Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 05:13 AM   #271
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/116.8/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
Sunday- I have read Morex's story. AMAZING! For those of you who have not, you should read it. The pics he posted also speak for themselves.

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 08-07-2013 at 05:14 AM..
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #272
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Sunday - you are funny! I should find myself an eyedropper bottle. That is a good idea!

No exciting results for me to post today. I seem to be bouncing around the same weight too.

Man, this place is a dang food bomb today. There is free catered breakfast overkill from some meeting, and someone decided we will have a party today too. I decided to do super bland + no texture today, too (potato soup plain). I'm going to avoid crunchy foods today too (no kale chips - maybe veg soup pureed instead). Oh well...You know, with the MCT oil shot this morning, I feel like I can walk away. It is weird. I want to save the good meals and treats for when I can have it with my daughter or friends.

I half watched extreme weight loss last night while doing housework. Poor girl, they were showing her how delicious to make the food. Who knows how much further I ahead I would be if I had just saved tasty foods for the weekend and gone bland all week all these years. I would have been happy to do it! Oh well.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html

Last edited by Key Tones; 08-07-2013 at 08:39 AM..
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #273
Blabbermouth!!!

Happy to report that AS kicked-in again after my very ravenous day yesterday.

Anyone else noticed enhanced sense of smell on SLD? I have been cooking today for the past 3 hrs and can detect all the flavors. Also, when I walk by a restaurant I am noticing all the aromas. Even when I open the fridge I can smell the veggies. I never experienced this before. Thankfully this does not make me more hungry.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #274
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, me too!!! I have been holding my breath everywhere worried the smell of food is going to mess up my AS!!! LOL!!!

Definitely I have heightened odor and flavor detection systems
Old 08-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #275
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have great appetite control today too. Yay!

Good thing since the party is being set up right across from my office. I'm full on two large potatoes (soup form)
Old 08-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #276
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Interesting about the smell factor. Has anyone else had the experience of taking the oil and then one hour afterwards having to run to the rest room, because it seems as is if you have been drinking tea and water all day? This has been my experience the last 2 days. I feel almost as if I am flushing out everything. Very strange.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #277
Blabbermouth!!!

This is a good post form MDA about what does it mean when AS stops temporarily:

If you have AS, but then lose it suddenly, that's actually a good sign. According to the SLD theory, you lose your appetite because of the fact that your setpoint lowers below your current weight (or fat level, or whatever the trigger turns out to be), so your appetite is suppressed because you don't need as much for weight maintenance. The body is actually "trying" to reach the new (lower) weight.

When you drop below that new weight setpoint, your appetite will increase again and your body will "try" to encourage you to eat back "up" to the new setpoint. If you can stay the course, keep taking the oil and eating in the same way that allowed the weight loss in the first place (ie: smaller amounts d/t the AS), the setpoint will eventually drop again and you will then have the great AS again, and your weight will hopefully respond by dropping again. It's a temporary appetite increase - not a reason to switch oils.

My Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...orward-11.html

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 08-07-2013 at 02:38 PM..
Old 08-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #278
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Interesting about the smell factor. Has anyone else had the experience of taking the oil and then one hour afterwards having to run to the rest room, because it seems as is if you have been drinking tea and water all day? This has been my experience the last 2 days. I feel almost as if I am flushing out everything. Very strange.
Hmm...I have not noticed it. It sounds like people who are in ketosis when they run to the bathroom all day.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #279
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Marika,
It feels like ketosis but there is absolutely no way, is there? I am eating safe starches and sporadically some kefir, yogurt. I also notice a bit of queasiness when I wait about 30 minutes from the oil. It is assisting me to not even notice that I haven't eaten. I could see how this would work well for fasting period, because you do not have an appetite as long as you take the oil.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #280
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I do seem to have spells where I am doing the same but not right after the oil. Hmm. Interesting.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #281
Blabbermouth!!!

Sunday- some people on JUDDD report being in ketosis on DD. I don't think your calories are that low, right?
Old 08-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #282
Blabbermouth!!!

Sunday, this could also mean that there is a whoosh fairy around the corner
Old 08-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #283
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Interesting - I just read Morex's story. This is happening to me. I will admit that I went to the ice cream social, which really isn't optional. I had a small bowl. The ice cream, usually my favorite thing, didn't appeal much to me. It was just OK. The jelly beans, bowled me over they were so intense! Weird.

I also look seriously forward to something spicy.

Here is his comment:

Morex Says:
July 12th, 2013 at 10:51 am
Hi David.

In my experience, yes, food tastes different under SLD. The things you used to like will no longer be appealing and you will develop new tastes. For example, I now love jalapeŮos and peanuts. I crave for them and I didnít even think about them before SLD.

Also, I rarely use spices anymore. I donít need them. Simple food now is so intense that I may use a little pepper here and there. But thatís it.

So yeah, food tastes a little different. I think it has to be that you are breaking the addiction to always have very strong flavors on your mouth.

And yes, you get full REALLY fast after AS kicks in in all its force. Take a look at my journal and youíll see the portions I have nowadays.

My AS was good from the beginning. But it took a little more than a month for it to be this huge.

I am not an expert, of course, but I always advise to be VERY patient. In a world where we are used to instant gratification, waiting a few weeks might seem a daunting task.

Just have your oil or sugar in the amount appropriate to your body and be patient. I had to read the FAQ a few times and the book twice. And follow SLD like a bullet list. Donít stay too far away from the plan.

That was my only secret, really.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:34 PM   #284
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've read a few times now that Seth Roberts says he is getting his appetite suppression from butter mixed with roast beef, nose-clipped.

I just tried unsalted kerrygold butter again, nose-clipped, washed it down with water, but I find my teeth taste like butter. I would like to mix up the oil I'm taking. I like the idea of getting the CLA from the Kerrygold.

I guess I'll have to wash it down with a cup of hot water.

I also looked at a few other accounts of Shangri-La. It seems some are taking oil to skip meals, like no breakfast or lunch.

Last edited by Key Tones; 08-07-2013 at 10:35 PM..
Old 08-07-2013, 10:53 PM   #285
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dinner was a taste of some ox tail (never had it before-used it to make broth) and 1/2 a wild-caught king salmon collar from Whole Foods. I asked the butcher for it after seeing it at PCC Natural Markets. He cut one off a fish he happened to have on the butcher table right while I was talking to him. He asked me what I was going to use it for. I said I roll it in sushi, which is true, but didn't happen tonight because I got home late due to the traffic (Mariner's game). I asked what other people use them for. He said the guys at the butcher shop deep fry them to eat, but they usually cut them off with the salmon heads and throw them in the freezer! I asked what do people do with fish heads? He said soup stock or bait. Bait! UGH. For this reason, he charged me fifty cents for the whole collar.

I only know about this because I went to a restaurant that serves authentic Japanese food and they served us these things. Oh my gosh, they are so tender and fatty...really good.

Last edited by Key Tones; 08-07-2013 at 10:54 PM..
Old 08-07-2013, 11:07 PM   #286
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Also did the bike sprints Stephan Guyenet recommends. I live on a hill so these are not easy sprints!
Old 08-08-2013, 01:11 AM   #287
Blabbermouth!!!

KT- I use ghee that I make from Kerry Gold butter. You can do the same with butter. Just melt the butter in small pot and than add it to warm water in the glass and drink it.
What I do is I measure 1 tbls of ghee, put it in small glass to which I add little warmed up water (maybe 1/8 cup?). Mix it, the ghee will still float to top slightly. I drink it and follow by more water. I usually keep second glass of water handy in separate glass or drink it straight from the bottle. Rinse my mouth with warm water including lips. No leftover taste whatsoever. Use your swimmer clip.
I think in the winter I will first have to melt the ghee in a pot, as it solidifies at cold temperature.

I don't use micro, that's why I use the stovetop. If you use micro, you could melt the butter with little water in it.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:41 AM   #288
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
The tuna and lettuce did the trick and I am down to Saturday's weight now. One pound from last year's weight and then begin the losing of the extra weight. I will do the same as yesterday. Water packed tuna, lettuce, green tea and 2 tbl of coconut oil.

Can someone post a link to Morex's thread? I couldn't find it and would love to read it.

Have a great Thursday everyone!
Abigale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:07 AM   #289
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
The tuna and lettuce did the trick and I am down to Saturday's weight now. One pound from last year's weight and then begin the losing of the extra weight. I will do the same as yesterday. Water packed tuna, lettuce, green tea and 2 tbl of coconut oil.

Can someone post a link to Morex's thread? I couldn't find it and would love to read it.

Have a great Thursday everyone!

Not sure if it ok to post the link.
Google Seth Roberts forums
go to MY SLD PAGE
look for "Morex's adventures in SLD" thread
Old 08-08-2013, 02:34 AM   #290
Major LCF Poster!

thanks Marika! found it! I was thinking it was a LCF thread. Very interesting!
Abigale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:19 AM   #291
Blabbermouth!!!

I have been on SLD 1 week and much to my pleasant surprise I am down 6 lb

8/1 138.8 BF 24.3
8/2 137.4
8/3 135.0
8/4 133.8
8/5 133.6
8/6 134.4- water weight? (today had about 2000 cal -PMS)
8/7 133.8
8/8 132.4 BF 22.3
Old 08-08-2013, 06:46 AM   #292
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
KT--I use the oil to skip meals when I do JUDDD down days. This means that my calories are higher than the typical DD of 500, but I don't count the MCT oil towards my calorie totals. So 1 Tbs oil at 10, again at 2pm and then dinner is as usual. I find it makes my fasting days much easier.
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:10 AM   #293
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

M-Thank you for the kerrygold drinking tips. I will try that tonight! My phone won't let me spell out your name without auto correcting

M and Abigale-wow, great results! My morning weigh in is still the same. I'm hoping to see something by Sat.

Ouizoid - thanks for the tips, as always! It is so interesting
Old 08-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #294
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Finally! Today was my first day with noticably reduced appetite. I upped my quantity. Took 2T and may take another before bed. MCT has no taste at all to me, so no clipping. I slept nine crazy hours last night. Had good energy today but scattered focus. Also lots of bathroom visits. Hope the magic is kicking in.

Got the book today. So tiny!
cici52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #295
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cici - good news!!!

Everytime I think this might not be working, I take a few more bites and I can't eat anymore.

All I can say is I am so happy to be eating real food for dinner. I found more salmon collars tonight (I am addicted to these things - PCC Natural Markets charged $7.99 a pound for them - Whole Foods is a better deal!). I got two of them, so my daughter and I were able to each have one. Served with sweet potatoes!

I used flax oil per Seth Roberts notes about it. Um, yuck! I took it to work so I didn't nose pinch with people floating in and out of the kitchen. I tried to hold the palate closed (I can make that work with milk), but I didn't manage it well. I am not certain that stuff is fit for consumption. It might come home and become my next hair oil. Ugh.

My daughter was put off by the oil but since the weekend when I got her started by bringing it to her, she has been doing it on her own. Today she said she noticed appetite suppression. This is good news. She is really sick of the potatoes (she said initially she would rather do the potato hack than swallow disgusting oil). I was throwing out uneaten potatoes last week. She just can't face them anymore. She did lose 16 pounds, though. I am hoping she can get the rest of the weight off.

She put on 40 after Christmas when she went down hard in grief (first Christmas after dad/my husband died) and could not get out of bed. Then she went back to the dorm and got the flu that was so horrible everyone thought it was mono (she could barely manage to walk down the hall just to go to the bathroom) and she failed all her first exams. She recovered two classes to pull out with a C in each, and had to do a hardship withdrawal from the third. Then she melted down with allergies (turned out it was a sinus infection) and her RA discovered her room was full of mold. They cleaned and painted over it but that took half the quarter before they got around to it. The first doc said she did not have a sinus infection, so I took her to a top allergist in the area who actually looked with a scope and it was a bad one! Finally she got better with some broad spectrum antibiotics. Ugh. During that short period of time, she put on a heck of a lot of weight. I could see it from one week to the next it was incredible. She gained 40 pounds, something that should be impossible calorie-wise, but it happened. She had a horrible quarter right after Christmas, and poor thing, she is still paying for it.

I really think the grief at Christmas threw her into a horrible downward spiral on top of trying to stay up with the science classes with all the pre-med students and she just got sick and was (I think) trying to eat for what energy she could muster. It was horrible. She has never been so sick.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #296
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I forgot to say thank you ladies for recommending the MCT oil! It is the only oil she will take. She hates the light olive oil.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #297
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I forgot to add - I'm doing weird stuff like tasting things I know I shouldn't eat and spitting it out. I have never done weird stuff like that before. My focus is also off. I think this food reward deprivation is messing with my mind. Maybe I am going too far with it. I've been doing stuff like making potato soup watered down, and watering down my milk while not tasting it...I'm trying to get the density of the food I eat during the day way down and to make it super bland to counter a nice (albeit small) dinner. Anyway...

I think perhaps Matt Stone's observation that too much deprivation causes a drop in dopamine is accurate. He has a blog post titled "Dopamine and Weight Loss" August 9, 2010. I think he knows what he is talking about. He addresses Seth Robert's diet in it, although Matt recommends going bland with whole foods rather than Seth's route. Matt's unique theory is to rest and overfeed to become leptin sensitive. I haven't purposefully done this, but...

I do wonder sometimes if the secret to my success (in not regaining the weight) all these years has been my tendency to veer off on a hiatus once in a while, which results in a bit of gain before I wake up and go back to it. Also, when hard core dieting, I often eat out on the weekends for a much-needed break.

Anyway, be sure to get those good meals in. I don't know why Stephan recommends eating a couple of good meals per week. I think I see the logic in it.

I do get to eat tomorrow. I'm going to a fund raiser with what I hear is going to be some really great food catered by one of the top chefs in the area.

Last edited by Key Tones; 08-08-2013 at 10:04 PM..
Old 08-09-2013, 01:45 AM   #298
Major LCF Poster!

KT, it is heartbreaking to hear everything your poor daughter went through this year. So hope she is well on her way to getting healthy.

I think the two good meals a week are a smart idea and thinking about them gets my dopamine levels up. I just hate that I took me almost a week to get back to what my weight was before I had it. I am eating ground beef today and because it is fatty it may set me back some. Although back in 2008 I lost over 10 pounds eating nothing but unsalted ground beef when I was on a zero carb forum. Maybe I was doing the bland no spice diet back then and didn't know it. We shall see what the scale says tomorrow!

Have a great day all!
Old 08-09-2013, 04:08 AM   #299
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
KT, glad your DD is doing a bit better. Hope that also is true for you.

Admittedly, some of the experiments I read of remind me of my old ED days. I try now to stay away from anything that seems unnatural. Noseplugging while eating crosses that line for me so the oil will have to be enough.
cici52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:39 AM   #300
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey all! I have been overwhelmed with work stuff, but wanted to drop in and say I am up a bit .5 over my low. It seems that the days that I don't take the oil regularly and have an irregular schedule are not conducive to weight loss.
I have never truly had a straight bland food day except for plain veggies and taters. So, it seems to work for me with just the oil and nothing else. If I am understanding Morex's story correctly, that is how he lost all of his weight in 5 months.

KT, I am sending you much love and hugs for your daughter. I think the trick to MCT is the timing and to limit that you don't take too much. I take 1 tbsp 3x per day, when I remember. I have been very busy and forgetting this last few days. I am praying this is going to be her answer.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html