Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #121
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
I am starting day 4 today and doing well. I don't feel hunger and I don't have cravings!!

I am eating just potatoes for now and will decide if I am going to change it up at all later on. I would love to go for two weeks on this, but if I can't, I hope for at least a week. I love the idea of a reset.

As many have said, there is something very unique about the potato. I tried to start this before using rice and it was an immediate "no go". Cravings like crazy.

I have energy enough to ride my exercise bike and I am sleeping very soundly. Also, elmination has dramatically changed in just a couple of days.

So far, so good.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #122
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/231/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Beverly - good news! I agree - the potato is uniquely satiating and there seems to be nothing like it.

I've been taking weekends off (2.5 days) and it has bene going well. I use the weekends to tank up on minerals and definitely eat meat then.

I have not been able to cycle well on it, however, even after eating up. I cycled 20 miles Saturday and crammed raisins down until I could finally go (about half-way into the ride). I might have to have raisins for breakfast for these long cycling runs (will cycle on off days only!).

I am still getting great appetite control and weight loss for the 4.5 days on, so, so far, I am still pleased.

I added more vegetables out of boredom last week. This can become uncomfortable because it fills the stomach too much to get the potatoes in and creates hunger because of it. I will see how it goes this week.

Good luck!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #123
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelbyla
Stats: 210/153/145
WOE: hhCG, rx hCG
Start Date: rx hCG R7 start 02/16/14
Hi all! Popping over from JUDDD/HCG-land and just starting my second hack this week. I "hacked" a while back and saw great results in bg readings, craving and weight stabilizing lower. For ME, the weight seemed to stabilize about 2 weeks later, after going back to a primarily low-carb way of eating. Here are the links to my summary posts in case anyone is interested...

A DD Hack
A DD Hack

Anyway, cravings have been sneaking back a bit and my weight is up a little so trying the hack again. I love this and like reading all the new stuff coming out. Thanks to Key Tones for posting all the great stuff from MDA!
hhCG round 3 - 01/03/12, 23 days, pellets, 3/3/3, 157->141
_hCG round 4 - 05/05/12, 24 days, rx hCG, 125iU, 148->136
_hCG round 5 - 08/11/12, 26 days, rx hCG, 125iU, 159->140
_hCG round 6 - 08/05/13, 26 days, rx hCG, 150-200iU, 160->146
_hCG round 7 - 02/16/14, 33 days, rx hCG, 150iU, ~175->???
shelbyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:51 PM   #124
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Shelbyla! Great threads! I will need to seriously focus on the hack this week as well.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:42 PM   #125
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<280/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
My vegetarian son has been saying he wants to lose weight...he's 18 and *has* put on a few pounds; track season is starting and I keep hoping that will take some weight off without severe dieting.

I was kind of at a loss about how to advise him, since I have been so unsuccessful at losing weight myself.

But today it struck me
--the potato hack is quite vegetarian!!!

I told him about it and he is very excited to start tomorrow....well, tomorrow night, because they're making pad thai at school for lunch!

A few weeks ago, we discovered MUCH TO OUR SURPRISE that we like raw kale salads! So if the potato hack works, I will try to steer him towards more veggies, avocados, nuts, & eggs after he slims down...and stop making pasta for him!
New lows, 2014:
6/29 282.8
7/07 280.2
7/14 276.8
piratejenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #126
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Jenny!

It is really hard to exercise on the potato hack. I have to eat raisins to get enough energy to do my long bike rides. I'm not sure he could run on this...I think it *is* a crash diet, especially for men. Be sure to keep an eye on him; men following McDougall's diet (starch-based) look gaunt...it is kind of scary. I would hate to hear he fainted or anything. I'm not comfortable looking like I am recommending this for his situation - I am not.

Also - please note I have read that the kidneys need to be healthy for this to work due to high potassium. It is meant to only be a short-term hack due to multiple dietary deficiencies!

Cool on the kale discovery!

Last edited by Key Tones; 03-12-2013 at 12:41 PM..
Old 03-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #127
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, thanks for the warning!!!

I was thinking about it before you posted, and was going to talk to him about maybe just doing it during the week, and eating normally on weekends.

Also thinking maybe he should "ease into it". Taking what you said into consideration, maybe he could try just doing it for dinner at first.

He tends to skip breakfast, eat who-knows-what at school (but not regular cafeteria food--he's in a culinary program and works in a little restaurant, and sometimes they make pretty good stuff. Other times, though, he's too busy to have lunch ) and eats a lot of different things once he gets home. Even when I make a good dinner for him, he'll "snack" on sandwiches, cereal, & leftovers, or make himself a 2nd dinner! But, if he didn't eat breakfast OR lunch, I know he's truly hungry and I don't want to nag him about how much he's eating.

So if I could get him to eliminate the evening grazing, and get back in the habit of taking a protein shake to school for breakfast & being sure he gets to eat lunch, maybe that will help him lose weight but be fueled up for practice.

Track meets aren't like running a marathon or anything...he might do discus or 400 meters...but practices go on for 2-3 hours. I think he ran about 2 miles yesterday + lifted weights.

Is there a thread or site you could recommend for condensed information? Some of the threads get so long that you have to read pages and pages to find any details. It seems to be mostly ladies/JUDDDers doing the hack around here, so just wondering about something he could read that maybe has more guys' feedback?

Thanks again!

Last edited by piratejenny; 03-12-2013 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: add/change sentence
Old 03-12-2013, 04:24 PM   #128
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

All the threads I've seen are huge; that is why I pasted what I found into this one.

Sorry, I am not so chatty today - I am shot/tired!
Old 03-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #129
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Hey Jen,
There are lots of men doing the tater hack on Paleo Hacks and MDA. On MDA go to "Super Secret Potato Project". Or do a search for Tatertot. I will attempt to get Tatertot's attention so he will come here and pay a visit. He is a potato farmer in Oregon and has loads of tater knowledge.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #130
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, my son was bored of potatoes after 2 hours...
He said, "I don't know if I can do just potatoes for 3 days."
So we're going with the protein shake/lunch at school/potato evening plan for now.

I did notice that even though he kept saying he was hungry (he ate 7 smallish-medium ones total--I made hash browns with 3 of them and he munched on 4 more), he hasn't eaten anything for a couple hours and is ready for bed. I'm not going to ask if he's hungry & just hope he can go to sleep without any problems.

In solidarity, I'm not going cook when he's doing his Potato Evenings--just eat cold food. Maybe even just boiled eggs...every now & then I like to simplify my diet and eat just one food for a while.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #131
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelbyla
Stats: 210/153/145
WOE: hhCG, rx hCG
Start Date: rx hCG R7 start 02/16/14
Ok, so I have a question for the collective brain trust here...maybe two related... I've searched the larger threads and can't seem to find this answer. Forgive me please if it's there and I missed it.

I've seen in a number of places that cold potatoes (or even raw potatoes) are better for this because, if I remember correctly, these increase resistant starch and lower the bg impact of the potatoes. My questions are these... Is a COLD potato better than a COOL potato? i.e. do the potatoes need to be refrigerated or can they be room temp and have the same effect? Similarly, if a potato is once cooled and then reheated, is it considered a COLD potato or a HOT potato? i.e. does the reheating destroy the benefit from cooling the potato in the first place?

If anyone knows or even has opinions about this, I'm super curious!
shelbyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #132
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lol--I *just* posted some info on this on another thread!

Quote:
Potatoes have the highest amount of resistant starch (RS) when they're raw.
(So if you don't hate raw potato, you could nibble on a little slice or two while you're peeling/chopping/prepping.)
(Although, I have known people who like to eat a raw potato like an apple!)

When you cook them, the resistant starch "disappears".

As they cool down, the RS forms again.
But--it's a smaller percentage than when it was raw.

If you re-heat the potato, the RS "disappears" again.
As far as a "cool" potato goes...I haven't been able to find any info about the exact temperature at which the resistant starch "unforms". But, I would guess it would have to survive our inner body temperature, right?!!! So, at 90-100ish degrees, it should still be intact?
Old 03-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #133
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You don't have to have the taters cold every time to do the fast. I have eaten both ways and lost. But, in order to get the RS which is the healthiest for us, then yes, you can't re-heat. I found that I like roasted yukon's and new potatoes cold.

Resistant Starches are supposed to fight heart disease, cancer, and diabetes. Plus they'll boost your immune system.

Unlike refined grains and sugars, resistant starches aren't broken down into sugar in the small intestine. They "resist" this digestion and pass on into the large intestine, where they act more like dietary fiber. Not only that, resistant starches are fermented in the large intestine, a process which in itself consumes energy.

Researchers at the LSU AgCenter explain how resistant starches work ~

Research With Resistant Starch Has Widespread Health Implications - LSU AgCenter
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
Old 03-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #134
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
Start Date: March 2012
This could be all in my head but I felt like I was less hungry eating reheated cold potatoes than freshly boiled ones. Maybe they just didn't taste as good so I ate less. Not sure. I never tried a cold potato. The hack worked well for me for weight loss even without the resistant starch, although I might not have gotten all of the health benefits from not having the cold potatoes.
My DH is still following a very modified hack. All reheated potatoes. it has been over 2 months now and he is down about 30 pounds. He takes weekends off and has been adding onions low calorie vegetables and lean meat to his evening potato meal. I am glad he is modifying it as he was looking a bit gaunt/pale when he was just eating potatoes after a few weeks. I do think it slowed his weight loss a bit but he could just be hitting a plateau, also his weekend eating off the hack is getting pretty excessive at times. Being a guy of course he can still lose weight with all the modifying.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #135
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Babs, I love your new avi!

Since he has been doing this so long, did he feel like the fast reset his metabolism? I keep reading that it is best to hang in there for 2 weeks. I just don't know if I can!

I can't remember the poster's name here who said they went 10 days and never had a problem? She hasn't been posting in a while.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #136
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tatertot said that green plantains have a good deal of RS and he makes chips out of them. I am wondering if you threw in a few dried green bananas before you eat your taters? I don't believe I have seen plantains here in our local stores? I wish!
Old 03-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #137
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Sunday! Can you clarify for me what you mean by "reset his metabolism"? I haven't read up on the hack much, just tried it and found it worked well. As far as my observations on his metabolism generally it seemed to be fairly stable for the first month or so. He had lots of energy while eating 600-800 cals a day which was surprising. He also has excellent control on the hack in restricting his calories. This last week he has started to have lower energy but no hunger and a bit slower weight loss.
My experience with my short week long hacks were appetite control that seemed to carry on beyond the hack (the second time I did the hack) and reduced carb cravings. The first time I did the hack I regained the weight back as I over ate all the foods I had been missing on the hack. The hack didn't seem to effect my metabolism in a noticeable way. I know with low calorie dieting I would have issues with a slowed metabolism after a week. Not sure that either of us had a metabolism reset.
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:40 AM   #138
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Interesting. Most hackers that spoke of a reset had been following strict paleo previously sans "safe starches". So, I wonder if the people who may have been eating a diet of higher carbs w/ safe starches may not necessarily have noticed this effect? I believe this is what brought some of the hardcore paleo over to the PHD plan, because they realized that tubers included many safe starches that were good for the gut and the colon. Tapioca, rice, plantains, taro, sago, sweet taters & potaters are all considered safe starches for PHD. As well as root vegetables & tubers such as carrots, beets, and bulbs. PHD is considered to be a Pacific Paleo plan.

So, could this be the re-set that they may be experiencing?

A faster from "Free the Animal" shares his experience...

Quote:
I’ve been experimenting for the last 13 months with potates, cassava, white rice, corn, and most other non gluten starches and have thrived and lost weight from 461 lbs to 375 lbs so far. I basically made up my own bastardised plan taking from PHD, Ray Peat, and Intuitive Eating plans. I eat a bit more protein and fat than Richard and I also eat fruit and dairy freely.
I did low to VL carb for over a decade and had many ups and downs because I could not stay on plan or ate too many calories and would maintain for months at the same weight. I find a starch based diet much easier to live with and enjoy.

Last edited by sunday; 03-13-2013 at 05:53 AM..
Old 03-13-2013, 06:14 AM   #139
Major LCF Poster!

Not sure if I understand the reset idea, but I do know that with all of the different diets that I have tried over the years JUDDD was the only program that seemed to fix my metabolism and gave me weight loss. Even when I go off that program for a while my body can burn the UD calories (without DD's for a few weeks) before my weight starts to creep up. Before JUDDD I could maintain my weight on a 1000 calorie a day diet, now I can maintain on more like 1800-2000 cals a day, with the occasional DD. Is the reset idea having your body burn more calories naturally in a day?
I like the potato hack for the quick weight loss and the PHD food diet for nutritional health but JUDDD iwas my metabolic answer.
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:15 AM   #140
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Basically, it is the only food in your digestive tract for a period, (no protein or fat) be it 10 days or 14? So, that would do a lot of work on your digestion and gut cleaning it up, while you are in essence at the same time fasting. I agree about IF being the key. It will be lifelong for me, right with PHD. I feel the difference and only wish that I had started IFing many years ago.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #141
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Tatertot said that green plantains have a good deal of RS...I am wondering if you threw in a few dried green bananas before you eat your taters?
Dried?
---------------------

A good way to cook plantains (when you can't fry them!) is to cut into thick slices and boil them in a good strong broth.

Hmmm...it suddenly occurs to me that you could probably make a really good Potato Hack soup with potatoes, sweet potatoes, green plantain, and bone broth!

PS--maybe a can of Ro-Tel tomatoes, garlic, onion, cumin; garnish with fresh cilantro.
As long as it's all fat-free, it's okay to get a little creative, right?

Last edited by piratejenny; 03-13-2013 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: punctuation, PS
Old 03-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #142
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Dried?

A good way to cook plantains (when you can't fry them!) is to cut into thick slices and boil them in a good strong broth.

Hmmm...it suddenly occurs to me that you could probably make a really good Potato Hack soup with potatoes, sweet potatoes, green plantain, and bone broth!
I agree! I have done my last two hacks with BB added to my mashed yukons and although I ate cold taters, I warm up the broth and pour it on. BRB, with the recipe for plantain chips.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #143
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jen, Do you have a good source for plantains?

From PHD blog. Tatertot doesn't cook the plaintains, but he slices green plaintains and dries them on a cookie sheet for six hours. He says that he eats them with each meal as a good source of RS.

Quote:
Reply tatertot March 6, 2013 at 7:16 pm

I hope you mean 100 deg F! 100 deg C is waaay too high and would destroy the RS. I really think it’s fine to just air dry them for 24-48 hours, there is very little moisture in them. Cut thin, put on a cookie tray and turn them every 6-8 hours. Taste them as they dry–you will know when they are ready! I have never had any get too hard to eat.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #144
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, cool! I've never heard of drying them, lol.

I'm really lucky and there's a produce market about 15 minutes from my house that has all kind of veggies--chayotes, plantains, coconuts, kabocha squash, Japanese sweet potatoes. Nothing too exotic, but I can go to Asian and Indian markets about an hour away for other stuff.

I think I've seen plantains in my dinky little rural grocery store, too, but I don't go to the banana section very often.

Last edited by piratejenny; 03-13-2013 at 09:28 AM..
Old 03-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #145
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

If you can't get plaintains, just use green bananas. They also have resistant starch and taste just as icky as plaintains!! The first time I took a slice of the green banana it was shocking to me. The sugars don't have time to develop yet! So instead of eating plaintains or bananas I bought banana flour to use as well as resistant hi-maize. I put the hi-maize in my morning smoothie.
Prevention Magazine did a diet centered around this, I think it was a few years ago. You can google Prevention and Nature's Fat-Burning Breakthrough if you want to read it.

I started using it a few years ago as it is suppose to stave off colon cancer and ease inflammatory bowel disease and other digestion problems. I am at risk for this. I was eating cold beans a few years back for the resistant starch, but that is considered a toxin on the Perfect Health Diet, so i don't use it anymore. Now I make myself a bread that uses the starch along with the potatoes and green bananas and the resistant starch flours.

According to one study, the resistant starch in green bananas increases the rate of fat burning by blocking the ability of the body to use carbohydrates as fuel. When the body can't burn carbohydrates as fuel, it's forced to use fat instead. Foods high in resistant starch also increase insulin sensitivity which can help people with type 2 diabetes better control their blood sugars.

I have purchased Grace Green Banana Chips, but you can easily make your own. My friend uses a butter cutter to make nice slices and dehydrates them, but can be done in the oven of course.

Last edited by sungoddess; 03-13-2013 at 10:09 AM..
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #146
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am definitely going to do a search at our WFS, I bet they have them. I looked at the local HFS and didn't see them. I was surprised to find out the health benefits of plantains. Caribbeans use plantains as a veggie in soups & stews or they make yummy deserts with them.

Quote:
Nutrition & Health Benefits of Eating Plantain

Plantain has gained an unparalleled status in the world of natural cure and is considered to be the numero uno cure for blood and limb poisoning. It reduces venom caused inflammation and effectively dries excess moisture.

Plantains contain tryptophan, a chemical found in certain foods that acts as a naturally-occurring mood enhancer. Health Guidance suggests that eating plantains and bananas can help people who suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). Due to their considerable amounts of vitamins C, B6, B12 and A1, eating bananas and plantains can also help smokers kick the habit. The magnesium and potassium contained in plantains can assist the body in healing from symptoms of withdrawal.

A well-acclaimed diuretic, plantain is found to be extremely effective against kidney and bladder problems. Plantain tea is known to soothe the bladder and is usually recommended against bed-wetting, dropsy and water retention.
As a styptic, plantain can be either chomped or grounded into a paste to stop bleeding. Known to have an extremely soothing effect, plantain tea can be consumed to soothe mucous membranes and ulcers. It is also effective against heavy menstrual cycles.
Plantain is also used as a vulnerary to treat cuts and wounds. Due to easy accessibility of this wonderful fruit, it can be easily bought and crushed and applied to cuts and wounds for quick relief. Also, since plantain has a high epidermal growth, it can be used to fix damaged tissues, treat bruises and broken bones.
Plantain is touted as a wonderful blood cleanser. It is also an effective cure against venomous snake bites and scorpion stings. Plantain is also an excellent cure for treating bug bites, eczema and other skin irritations. It also helps to reduce the pain of poison ivy.
Plantain, much like its yellow ripe counterpart, is extremely good for skin. Plantain juice can be effectively used to treat sunburn, ulcers, scalds and burns. It is treated as an effective substitute for aloe vera.
Plantain has been used for long to treat diseases like tuberculosis and syphilis, both internally and externally. It is very effective for treating liver sluggishness and inflammation of the digestive tract too. Plantain is also used for scrofula, mercurial poisoning and other specific or non-specific glandular diseases.
Chewing plantain root can offer immediate relief from toothache. Its decoction can be used on ringworm too. What is more, this miraculous herb is believed to help with loss of voice too.
Plantain is known to soothe cough reflex and is used to treat asthma, lung infections, and hay fever and any other respiratory disorder that involves mucous congestion. It is known to provide relief from hoarseness and bronchial infections too. It is also used for respiratory problems that involve mucous congestion
Plantain tea is known to be excellent cure for gastritis, diarrhea, dysentery, irritable bowel syndrome and other intestinal problems. It is also good for the eyes and is known to sooth eye irritation.

Last edited by sunday; 03-13-2013 at 10:10 AM..
Old 03-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #147
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Bev, Do you think adding 1/2 green banana to a green smoothie would be okay? Or do you think eating it by itself would be optimal? I am going to try it with the first meal of each day.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #148
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Hey Bev, Do you think adding 1/2 green banana to a green smoothie would be okay? Or do you think eating it by itself would be optimal? I am going to try it with the first meal of each day.
You can add it to your smoothie and reap the benefits. You don't have to eat it by itself. They kind of are like a potato to me. Not sweet, starchy and very firm. I used to add frozen pieces of banana to my smoothie, but they were ripe. I might try it with green bananas. I like adding frozen fruit to make the drink a bit thicker.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #149
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sunday, where did you get that list?
(I tried googling but couldn't find the exact article.)
There's an herb called plantain (plantago)
that is known as a remedy for a lot of ailments in that list;
maybe the "bananas" are too;
but I don't know what part (leaf? root?) you'd make a tea from.
(Googling "plantain tea" brings up the herb, not the fruit/tree.)
Old 03-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #150
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
My friend uses a butter cutter...
If you want to laugh your head off, go to Amazon and check out the reviews/customer photos for "Hutzler 571 Banana Slicer".
It's become a "thing", like the Three Wolf Moon shirt or Bic For Her pens, to write hilarious reviews for this item.