Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Hockeymom48183
Stats: 227/227/150
The Whole30?

Hi Everyone!

I'm going to give this WOE a try and tomorrow will be day 1 =D As I was reading through the rules, it didn't list whether it's ok to drink coffee. Is this allowed?
Hockeymom48183 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
From what I read, coffee is ok - but limited to 1 to 2 cups. Tongue in cheek; in the book it says a pot of coffee is not 1 cup! haha

I drink mine now (thanks to Julie) with coconut milk and coconut oil.

I am on day 3.

Welcome to LCF
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
Yep~ coffee is allowed, but it can only be 1-2 regular-sized cups before noon because caffeine can interfere with sleep patterns. Welcome to the Whole30! How has it been for you, so far?
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Hi!

Thanks so much for the replies! I decided to start tomorrow (April 1st) because I wanted to be able to complete an entire month.

I absolutely LOVE my coffee but it's definitely going to be difficult NOT using Splenda. I went to the Whole9 website to do some reading since I don't have the book. Do you guys count calories? OR Carbs? I know it says not to count anything but I'm so used to counting since I'd been with Weight Watchers for 3 years.

I don't want to overeat and since I'm a binge eater, I feel like I need to count in order to stay on the safe side. I'd rather NOT though because I think it adds pressure to be perfect. Any advice is helpful! =D
Old 03-31-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
There is a fee for the whole 30 program? Okay, I see that you pay and then get an email daily. Do they mail you a food list?

Hockeymom- I have binging issues as well and am thinking maybe not counting or weighing might be good for us? I gave up splenda in my coffee a long time ago and don't miss it at all, it was a real easy adjustment. Cream would be especially hard for me.

Last edited by jeaniem; 03-31-2013 at 05:46 PM..
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:05 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Nope! No counting or weighing! They tell you HOW to eat. Each meal (there are 3) consists of 1-2 palm-sized servings of protein depending on hunger, size, or activity level. You don't have to overthink it...just imagine a handful of some sort of protein. How many eggs can you fit in your hand? 3? That's the amount you eat. Your plate should also have 2 types of veggies and some fat. You can eat up to an entire avocado per meal if you'd like. That's it! No dairy, sugar, grains, legumes, or alcohol. I was not hungry. Eat a snack of fat and protein if you need to, but you will soon find you can go longer and longer amounts of time without eating. Try to eat within an hour of waking up. No coffee after noon and no more than 2 cups total. I make coffee and put coconut milk and coconut oil in it for a 'bulletproof' coffee. I love it! You may have 1-3 pieces of fruit daily but only with a meal to slow the hit of sugar on your system. Fruit is NOT a necessity like veggies, but it's an option if you'd like something sweet to eat. I sometimes have frozen berries with coconut milk and a sprinkle of cinnamon. I also made sweet potato chips in the oven using coconut oil, salt, and pepper. They are delicious, and I would eat those with a meal or two. NO white potatoes, though. Hope this helps and best wishes!!!!!

**My goal has changed from mere weight loss to health, quality of life, and longevity. This is no longer a diet but a way of life.**

"NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP!"~Winston Churchill
Old 03-31-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Julie
When I google whole 30 all I can find is a email plan you pay for? Do I have to purchase the book?

N/M Found it Thanks!

Last edited by jeaniem; 03-31-2013 at 07:48 PM..
Old 04-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pibble mama
Stats: 289.6/283/175!!
WOE: NK newbie!
Start Date: January 2013
I started today also! I already eat like this for the most part, but giving up the weighing and the tracking and the artificial sweeteners is what will be my change! That and I want to start walking/running and back to yoga again! I am too out of shape for any kind of cross fit right now! I went out dancing friday night and now i can't move my quads! lol...that or at 44 i need to realize i am no longer 21! lol
pibble mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

I started today BUT messed up and had my coffee with 1Tbsp Coconut Oil along with 2 Stevia Packets, and 2 Tbsp Half & Half. I'm trying to ween myself off the sweetener and cream. Tomorrow I'll have my coffee black with Coconut Oil and nothing else. This is probably the most difficult part, I've ALWAYS had cream and Splenda in my coffee.

I honestly think not counting will take a lot of pressure off of me because I tend to try to be perfect. I had been with Weight Watchers for 3 years until about a month ago and the constant counting became tedious. I did lose 117lbs in 2 years BUT I've gained 40 back and I want to choose a WOE that gives me freedom. The good thing is I LOVE vegetables! So Paleo is definitely a plan I could see myself following for the rest of my life.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:51 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeymom48183 View Post
I started today BUT messed up and had my coffee with 1Tbsp Coconut Oil along with 2 Stevia Packets, and 2 Tbsp Half & Half. I'm trying to ween myself off the sweetener and cream. Tomorrow I'll have my coffee black with Coconut Oil and nothing else. This is probably the most difficult part, I've ALWAYS had cream and Splenda in my coffee.

I honestly think not counting will take a lot of pressure off of me because I tend to try to be perfect. I had been with Weight Watchers for 3 years until about a month ago and the constant counting became tedious. I did lose 117lbs in 2 years BUT I've gained 40 back and I want to choose a WOE that gives me freedom. The good thing is I LOVE vegetables! So Paleo is definitely a plan I could see myself following for the rest of my life.
Do you have a stick/emulsion blender? I use mine daily to make my coffee (have done this for a year or longer) I use 1 tbs of ghee/1tbs coconut cream (watch out for added ingredients...carageenen is BAD!) and whip up a small bit of coffee w the other ingredients and it froths up like a latte! I had mine w/o sugar subs today and it wasn't so bad! Different, but not bad!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Julie
When I google whole 30 all I can find is a email plan you pay for? Do I have to purchase the book?

N/M Found it Thanks!
I ordered my book from the library. I don't pay any site. I just printed a few free pages in their website and went shopping. It does require cooking and planning but what I like about it is eating as a family, and sharing the same food.

I don't weigh but my husband does...he is down now 7 pounds in a week but he has a bit more to lose and he is a guy.

I find the hardest part eating 3 meals. Sometimes my meals are smaller as the day goes on. The breakfast is the largest and most filling, no need to snack.

My coffee is like Julie's...coconut milk and oil.

Whole30 has a very active facebook page too.

Day 7 today for me.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Not weighing made a big difference to me. Took a lot of pressure off, for sure! Best wished to you all!
Old 04-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

I did great all day UNTIL a couple of hours ago. I caved and went on a binge =( Starting fresh tomorrow..
Old 04-02-2013, 06:01 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Good morning! I did ok...but had to make a cup of hot tea at night w a spoonful of coconut milk. I think that is ok though? I know this is all about healthy and all.....and yes i want that too....but i'll admit it! I just want the weight loss! lol I know that the healthy will fall into place longside the weightloss!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #15

Hi all...
day 8 today.

So this is the deal with me. I rcvd a letter from my doctor saying she is leaving the practice to create a concierge (s?) practice where one pays $2000.00 a year to get cart blonk(haha I cannot spell fancy words) service from her annually. Well as much as I like her, I am not able to pay that. So I managed to get a physical/pap before she leaves.

With that said, I am going to follow Whole30 loosely - as I cannot do coconut oil and then get my labs done. Last time my LDL (yes fat kind even) jumped I believe 30 points.

No sugar, soy,grains, alcohol, and dairy are still the mode - but what I am also not loving - in fact I feel intuitively strong about this - it is way too much food for me. My hunger signals are getting blunted.

I have been off dairy for a month or more - and will continue - but to honestly say I am on whole30 would be an untruth.

I am sugar free - I have 3 more weeks to keep at that! I highly doubt it will be a lifetime abstinence. I just know myself. Dairy and grains? Yes, not a challenge. But to say I will never eat some cad bury mini eggs ever again?! hahah

By the way - coffee with coconut milk is ok to have
Old 04-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

I am doing absolutely awful! I wish there was an easier way to cut out sugar, dairy, and grain =( During the day I find I'm stronger THEN the evening arrives and the binge monster is in full swing ready to do damage.

I was 110% ready to start Whole30 yesterday and now I'm so unsure. My binge eating disorder is horrible!
Old 04-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I am doing absolutely awful! I wish there was an easier way to cut out sugar, dairy, and grain =( During the day I find I'm stronger THEN the evening arrives and the binge monster is in full swing ready to do damage.

I was 110% ready to start Whole30 yesterday and now I'm so unsure. My binge eating disorder is horrible!
Have you looked at the 21 Day Sugar Detox thread? I blush to tell you how badly I can binge, I decided the whole30 would not work for me if I had to give the cream in my coffee and smoothies which the 21 day plan allows. Sugar and splenda are still not allowed but there are more food choices. Just a thought.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Aw...it's ok, guys!! It isn't for everyone! Everyone has to find their own way. (((HUGS)))
Old 04-03-2013, 04:49 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

I CAN do this! I think the problem is lack of options in my refrigerator. Really need to go grocery shopping!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:50 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I CAN do this! I think the problem is lack of options in my refrigerator. Really need to go grocery shopping!
THAT will be a tremendous help!! GOOD LUCK!!
Old 04-03-2013, 08:00 AM   #21

I actually gave up wheat first ( 12 years ago) and then I cut wayback on sugar as a whole (years and years ago). Dairy/soy are new - a month or so.

Doing it all at once is no easy task -and yes having food ready helps.
I am enjoying the paleo book right now "Well Fed" and defrosting some chicken thighs for the grill. Such yummy food is available but yep, stock up
Old 04-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Rocking out today! For breakfast this morning I had stirfry - Chicken, mixed veggies, fresh pineapple, coconut oil and shredded unsweetened coconut. Really awesome!
Old 04-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Are any of ya'll giving up eggs? I've always wondered about them...heard different reports about them being reactive w/ ppl. But how would one know??
Old 04-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Hockeymom48183: Way to keep trying! That meal sounds perfect!! Stocking up on food helps a ton. It's so hard to plan what you are going to eat when there isn't much to choose from. Always makes me cranky.

pibble mama: I don't eat eggs at all because they cause me nausea. I used to eat them a lot, though. Same thing happened for me with mushrooms, almonds, peppers, and tomatoes.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:35 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: OaklandRaiders15
Stats: Too Much/-22/Just Right (5'3)
WOE: Allergy-Free/Clean Eating
Start Date: 4/30/13
I'm a newbie: What's the difference between Whole30 and the 21-day Sugar Detox?
Thanks!
OaklandRaiders15 is offline   Reply With Quote