Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 05:12 AM   #391
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Okay. This morning weighed +5! since Sunday! Calories definately NOT the problem. Seems like I have read somewhere about newly used muscle cells plumpin.g up. I have really turned the activity upa lot this week. Would that be inflamation or glycogen or something else? Anybody know what I am talki.g about?

Today I decided to change it up a bit and have a BP coffee this a.m. I had a bunch of taters that needed dealing with so boiled them up. May be perfect timing for a short PH. How about PH plus oil shots? Seems like the fat would mess it up as the whole point is to pull from fat stores to process the tater. Hmmmm. What to do? For now, the coffee is from heaven.

July challenge
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2013, 08:32 AM   #392
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/231/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Cici,

I do have to fill my glycogen stores or I can't make it on 20 mile bike rides. I end up going up five pounds easily or more with that and the soreness. I don't go on the long rides for weight loss anymore, but I do sometimes go for fun and make it more leisurely.

I do eat a lot of potatoes Cici with no problems. I eat them plain and leave the hour window for the oil. I wonder if one reason I feel better is that the oil helps to absorb the vitamins, even with the window separating them.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #393
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am reading Jack Kruse's book now. His chapter on osteoporosis is really great. He talks about how he is finding young people with this problem when he has to operate on their spines and he cannot believe it. He discusses how our bones are yet another big casualty of our horrible western diet! It is amazing.

I am now going to have to figure out how to get more vitamin K2. A deficiency in magnesium, K2, and vitamin D3 is like the trifecta formula for getting osteoporosis!

Apparently, the K2 gets eliminated from our diet through modern food handling techniques. It sounds like our best chance at getting it is through dairy but the pasteurization kills it. I already buy KerryGold butter, so I am getting some there, but can't eat cheese because I go crazy with it, but it is in the raw cheese which I have seen at regular grocery stores like QFC.

I had heard of taking the D3 and the magnesium, but not the K2. I just read in the paper the other day that k2 deficiency has been implicated in Parkinson's disease.

It is amazing how well we are shooting ourselves with modern industrial food.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #394
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/118.8/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
KT- thanks for info on blue glasses. I did not know Kruse wrote a book. Off to check his site...

Cici- It could very well be water retention in muscles if your calories were in check.

Today I am having amazing AS. TOM arrived yesterday and since than I am eating baby portions again, just like the first few days when I began SLD.

Have a great weekend everyone!
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #395
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: Maintaining ±4 lbs.
KT, have been following this thread with interest, and wanted to post that I take a formula which includes magnesium, D3 and K2.

It's Bone Booster Complex and can be found via Google.

I started taking Bone Booster after I was diagnosed with osteopenia so wanted to thwart osteoporosis. In the 2 years I've been taking BB, it seems to be doing its job.

I also train with weights 4x a week and coupled with BB, I've been very satisfied with the results and so is my doctor.

The only downside is the dosage is 6 capsules @ day. For me, that is not a problem, since I have a med I must take am and pm, so I just include them.

They're very easy to swallow.

Gracie's Journal
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #396
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Gracie,

Welcome to the thread!

I'll check out the supplement. I do have to figure out calculating my intake if possible. I have a feeling too low...

I just eyeballed my D3. It is packed in corn oil! Ugh. I know it is a teeny bit but really, good grief...
Old 08-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #397
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

AS is very good today. It is funny, I was preparing lunch and ate some raw broccoli and got full. I know this is not enough food, so I ate some roasted broccoli when they came out of the oven with 2 oz lamb burger. The thing with SLD is I get fuller much faster and can stop right after few bites of food. Of course I can continue if I want to, especially if the food is flavorful. Many times I find myself full very fast but I do continue just because I don't want to get too low on calories. I average about 1000-1100 cal a day. It is was little higher during PMS. I know I could easily be satisfied on about 800 cal a day, but I know it is not healthy in the long run. My totals include the 2 tbs of ghee. I think once I reach my goal weight I will probably go down the 1 tbs of ghee a day and during PMS I will raise it up to 2 tbs. I just want to keep the momentum going for now.

My Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...orward-11.html
Old 08-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #398
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ah, very good!!!

I spent yesterday recovering from 3 days in a row of eating out Wed Thurs and Fri. Today's weight is at 192, which is an exceedingly good sign after all of that. The French restaurant (work thank you lunch from the boss) was over the top tasty at Friday lunch. I think all the cheese and bread freaked me out. I had a terrible time Friday night late. I was munching on seaweed to kill it. The two meals before didn't get to me, but there is something about that particular cheese.

My appetite is down today as compared to yesterday. I've had only 1/2 cup of keifer and a few bites of food to see if daughter's meal is coming along OK (messed up my window I forgot for a moment, but I seem fine - I had a 1/2 hour window anyway).

The thing is, when I hit a new low like 192, I tend to bounce away from it and fight for a while.

This doesn't feel like a fight.

I am hoping no more parties for a while so I can get some momentum going and eek out some weight loss before vacation next month.

Last edited by Key Tones; 08-18-2013 at 10:41 AM..
Old 08-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #399
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Holy moly, you guys! I read the whole thread! And I'm feeling the AS!!!

I woke up this morning and threw back 1.5 T of oil and then waited an hour to have my coffee. By the time my hour was up, my blood sugar was really low. PITA! And I had to eat. (Normally I IF and only eat once a day around 6 or 7 pm.) When I'm low, I tend to eat pretty out of control. I didn't do too bad this morning, but not great either. I had a good sized bowl of greek yogurt and quite a few honey roasted peanuts. I am happy I didn't have any wheat or grains, though. Anyway... when I eat early in the day, I am normally hungry all day and can't control myself at all. Or, if I do, it's a serious white knuckle thing. But I had no thoughts of food at all, like I don't even think the idea of eating crossed my mind. And we even went to trader joe's. So, I think I'm on my way!

I bought some organic flax oil at trader joe's w lignans. Do you guys know if this is good stuff? I'd kinda like to do all my oil in one shot, probably either 2 or 2.5 T in the evening. But I'm thinking about mixing EVCO and flax oil. I may ultimately do all flax oil, but good grief, I need to use up some of this costco-sized thing of EVCO! Is there any reason this wouldn't work for me? Is doing it all at once okay? I read about someone on the MDA thread doing that, but they didn't say much about it. Mostly I just want to be able to drink my coffee all day long. lol

So, I feel like the gymnema may have been doing something very similar to SLD. For one thing, gymnema makes it impossible to taste sweet. You can still taste other things, but if you put anything sweet in your mouth, its usually flavorless (although if it's sweet mixed w something else, you can taste the something else). I started thinking about it when I got to the part of this thread where you guys were talking about being freaked out by your continued fast weight loss and wanting to slow it down bc that's how I was feeling about gymnema, too. Now I'm using both.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #400
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Jayne,

Thanks for joining the thread! It is fun to see you hitting success so quickly! The thread in the main lobby will probably die out....

RE: the flax/EVOO - I know Seth Roberts (author) used flax for a long time. He nose-clipped it to avoid the flavor. The EVOO - if it isn't the light tasting type, same thing. I have read anecdotal notes from people that said they didn't need to nose clip, but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

RE: sweet flavors - the weird thing is, sugar by itself does not seem to cause a problem. Seth actually used sugar water but does not recommend it now as the flavorless form of calories. He said if it is not combined with a flavor, the brain does not make the association. Weird, huh?

Stephan Guyenet says not to sweeten food. This makes sense - the sweetener plus the flavor seems to make the brain/hunger central go for it.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:16 AM   #401
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jane! Nice to have you here.

Congrats on feeling immediate AS. It happened to me too after the very first dosage.

I also read that some people take dosage at once and it works for them.
I believe I read not to mix the oils, but I am not sure
Old 08-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #402
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the welcome you guys!

Yesterday went well. I ended up giving a third of my normal dinner to hubby. Was a half pound down this morning.

This morning I had 2T of flax oil ad will have 1 T of coconut tonight. I've definitely felt like my appetite is down. I tracked my food today and it comes in at 1283 with the CO that I haven't had yet. And I'm feeling great. I think that is pretty close to what I normally have if I'm on top of my game, but I haven't been on top of my game lately.

I'm not sure if I believe the set-point part of this, since I do think that just eating all this extra fat would have an AS effect, but I really hope its true!!! I love the idea that my set point could be moving down! I'm not sure why that sounds so god, but it does. lol
Old 08-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #403
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It seems to cause this really fast drop in weight. There is no boomerang. I can't explain the rapid losses we've seen in the thread in my auto signature except that it must be the set point drop.

It's not like we were stuffing ourselves then dieted. I had just dropped about 8 pounds, then dropped another 8 adding the oil. It was so great!!!
Old 08-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #404
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Old News Story I Found. It appears to originate from 2006, although this one is newer. I haven't heard anything about it. Not crazy about drugs to block the sense of smell!

This nasal spray can mask food aroma, and beat hunger
Tuesday, January 18, 2011 2:26:51 AM by IANS

London, Jan 18 (IANS) A nasal spray that masks the smell of food could help curb hunger or yearing for food.Louisiana State University researchers in the US have discovered that a type of drug used to lower blood pressure can also curb appetite and lead to weight loss.

The drug CP404 is a calcium channel blocker. Calcium produced by the body can narrow blood vessels and raise blood pressure.

Calcium-channel blockers work by helping the blood vessels relax, lowering pressure, a Daily Mail report said.

However, calcium is also thought to play a role in the sense of smell. Results from the first human trial of the spray show it blocked the sense of smell compared with a simple saline spray and had no side-effects, according to a university statement.

As a result, participants were less interested in food and also consumed less.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:40 AM   #405
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
Stats: 125/106/105 5'
WOE: WW
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
Sorry if I'm off topic....

But you all are amazing!!

I have not had time to read the whole thread....but I am impressed.

I am ok with my weight.....but I am a serious nibbler. And that gets me into all kinds of trouble. It gets me off plan faster than anything. I really have to watch it all the time. And that is what attracts me to this. I need to be able not to nibble between meals.

I will be starting a new job soon, and I can't be eating all day at my desk.

So, anyway, thanks for posting all of this. It is really great!!

Anna

Special thanks to ouizoid for pm's with questions/answers.
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:48 AM   #406
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WJS
Stats: 165/136/125 Height 5.5"
WOE: Trying HDE
Start Date: August 27, 2012
I am still juicing but looking at starting this next week. I received the book yesterday so will look forward to reading it. How is everyone doing? Are you still following it? Have you continued to lose weight or has it slowed or stopped?
WJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:54 AM   #407
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
gOOD MORNING ALL!

Just stopping in to say that I have had a very busy time for the last two weeks. Only remembering my oil very sporadically. Amazingly, I still have appetite suppression although eating a few days which were definitely not PHD and not healthy.

Starting today, I am doing the 3 shots once more and will let you know how I fare. I believe that I will continue to use the oil on a week to week basis. Giving myself breaks between the trials.

Someone asked if we have periods when this stops working. I have not tried to do this long term but I read on the SLD site of many who are doing this longterm with no issues.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:59 AM   #408
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
Sunday--I've been doing this off and on since, I think, 2007. It works when I remember to do it It isn't always the most convenient way to reduce appetite, and as all of you have noticed, there are times one really would rather HAVE an appetite, but if I were to be as diligent as say Ethesis or Morex over on the SLD page, it would work beautifully.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #409
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Thanks Ouiz! I am more than happy to keep this for a tool because it is really simple.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #410
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Sunday!

Ouizoid - yes she is quite the resource!

WJS - so far, so good for me. My typical pattern for the last couple of years (since low carb alone does not work anymore) is some time during the year, I lose weight and after a while I can't stand whatever it is I was doing anymore and weight starts to creep slowly up until I freak out and figure out what to do next.

This doesn't feel like that. This feels sustainable with healthy paleo foods, so I am happy.

I had a couple of weeks with a birthday and parties that had unusually tasty food, but this week has been quiet and I am at the low end of my weight range (192) and it is sticking easily. This might mean I could be 191 by the weekend, but we will see.

I am approaching my weight in my youth, so don't think I can continue to see any more weight easily fall off. My high weight in junior high was 190 (I remember because I was sent to weight watchers in 8th grade at 170, lost to 155, then gained quickly to 190 - talk about a boomerang). My average weight in high school was 175 (low 160, high 190). I'm now 48. This may be the hardest fight I have coming up, but we will see.

It looks like everyone from my weigh in thread is gone. I might have to find another thread or talk Amber into coming back to rouse the honey badgers!

Last edited by Key Tones; 08-22-2013 at 08:14 AM..
Old 08-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #411
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hello everyone!

I have been doing well, except for yesterday. It seems like my weight lost for the past 3 weeks happened too rapidly. My AS was very strong since I started SLD, so I was eating till satisfied. I have lost 8 lb in 3 weeks and I guess my weight got lower than my set point. I read when this happen the appetite will return but after few days the set point will get lower and the AS will kick in again. You just have to white knuckle it. I had a stressful day yesterday and this combined with zero AS, made me lose control and eat a lot of food, much more than I had for the past 3 weeks. It was almost a binge. It got me really depressed, it felt like SLD stopped working. I took my usuall dosage of ghee yesterday and it had zero effect. I could not believe it this was happening. I went to SLD message board and started reading some old messages and there it was, what I experienced happens to some people. This was reassuring but nonetheless I am up on the scale by about 3 lbs. Today I am absolutely fine, it feels like yesterday never happened. AS is back and it is strong!!!!
So, what do I do going forward??? Reduce to 1 tbs a day and lose it slowly so that I don't experience what I did yesterday. Or do 2 tbs as usual but try to eat more food. I was averaging 1000 cal for the past 3 weeks (with couple of higher days). I am thinking of sticking with 2 tbs and just adding little more protein (that should add up some calories). If this ever happened again, at least I know what it is and I know what to do (just eat more protein and drink more water and be patient).

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 08-22-2013 at 10:40 AM..
Old 08-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #412
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Markia,

Hang in there! I have had a few days with a big appetite. For me, they followed days where I hardly ate anything or where I got into something unusually tasty (the night after the French restaurant meal was rough going!!! Good grief I know what will happen to me again if I get into melted cheesy/buttery dishes involving french bread!!!).

I don't think you ate 10K calories, and even if you did I think you will be just fine! I haven't read up on how people do when their weight levels out. I do remember reading that weight plummets in the first few weeks then settles into a slow loss from there. I'm fine with that!

I am mulling over going back to taking unsalted kerrygold in the evenings instead of the second MCT oil dose for the CLA/vitamin K2. I forget to take the afternoon MCT oil dose some days (I forgot two days in a row this week) anyway.

Last edited by Key Tones; 08-22-2013 at 12:25 PM..
Old 08-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #413
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, KT! I am happy to feel normal today
Old 08-23-2013, 08:39 AM   #414
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Happy to report that AS is back and is strong again! I was down 1.8 this morning, still have 2.2 lb to get to my lowest weight. When I get to 130 lb again, I guess I have to watch out for appetite increase. This time I think I know how to approach it. I did not have much meat prepared when the increased appetite hit me so I dived into almond muffins. This time I will just drink more broth and have the protein ready to go.
I have to say that I was really concerned 2 days ago that SLD magic stopped. I wanted to cry Feeling relived now and ready to get to my goal weight with SLD.

How is everyone??
Old 08-23-2013, 09:05 AM   #415
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WJS
Stats: 165/136/125 Height 5.5"
WOE: Trying HDE
Start Date: August 27, 2012
Well done Marika! You must be so relieved. Two pounds is nothing I am sure you will be there in no time. It becomes so difficult the closer we get to goal. I would like to lose 8 pounds but know once I quit juicing that will most likely go up to 10. It is so difficult!
WJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #416
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Woot!!! Good news Marika!

I'm having great AS today as well. I have had only little samples of cheese and crackers one one sample size slice of peach today while at Pike's Place Market and two oil shots. I feel nothing.

Dinner out tonight!

Last edited by Key Tones; 08-23-2013 at 03:24 PM..
Old 08-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #417
Major LCF Poster!

OMG, you guys. I am way, way off kilter. I don't think this has anything to do with shangri-la. I've been having difficulties for about a month now and just haven't been able to reel myself in.

I've been doing my oil shot in the middle of the night. I'm trying to work my way up to 3T, but last night took 37g (3T is 42g). I would really like to be taking it at night so I can have a coffee cup in my hand all day long, as is my usual habit. But I'm worried that the middle of the night isn't the best time for AS. Does anyone else here do middle of the night?
Old 08-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #418
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have read one account somewhere of someone that put oil in water and kept it by the bathroom sink to sip when she got up in the night. It worked for her anyway.

You could try it. I have read several accounts it people losing interest in coffee spontaneously on Shangri la, including Morex (he was happy w two cups instead of very large quantities).

Hang in there Jayne. It can take a while to kick in.

Last edited by Key Tones; 08-23-2013 at 08:12 PM..
Old 08-24-2013, 03:47 AM   #419
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

KT- good job!

OK- I am down 2 lb this morning. Only .2 lb away from my lowest weight, so no damage from my crazy day

Jayne- I read the same thing as KT, that some people take it at night and it works for them. I stopped drinking coffee few years ago so can't tell you my personal reaction. Would it be possible for you to take the oil when you get up in the morning and than wait 1 hr, if not try the night shot and see what happens.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #420
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
Would it be possible for you to take the oil when you get up in the morning and than wait 1 hr, if not try the night shot and see what happens.
That is what I do, or did while I was taking the oil. I took it before even getting out of bed for the day. When I went to the bathroom to pee first thing, I would take the oil. I kept my oil in the bathroom for that purpose, along with a tablespoon. Go back to bed for a bit. By the time I got downstairs for breakfast an hour had passed. I was just doing the 1 TBL in the AM, but you can take 2. I cut back naturally from my usual 3 cups down to 2. I got in my 2nd TBL somewhere during the day, depending on what I was doing that day.

Last edited by dawnyama; 08-24-2013 at 08:31 AM..
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote