Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #361
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Started my day with a cold shower and have to say I loved the after effect. Hugely energizi.g. Skipped breakfast, 48 minutes fat burning exercize then went to work (house cleaning 3 hours). Chicken salad at 12:30. Great start to the day. No oil shots but really comfortable with appetite level.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2013, 08:59 PM   #362
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Cici--yes!!! That is just what I mean.

When I was a kid, I used to start warm and turn the shower colder and colder until it was all the way on ice cold. It is exhilarating!

I had a work party and was happy with a large salad and just a small sampling of the other foods. It is so odd to have such control! It didn't bother me to see other people eating up; I wasn't really aware of it. It must be how most people experience parties.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:09 AM   #363
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120.8/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
KT- Last time I tried the CT was winter and I could not do it.-Brrrrrrrr. Maybe I will try it now before the summer is over. Will let you know if I do.
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:39 AM   #364
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

M - yes, do let me know if you decide to try it again.

I made it back down to 192 this morning. Woot! I wonder what it would have been without all the salt from yesterday.

No matter. Dinner out tonight. My boyfriend has family in town and I need to make an appearance.

I started with a warm shower and turned it down to cool. Making progress.

I also read about light from electronics giving the brain "time to get up and look for food" signals setting off a cascade of hormonal signals that work against you if you are doing this at night. I ordered the blue blocking sunglasses with side shields. Good grief. Jack Kruse idea again

I decided to try breakfast again. Not a big breakfast. But I will eat upon waking. I am curious about this now.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Old 08-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #365
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Work thank you lunch tomorrow to a fancy restaurant. It is relentless. This is the kind of life that makes dieting futile...until now! The Shangri-La is an amazing hack!
Old 08-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #366
Blabbermouth!!!

KT- have fun!
I disconnected my electronic clock in the bedroom few months back. I am debating getting the blue glasses

I agree, SLD hack is amazing.

My scale is stack for the past 3 days I think that's due to impeding TOM and TMI. At least I am not gaining like I always did. AS is still great!
Old 08-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #367
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WJS
Stats: 165/136/125 Height 5.5"
WOE: Trying HDE
Start Date: August 27, 2012
Want to say thank you for the welcomes and I have finally read the thread! I plan on doing the SLD but at the moment I am currently on a juice fast and would like to finish it. In the meantime, I have ordered the book and will be keeping an eye on the thread and all the wonderful successes here.
WJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #368
WJS
Senior LCF Member

I forgot to say that I am a little worried this may not work for me because I did the PH for eight days and gained weight.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #369
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WJS - it looks like you have been doing some hard-core dieting! It might take a while for the fat setpoint to normalize. Maybe Ouizoid will jump in?

I was doing a potato hack when I started this, which is a nearly vegan, low-fat regimne. I thought I was trapped to do this for weight loss here forward, and could not believe this would spur weight loss after that. But it did.

Marika - I'll keep you posted on how the blue blockers go.

Last edited by Key Tones; 08-15-2013 at 02:44 PM..
Old 08-15-2013, 11:22 PM   #370
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Key Tones, I lost on Dukan but stalled and couldn't get the final 10 off that is when I went to JUDDD almost a year ago. I couldn't control my binging on most UD's but did manage to control my weight within about five pounds despite the binging until Christmas. Just a few weeks free set me way back and I have been trying to lose the gain ever since! I tried the PH and gained an extra four pounds!

I have been juicing for about 11 days now and consistently losing half a pound to a pound a day! I plan on doing this until I at least lose the gain on JUDDD and Christmas. I will give it a try but because the PH being a bland diet didn't work for me, I am just a little worried that this may not. If not I am not sure what to do to lose the last bit and then maintain. I seem to gain at an amazingly fast pace. For example I took two days off before juicing (very bad food and a binge) I put on eight pounds! So I must get it under control.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:16 AM   #371
Blabbermouth!!!

WJS- I think PH is completely different concept than SLD. I would say give SLD a fair try and see for yourself. I am not an expert but I don't see a reason why can't you do SLD while in juice fast. Just remember to observe 2 hr flavorless window.
I am very curios abut your juicing. Do you do mostly veggies or mix fruit and veggies? Do you eat anything else, or it is pure juicing.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:29 AM   #372
Blabbermouth!!!

Yesterday afternoon was little over the top as far as eating is concerned. I was starving and ate a lot. Not a total binge but the most amount of calories I have eaten since starting SLD 2 weeks ago. It was the peak of PMS I guess. I think TOM will be here today (keeping my fingers crossed). That would mean that thanks to SLD I only had 1 day with over-the- top- food and would not even considered it a full binge. So I think this is amazing!!! I started SLD in the midst of PMS and lost 7.4 lb in 2 weeks (well, I am up 1 today, so technically 6.4, but that's and artificial 1 lb gain). Normally during these 2 weeks I would be putting on 5-7 lb instead and feel miserable with all the carbs I would inhaled.
So SLD has past the most difficult test for me. I think once the TOM is over the scale will start moving down again.
I think next PMS I will try the nose clipping technique with protein as well as oil. I have been reading lots of posts about it on SLD forum. We don't have to use oil as unflavored calories for ever, you can nose clip any food. Interesting concept.

My Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...orward-11.html
Old 08-16-2013, 05:09 AM   #373
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Just a fly-by to comment on how well you're doing as a group despite the inevitable ups and downs.

I had a run of a neighbour dying then others being ill and they needed some support so I haven't been able to check in for a while. I'm away at the later part of next week for a few days holiday.

Best wishes to all of you.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:58 AM   #374
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
WJS- I think PH is completely different concept than SLD. I would say give SLD a fair try and see for yourself. I am not an expert but I don't see a reason why can't you do SLD while in juice fast. Just remember to observe 2 hr flavorless window.
I am very curios abut your juicing. Do you do mostly veggies or mix fruit and veggies? Do you eat anything else, or it is pure juicing.
Thank you Marika, I do plan on giving it a good go. I must wait until I'm through juicing to start the oil though. I am doing just pure juicing. A documentary a few weeks back inspired me called Fat Sick and nearly Dead to start juicing. Two fat guys of which one was extremely obese lost a huge amount of weight juicing for 60 days.

Outside of one that is fruit for breakfast you are meant to have about 20% fruit 80% vegetables. The first three days were murder with all the detox effects (probably made worse after my two day binge ) and was still feeling quite bad after five days but now feel amazing! Not to mention I have never lost weight this quickly in my life. It is a complete pain in regards to the actual juicing and the mess but I will continue to juice even if it is just for breakfast from now on. I really think I was missing many nutrients before this.

Below is the link that is from Joe who did the documentary. I found it very useful but don't follow any of the plans or the recipes. I just experiment and use as many different veggies as possible. I also use the "community" forum to read of others experience.

Juicing for Weight Loss | Reboot With Joe | Fat Sick & Nearly Dead

Have you started eating bland? You mentioned earlier you were just doing the oil for now.

Last edited by WJS; 08-16-2013 at 05:59 AM..
Old 08-16-2013, 08:38 AM   #375
Blabbermouth!!!

SS- So nice to see you. I missed you, girl!
I know you were gone for a good cause. You are such a great supportive person. Have a great vacation next week!

WJS- Thanks for the info on juicing. I will read more on it later
I have not tried the bland food yet as SLD works great on it's own so far.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #376
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Marica, that is incredible that it is working so well for you only using the oil. I suspect that wouldn't be the case with me, I'm sure I would have to be quite strict for it to work if at all. But fingers crossed, I can't wait to try it!
Old 08-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #377
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi SlowSure!!!! Good to see you back!

WJS - I was concerned that I had run myself into the ground doing the McDougall diet. I did the milk cure diet for at least a week, maybe it was two weeks, just to reset the system. I was certain I had run myself into the ground and lost lean muscle mass. I did this because I wanted to sort out the difference between lean muscle gain and whatever would come next (I had not yet decided). I only went up a few pounds, so that was good. I could not find raw milk, but I found grass-fed non-homoginized milk with low heat pasturization at PCC Natural Markets, then mixed that with the cheap keifer at Trader Joes (it has inulin!). I felt like a million bucks while doing that, it was amazing. I felt like I regained strength and slept well.

The other thing to watch for is just the weight of a little extra food in the system and the effect of sodium if you add it. This is not fat gain, so this is worth the few extra pounds.

You have been doing something more intense than I had been, so if you want to kick over to regular food, give yourself leeway!!!!!

Marika - I find that my appetite increases after two things. One, is when I have an incredible appetite suppression day. The next day I want to eat more. I think this is just the adipostat at work (the body balancing where it thinks you need to be). The other is when I have a tasty food day. I totally think tasty food eating raises the fat set point. I eat more the next day. I think it is just the natural flow of things. Stephan Guyenet knows what he is talking about!!! At least, that is my n=1 result.

Last edited by Key Tones; 08-16-2013 at 09:47 AM..
Old 08-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #378
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJS View Post
Marica, that is incredible that it is working so well for you only using the oil. I suspect that wouldn't be the case with me, I'm sure I would have to be quite strict for it to work if at all. But fingers crossed, I can't wait to try it!
You will be surprised. I have tried everything to have appetite suppression. Every new supplement out there, you name it I have tried it. I have tried fat fast, Atkins' low carb, even taking coconut oil WITH my meals, everything!!! Only thing that worked is hcg, but you cannot take that forever. And the diet you are on while doing the hcg is incredibly boring So, that being said I was skeptical doing this as well. But I have flavorless oil at home so didn't have to buy anything special. And I had nothing to lose by trying, so I did!

But taking just the flavorless coconut oil I have in the house 1 hour before eating anything has worked like a charm! I am surprised it has worked so well. I am not one to skip meals, what can I say but I love food?! But this past week or so I have skipped quite a few surprising me totally. I am quite happy. I know that the oil is doing good on my insides too. I already was using it on my skin and for oil pulling. But the timing is key! Using that one hour window is the trick

I will add that I am not dieting in any sense of the word. I am eating all the bad stuff I can get my hands on. I am just taking the oil in that one hour window. I am getting ready to go back to the hcg protocol, but have to get over this kicka** cold I caught on my way home from Japan first.

Last edited by dawnyama; 08-16-2013 at 09:49 AM..
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #379
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Keytones, I am a little worried about putting on weight once I start eating solids. Apparently it is normal to gain 2 pounds immediately but I'm not normal! It sounds like you have found something that works well to say the least for you. I will be watching the thread with interest.

Dawnyama, that is really encouraging that it is working so well for you. As I said before I can't wait to try it and see how it will work for me. I will start soon after introducing solids.

I have loads of coconut oil but it is the solid type with a lot of flavour and a strong coconut smell. Do any of you think this would be OK to use if I hold my nose?
Old 08-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #380
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Believe me I am shocked myself. When mojocat mentioned this here few months back I got the book, read it and took 1 tbls of oil in the middle of the binge instead of in 2 hr flavorless window. I said to myself there is no way this is going to work so I quit. I had miserable next few months binging every PMS for 10 days at the time, total misery! and believe me I was binging big time! So 2 weeks ago after I binged in the morning, I came across this thread and the light ball went off again. I decided to try this again, properly this time. I found a 2 hr flavorless window and took my first tbl of CO. Couple hours later I was not believing what's happening. I could not think of eating any more carbs. I was not hungry anymore. In fact I could not even face eating dinner that night. Instead I took another tbl of oil, this time it was ghee and since that day my whole relationship with food has turned 360. I am taking 1 tbls ghee twice a day with nose clipped (I use swimmer's clip). I try to make the flavorless window little longer than 1 hr if possible 1.5-2 hr after and before eating just to be on a safe side. I had few hungry days in between but not a binge ever since I started. I did not have to do anything different besides taking the oil. My taste for food has changed automatically and I started reaching for more veggies. I am still low carb because it makes me feel better but I eat plenty vegetables and some fruits. I don't crave sweat anymore so fruits don't appeal to me like they used to. I don't crave honey like I used to crave. I have 1 pc of fruit every other day otherwise is meat, fish, eggs and plenty of veggies. I used to eat very hefty portions before even when I was not binging. I always had a good appetite. Now my portions sizes have reduced dramatically.

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 08-16-2013 at 10:38 AM..
Old 08-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #381
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I have loads of coconut oil but it is the solid type with a lot of flavour and a strong coconut smell. Do any of you think this would be OK to use it
I think you could. My ghee has flavor too so I use nose clips and follow up with water and rinse my mouth and lips very well with warm water. I don't taste nothing when I remove the nose clip, so I know it is working. If you taste the CO than this will not work and you may want to try refined CO or other oils like MCT, refined walnut, ELOO, etc.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #382
Blabbermouth!!!

Dawn, I am very happy for you
Old 08-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #383
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Marika - I find that my appetite increases after two things. One, is when I have an incredible appetite suppression day. The next day I want to eat more. I think this is just the adipostat at work (the body balancing where it thinks you need to be). The other is when I have a tasty food day. I totally think tasty food eating raises the fat set point. I eat more the next day. I think it is just the natural flow of things. Stephan Guyenet knows what he is talking about!!! At least, that is my n=1 result.
I think you got this right, KT! I think in my case the hormones were little bit to blame as well.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #384
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I think you could. My ghee has flavor too so I use nose clips and follow up with water and rinse my mouth and lips very well with warm water. I don't taste nothing when I remove the nose clip, so I know it is working. If you taste the CO than this will not work and you may want to try refined CO or other oils like MCT, refined walnut, ELOO, etc.
Wow, Marika that really is incredible to think that it is the result of oil!

I too have binging problems but being 54 and post menopausal, I don't have PMS as a reason. If the oil works for me it would work for anyone! It must be very exciting for you, I know I would be ecstatic.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #385
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Hi everybody. Enjoying the discussion as usual.

KT. Today was day three starting with cold shower followed by activity and no food until after noon. Today, because of work there was no chance to eat until after five. Starting the day differently sure seems to have clicked for me. I have not done any oil shots in that time so guess I am off topic. May have to chug some oil so I can hang with you, lol.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:41 PM   #386
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
You will be surprised. I have tried everything to have appetite suppression. Every new supplement out there, you name it I have tried it. I have tried fat fast, Atkins' low carb, even taking coconut oil WITH my meals, everything!!! Only thing that worked is hcg, but you cannot take that forever. And the diet you are on while doing the hcg is incredibly boring So, that being said I was skeptical doing this as well. But I have flavorless oil at home so didn't have to buy anything special. And I had nothing to lose by trying, so I did!

But taking just the flavorless coconut oil I have in the house 1 hour before eating anything has worked like a charm! I am surprised it has worked so well. I am not one to skip meals, what can I say but I love food?! But this past week or so I have skipped quite a few surprising me totally. I am quite happy. I know that the oil is doing good on my insides too. I already was using it on my skin and for oil pulling. But the timing is key! Using that one hour window is the trick

I will add that I am not dieting in any sense of the word. I am eating all the bad stuff I can get my hands on. I am just taking the oil in that one hour window. I am getting ready to go back to the hcg protocol, but have to get over this kicka** cold I caught on my way home from Japan first.
Thank you for your encouraging words!

HA! isn't it so cool and effective! You bet I'm going to do the same thing when I am on vacation. I bought these little glass blue bottles that look like cough medicine. I am going to carry these to Disneyland and will be eating whatever that week but taking the oil shots to prevent the insane amount of weight gain I would get from this!

I'll go back to my bland food when I get back! I'm not leaving for a few weeks.

Last edited by Key Tones; 08-16-2013 at 11:42 PM..
Old 08-16-2013, 11:48 PM   #387
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Believe me I am shocked myself. When mojocat mentioned this here few months back I got the book, read it and took 1 tbls of oil in the middle of the binge instead of in 2 hr flavorless window. I said to myself there is no way this is going to work so I quit. I had miserable next few months binging every PMS for 10 days at the time, total misery! and believe me I was binging big time! So 2 weeks ago after I binged in the morning, I came across this thread and the light ball went off again. I decided to try this again, properly this time. I found a 2 hr flavorless window and took my first tbl of CO. Couple hours later I was not believing what's happening. I could not think of eating any more carbs. I was not hungry anymore. In fact I could not even face eating dinner that night. Instead I took another tbl of oil, this time it was ghee and since that day my whole relationship with food has turned 360. I am taking 1 tbls ghee twice a day with nose clipped (I use swimmer's clip). I try to make the flavorless window little longer than 1 hr if possible 1.5-2 hr after and before eating just to be on a safe side. I had few hungry days in between but not a binge ever since I started. I did not have to do anything different besides taking the oil. My taste for food has changed automatically and I started reaching for more veggies. I am still low carb because it makes me feel better but I eat plenty vegetables and some fruits. I don't crave sweat anymore so fruits don't appeal to me like they used to. I don't crave honey like I used to crave. I have 1 pc of fruit every other day otherwise is meat, fish, eggs and plenty of veggies. I used to eat very hefty portions before even when I was not binging. I always had a good appetite. Now my portions sizes have reduced dramatically.
THank you for your words of encouragement too! And for writing this up. I think I will need to extend my window to two hours as well, esp. when I go on vacation.

I took the oil shot an hour before the fancy French restaurant lunch, I think it would have been better if I had given it longer. I'll be sure to try that while on vacation!
Old 08-16-2013, 11:49 PM   #388
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Hi everybody. Enjoying the discussion as usual.

KT. Today was day three starting with cold shower followed by activity and no food until after noon. Today, because of work there was no chance to eat until after five. Starting the day differently sure seems to have clicked for me. I have not done any oil shots in that time so guess I am off topic. May have to chug some oil so I can hang with you, lol.
Cici - I did the same thing and managed to wash my hair in completely cold water. Woot!

Please hang out regardless...
Old 08-16-2013, 11:55 PM   #389
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OK, according to Dr. Kruse I should not be on electronic devices at this hour because it sets off a cascade of hormonal chaos that messes up circadian rhythms and hormonal systems involved in weigh regulation. Well, I received my sunglasses today, so I have these blue blockers on right now. I hope they work. Here is one of the reviews I read about them:

Uvex S0360X Ultra-spec 2000 Safety Eyewear,

Effective Blue Light Blocker September 25, 2012

By BlueThetaWave

Amazon Verified Purchase

As a researcher in the field of Sleep and Circadian Rhythms, I was ecstatic to find that people were using these glasses to improve sleep and adjust their circadian rhythm. For those who may not be aware, here's a brief explanation on why these would work: Our bodies are programmed to release melatonin during the night. With the advent of artificial light, we can expose our eyes to light during the night. When your eyes are exposed to light during night, melatonin release is shut down, disrupting your daily circadian rhythm (your brain thinks it's daytime when it is really night time), making it difficult to fall asleep. The receptors in your eyes that will convey the signal to halt melatonin release are most sensitive to light in the blue spectrum, providing an opportunity to prevent circadian disruption.

This does not mean that putting on these glasses in the middle of the day will make you fall asleep. I won't go into the details, but these will only be effective for people who stay up well past sunset (9:00 PM or later) and expose themselves to bright light (TV, computer, most room light). They could also be used by shift workers or people suffering jetlag trying to shift their circadian rhythms, but that is not simple, as there are many factors that go into modifying circadian rhythms correctly, and one could just as easily make things worse.

I try to wear these about an hour before bedtime, because I'm usually looking a computer screen or TV. By blocking out light, and specifically blue light, wearing these glasses helps me fall asleep much quicker, and prevents blue light from disrupting my circadian rhythm.

The only downside is you will look like a mad scientist wearing them around the house. Also, anything blue colored will look gray and I can not differentiate between yellow and white text (major problem for anyone playing Diablo 3).
As another reviewer also mentioned, if you wear glasses, these won't easily fit over your glasses. It barely works for me, and I have small frames.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:18 AM   #390
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Eat your butter!!!

From Seth Roberts blog 9-26-12

Secrets of a Long Life: Butter, Pork Belly, No Medicine

The New York Times recently ran a story about a 107-year-old woman named Juliana Koo, who lives in New York City. Her longevity secrets are remarkably close to what I say on this blog:

“Somebody asked her the secret of long life,” said Ying-Ying Yuan, a step-granddaughter of Mrs. Koo. “She said, ‘No exercise, eat as much butter as you like and never look backwards.’”

Shirley Young said her mother also likes pork bellies, “especially the hot part, but she doesn’t overdo anything.”

“And she doesn’t take any medicine,” she said. “When doctors give her medicine, she usually hides it, or when she takes something, she takes half a pill. People keep on giving her Chinese herbs, things like that. She never takes them.”