Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 06:43 AM   #331
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Whole foods sells a frozen mixture of Kale, collard greens and mustard greens. I use a handful or two of that plus fresh parsley (good for detox) veggies (usually cukes and celery) and frozen fruit (berries or mango or pineapple), water and I usually throw in some perfect health diet stuff (seaweed, collagen powder, chia seed, brazil nuts, a little aloe gel and some nondairy kefir. I have a vitamix so I can blend it all well. My favorite breakfast
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #332
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Ouiz, You have a great idea to add the seaweed & brazil nuts. I meant to add, that sometimes I will throw pureed pumpkin into my smoothie as well.

Okay, does anyone know if this is true or did I dream it? I watched the Dr. Oz show when he hosted Joel Fuhrman and there were quite a few of his guests who have been following his plan with great results health & weight wise. I thought I recall that Furhman doesn't recommend drinking veggies, but believes we need to chew them? It was something that I was going to go back and research, but never got to it. Anyway would drinking the green smoothie negate the health benefits of the fresh veggies?
Or is this still a great method? I can eat the veggies, but would prefer not to, I am really enjoying this healthy drink.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #333
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Sunday - I know a Furhman zealot. She has printed out smoothie recipes from his site, so I know he is vitamix friendly. She told me about the chewing - this is for eating salads. He says chew salads throughly.

I have his eat to live stuff and tried it years ago. I was so sick trying to eat the beans (I have trouble digesting), salads, and smoothes. He thinks it is best to limit starches. Ugh. If I had only known!
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #334
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Sunday - I know a Furhman zealot. She has printed out smoothie recipes from his site, so I know he is vitamix friendly. She told me about the chewing - this is for eating salads. He says chew salads throughly.

I have his eat to live stuff and tried it years ago. I was so sick trying to eat the beans (I have trouble digesting), salads, and smoothes. He thinks it is best to limit starches. Ugh. If I had only known!
Thanks. I love the green smoothie and was wondering about this.

I agree that the starches are so important for our gut. In fact, it was the tater hack thread that lead me to the Perfect Health plan which has some similarities to Furhman's in the fact that he promotes an abundance of plant food, but Jaminet also stresses that legumes have toxins.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #335
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

fuhrman limits starches like potatoes to a cup a day if you are in weight loss mode--otherwise he doesn't care if you eat them. It has been easy to do as my dinner is now a combo of brussel sprouts, cauli, broccoli and potato. Yum.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #336
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh my, I would love to have brussel sprouts. How do you fix them? Roast or steamed?
Old 04-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #337
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ah, yes, of course I would have only been looking at the weight loss plan.

I used to roast brussels sprouts. I have to say, and this is really odd, that I like them better just plain boiled or steamed. I have roasted them twice; the first time I was a bit fearful having heard how "horrible" they are (with olive oil and garlic).

I wouldn't have known how good they are just plain boiled if I hadn't been to someone's house that served them boiled. I found them delicious. The flavor is very mild. I just cut them in half and steam them now.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Old 04-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #338
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

trader joes has them frozen--I nuke all my veggies with a little bone broth, add my taters and a little salsa con queso and nuke again. the best.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:24 PM   #339
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Whole foods sells a frozen mixture of Kale, collard greens and mustard greens. I use a handful or two of that plus fresh parsley (good for detox) veggies (usually cukes and celery) and frozen fruit (berries or mango or pineapple), water and I usually throw in some perfect health diet stuff (seaweed, collagen powder, chia seed, brazil nuts, a little aloe gel and some nondairy kefir. I have a vitamix so I can blend it all well. My favorite breakfast
Smoothies are a great place to hide things. Mine is basically greens, fruit and water but I have been throwing my daily PHD oyster (frozen) in too. It hides quite well

Last edited by cici52; 04-18-2013 at 12:26 PM..
cici52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #340
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Ouiz, You have a great idea to add the seaweed & brazil nuts. I meant to add, that sometimes I will throw pureed pumpkin into my smoothie as well.

Okay, does anyone know if this is true or did I dream it? I watched the Dr. Oz show when he hosted Joel Fuhrman and there were quite a few of his guests who have been following his plan with great results health & weight wise. I thought I recall that Furhman doesn't recommend drinking veggies, but believes we need to chew them? It was something that I was going to go back and research, but never got to it. Anyway would drinking the green smoothie negate the health benefits of the fresh veggies?
Or is this still a great method? I can eat the veggies, but would prefer not to, I am really enjoying this healthy drink.
I am currently reading Eat To Live and he has two blended salad recipes so it seems okay. I will let you know if I come across any contrary advice.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:42 AM   #341
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Cici.

On the oyster.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:41 AM   #342
Major LCF Poster!

Although Fuhrman recommends meatless for fastest weight loss. I am loath to give up my BB. I do defat it.

Ouiz, what plan are you following?
Old 04-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #343
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

fuhrman with BB on my nightime veggies, and two tins of oysters or mackeral twice a week plus 5 liver pills per day. OMG, I have so lost my taste for meat. So bizarre after all these years of LC

Breakfast: Kale and berrie smoothie plus collagen, seaweed, 2 brazil nuts, 1 Tbs chia seed, dairy free probiotic.

Lunch: veggie soup and a big salad with different veggies and fruit and raw slivered almonds or pecans or raw cashews, maybe a few kale chips

dinner: the same every night. never bored! Taters plus veg (usually cauli,, broccoli, brussel sprouts), BB, salsa con queso.

incredibly satisfying food wise, and my "toxic hunger" (fuhrman's term for cravings) is gone.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #344
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ouizoid, what a cool plan.

I just ordered some liver capsules (I can't handle horse pills - too bad the capsules are so expensive). I think my appetite is out of line due to deficiences.

I notice I have better appetite control on days when I take a tablespoon of chia seeds in the afternoon, seriously. I should make this a daily thing.

I have a stock of oysters, but don't like them much so I get teriyaki and still find it hard to get them down. Are you using canned?

Are the nuts per PHD? I can't remember; it has been years since I read Jaminet. Is there a skeleton of the PHD somewhere?
Old 04-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #345
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Toxic hunger is the perfect term! The loss of cravings, my first clue that my gut was healing. So thankful.

I don't eat near the amount of meat/protein, as I did prior to PHD, which I believe has helped with weight loss.

During JUDDD, I am one who went through a spell of craving salty chips/nuts and then afterwards dark chocolate. It was a vicious cycle that seemed to be exaggerated on UDs and then I would naturally suffer the following DD. I noticed after doing the first tater hack, that it helped in this area quite a bit. I still allow myself nuts/dark chocolate, but not every day and never seems to be uncontrollable or anxious.

Last edited by sunday; 04-19-2013 at 10:16 AM..
Old 04-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #346
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Ouizoid, what a cool plan.

Are the nuts per PHD? I can't remember; it has been years since I read Jaminet. Is there a skeleton of the PHD somewhere?
KT, Oysters are a good source of iron which is an essential mineral used to transport oxygen to all parts of the body. A slight deficiency in iron causes anemia (fatigue/weakness), and a chronic deficiency can lead to organ failure.
You can also get this from liver, pumpkin seeds, spinach or veal which I prefer.

Here is a link to the PHD guidelines...

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/other-plans/800907-perfect-health-diet-april.html#post16347459

Supplement Recs here!

Perfect Health Diet - April

Oysters are also great source for selenium which is found in brazil nuts too. Selenium helps to keep our thyroid optimal.

Last edited by sunday; 04-19-2013 at 10:19 AM..
Old 04-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #347
Major LCF Poster!

Ouiz, that was exactly what I was looking for. Fuhrman with a PHD supplement twist. In just 3 days, my hunger has diminished while my calories have been cut in half without white knuckles. The hunger I have is different and not so urgent. Sunday, I think you described something similar early in PHD. Not sure if the absence of meat is contributory, but I am sure the low salt aspect makes a difference.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #348
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, thank you!!! I should have checked the bottom of the PHD thread.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #349
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Does anyone know why I can't get my siggie to just link PHD? It drives me nuts. I know it is a small thing, but I have tried a gazillion times to fix it.

Cici, I think the bone broth on taters is what makes the tater hack so much easier than just taters. It could be in my head, but I don't think so.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #350
Major LCF Poster!

Ouiz, does your salsa con queso include cheese or have you substituted something for the dairy? I have never seen a recipe without the cheese.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #351
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Meh. I ain't no perfect follower of any plan. I like it and its the only naughty product I use if you don't count bone broth, oysters and liver pills, lol. Never let the perfect be the enemy of the good I always say! I am 90% compliant
Old 04-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #352
Major LCF Poster!

Nicely put. I never do perfect. Just wish I was as comfortable with it.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #353
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

There are some vegan salsa con quests I also sometimes use from whole foods. Only 15 cals for 2 tbs. a different flavor and contains wheat but it is vegan
Old 04-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #354
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My Cuisinart grill (the one with the reversible panini plates) just arrived. Whipped it out, put a large raw potato through the cuisinart food processor (the slicer), put it on 400 degrees, brushed it with melted butter, cooked about 10 min (kept opening to see).

Oh, my, goodness....!!! Add ketchup and yum!!!!

That really wasn't much longer than the microwave for a large potato.

Oh my gosh...hash browns!!!
Old 04-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #355
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
That sounds great!
I'm still about at 80% from my poor GI upset. I've been doing kinda modified potato/rice alternates with a few "normal" meals on my UDs because I can feel my intestines are inflamed. Isn't that funny? I wish we had our ultrasound, it would be funny to see it. I crave the bland potatoes and rice, they make me feel better.
The point - you guys talking about losing your cravings and only wanting healthful things. I didn't know much about the PHD but looked at the links yesterday and I'm realizing this is the direction I tend to crave most of the time. Although I've yet to give up meat. But all our meat is either organic or home grown so I wonder if that matters.
I'm not saying I'm at 100% PHD but I think, by accident, I'm at about 60%. Now that I know its a thing, I might try to go more like 90%. Or more, we'll see.
Thanks for the smoothie recipes. I'm excited to try them.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:46 AM   #356
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yennie, I was paleo during my JUDDDing for almost a year and discovered the PHD by accident. PHD is Pacific Paleo with emphasis on plant foods and nutrients. It works very well with any type of IF.

I am at the age where it was time for me to take control of what I was eating. I have been hypothyroid for 10 years and felt that I may have been nutritionally deplete from many years of dieting. Please feel free to join us on PHD as we learn so much from each other.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #357
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mamatomany
WOE: PHD
Start Date: 1/17/13
Quick question...I have to have FF cream in my coffee...obviously no fat, less than 1 gram of protein, and 3 carbs...do you see this as a problem? Please tell me no....please
Mamatomany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #358
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatomany View Post
Quick question...I have to have FF cream in my coffee...obviously no fat, less than 1 gram of protein, and 3 carbs...do you see this as a problem? Please tell me no....please
Opinions vary, but if any condiment goes for potatoes, I don't see why not to get your morning coffee down.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #359
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gator
Stats: start145.8/load153/LDW131.4
WOE: HCG
Start Date: start 3/8/13 RIP1
ok, potato gurus. i need your help, faith, and expertise.
i am 5.8 over ldw. i gained 5.2 from mother's day splurge of pecan pancakes, sf syrup and yogurt pie with graham cracker crust, yes, i ate almost the whole pie. still 5.2 lb!!

you can see i am super sensitive to carbs. i have tried protocol correction days such as steak days, Full Fat Fage days, chicken thigh days, and a whole baked chicken day. best loss i ever had was .2.

i have been reading and reading these threads and i thought i would take a leap of faith and go for it. i can only do it for 3 days-today, wed. and thurs.-bc i have a business dinner w/ dh and out of town peeps friday night.

so couple questions:
1)does it really take 4 days to see a loss?? if so i am screwed. i saw that on here. eek!

2)how much? i had a mug of black coffee with stevia, ick for bf
later i had 4oz of baby yellows that i had cut in half, sprinkled with onion and garlic powder and cayanne pepper and a little malt vinegar.
about an hour later i had 4.25oz of the same-all at room temp.
according to what i looked up that's about 200cals. i don't do judd. i ate about 600 cals yesterday consisting of 200cals kerry gold butter, 100 cals of coconut/mtc oil and the rest was veggies and all whites.
i dropped 1.6 of the 5.2 i put on in that one day.

how many cals should i shoot for today?
i also boiled red potatoes.
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #360
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
ok, potato gurus. i need your help, faith, and expertise.
i am 5.8 over ldw. i gained 5.2 from mother's day splurge of pecan pancakes, sf syrup and yogurt pie with graham cracker crust, yes, i ate almost the whole pie. still 5.2 lb!!

you can see i am super sensitive to carbs. i have tried protocol correction days such as steak days, Full Fat Fage days, chicken thigh days, and a whole baked chicken day. best loss i ever had was .2.

i have been reading and reading these threads and i thought i would take a leap of faith and go for it. i can only do it for 3 days-today, wed. and thurs.-bc i have a business dinner w/ dh and out of town peeps friday night.

so couple questions:
1)does it really take 4 days to see a loss?? if so i am screwed. i saw that on here. eek!

2)how much? i had a mug of black coffee with stevia, ick for bf
later i had 4oz of baby yellows that i had cut in half, sprinkled with onion and garlic powder and cayanne pepper and a little malt vinegar.
about an hour later i had 4.25oz of the same-all at room temp.
according to what i looked up that's about 200cals. i don't do judd. i ate about 600 cals yesterday consisting of 200cals kerry gold butter, 100 cals of coconut/mtc oil and the rest was veggies and all whites.
i dropped 1.6 of the 5.2 i put on in that one day.

how many cals should i shoot for today?
i also boiled red potatoes.
The great thing about the tater hack is that you just eat until sated. Also on the 5.2 lbs, that is not really fat, most of that is water weight from the sugar and carbs. You will drop the water on the first few days.