Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 09:30 AM   #91
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LOW_CARB_LOLA
Stats: 5'7" 304/154.4/120?
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: January 2012
Day 2 results

So..... I stepped on the scale today and I lost 1.2 lbs
Still not down the complete weight I put on from day 1, and I am still 5 lbs over my lowest, but its a loss!

Onward and downward!
LOW_CARB_LOLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #92
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/231/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
From Jerome on PaleoHacks 12-6-12:

I started hearing about the mysterious 'potato diet' a few months ago and gave it a try. Atkins, Paleo, Primal, PHD, etc... all have a problem: The dreaded plateau.

I had given up hope for losing my last 10, so I did the 'potato diet'.

Here's what I did: I ate potatoes for 14 days. The first 7 were all plain potatoes, the last 7 days I added about 2 strips of fatty bacon per day. I lost 12 pounds in those two weeks, and I've kept it off for 30 days now.

Prior to starting, I was in 'nutritional ketosis' like Jimmy for almost 3 months and not losing. I went to a pure starch diet, cut way down on calories--but was less hungry than when eating high fat. It got my hunger, snacking, and carb fears under control. I now include some potatoes every day and eat more toward satiety than any special macro percentage.

Missing link?

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #93
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW_CARB_LOLA View Post
So..... I stepped on the scale today and I lost 1.2 lbs
Still not down the complete weight I put on from day 1, and I am still 5 lbs over my lowest, but its a loss!

Onward and downward!

Great!!!
Old 02-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #94
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Key Tones, I agree with Jerome. I have been including taters daily ever since reading PHD and I am shocked at how satisfied I am with my nutrition. I think the combo of bone broth / taters healed me. Something miraculous happens in the gut which is sort of difficult to explain. Miraculous.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #95
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Otzi post from the Post-Holiday Potato Reset thread on MDA, dated 1-10-2013

Had some time to reflect on the people for whom the potato diet doesn't work. Initially, I was pretty confident that eating just about only potatoes for a time would result in weight loss for everyone. I have quite a few friends that have tried it and done really well, but they were all eating SAD prior.

Here, we have had probably 40-50 people try it on various threads and it seems like about 75% or better success rate.

The people who don't do well obviously have a problem with potatoes. We have made the connection that the potatoes contain a bit of resistant starch and that is part of the reason this works so well. If someone isn't prepared for a large influx of resistant starch, then maybe they would experience the exact opposite of the desired outcome, ie. bloating and weight gain

On SAD, there are quite a few sources of RS still in the diet: cooked and cooled pasta, baked goods, breakfast cereals, rice and potatoes. On Primal Blueprint, especially the LC variety, there is almost zero resistant starch.

I don't think it is speculation on my part that RS is a necessary component of a healthy diet. Just Google it! You will get hundreds of hits, all claiming superior health benefits--I've never seen anything to say it is harmful or benign.

So, if you tried the potato diet and failed, I'd suggest this: start getting some RS in your diet slowly. Eat potatoes and rice most days, even if it's just a little. Eat some potato salad or sushi w/cold rice. Eat a slice or two of raw potato regularly, eat very green bananas. If you are Low Carb, you can still do all these things, just keep the portion size to fit your schedule.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #96
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

3 Otzi posts 1-3-13

If you put the raw shreds in a strainer and run hot water over them for a few seconds, it makes them fry up dryer. Although, that gummy starch is part of the 'magic' of the potato diet. Here's another tip--when you are preparing your potatoes, eat a couple of raw slices...almost pure resistant starch. They are pretty good, especially with a sprinkle of salt.

- - -

I remember reading a while back that raw potatoes could cause gastric upset so always shied away from them...however, I have found eating a few slices while cutting them up is no problem. I have never tried more than a few slices.

- - -

Just found this...pretty cool!

The pros and cons of munching on raw potatoes | UTSanDiego.com

QUESTION: I grew up on a farm in Minnesota, and I always used to like eating raw potatoes like apples. I still like them better raw than cooked, with a little salt on them. My mother always said they were healthier that way. Was she right?

– RLL, via e-mail

ANSWER: Although not a common component in the American diet, the eating of raw potatoes has footing in some family traditions. There are some considerations and interesting science regarding eating them this way.

The potato plant produces a number of defensive (toxic) substances in the upper plant (leaves, stems and above-ground fruit), but they are not in the below-ground tubers, which are the “potatoes” we're familiar with. However, a potato (tuber) that's been injured, exposed to sunlight or stored for an extended period of time might begin to sprout or develop patches of green. The green is chlorophyll, produced by photosynthesis.

Chlorophyll is not toxic, but if photosynthesis has begun, it means that toxic alkaloids, such as solanine, will be also present. Green potatoes and especially potato sprouts, should never be eaten. Cooking does not deactivate these toxins.

The raw potato also contains antinutrients that act as enzyme (protease) inhibitors. This might be a consideration if you don't eat well and crunching on raw spuds is a regular part of your diet.

The August 2006 issue of the Journal of Food Science looked at three of the enzyme inhibitors found in raw potatoes and how they decreased during cooking. These substances tend to be in the peel, so you might consider removing the peel. You'll also lose some of the nutrients, but it's a reasonable trade.

Unlike cooked potatoes, some of the starch in raw potatoes is digested poorly. Called “resistant starch,” it passes through the small intestine into the large intestine, where it ends up being fermented by the flora that live there.

Similar to what happens when we eat legumes, this can result in increased fecal bulk, bloating and possibly some undesirable gastrointestinal effects. All this has a positive side in that the fermentation of resistant starches increases the production of butyrate, a fatty acid that is associated with favorable effects on diseases in the colon.
A study in the March 2009 issue of Gut reported how resistant starch had positive effects in colon cancer patients. Another benefit is that raw potatoes don't increase blood sugar like their cooked counterpart.

Interestingly, a study in the November 2005 issue of the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition reported that if you chill a cooked potato, you regain some of this effect. (In that study, they served the chilled potatoes with a vinegar dressing.)

The bottom line is that if you want to eat raw potatoes, aside from peeling them, look for fresh, unblemished, unsprouted potatoes with no hint of green. If you have a choice, opt for potatoes that are grown organically.

There is a complete list of potato nutrients at tinyurl.com/dyerf5. This list represents the nutrients in the raw potato. Cooked potatoes have less vitamin C, thiamine and riboflavin. When eating cooked potatoes, include the skin if you can.

Last edited by Key Tones; 02-27-2013 at 12:07 PM..
Old 02-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #97
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Otzi 1-7-13

Don't beat yourself up if it doesn't work as advertised. Many have success, some don't. Try adding vinegar (apple cider or malt) to fried potatoes to make them really zingy and it also lowers the glycemic load somehow. The best success I had was when eating very plain, ie. S&P & Vinegar, mostly just boiled, no-oil fried, or boiled and cooled potatoes. As soon as I start adding other flavors it gets harder and harder. This is my favorite schedule: Skip breakfast, 1 big potato for lunch prepared however you like, 2 big potatoes for dinner, and a couple small, cold potatoes for a snack between dinner and bed.

Here's another option for you, and pretty much where I see Richard Nickoley headed...if you find you can handle the potatoes well, meaning they cause you no distress, water weight gain, or cravings, then just start eating potatoes along with your normal daily eating. For lunch--a plain potato and a salad, for dinner--oilless fried potatoes as a big side dish. Cut quite a bit back on protein and be mindful of eating too much fat. This also pretty much sums up the Perfect Health Diet and is how I have been eating for some time now. I'm finding much better appetite control, feelings of fullness, exercise recovery, and sleeping better.

Good luck!
Old 02-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #98
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Otzi 10-13-12 from MDA All-Potato Fat Busting Science Thread

I like what you guys are saying, I was hoping some of you would chime in.

This potato fat buster came about as a way to simplify gut flora for people with IBD, GERD, etc..., but turned out to be a fast fat burner.

The simple starch in potatoes is converted to glucose quickly in the small intestine and transited through the bowels quickly. Eating protein causes the secretion of CCK which slows intestinal contractions, this allows the slowly digested protein to stay in the small intestine longer giving more time for amino acid absorption.

While an all-potato diet would be horrible for someone trying to build muscle, even in the short term, someone trying to lose fat as their main concern will see fast and lasting fat-loss from it.

Most find potatoes extremely satiating and it's hard to overeat on them. I, and others, have found it easy to eat at a 50% calorie deficit for 2 weeks, and not lose the desire to keep eating potatoes...try that with skinless chicken breasts or bananas as some have mentioned!

There are certainly other foods with this same effect, potatoes are easy to prepare a lot of ways and are cheap and accessible. A fat-fast has the same effect, but it's easy to overeat on and you can lose the taste for it quickly--but it is effective for much the same reasons.

Another thing I like about an all-potato, short-term diet, is the fact there is no fructose or sucrose involved. The liver is soley engaged in glycogen storage and release and not digesting protein and fructose. The intestine is cleared quickly and digestive bacteria are signalling at optimum level.

As to glycogen replenishment/water weight gain, nobody who's done this has experienced a huge jump in weight like one sees when doing a typical carb refeed. Most see weight loss from day 1.

This trick works, on seemingly 90% of those that try, for a weight loss of .5 to 1lbs a day or 5lbs in a week--10lbs in 14 days. I have never seen a targeted fat-shredding diet work so effectively for the dreaded 'last 10' as this.

If your goal is fat loss, take a break from lifting and try it out.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #99
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Key Tones, I agree with Jerome. I have been including taters daily ever since reading PHD and I am shocked at how satisfied I am with my nutrition. I think the combo of bone broth / taters healed me. Something miraculous happens in the gut which is sort of difficult to explain. Miraculous.
I am rocking the taters and bone broth as well and feel unusually good I am stewing more bone broth today!

I will dive into the Perfect Health Diet when I pull out of the hack for a while.

I should mention Otzi has praised the PHD, but I haven't put those posts here since this is the potato hack thread.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #100
Berta48

Gallery: Berta48
Stats: Low Carb/temp goal239.8 10lbs @ time)
WOE: OWL Low Carb Style 10 lbs at a time!
Start Date: April 17th, 2014(247.8 LC Plan Atkins
I am interested in this Potato hack for my DD on JUDDD.
Can we have the frozen potatoes such as tater tots or french fries?Or would it be best to make them yourself?
Thanks for the information.
Berta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:05 PM   #101
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta48 View Post
Can we have the frozen potatoes such as tater tots or french fries?Or would it be best to make them yourself?
Berta, if you can use them for one meal only. I would try to use roasted reds, mashed yukons, klondikes, or baked russets for the other meal. I actually found some organic waffle fries that crisp up pretty good in 400 degree oven and they had "no additives". I used them when I run out of taters.

Remember the key is to add very little fat and/or sugar. This works the best with non-fat sauces, mustards, malt vinegar, salsas, sauteed onion/jalapenos.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #102
Berta48

Thanks I don't need nothing but salt!
In fact I just expiermented with a potato!
I peeled,washed & sliced it very thin.Then put the slices on a paper plate separting them and nuked them for five minutes until I saw they were crisping up.Let them cool, salted them and I am now sitting here eating crispy homemade potato chipsToday is an UD for me so I wanted to see waht they tasted like.All I can say is..... "I hope I can eat just one"one potato that is!
You have to let them cool and watch closely as they will burn.

Last edited by Berta48; 02-27-2013 at 02:03 PM..
Old 02-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #103
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I believe you are going to love it. I do!
Old 02-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #104
Berta48

Quote:
I believe you are going to love it. I do!
Do you do it every day or just now nd then? Have you lost weight with it?
I am not certain how long I could est just potatoes but if I loose well I think I could stsand it evry other day at least.Especially if I cna have the frosen tater tots and french fries and etc!I just bake them in the oven.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #105
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Do you do it every day or just now nd then? Have you lost weight with it?
I am not certain how long I could est just potatoes but if I loose well I think I could stsand it evry other day at least.Especially if I cna have the frosen tater tots and french fries and etc!I just bake them in the oven.
I am doing the tater hack now and will keep on till Friday. However, I eat taters daily even when I don't hack now. It has so many health benefits that I never knew. I confess that I was a "tater hater" in my pre PHD paleo life.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #106
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<280/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
So, if you tried the potato diet and failed, I'd suggest this: start getting some RS in your diet slowly.
Ha! That's cool! I hadn't read that, but last night after reading about benefits of RS, I decided I would start using my Hi-Maize to "introduce" it for a week or so. (Due to a change in my medication, I'm planning to wait a bit before trying the hack again.) I took a tablespoon before bed, and this morning my FBG (fasting blood sugar) was 90, which is very good for me. I've been getting a lot of good readings recently (even 85 a few times!) since (mostly) eliminating wheat, but it's been up & down. Last two days were 110 & 102, for example.

Quote:
Frozen potatoes are usually "par-fried", so they contain some fat.
The recommendation seems to be a max of 1/2-1tsp fat per medium potato, and am not sure how that would work out with measuring tater tots etc, so I would use fresh potatoes to control that better.
2014:
6/29 282.8
7/07 280.2
7/09 277.8
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #107
Berta48

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Ha! That's cool! I hadn't read that, but last night after reading about benefits of RS, I decided I would start using my Hi-Maize to "introduce" it for a week or so. (Due to a change in my medication, I'm planning to wait a bit before trying the hack again.) I took a tablespoon before bed, and this morning my FBG (fasting blood sugar) was 90, which is very good for me. I've been getting a lot of good readings recently (even 85 a few times!) since (mostly) eliminating wheat, but it's been up & down. Last two days were 110 & 102, for example.

Frozen potatoes are usually "par-fried", so they contain some fat.
The recommendation seems to be a max of 1/2-1tsp fat per medium potato, and am not sure how that would work out with measuring tater tots etc, so I would use fresh potatoes to control that better.
I noticed that on the french fries we had with our burger tonight that they had vegetable oil. I will make and bake my own they are better anway
Do you know how long before you lose weight (on the average)if you do the Potato hack only on a DD?
Old 02-28-2013, 06:33 AM   #108
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, I have suddenly bloated up and I woke up uncomfortable. I don't know if it was the switch to mashed potatoes this week with bone broth (these are too good - I can eat more of these I noticed), the suddenly not having skins, or the addition of kombucha and vinegar.

I wonder if mashing them until they are sticky alters them somehow?

I think I need the fiber....
Old 02-28-2013, 06:40 AM   #109
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Perhaps the Splenda withdrawal is causing an issue? I'm not sure now. Too many changes at once...
Old 02-28-2013, 06:44 AM   #110
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
kt--I sometimes notice a bloat right before a loss. Could it be that you are about to shed a pound or two?
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #111
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hmm, maybe...I just googled kombucha and bloating. Apparently, this is a common reaction to first drinking it. People call it a detox as the gut bacteria changes over. Who knows

I think I will set the stuff aside. I'm still not feeling well...

People are all over me this week telling me I look like I've lost weight (it has really come out of my face especially and finally some off the hips/thighs). I will put off weighing until this thing passes!
Old 02-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #112
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Any time I try a new food with probiotics, be it kimchi, probiotic supplements, cocoyo pudding, etc., I have some bloating and a bit of stomach upset, but it usually passes in a day or so. Do drink ginger tea and feel better soon, Key Tones. And maybe introduce the kombucha in just very small amounts (a couple of tablespoons per day?) next time you try it.

I think my gut flora is getting used to potatoes, since I'm less bloated and gassy and cranky and tired than I was during the previous days of potatoes only (plus malt vinegar or, today, soy sauce). My weight went up 3 pounds when I started on the potatoes, probably due to retaining fluid from no longer eating very low carb, but now it's back to where it was before I started, so I think that's a net loss. After a 2 month stall, any loss at all is heartening.

I'm going to do a social "regular" lunch and dinner tomorrow, a lean protein and tea with half-and-half JUDDD down day on Saturday (for variety), and then do potato hacking until March 14 (2 weeks), unless I stop losing weight for a week or start feeling physically ill. I'm so glad that Ouizoid and Key Tones introduced me to the potato hack; I was running out of all ideas of what to do to start losing again.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #113
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It is good to hear things are going better for you! Hang in there, and thanks for the advice.

I am a little more afraid of kombuba than I was before I tried it now, LOL

I have not had enough pure potato days. Social engagements tonight and all weekend. Sigh

Last edited by Key Tones; 02-28-2013 at 06:19 PM..
Old 02-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #114
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh and I am drinking the ginger tea you recommended on another thread! Thanks!

Last edited by Key Tones; 02-28-2013 at 06:22 PM..
Old 03-01-2013, 03:30 AM   #115
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
I love gingertea! I'm still debating doing this when I'm done with my sugar detox!
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:53 AM   #116
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Today is day 5 of my fast and it has not been too difficult. I will stop for a week and then try another in about 8 days. Down exactly 4 lbs. Since I am in the difficult category, (just like sven) my body does not give me any mercy in the weight loss dept., so I consider this good for now. I will have to see what happens on Mon when I have eaten other foods for a couple of days?

Carry on tater tasters!
Old 03-01-2013, 06:23 AM   #117
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Wow, I have suddenly bloated up and I woke up uncomfortable. I don't know if it was the switch to mashed potatoes this week with bone broth (these are too good - I can eat more of these I noticed), the suddenly not having skins, or the addition of kombucha and vinegar.

I wonder if mashing them until they are sticky alters them somehow?

I think I need the fiber....
Hope you don't have the 'bug' I am just starting to recover from. I woke up bloated and feeling off a couple of days ago and it progressed. Gastro distress and fever. I thought the bloating was weird but it definitely was a 'symptom'.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #118
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have had at the minimum a cup of bone broth w/ taters and have this 2 x per day. Just thought I would throw that out in case anyone needs to know. Mostly mashed taters and bone broth and tater soup.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #119
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Hope you don't have the 'bug' I am just starting to recover from. I woke up bloated and feeling off a couple of days ago and it progressed. Gastro distress and fever. I thought the bloating was weird but it definitely was a 'symptom'.
Oh, sorry to hear! Get well soon!!!

I drank three cups of ginger tea last night. It helped! I'm OK now. I think it really was kombucha shock...
Old 03-01-2013, 08:27 AM   #120
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Today is day 5 of my fast and it has not been too difficult. I will stop for a week and then try another in about 8 days. Down exactly 4 lbs. Since I am in the difficult category, (just like sven) my body does not give me any mercy in the weight loss dept., so I consider this good for now. I will have to see what happens on Mon when I have eaten other foods for a couple of days?

Carry on tater tasters!
The 4 pounds is great!!!

Ugh, and slow like me!!! I have lost the 114 pounds over 8 years!!! Never more than 15 to 20 pounds in any one year! I am hoping the potato hack works faster but history tends to repeat itself.

I am not home today, will weigh in tonight or tomorrow. I don't feel anything happened this week. I have had a few off meals and ate off plan last weekend at social events.