Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
How did Paleo people get enough sodium?

I'm really wondering.

Today I bought olives, pickles (finally found some with no fake dyes! ) & bouillon.

My sodium intake is low unless I down a bottle of mustard or salt...and I have had horrible salt cravings. Not for salty junk food - just salt & straight mustard. Seriously.

I've compared several lab test results & my sodium levels have been dropping since eating this way. I'm still in the normal range but not by much.

I know most people get way too much sodium but that is because they pretty much live on processed foods. It really does make me wonder how people back in the olden days got enough eating only whole foods?
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
I found the following on Wiki. It sounds like they might have had a different electrolyte ratio. I am not getting that much potassium & I do add sea salt.

Quote:
Sodium-potassium ratio

It has been estimated that people in the Paleolithic era consumed 11,000 mg of potassium and 700 mg of sodium daily.[38] The modern Paleolithic diet includes neither processed foods (which often contains salt as a preservative) nor added salt as a condiment. The sodium intake of the diet (~726 mg) is lower than average U.S. values (3,271 mg) or recommended values (1,500 mg). Further, since potassium-rich fruits and vegetables compose ~30% of the daily energy, the potassium content (~9,062 mg) is nearly 3.5 times greater than average values (2,620 mg) in the U.S. diet.[3]

The dominance of sodium over potassium in the U.S. diet adversely affects cardiovascular function and contributes to hypertension and stroke:[128][175] the Paleolithic diet inverts this ratio.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: millerp
Stats: Sedentary/Moving a little/Fit
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: February 15, 2004
Salt

That's a great question! I'm a former Atkins follwer, but I am really liking the paleo way. I did have terrible leg cramps the other night, from what I assume would be lack of potassium. I recently starting taking my multivitamin plus a potassium pill daily. Trying to also ensure I drink enough water. My new favorite salty snack is roasted brussel sprouts! Wish me luck.
millerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: westside
Stats: Start 199/186/175
Start Date: 2/17/12
You're body has two hormones that work together to conserve and dump sodium. I once heard that if you want your body to conserve sodium, eat less of it in your diet. This came from someone who produces and sells electrolyte supplements oriented towards endurance athletes.

700mgs of sodium per day sounds reasonable but I'd like to know how they got 11,000mgs of potassium per day.
westside is offline   Reply With Quote