Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #361
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gator
Stats: start145.8/load153/LDW131.4
WOE: HCG
Start Date: start 3/8/13 RIP1
ok, potato gurus. i need your help, faith, and expertise.
i am 5.8 over ldw. i gained 5.2 from mother's day splurge of pecan pancakes, sf syrup and yogurt pie with graham cracker crust, yes, i ate almost the whole pie. still 5.2 lb!!

you can see i am super sensitive to carbs. i have tried protocol correction days such as steak days, Full Fat Fage days, chicken thigh days, and a whole baked chicken day. best loss i ever had was .2.

i have been reading and reading these threads and i thought i would take a leap of faith and go for it. i can only do it for 3 days-today, wed. and thurs.-bc i have a business dinner w/ dh and out of town peeps friday night.

so couple questions:
1)does it really take 4 days to see a loss?? if so i am screwed. i saw that on here. eek!

2)how much? i had a mug of black coffee with stevia, ick for bf
later i had 4oz of baby yellows that i had cut in half, sprinkled with onion and garlic powder and cayanne pepper and a little malt vinegar.
about an hour later i had 4.25oz of the same-all at room temp.
according to what i looked up that's about 200cals. i don't do judd. i ate about 600 cals yesterday consisting of 200cals kerry gold butter, 100 cals of coconut/mtc oil and the rest was veggies and all whites.
i dropped 1.6 of the 5.2 i put on in that one day.

how many cals should i shoot for today?
i also boiled red potatoes.
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #362
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
ok, potato gurus. i need your help, faith, and expertise.
i am 5.8 over ldw. i gained 5.2 from mother's day splurge of pecan pancakes, sf syrup and yogurt pie with graham cracker crust, yes, i ate almost the whole pie. still 5.2 lb!!

you can see i am super sensitive to carbs. i have tried protocol correction days such as steak days, Full Fat Fage days, chicken thigh days, and a whole baked chicken day. best loss i ever had was .2.

i have been reading and reading these threads and i thought i would take a leap of faith and go for it. i can only do it for 3 days-today, wed. and thurs.-bc i have a business dinner w/ dh and out of town peeps friday night.

so couple questions:
1)does it really take 4 days to see a loss?? if so i am screwed. i saw that on here. eek!

2)how much? i had a mug of black coffee with stevia, ick for bf
later i had 4oz of baby yellows that i had cut in half, sprinkled with onion and garlic powder and cayanne pepper and a little malt vinegar.
about an hour later i had 4.25oz of the same-all at room temp.
according to what i looked up that's about 200cals. i don't do judd. i ate about 600 cals yesterday consisting of 200cals kerry gold butter, 100 cals of coconut/mtc oil and the rest was veggies and all whites.
i dropped 1.6 of the 5.2 i put on in that one day.

how many cals should i shoot for today?
i also boiled red potatoes.
The great thing about the tater hack is that you just eat until sated. Also on the 5.2 lbs, that is not really fat, most of that is water weight from the sugar and carbs. You will drop the water on the first few days.
sunday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #363
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gator
Stats: start145.8/load153/LDW131.4
WOE: HCG
Start Date: start 3/8/13 RIP1
i'm very concerned right now. it's 7:30 and i'm very bloated.
ate about 1 and a half pounds of potatoes and black coffee and about 125oz+ water today.

i'm hoping i'm in the majority of this working for me.
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:23 AM   #364
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Give it at least 3 days. Lots of people bloat initially and then it comes right off
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #365
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Yokochick
Stats: 5'3" Start: 190/Current: 155/ Goal:110
Start Date: Start: 3/16/2013 Restart Date: 5/5/2013
Hiya there! I recently started the potato hack (it's been 3 days) and I've noticed that my nose is running a lot and I'm sneezing quite a bit. I know it isn't because of the weather and I don't feel bad, but I was wondering if anyone else had symptoms like this and if you did, when they went away.

Last edited by Yokochick; 06-05-2013 at 09:57 AM..
Yokochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #366
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/115-120
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokochick View Post
I've noticed that my nose is running a lot and I'm sneezing quite a bit. I know it isn't because of the weather and I don't feel bad, but I was wondering if anyone else had symptoms like this and if you did, when they went away.
I did a 28day hack in March - I had 2 or 3 spells of gut problems, recurrent cold extremities etc. but not what you're describing. I hope that it clears for you.

As a matter of interest, how are you preparing and eating them? (I ended up incorporating rice so that I could reduce my gut problems and continue the hack.)
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:58 AM   #367
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
I did a 28day hack in March - I had 2 or 3 spells of gut problems, recurrent cold extremities etc. but not what you're describing. I hope that it clears for you.

As a matter of interest, how are you preparing and eating them? (I ended up incorporating rice so that I could reduce my gut problems and continue the hack.)
I'm peeling my potatoes and boiling them. Eating them with minimal spices. Occassionally I'll bake them as oven fries. Again with no peel becuase it makes me feel a bit neausous when I do eat too many potato peels. The sneezing spells and runny nose usually are less frequent when I fast through breakfast and eat a big dosage of potatoes maybe twice a day rather than constantly eating smaller potato things as my day goes on.

It's the oddest thing. I just tell people at work that my sneezing spells are because of spring, but I've never had any seasonal allegies before and it's closer to summer rather than spring on my side of the world.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #368
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
I've done several potato days/hacks and never had a reaction like this either. Any of the spices new? Perhaps a reaction to them? Or the dirt/dust/pollen on the potatoes before you clean & peel them?
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #369
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Hiya there! I recently started the potato hack (it's been 3 days) and I've noticed that my nose is running a lot and I'm sneezing quite a bit. I know it isn't because of the weather and I don't feel bad, but I was wondering if anyone else had symptoms like this and if you did, when they went away.
I think it is detox. Pure and simple. You can google for symptoms of detoxing, but it sounds like it to me. When I start my diet (I use the hcg protocol for weight loss) I get various detox symptoms. I sometimes get a headache, I get a sore throat, or it can be like a cold, the symptoms can vary. But they are all related to my poor diet and detoxing off those "forbidden foods" I love so much. It will pass. Believe me, it will. Nothing to be concerned about.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #370
Junior LCF Member

deleted duplicate

Last edited by Yokochick; 06-07-2013 at 07:33 AM..
Old 06-07-2013, 07:33 AM   #371
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
I've done several potato days/hacks and never had a reaction like this either. Any of the spices new? Perhaps a reaction to them? Or the dirt/dust/pollen on the potatoes before you clean & peel them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
I think it is detox. Pure and simple. You can google for symptoms of detoxing, but it sounds like it to me. When I start my diet (I use the hcg protocol for weight loss) I get various detox symptoms. I sometimes get a headache, I get a sore throat, or it can be like a cold, the symptoms can vary. But they are all related to my poor diet and detoxing off those "forbidden foods" I love so much. It will pass. Believe me, it will. Nothing to be concerned about.
Thank you so much for the responses! I tried searching the forums for my specific symptoms and didn't notice anyone that had it. Then I checked Google and it told me I might be allergic to potatoes. I doubted that that was true because I never had an issue with devouring greasy fries and chips .

I'm going to bank on the whole detox explanation and hope this dies down soon around the 7 day mark You guys rock, thanks again
Old 06-08-2013, 06:22 AM   #372
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Oh wow Yoko. I never thought of an allergy to potatoes. That was never on my radar. Like you said, who is allergic to fries and chips??!! I certainly hope it is not an allergic reaction to the potatoes and it passes quickly for you.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:10 AM   #373
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/115-120
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
I checked Google and it told me I might be allergic to potatoes. I doubted that that was true because I never had an issue with devouring greasy fries and chips :
I can't think why this would suddenly be an immunological issue unless it's previously been masked by consuming potatoes with other foodstuffs (like the fat in chips/fries).

I wonder if it might be worth your while to experiment with eating plain boiled rice if you want to continue with the spirit of the hack but reduce the amount of potato until your symptoms subside?
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #374
Junior LCF Member

It took all of those 7 days, but now I can breathe again! I'm taking a break from the hack now and adding in some veggies, but I hope my next fast goes smoother and can last a bit longer.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #375
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kaisergirl
Stats: 152~176 (preg)~ 133~192 (preg)~146~130 5'4
WOE: Atkins/low cal
Start Date: Jan. 2003
Hello all! I've been reading and following this post for a while now, finally decided to give it a try. I was rolling along real well and lost 13 pounds the good old fashioned way of LC, but after too many birthday parties and meals on the go, I've managed to gain back 4 pounds.

So I purchased 2 10lb bags this weekend and made my first batch of homefries. I baked them in the microwave first, then sliced up and broiled for about 20 minutes, getting them nice and crispy. Oh heaven, yum!!! I've been such a tater hater for the last 10 years, feels very naughty.

I hope I don't have the bloat/gut issues. I do make/drink my own kombucha, so I'll continue that and see if that helps with the gut. I found a new recipe for ginger/lemon kombucha, I'll incorporate that this week. I also make bone broth and have a batch in the fridge to use up.

anyway, just posting here for accountability I'll post my results at the end of the week

mk
Old 10-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #376
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/231/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Hi Kaisergirl!

I am having a terrible time getting back on track after vacation. I can't think of a better way to reset. I'm in.

I found a super-cheap source of organic russet potatoes at Safeway.

Hang in there!
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:46 AM   #377
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kaisergirl
Stats: 152~176 (preg)~ 133~192 (preg)~146~130 5'4
WOE: Atkins/low cal
Start Date: Jan. 2003
well, Day 4 and I've only lost 1 lb.... and NO cheats. Not sure if I should continue. I'm really really tired of potatos.

How do you break the fast? Should I go to protein only for a couple of days?
kaisergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:36 AM   #378
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yeah, I know what you mean. It was exciting the first time, but since then I only seem to be able to do it for 2 or 3 days before chucking it. I gave up and ate a regular dinner last night.

I exited the plan to bland food/shangri-la diet, which works better for me than low carb. I was floating 230-240 doing low carb, so I had to do something else.

I have read on the paleo blogs that people exiting to their usual diet works just fine; generally, they were doing it for two weeks.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Old 01-19-2014, 11:14 AM   #379
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DABG
Stats: S:184, C: 164, G: 145
WOE: LC, IF, RS
Start Date: RS: 12/ 28/13
just bumping to see who is still here. I began this WOE 3 -4 days ago, and so far, so good--not hungry at all, BG down very nicely to my surprise and delight, plenty of energy, AND down a pound.

What gave me the courage to try this is the favorable nutritional information now widely available about potatoes and the recent interest across the web on Resistant Starch, as well as the success of some of the LCF's now eating potatoes.

I was dx'ed not long ago with hypothyroidism as well as being t2Diabetic for some years. From reading here, I learned that Armour might be a good choice for me so asked my PCP for it and he said "sure." I am very happy with it and so is he...my hair is coming back, my temp is up, and I'm no longer cold all the time--have more energy, too.

I am just wondering--after some of my recent reading--if my years-long dedication to LC may have contributed to my hypo situation, so feel it is worth a try to vary my eating and do a little careful experimenting.
DABG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:48 PM   #380
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sorry - I haven't been around.

My doctor just told me to quit eating potatoes and to go on nutritional ketosis. I've been potato hacking again and have gotten unbearably cold. I'm going to have to do something else, so I will listen to him. He did test my thyroid, full panel, and it is perfect. My cold problem is my diet.

Last edited by Key Tones; 01-23-2014 at 06:50 PM..
Old 01-26-2014, 12:31 PM   #381
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
Start Date: March 2012
I am still a fan of the potato! Can't face another hack yet but what I learned on the potato hack changed how I eat. I used to think all carbs made me hungry but now when I need a meal that fills me up and keeps me full I make one of the potato meals I had on the hack. Keeps me full all day on very few calories.
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:39 PM   #382
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 330/249/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
Can someone tell me the difference between potato hacking and supplementing with potato starch?

I am insulin resistant and want to try potato starch and see how it affects my BS.

Any advice, suggestions? I checked out MDA but didn't find any easy understanding on exactly how to take this stuff. Some take it in water, others in food, others in a meal, etc.
JayLynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:09 PM   #383
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am using the potato starch for gut health. It feeds the good bacteria that may die off in the intestines because of not sending down the kind of food that keeps it alive when on low carb.

I read it helps blood sugar regulation, but those people are eating carbs. My doc tackled me; I'm not allowed to eat any more potatoes.

You could go to Free the Animal and read there. There are a bazillion posts on RS.

You could also just ask tatertot on MDA.

I just drop mine into a smoothie. I am up to a huge heaping teaspoon 2x per day. At first I could only take one level teaspoon otherwise I blew myself up big time in ways you don't want to know about....
Old 04-10-2014, 04:39 AM   #384
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bradsbabe
WOE: LCHFMP
Start Date: January 2013
What does the potato starch do?
Bradsbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:42 AM   #385
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb