Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Paleolithic & Neanderthin (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/)
-   -   Coffee - Do you drink it? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/806394-coffee-do-you-drink.html)

sails92 06-18-2013 09:34 PM

Coffee - Do you drink it?

I'm a coffee drinker and was wondering what are some acceptables sweeteners and creamers?

Dottie 06-19-2013 01:59 PM

Try drinking it iced and black. I was amazed at how much easier it was to get rid of the sweeteners that way.
If not, then stevia and coconut milk (real coconut milk, not the "beverage")is usually acceptable :)

sails92 06-21-2013 03:13 AM

I can drink coffee again.....This morning I took the plunge and had a cup of coffee with JUST heavy whipping cream and ONE tablespoon of sugar-free Carmel syrup - WOW, DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the suggestions - Never thought that I would be drinking coffee without 5 spoons of sugar - LOL - YEAH!!!!!!!

QueenBacon 06-28-2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sails92 (Post 16480286)
I can drink coffee again.....This morning I took the plunge and had a cup of coffee with JUST heavy whipping cream and ONE tablespoon of sugar-free Carmel syrup - WOW, DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the suggestions - Never thought that I would be drinking coffee without 5 spoons of sugar - LOL - YEAH!!!!!!!

heavy whipping cream and carmel syrup are not paleo.

I also drink black coffee.. once in a while i'll drink it with` coconut milk. But usually justed iced in the summer black no sweetner, no milk/cream. a cinnamon stick is nice in there too..

mamasooze 06-30-2013 08:48 AM

One strong cup with coconut milk and stevia.

GME 06-30-2013 09:11 AM

I take a can of Whole Foods brand coconut milk (WF's brand doesn't separate) and I put it in a glass bottle. I add about a tbls of vanilla extract and some stevia. It makes a great creamer and the one can lasts me about a week.

I keep telling myself I will one day put a cinnamon stick in the bottle for a cinnamon creamer. Maybe this winter.

avid 07-06-2013 07:59 AM

It's unlikely that I will ever not drink coffee.
I brew starbucks at home with HWC and liquid splenda. Definetly NOT paleo LOL
but I have eliminated way too many things from my diet to feel guilty about anything
I eat at this stage. I loves me coffee.

DiamondDeb 07-06-2013 09:11 AM

I'm positive that, had it been available, our Paleo ancestors would have consumed coffee.
I'm off to get another cuppa. I take mine with just a bit of stevia. http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46...fee-smiley.gif

QueenBacon 07-06-2013 10:00 AM

avid Deff try stevia..
And also let me reccomend trying buttered coffee..
Try it with stevia and kerry gold unsalted butter.. ITS AMAZING!
This and some coconut oil (I would personally replace breakfast with it, but its up to you) and you got yourself some turbo jumping bullet proof coffee....

avid 07-06-2013 08:30 PM

Isn't butter dairy?

QueenBacon 07-07-2013 05:24 AM

it is.. it doesn't seem to cause me issues, so I allow myself some limited dairy

avid 07-07-2013 01:05 PM

HWC doesn't cause me issues, and I love it in my coffee.
Thanks for the tip and if the day comes that I need to switch, I'll give it a try,
but for now, it's hwc all the way.

Mazza 07-12-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GME (Post 16493807)
I take a can of Whole Foods brand coconut milk (WF's brand doesn't separate) and I put it in a glass bottle. I add about a tbls of vanilla extract and some stevia. It makes a great creamer and the one can lasts me about a week.

I keep telling myself I will one day put a cinnamon stick in the bottle for a cinnamon creamer. Maybe this winter.

Great idea! Thanks for sharing!

393743 08-30-2013 02:43 PM

I"m going to be trying out bulletproof coffee next week. It's ultra purified coffee with no side effects or come down and it's made a very specific way. In a blender with grassfed quality butter (2-6tbsp)and mct oil (made from coconut oil but 16x stronger). No sweetener needed when you make it this way and supposedly keeps you full all day, keeps you energized with no crash, and makes you loose a ton of weight.

10Poppies 09-26-2013 06:21 AM

Thanks for all the good coffee ideas! Weaning myself off both dairy and artificial sweeteners, and my creamy sweet coffee is such a strong habit, I didn't know what I was going to do. I didn't want to give up my morning caffeine!

After reading here, I got myself an iced black coffee with a straw, and it's going down pretty easy. I never thought I'd be able to drink it black.

One of these days' I'll try bulletproof too.

morwilwarin 01-26-2014 05:52 PM

I drink my coffee with maple syrup or honey. Both are Paleo acceptable (depending on who you talk to, I suppose). For creamer, I use coconut or almond milk, and sometimes actual cream.

CTIgrad 01-30-2014 10:59 PM

Two or three cups (18oz) a day are standard for me. It took me a few weeks to get used to black coffee. Now 8 weeks in, I'm actually learning to find different flavors in coffee that I never noticed before.

If you have a starbucks with a clover in the store, you gotta go try it. Yes you'll spend 4+ bucks on a cup of black coffee, but its worth it. Trust me.

vuittonobsessed 03-03-2014 10:03 AM

I can't start my day w/o my espresso. I use coconut milk w/ my quad espresso when I'm doing strict Paleo (whole30) and I use grassfed whole milk when I'm off whole30. I don't use an sugar. At first I couldn't handle it w/o sweetener so I just ate a banana with my espresso. Now I can drink straight up espresso shots if I had too. =)