Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 03:43 AM   #241
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Yennie, I have noticed that when fat-burning kicks in, 'going' kicks in with it.

Strange to think back on the olden days when ketosis was a four-letter word and preferential fat metabolism was only invoked by LC. These days we invoke it with low calorie/IF, we invoke it with potatoes, who knows what is next?!?!

I am increasingly convinced preferential fat burning really, truly is part of our genetic heritage...something many/most of our bodies were designed to do.

PS, I adore the 'N=1" thing. So concise. So very, very true.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2013, 04:28 AM   #242
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Hey y'all. Don't forget that part of how the hack works is to eliminate both fat AND protein during your potato meals.
I've been eating my potatoes with mustard (very low-fat) or vinegar from pickle jars and soft herbs such as dill.

My rice is mostly dressed with chicken stock powder (low fat) or vinegar.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #243
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
My rice is mostly dressed with chicken stock powder (low fat) or vinegar.
Aren't you doing something else - something rice based - as well as the potatoes? I thought you called it something on the JUDDD boards and of course now I can't remember which thread to go look for it.

Would you mind sharing the recipe? In case I need a bit of variety in my life! Although I could easily do a meal of steamed rice with soy sauce. YUM!

FWIW, I'm down 2.0 pounds this morning. I'm not sure I 100% believe it, some of that may be water but according to the scale, that's what it is. I also had to change the batteries in the Wii so I wonder about that. The reason I say I'm not sure about it is that I was feeling a little bloated this morning. But we'll keep on keeping on until Easter dinner on Sunday. Then I'll decide what to do from there - back to JUDDD or more potatoes.

I had a bit of a headache last night, and I don't get headaches. Felt a little like the LC "Induction flu" - hmmm....

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #244
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otzi View Post

-I could eat these hashbrowns every day! I use salt, pepper, and vinegar.

- I have tried mixing other foods, but it doesn't work for me. Same as using butter or oil to cook in, the satiety effect is gone.

- I have found that in adding potatoes to my menu most every day when not doing a potato diet, my weight is much more stable and my energy level is very high. On LC I was subject to pretty wild weight swings if I ate off-plan, nowdays my weight is very stable day to day.

If you have any questions, let me know!
Otzi from ***
Otzi! I love reading all of your results over at the ***. I have started following Perfect Health and fasting daily 16 hours. I find that I can eat potatoes every day and still lose, where before, I was LC and fasting intermittently *JUDDD* and had very long stalls. What could be the difference? I walk/run about 4 days per week, Kettlebells regularly, and rebound. I am 54. I feel better on the PHD plan than I have ever felt.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #245
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Otzi, how great to have you visit and share your input!! It was your stuff I read,on ***,and followed when I recently did my ten day hack. I did it like you described and lasted ten days very easily. I tried the hack before adding some broth and other things and I couldn't last more than two days because I was hungry. This time, doing just potatoes kept me satisfied and I lasted ten days. The satiety effect is what makes this so effective in my book. I love how you are able to manage your weight this way. Thanks so much for your input on this!!
Old 03-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #246
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

- I have tried mixing other foods, but it doesn't work for me. Same as using butter or oil to cook in, the satiety effect is gone.

- When coming off a potato diet, I expect to regain about 2 pounds over the next week or so, but most of the weightloss is fat it seems. I always experience a loss of waist inches and never a loss of energy or muscle as noted in the gym.

- When doing a potato diet, I lay off of working out that week and just walk for exercise. No running or lifting etc...

If you have any questions, let me know!
Otzi from ***

This is awesome, thanks Otzi! Heard lots of good things about you guys over at *** - one of these days I'll maybe check it out. Too many message boards at the moment.

I'm finding I'm ok adding a little (LITTLE) bit of something to the potatoes. I can only do 1 meal per day with just broth and salt. As we discussed earlier, I'm ok with a bit slower daily losses to be able to sustain long term.

I've been doing my runs (short; 2-3 miles max) on my potato hacks and I'm not finding a difference in my energy level. However, I'm guessing you're likely in way better shape than I am and therefore working out a higher metabolic requirement. I still have plenty of...ahem...padding for my body to draw from.

I also appreciate your sharing your experiences with what happens when you come off the hack. It would be a major bummer to lose those 5-7 pounds then have them all come back when you end the hack, a la what happens to some of our LC friends when they start adding back carbs.

Thank you!!! Much appreciate your input!
Old 03-26-2013, 05:35 PM   #247
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yennie, I found by adding a small amount of potatoes daily before fasting and after, that I never have the rebound effect unless I were to eat junk carbs in the following days. Otherwise, I am good to go. I have seen a few of the fasters say the same. I believe you can keep it off.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #248
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Yennie, I found by adding a small amount of potatoes daily before fasting and after, that I never have the rebound effect unless I were to eat junk carbs in the following days. Otherwise, I am good to go. I have seen a few of the fasters say the same. I believe you can keep it off.
Thank you! Like Otzi, I usually manage to incorporate potatoes into both UDs and DDs on JUDDD and have been happy with the results. But this is my first time "hacking". I'm finding them very satiating even with my bits of broth & cheese (although let me tell you - the garlic & herb LC wedge - not a good choice, flavor wise. So far the french onion is the best).

I'm hoping to make some chips tonight, I'm working my way through the baked yukon golds I've been nursing since about 3pm. I'd like to try making chips when I'm not famished since I can never let them cook & cool correctly. Goal for tonight, I guess. That and to not eat the Little Caesars Pizza by husband brought home...
Old 03-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #249
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am very anxious to get started myself. I have almost decided to move my 10 day beginning on the 31.
I actually like the hashbrowns that Otzi speaks about. I make my own and they crisp up. But my fall back for every day is mashed taters w/ bb. I wish I wasn't so in love.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #250
Major LCF Poster!

Hack - Day 3

I took "potato" out of the title...you'll see why.

Down 2# this morning. I'll take it!

B: around 3 cups coffee, some SF vanilla and 1 TBS HWC
57 calories, 6 grams fat (finished by 10am)

L: The rest of my russet and SCQ from last night
261 calories, 1 gram fat (ate around 2:30pm, 4.5 hour gap)

S: (above wasn't enough so I made...) 2 yukons, beef broth & a LC garlic & herb wedge. Not sure if it was the cheese, or the beef or the combo but YACK! I could not finish it. But ate enough to add:
101 calories, 1 gram fat

D: My system was upset enough from the above potato fail that I made some white rice, added a bit of soy sauce & salt. Its my understanding that rice will work also, just not healthy to do long term so I hope I didn't blow it. Especially since DH brought home pizza and there were leftovers...and I did not eat any...
247 calories, 0 grams fat

Totals for the day:
667 calories, 8 grams fat

We'll see what the scale says tomorrow. I did exercise today - rode both horses and yes, that is exercise
Old 03-27-2013, 07:30 AM   #251
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Great details Yenni and fantastic losses!!! Thank you for letting us know all of the small details, because it is encouraging to hear from anyone who is doing the plan.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:53 AM   #252
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Otzi
I've watched dozens of people doing versions of the potato diet, many are happy with doing an intermittent potato diet, eating like one potato meal and one regular meal a day, and reporting good losses. This would be a good tactic if you had lots to lose and were stalled out.

For maintenance, though, I like just toughing it out for 5 days. It works for me, as I work 7-5 and just plan on potatoes for lunch and dinner--I understand that it's not that easy for most people with family/job/school commitments throughout the week. I'm always impressed when I see somebody put their own twist on the potato diet and make it work for them.

I lost 70 pounds the hard way--LC/Cal Counting/IF/cold baths--and wish I'd have known about the potato diet back then! The first 30 pounds just melted away in about 3 months, the second 30 pounds took a year, and then I spent another year working on 10 pounds. Now, with potatoes, I can lose 10 pounds in two weeks any time I want.

Knowing how well it works, I have become much more adventurous in eating. I'm willing to try things that may increase my weight for a bit, like eating more to gain some muscle, or adding lots of starch to my daily eating. Prior to this, anytime there was an increase, it caused panic and stress which resulted in weeks of unhealthy eating to reverse the trend. I enjoy now seeing what I can get away with (not much) in terms of eating different things, and seeing what increased carbs do (very pleased) to my weight and energy.

If I had to do it all over again, I would probably adopt a JUDDD style eating with potato days thrown in, or just do 1 week on, 2 weeks off of a strict potato-only diet until I reached my goal.
Otzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #253
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
If I had to do it all over again, I would probably adopt a JUDDD style eating with potato days thrown in, or just do 1 week on, 2 weeks off of a strict potato-only diet until I reached my goal.
This is what I do, except lately when I'm hacking. I do potato down days, will occasionally incorporate a proper potato meal into a particularly otherwise heinous UD. I'm very pleased.

I do wonder though if you can offer some insight on your hashbrowns. I tried them this morning and I struggled to get them crisp. I dry fried them in a non-stick pan. Maybe I had too many in a pan?

I peeled and grated (think old school box style cheese grater) 1/2 a Costco sized russet (ie - gigantic). Added to the pre-heated pan. I think I put too many in there so it was kinda crispy on the outside but still gooey in the middle. Not raw but not the most appealing texture. Ate it but...

Last night was brutal, really struggled not to bail and eat pizza. Glad I didn't though as I was down another 0.9 on the scale this morning and I'm officially in the 170's!!!!! It was 179.9, and there may be a bounce coming but I saw it so I'm owning it!!!

With this morning's achievement, I've now hit my March goal 4 days early. However I am going (to try) to continue as planned through Easter dinner on Sunday as I'd like to get enough of a buffer that my Easter dinner doesn't cause a gigantic bounce back up. I'll see if I want to try to continue after Easter or go back to JUDDD rotations with PDDs.

Also, thanks, Sunday, for the feedback. I had a thought last night that perhaps this daily blogging type deal is annoying and wondered if there was a more appropriate place for it. But I sure appreciate you guys "listening" because I honestly need this to keep myself honest and on track. you all! And, right now, ing potatoes too!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #254
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
I do wonder though if you can offer some insight on your hashbrowns. I tried them this morning and I struggled to get them crisp. I dry fried them in a non-stick pan. Maybe I had too many in a pan?

I peeled and grated (think old school box style cheese grater) 1/2 a Costco sized russet (ie - gigantic). Added to the pre-heated pan. I think I put too many in there so it was kinda crispy on the outside but still gooey in the middle. Not raw but not the most appealing texture. Ate it but...
Good job on working the Potato Diet! Hang in there, subsequent rounds get easier because you know what to expect.

I make my hashbrowns exactly like you describe. If you want them a bit less gooey, put the shreds in a strainer and wash with really hot tap water for a bit to wash a lot of the starchy juice out. I usually don't do that, but just make the layer a bit thinner and let them cook until the down side is completely cooked and you can flip the whole pan full at once (if that makes sense). For the other side, turn the heat down a bit and let cook another 4-5 minutes until that side is done. They do tend to be gooey-er the thicker they are.

Here's another trick I don't know if you guys caught wind of--make hashbrowns in your waffle maker (you know you have one!). Put a handful of shreds in it, clamp it shut and let cook until done. It takes some experimenting on the time, but when the steam stops and it falls right out, you know you got it right. Too soon, and you are digging it out with a fork thinking 'whose bright idea was THIS'.

I eat hashbrowns heavily salted and sprinkled lightly with vinegar--making hungry just typing this!

Good luck!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #255
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Congrats Yennie! Hitting goal early is awesome!!

Quote:
Good job on working the Potato Diet! Hang in there, subsequent rounds get easier because you know what to expect.

I make my hashbrowns exactly like you describe. If you want them a bit less gooey, put the shreds in a strainer and wash with really hot tap water for a bit to wash a lot of the starchy juice out. I usually don't do that, but just make the layer a bit thinner and let them cook until the down side is completely cooked and you can flip the whole pan full at once (if that makes sense). For the other side, turn the heat down a bit and let cook another 4-5 minutes until that side is done. They do tend to be gooey-er the thicker they are.

Here's another trick I don't know if you guys caught wind of--make hashbrowns in your waffle maker (you know you have one!). Put a handful of shreds in it, clamp it shut and let cook until done. It takes some experimenting on the time, but when the steam stops and it falls right out, you know you got it right. Too soon, and you are digging it out with a fork thinking 'whose bright idea was THIS'.

I eat hashbrowns heavily salted and sprinkled lightly with vinegar--making hungry just typing this!

Good luck!
Hmmm... maybe that is the secret. I did try the waffle iron trick as I read about it from you from the other place, and I did have to dig them out with a fork. I will try again with your tips and also rinse them off. I also tried dry frying them in a skillet and they did not get crispy at all. I must have had them too thick. Thanks for the tips!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #256
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/238/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Otzi-thank you for signing in to give us your insights!

I too wish I had discovered this sooner. I am also 48 and lost most of my weight with low carb. I almost did discover it when I was 19. I saw someone on Oprah Winfrey in the 80s talking about how complete the nutrition in a potato actually is. From this I made up my own potato diet which was to eat 5 potatoes a day with a half cup of skim milk with each (out of fear for calcium and I did not believe there was enough protein). I starved off 30 pounds in 30 days. I had no idea I would have been comfortable without the addition of the milk. So close! It was so horrible I never did it again.

I am happily going at it and reading dr mcdougall's book. I don't think it is healthy to go without meat. Most days I am fine with adding raw carrots with low fat hummus I make myself, poking pieces of broccoli and some frozen corn in mashed potatoes then baking until lightly brown, and making spinach smoothies with blueberries. I eat whatever I wish socially on weekends or whatever and then go right back to this. I eat meat and eggs on weekends and maybe one other day during the week. I still drop weight although it has slowed. It is now at 20 pounds in two months (total 119 pounds). I am content.

Ugly Christmas sweater competition - this is how I felt in the elevator...

Last edited by Key Tones; 03-27-2013 at 10:58 AM..
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #257
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Aren't you doing something else - something rice based - as well as the potatoes? I thought you called it something on the JUDDD boards and of course now I can't remember which thread to go look for it.

Would you mind sharing the recipe? In case I need a bit of variety...
I eat congee and idli but you need a stone grinder for the latter or access to an Asian market where you might purchase the batter mix.

Congee is rice soup/gruel and is my standard snack. The plain version is the most useful for the potato hack and you adapt it to suit your preference for the thickness of the soup and how burst you like your rice grains.

Metric version with Thai fragrant or jasmine rice

150g Thai fragrant or jasmine rice
1/2tsp salt
2.4 litres water

Rinse and drain the rice.

Bring the 2.4litres of water to the boil in a heavy-bottom pan over a high heat. Add the salt and the drained rice and return to the boil.

Keep the pan partly covered and simmer over a gentle heat for 90-120 mins , depending on your preferences - you should stir from time to time to make sure that grains don't catch on the bottom. The rice grains should burst open to form a soft gruel or quite thick soup.

You can thin and flavour the soup to match your needs. I add a tsp of Knorr's reduced salt chicken stock powder and/or some chili flakes.

brown rice (volume version)

1 cup brown rice
6 cups water

Wash and drain the brown rice. Add it to the water, bring to the boil in a heavy-bottomed pan and follow the above directions, except, depending on the age of your rice, and your preferences, this can take from 3-6hrs. Season and flavour to preference after it's cooked.

There are much fancier congees where the rice is cooked in stock or some ribs and chicken along with slices of vegetables are cooked together.

Plain congee can provide a good mug of (to me) satisfying soup for fewer than 40kcals and it's remarkably soothing. It can be flavoured with tiny amounts of spices or even a couple of slices of sushi ginger.

Last edited by SlowSure; 03-27-2013 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: Typo, not used to onscreen keyboard
Old 03-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #258
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I've watched dozens of people doing versions of the potato diet, many are happy with doing an intermittent potato diet, eating like one potato meal and one regular meal a day, and reporting good losses. This would be a good tactic if you had lots to lose and were stalled out.

For maintenance, though, I like just toughing it out for 5 days. It works for me, as I work 7-5 and just plan on potatoes for lunch and dinner--I understand that it's not that easy for most people with family/job/school commitments...
I've been on a potato, then potato and rice hack, since March 3. Potato without fat or sugar seems to obliterate my appetite (which surprises me). However, I added in the rice after my digestive issues were bad enough to make me quite ill.

I have seen what are decent losses for me (although unimpressive by other peoples's experience) and I broke a 5 week stall at 150lbs. I don't know if I might have been able to shed more if I'd been able to stay on a mono diet of potatoes but I doubt that I would have been able to continue beyond the first 5 days if I hadn't included the rice.

I'm planning to continue the hack until Sunday, and then from Sunday I'll switch to a protein breakfast with potato meals (at a 6hr gap) on UDs and potato/rice DDs and see if that works to consolidate or continue my weight loss so that I go through my bogeyman figure of 140lbs (currently I'm 141.6lbs).
Old 03-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #259
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Otzi--I'm so psyched you're posting here!!!
A while back you posted on *** that you were considering adding unmodified potato starch to your diet; did you ever do that?

Part of my challenge with the hack is that I just don't find potatoes satiating.
I get hungry an hour or two after eating.
Adding raw cornstarch has helped a little with that--I can make it maybe 2-1/2 hours. But I don't want to be thinking about food and watching the clock all the time.

This morning there was some mixed rice & beans leftover from last night.
So for breakfast I made 2 potatoes, had a little rice & beans (approx 3/4c), followed by 2tbsp cornstarch in cold water, and I wasn't hungry at all for 3-1/2 hours!

I haven't tried to hack the last few days because I've been sick with a sore throat and sinus pain. But TOM just left, and I am still down those 2-1/2 lbs from last week.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #260
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Last night was brutal, really struggled not to bail and eat pizza. Glad I didn't though as I was down another 0.9 on the scale this morning and I'm officially in the 170's!!!!! It was 179.9, and there may be a bounce coming but I saw it so I'm owning it!!!
Congratulations on the self-restraint and the journey into the 170s

It's odd how the unadorned potato affects the appetite. I always thought that I could eat mounds of them (and rice) but (for now) it seems that I only do that in the presence of fat or sugar.

We're experiencing our usual travel chaos in the UK because it actually snowed in Winter One of the downsides is that supermarkets have difficulty with supplies of fresh produce and I may yet have to make do with rice and frozen cauliflower. I can't imagine that I can eat much cauliflower in the absence of cheese sauce or other fat but I may well find out to the contrary quite soon.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #261
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Otzi--I'm so psyched you're posting here!!!
A while back you posted on *** that you were considering adding unmodified potato starch to your diet; did you ever do that?
I never got around to the potato starch, but I have found an awesome source of resistant starch.

I take really green plantains, cut them in thin slices, salt and dry them. A whole plantain contains about 100g of RS, so only a quarter or so of one is needed per day to get more RS than you could ever hope for eating potatoes.

An easy way to handle green plantains (they are almost impossible to peel) is to cut them in half cross-wise and length wise, then kind of roll the meat out of each quarter-section. Take these sections and cut in half again so you end up with 8 pieces shaped like a tongue, about 1/4" thick.

Lay these pieces on a cookie sheet and sprinkle with salt or whatever spice you like (cinnamon, chili, etc...) and either air dry for a couple days or put in a heated oven--but not over 140 degrees! It will ruin the RS presumably if heated too much, they have to air-dry as much as possible.

Anyway, I munch on a few of these with dinner or as a snack. They are just like saltine crackers texture-wise and are good to spread things on, like pate or almond butter.

Alternatively, you can cut the whole thing into rounds and eat them like chips. Just be sure you let them get really, really dry. They taste nasty (bitter) when still moist--you'll see if you try! Without salt they are like a salt-free cracker, very bland, but edible. You have to salt them when you first cut them otherwise it won't stick when they are dried.

Cheap, easy, fun, tasty, and a super resistant starch source.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #262
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
so interesting Otzi! I have a dehydrator. must try plantains!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #263
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
so interesting Otzi! I have a dehydrator. must try plantains!
Me too! To both!
My grandma grew up in the west indies and we'd have fried plantains as a treat/snack/side dish all the time. Clearly not appropriate now (the frying part) but I'm pretty excited to try it.
Finished off yesterday's rice and making another batch. Used 1/2 beef broth and 1/2 water to add a bit of flavor. Will try the rest of the russet in the waffle iron tonight to see if I get better results for the hash browns. I'm gonna grate it now and rinse, dry per above instructions to see if I can get them less mushy.
Again, thanks to all for indulging me in my rambles. So much easier when I have a place to be "accountable".
-Jen
Old 03-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #264
Junior LCF Member

Here's how I eat plantains that aren't dried:

Peel, slice and cube into 1/4" cubes or smaller, pan fry in a bit of butter or coconut oil until golden brown, put in a big bowl and pour chili over them.

I usually make a beanless chili with lots of ground beef with very healthy, all-natural ingredients. Just tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, chili powder, onions, and ground beef.

The plantain chunks really make it a substantial meal.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #265
Major LCF Poster!

Day 4 - Hack

Morning weigh in - 179.9, down 0.9#. Who's happy??? This girl! (I know I said I'd be happy to be in the 170's, even 179.99999 but now I'm greedy and I want that 0.9 gone so I can officially say I've lost 20# since 1-Jan.)

B: 2 cups coffee with only SF vanilla syrup & 1/2 russet potato grated & dry fried. Already discussed my cooking method above, won't bore you with repeats.
Calories: 165, Fat: 0

L: This was really a throughout the day snacking, not a single meal. Made 1 pot of rice with 1/2 beef broth and 1/2 water. Eventually ate the whole batch, doing small servings every 1.5-2 hrs with a bit of salt & soy sauce. I was home with the monkey all day so I actually planned this deliberately as I tend to want to snack when I get bored. This way I "snacked" on my rice pot.
Calories: 400, Fat: 0

D: Other 1/2 of russet. This one I shredded, rinsed in hot water, squeezed dry in paper towels and then spread on a fresh paper towel and left sit out for a few hours. This got them much drier. Fried it up on the plain waffle iron. YUMTASTIC!!!!! Added a bit of salt and A-1, would have loved to add some SF ketchup but, alas, I have none. Satisfying crunch.
Calories: 180, Fat: 0

Total for the day:745 calories, 0 fat

I can feel that I haven't been drinking enough water today, I've spent the whole day chasing my thirst. So I'm brewing yummy teas for tonight and will hopefully try to catch up my hydration to balance the salt. I'm hoping my attempts to rehydrate won't keep me up all night long...

Overall today was much easier to handle. Maybe its mixing in the rice, maybe its the thrill of being down a "decade" but baby, today I rocked it! Felt great!!! Definitely getting easier the more days into it.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #266
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yennie, you describe the rice dish so nicely that I may have to add it in once in a while.

KeyTones, I tried to read the McDougall plan but when I realized how they feel about protein, it made me realize, I can't do it! I am a plant eater, but need a small amount of protein except when fasting. It may be all in my head, but I don't know if at my age, I can change.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #267
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Morning weigh in - 179.9, down 0.9#. Who's happy??? This girl! (I know I said I'd be happy to be in the 170's, even 179.99999 but now I'm greedy and I want that 0.9 gone so I can officially say I've lost 20# since 1-Jan.)

B: 2 cups coffee with only SF vanilla syrup & 1/2 russet potato grated & dry fried. Already discussed my cooking method above, won't bore you with repeats.
Calories: 165, Fat: 0

L: This was really a throughout the day snacking, not a single meal. Made 1 pot of rice with 1/2 beef broth and 1/2 water. Eventually ate the whole batch, doing small servings every 1.5-2 hrs with a bit of salt & soy sauce. I was home with the monkey all day so I actually planned this deliberately as I tend to want to snack when I get bored. This way I "snacked" on my rice pot.
Calories: 400, Fat: 0

D: Other 1/2 of russet. This one I shredded, rinsed in hot water, squeezed dry in paper towels and then spread on a fresh paper towel and left sit out for a few hours. This got them much drier. Fried it up on the plain waffle iron. YUMTASTIC!!!!! Added a bit of salt and A-1, would have loved to add some SF ketchup but, alas, I have none. Satisfying crunch.
Calories: 180, Fat: 0

Total for the day:745 calories, 0 fat

I can feel that I haven't been drinking enough water today, I've spent the whole day chasing my thirst. So I'm brewing yummy teas for tonight and will hopefully try to catch up my hydration to balance the salt. I'm hoping my attempts to rehydrate won't keep me up all night long...

Overall today was much easier to handle. Maybe its mixing in the rice, maybe its the thrill of being down a "decade" but baby, today I rocked it! Felt great!!! Definitely getting easier the more days into it.

Good job on the 179! I know the feeling well.

Last night, I had potatoes and thought you all might like to hear how I cooked them.

I got the frying pan nice and hot while peeling potatoes. After they were peeled and washed, I used the peeler to slice the potatoes paper-thin directly into the frying pan, kind of layering them around as I went. After the first potato was all sliced and started to brown, I flipped the whole mess over, then sliced another potato on top of this.

By the time the second potato was sliced, I flipped the whole thing again and browned the top side. They were so thin, they were done cooking in about 6-8 minutes. Nice and crispy, no fat. I love Lawry's Season Salt, so I used that. Very tasty!

I love cooking potatoes with no oil, but sometimes use a little butter or olive oil when I'm not purposely avoiding fat.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #268
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
Mmmm otzi! Yummy!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #269
Major LCF Poster!

Day 5 (Holy cow, DAY 5!!!!!)

I love potatoes. I am part Irish, so I suppose its in the blood. But I think I'd be in love with them right now anyway, regardless of heritage.

This morning's weigh in: 179.0, down 0.9# from yesterday (and a total of 20# lost since 1-Jan and the beginning of this particular journey). This is 2 days in a row of 0.9# losses. First day was after about 8g of fat total, 2g associated with potatoes. Yesterday I had 0g fat, and still had a 0.9# loss. So, I'm concluding that negligible amounts of fat will not (at least for me) impact the process.

B: about 3 cups of coffee, SF vanilla syrup and 1 TBS HWC
Calories 57, fat 6g. Done around 10am

L: 2 yukon golds, a bit of chicken bullion, 1 wedge LC cheese (not garlic & herb, LOL) - ate at 1:30pm
Calories 291, fat 2g

S: Bowl of rice (1/2 brown, 1/2 white), soy sauce
Calories 150, fat 0g

D: 2 yukons, 2 TBS salsa con queso
Calories 295, fat 3 g

Daily totals: 793, fat 11g

Today's major accomplishment: I'm starting to prepare stuff for Easter and I did not snack, taste, sample any of the goodies - which included candied pecans which are like crack to me. I'm pretty proud of myself.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #270
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I love potatoes...
This morning's weigh in: 179.0, down 0.9# from yesterday (and a total of 20# lost since 1-Jan and the beginning of this particular journey). This is 2 days in a row of 0.9# losses.
...I'm pretty proud of myself.
Well done. Why ever this works so well for some people it's interesting that it does. I'm intrigued that adding in rice doesn't interfere with your losses and it's helping to settle my mind that I had to resort to rice in order to stay with the PH (now day 27).

May the potato hack continue to be a boon to you and bring only god fortune with your losses.