling (without a microwave). I got some hot water (for tea), came back to my room, and mixed the tea and hot water. It was hot enough to melt my ghee, but not so hot that I couldn't drink it. However, my ghee melted and got all over my suitcase (even in my ziplock bag). Gotta figure out a better solution.

The AS is still good on 1 T today. I hope to take a second (1/2 T) shot today and see if it can help through my afternoon witching time.

AS wasn't as strong yesterday, which I thought was weird...until I realized I was so distracted, that I only took 1 tsp.

I will report weight loss tomorrow.

I think bland food would be a great addition, but it's pretty hard when I travel. I know this is terrible, but I'd rather have quantity than have it necessarily taste good. I had possibly thought to try and NC while eating, but I always forget. But, honestly, if I get enough AS from the ghee (and start to see the scale move down), then I will hold off on the NCing and possibly bland food until I need it.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #491
Blabbermouth!!!

Good to see you Sunday Glad to hear that MCT is working well for you.
I skipped ghee and tried NC food for about 2 weeks and I thought it worked initially but perhaps the ghee that was still in my system, as AS started wearing off after sometime. The food really has to be bland for this to work. The nose clip was uncomfortable to wear so I went back to ghee and is working as great as before. I had a super hungry day 3 days ago and I am paying for it on the scale but the last 2 days AS is strong again. I get like this every few days, especially during PMS. I had great results first month on SLD, losing 10 lb. Things have slowed-down but I am also in PMSing now and have increased my carbs. Since I started doing SLD, my taste level changed. I don't crave nuts and honey like I used to. I am craving more veggies now. I am not doing LC like before, as I am eating lots more starchy veggies like butternut squash, carrots, beets. Eating less protein than I did on LC. I used to eat 2 lb of meat a day before now it is maybe about 8-12 oz. Almost ala PHD, except I don't eat any potatoes or grains. I am pretty much sticking to highly beneficial foods according to my blood type.
I am so thankful for SLD, it has helped me tremendously with my hormonal carb binges.

RMS- glad to hear that ghee us continuing working well for you. Do you take 2 tbls or tsp? Or is it 1.5 Tbl. I have been taking 1 tbls twice a day and that seems to be working. I will proabably go down to 1 tbl when I get close to goal weight.
Now that the weather got colder, I really have to use hot water to melt it. ops! sorry to hear about the ghee melting in your suitcase. I have traveled before with a small glass jar and bubble wrap over it. Maybe you can try that.

My Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...orward-11.html

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 09-20-2013 at 08:53 AM..
Old 09-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #492
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/185/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
Hi everyone.
just a quick question for those having success on SLD.
Are you following LC or some other woe while trying SLD.
What is up with the gain when you don't do SLD?does that mean you were also eating a high carb item/more calories that caused the gain?
I am planning to start SLD tomorrow,and I was wondering why people gain when they stop SLD if their plan is LC(of course other than being off plan and gaining)
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #493
Blabbermouth!!!

Lowcarbella!
I am eating moderate carbs with SLD. My carbs come mainly from veggies and fruits. I also eat meat, fish, egg and fats. Some people are lucky and don't gain weight when they go off SLD. See this guy's journal. He stopped SLD couple of months ago and still have strong AS.
Morex's adventures in SLD
SLD naturally suppresses your appetite and you will find yourself eating less calories than before. I am eating about 1000 cal a day (some day more, some days lot more ) and pre-SLD I was eating about 1600-1800 cal a day. Seth Roberts says when you stop SLD you will gain some weight. I think this is just from eating more calories becuase you wont have AS. Of course if you follow LC or any other plan I don't believe you will gain all the weight back. You may gain a couple of pounds (this is just my guess). Some people keep taking 1 tbl of oil to keep AS in check or they return to SLD when they want to lose more weight.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #494
Senior LCF Member

Hi Marika
Thanks for that info.
My main reason for starting SLD is that I am sabotaging all my losses during weekend...it is horrible.I weighed 187 last Feb and today I weigh 185!!!
In between I keep gaining and losing the same 10-15 pounds.I lose well usually on weekdays,then family is home on weekends,and the binge monster joins me .I start with 'just one bite',before I know it,I have gained all that I lost plus some more.I was reading a lot of other threads on this issue and came across this diet.I was astonished by people talking AS on this diet and how bingeing ended,so I am very hopeful.
For my diet I follow Induction/Modified fat fast/NK and it works fairly well,if not for my weekend sabotage.
I also liked the idea of taking in oils and fats,since thats what I am doing anyway,only need to conform to the flavorless 2 hour rule.
Going shopping today to get some ELOO.I have ghee,but the nose clip hasnot arrived.
180:
175:
mega goal : 170 : Combined weights of 3 pregnancies will be gone forever
mega goal : 150 :
mega goal : tone allover,close and repair my diastasis and hernia(down to 2" from 10")
Push yourself. Because no one else is going to do it for you.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #495
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Lowcarbella!

Welcome to the thead!

I am also doing moderate carbs. I use sweet potatoes plain during the day at work and eat a regular dinner (Perfect Health Diet style).

This is supposed to really help with appetite suppression - it might be just what you need!
Old 09-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #496
Blabbermouth!!!

LCB, SLD is great for my hormonal binges. After a long time I had normal PMS last month without binging endlessly for days and gaining like 5 lb of fat in the process. Yes, that much! (if you consume nuts in large quantities along with honey and full fat yogurt for days).
I hope SLD works great for your binges!!!
Old 09-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #497
Blabbermouth!!!

Rough day today. PMS cravings kicked in and I had zero AS I had the same thing last month, so I hope tomorrow will be back to normal.
Increasing the ghee to 3 tbls for few days.

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 09-21-2013 at 03:13 PM..
Old 09-22-2013, 05:37 AM   #498
Junior LCF Member

Yesterday was an emotional eating day, sigh. AS was fine, but I let my brain over-ride it. But, today is a new day and a new start. I went ahead and did 2 TBS this morning to help me kick start the day.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #499
Blabbermouth!!!

RMS- I also took 2 tbls of ghee this morning. If I need it will do another tbl later.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #500
Junior LCF Member

Took my 2 TBS about 6:30 am and still not hungry. That's a good thing
Old 09-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #501
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Marika - I'm dealing with the same issue! I will feel better in a few days. Also, I moved my daughter into her dorm this weekend, so it is hard with a quiet house as well. A friend of mine from work also moved her son to college and she is alone now, so I will see if she wants to get together this week.

I've been off for three weeks now. I'm having trouble motivating myself to restart. Ive had a few doses of MCT oil but am not really doing it. Today I am going to go out and buy up my bland foods. I need to do both to make it work for me.

Good deal RMS123! I am going to take a dose of my MCT oil right now.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Old 09-23-2013, 04:31 AM   #502
Blabbermouth!!!

Good Morning ladies!

Yesterday I took 2 Tbls of ghee in the morning and ate very little for the rest of the day and in the evening took 1 tsp of ghee. I think 1 tsp in like 1/3 of the Tbls, so total 2.3 Tbls. I think I will stick with this amount till TOM.
Almond flour muffins are definitely my ditto food, so I can't have them in the house, especially during PMS. They are so nice and fluffy that I can eat 6 before I know it and they are sooooo high in calories. I am not making this devil food now!!!

KT- You will feel so much better when you re-start. You can do it, girl! You have done it before!
I hope the company of your friend helps. I am sure it is an adjustment for you

RMS- how did the rest of your day go yesterday?

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 09-23-2013 at 04:32 AM..
Old 09-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #503
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you, Marika! I needed the prompting!!!

I just took my MCT oil dose at work.

Cheese is my vice right now. I am sure the MCT oil will get this under control for me. I want it for the vitamin D and K2.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #504
Senior LCF Member

Hi,just started today with SLD.2 tbsp ELOO
It felt weird.
I didn't notice any difference so far.Will know in the weekend since thats when I lose it.
Coming out of TOM ,so there is lot of stress from that too.
Marika ,I hear you on PMS cravings.I used to have the worst PMS-cramps,cravings,migraines,bloating,edema,tendernes s...it all stopped like magic once I started LC esp NK(higher fat) and started on OPtivite-a PMS tablet.
Especially noticeable was the cramping-it went from a 9 to a 1 on a 1-10 scale.
I need to get out of the 180s and 170s.I have been stuck here for almost a year now.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:12 AM   #505
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WJS
Stats: 165/136/125 Height 5.5"
WOE: Trying HDE
Start Date: August 27, 2012
Hello. Started this morning taking 2 tbs ELVOO an hour before my coffee. I haven't noticed a difference yet but decided to take two tbs twice a day instead of 1twice a day as I did last time. Does anyone know if this is a good or bad idea?

I am feeling very fat after over a two week holiday and do not want to weigh. Hopefully it will work this time, perhaps it will take a little time and also the reason I thought it may be a good idea to up the amount to 4 tbs a day.
WJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:30 AM   #506
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJS View Post
Hello. Started this morning taking 2 tbs ELVOO an hour before my coffee. I haven't noticed a difference yet but decided to take two tbs twice a day instead of 1twice a day as I did last time. Does anyone know if this is a good or bad idea?

I am feeling very fat after over a two week holiday and do not want to weigh. Hopefully it will work this time, perhaps it will take a little time and also the reason I thought it may be a good idea to up the amount to 4 tbs a day.
Honestly I am not sure. I took 3 tbls 1 day and most of the time 2 tbls. You take the oil according to your weight. I don't rememebr the formula right now but it is on his website or the book. Maybe later I can look it up. With my weight, I should be taking 2 tbls day, and I think this is up to 200 lb. Maybe try it for few days I read that sometime one oil does not work as well as other and you may have to try different one. Also some people take longer to get AS. Good luck and keep us posted
Old 09-26-2013, 10:21 AM   #507
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi WJS,

For your size two tbsp should be sufficient. Although, I have taken 3 tbsp before and had good luck.

I notice that I do better when I take a break from the oil and then add it back in. Is this the same for anyone else? For instance, I took a week off and then added the oil back in and it seems to be back to helping me drop a few lbs. Does anyone else have this same situation?
Old 09-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #508
Blabbermouth!!!

Sunday, nice to know that taking break works well for you. I was off SLD for 3 weeks because my AS was too strong (nice problem to have, right? ) After 3 weeks AS started wearing off, so I got back because of PMS

Today I binged on lots of yogurt after almost 2 months being binge-free . I think I became too liberal with carbs. I guess I can't eat fruits during PMS. Going back to LC till TOM and than will only do higher carbs first half of the cycle. I am increasing ghee to 3 tbls till TOM and hope today will not repeat.

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 09-26-2013 at 02:09 PM..
Old 09-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #509
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi All!

Sunday - I am finally starting to get appetite suppression again. I was a bit lax in starting up on the oil when I came back from vacation. Today it finally has hit. I had to put down the cheese!!! I think I can go back to having a small amount when I am sure I have control of myself. I want the vitamin K2 and CLA. Today, I can barely manage to eat my sweet potato (ugh). I am up 5-6 pounds, so I will report back to see if I can get this off and break 191 soon. I would love to get into the 180s!!!! Wow, I would just faint I think, if I ever saw 185 on the scale again. Or 175. It has been decades...

This was my first break off the oil, so I don't really know. vacation is a unique situation.

WJS - as I recall, you take your weight x 2 to come up with the number of calories to take of the oil, subject to a max of 4 tablespoons to avoid going too far with it because you do need your other nutrients.

Marika - ha, the yogurt!!! I think I love dairy more than any one food. I do find that I have some days where I just eat too much and the next day I will barely eat. This is the opposite of what I used to do - eating a lot used to lead to eating even more the next day!
Old 09-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #510
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Marika & KT, I find that my tastebuds have changed as well since doing both PHD and oil. I used to love cheese especially yogurt, sour cream, and whip cream. I find that I love veggies and especially greens, avocado, artichoke and taters now. What on earth happened? I have no ideal! Is it the oil or could it be PHD? The only sweets that I enjoy are fruit and dark chocolate. I love berries, kiwi, mango and dark chocolate.

I have come back to my PHD staples, potatoes, sweet potatoes, avocadoes, cukes, spinach, romaine and lots of green peppers, jalapenos, cilantro and tomatoes. Protein for me is eggs, turkey, brazil and walnuts, salmon, & shrimp. Very limited beef and pork. I can eat these type of foods regularly and not have weight gain, but when I add wine or specialty foods, I will have issues. I think it is a sensitivity to the type of food that causes us to have problems.

As far as binging goes, I don't think I have issues since I started eating the PHD requirements, mostly the safe starches. I do understand how JUDDD or ADF could contribute to the binge attacks. Thank you for keeping the oil thread going. I realize that I am not participating as Seth intended, because I like to taste, but if and when I get to the point that I seriously want to diet, I will NC and eat blandly.