Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: healthy for life
Stats: 165/156/130 height 5'5"
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: January 3, 2014
Thoughts on whole30?

Hi everyone!

I am day 4 of this strict 30 day paleo plan and was wondering if anyone had done it on here? the rules are no dairy, no grains, no alcohol, no artificial sweetners of any kind including stevia. you are allowed meats, preferrably grass fed, healthy fat (olive oil, coconut oil, ghee, avocado, etc) fruit and non-starchy veg (but sweet potatoes allowed), nuts allowed in moderation.

I am feeling great as it's really a super clean way of eating. I think the no alcohol rule and no dairy will help me acheive a good jump start on my weight loss. I have a tendency to overdue it with cheese. I am limiting my fruits and nuts but am enjoying some berries and 1/2 apple daily.

Just curious if anyone had done this program? I am doing it as a sort of cleanse/get back on track after a very indulgent holiday season not being on plan

Thanks for any input!
Ainsley
healthy for life is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/160.8/165
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
My brother and his wife did this last summer and restarted after New Year.
They love it.
They report excellent weight loss and a true sense of well being.
For me, I think it would be too restrictive and may lead to a reactionary binge.
Besides............in all honesty, I do enjoy a vodka gimlet now and then.
Patkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
"clean" is so subjective. to me nothing as high in sugar/carbs as fruit or sweet potatoes would ever be "clean." it just depends on your body.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kellydawne
I'm in the middle of my second whole 30 (the first was last January) I feel great when I eat this way.
For me, this is a really healthy way to eat and a great way to shove me back to healthy eating habits after a few holiday indulgences.
Pop into the 30 day challenge thread if you want some ideas or need some support. There are a variety of paleo/primal eating plans going & everyone is really supportive.

Ravenrose, for me I can easily add the occasional sweet potato and a little more fruit eating this way. I dropped weight that wasn't coming off with an Atkins mindset when I started this last January. I really do think (for me) that I was overdoing dairy AND that artificial sweeteners were really messing up my metabolism.
kellydawne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
This is basically how I eat all the time, for the last 8 months or so, except I don't eat sweet potatoes and fruit and I do eat organic dairy. This spring I plan to do a month without dairy, and see whether I lose weight faster or feel better without dairy.

I drink a glass of wine maybe once a month socially, so I guess that counts as a minimal deviation from whole 30.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: healthy for life
Stats: 165/156/130 height 5'5"
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: January 3, 2014
thanks everyone!! I'm really loving eat fruit and sweet potatoes again (after giving nutritional ketosis a go...not for me!) I don't have a ton of weight to lose and am very active so I find I can get away with the extra carbs. I think cutting out dairy and artificial sweetners and alcohol is making all the difference for me!! You aren't allowed to weigh yourself until day 30 but I can already tell my pants feel looser after 5 days and my face less puffy. I highly recommend this plan so far!
healthy for life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:41 AM   #7
Dae
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dae
Stats: 5'5" (136/126/110)
WOE: 20-30g carb/day
Start Date: Restart: June 2012
Currently in the middle of my first Whole30 and it's really helping with the major carb creep I had on plain LC (20~30g/day) as well as getting rid of the cravings/binges I had with cheese and nuts. Haven't weighed yet as per the guidelines, but it feels pretty good so far!
Dae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:12 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: labmini
Stats: 197.5/178/150
WOE: Keeping it real, clean and low carb
Start Date: 7/1/12
I did a whole 30 in September and loved it, but went way off the reservation in October, so my goal with this one I just started is to complete or go further than 30 days and do the reintroduction by the book to see if dairy messes with me or if I can add it back in

Good luck!
labmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #9
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
I'm doing it and have a couple of days left... I feel great.. can't wait to weigh in even though I don't expect much because I started exercising also this month 6 days a week...
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Those of you doing Whole30 - I checked out the site just a bit & got rather confused. They seem to have a few different versions.

At least one version includes more than nutrition with focus on things like getting enough sleep, etc. I'm not sure which version that is but was wondering if any of you are doing the all-inclusive program or just the nutrition?
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabby1
Stats: 220/192/170 5'9" 47yo
WOE: Gentle Low Carb
Start Date: 6/22/2012
From the Whole9 website: (Whole9 is the umbrella concept that is an entire lifestyle change, Whole30 is just the nutritional aspect of it)

Our Whole30 program, as outlined.

Eat real food – meat, seafood, eggs, tons of vegetables, some fruit, and plenty of good fats from fruits, oils, nuts and seeds. Eat foods with very few ingredients, all pronounceable ingredients, or better yet, no ingredients listed at all because they’re totally natural and unprocessed. Don’t worry… these guidelines are outlined in extensive detail in our free shopping list.

More importantly, here’s what NOT to eat during the duration of your Whole30 program. Omitting all of these foods and beverages will help you regain your healthy metabolism, reduce systemic inflammation, and help you discover how these foods are truly impacting your health, fitness and quality of life.

Do not consume added sugar of any kind, real or artificial. No maple syrup, honey, agave nectar, Splenda, Equal, Nutrasweet, xylitol, stevia, etc. Read your labels, because companies sneak sugar into products in ways you might not recognize.
Do not consume alcohol, in any form, not even for cooking. (And it should go without saying, but no tobacco products of any sort, either.)

Do not eat grains. This includes (but is not limited to) wheat, rye, barley, oats, corn, rice, millet, bulgur, sorghum, amaranth, buckwheat, sprouted grains and all of those gluten-free pseudo-grains like quinoa. Yes, we said corn… for the purposes of this program, corn is a grain! This also includes all the ways we add wheat, corn and rice into our foods in the form of bran, germ, starch and so on. Again, read your labels.

Do not eat legumes. This includes beans of all kinds (black, red, pinto, navy, white, kidney, lima, fava, etc.), peas, chickpeas, lentils, and peanuts. No peanut butter, either. This also includes all forms of soy – soy sauce, miso, tofu, tempeh, edamame, and all the ways we sneak soy into foods (like lecithin).

Do not eat dairy. This includes cow, goat or sheep’s milk products such as cream, cheese (hard or soft), kefir, yogurt (even Greek), and sour cream… with the exception of clarified butter or ghee. (See below for details.)

Do not consume carrageenan, MSG or sulfites. If these ingredients appear in any form on the label of your processed food or beverage, it’s out for the Whole30.

Do not eat white potatoes. This is somewhat arbitrary, but if we are trying to change your habits and improve the hormonal impact of your food choices, it’s best to leave white, red, purple, Yukon gold and fingerling potatoes off your plate.

In addition, no Paleo-ifying dessert or junk food choices. Trying to shove your old, unhealthy diet into a shiny new Whole30 mold will ruin your program faster than you can say, “Paleo pizza.” This means no desserts or junk food made with “approved” ingredients—no coconut-flour pancakes, almond-flour muffins, flourless brownies, or coconut milk ice cream. Don’t try to replicate junk food during your 30 days! That misses the point of the Whole30 entirely.

One last and final rule. You are not allowed to step on the scale or take any body measurements for the duration of the program. This is about so much more than just weight loss, and to focus on your body composition means you’ll miss out on the most dramatic and lifelong benefits this plan has to offer. So, no weighing yourself, analyzing body fat or taking comparative measurements during your Whole30. (We do encourage you to weigh yourself before and after, however, so you can see one of the more tangible results of your efforts when your program is over.)

-----I am kinda sorta doing this plan. After doing low carb for so long (well, six months) it was a relatively easy next step to drop the dairy and the artificial sweeteners. I agree with Healthy for Life- I less puffy AND have lost weight- two pounds a week, two weeks in a row. (Yes, I weighed! That's why I say I am kinda sorta doing it...plus, I add a Stevia packet to my morning veggie smoothie.)

Last edited by Gabby1; 02-10-2013 at 08:54 AM..
Gabby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
A friend of mine just finished and she looks AMAZING. And this was a woman who look amazing before. I am considering it starting March 25th. Would love a friend to join me
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kayellr
Stats: 5'5" 195/171/135
WOE: LCHF/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 1/29/2013
I did a whole 30 last summer. It was great, and I felt very healthy during it, so I plan to do another round once the weather warms up.

It was difficult in some ways though. There are virtually NO processed foods you can eat. Even though I eat pretty clean normally it was amazing to discover how many things contain banned ingredients. Standard seasonings I use like soy sauce, curry paste and sriracha (sugar!) were out, and I'd find myself flailing while cooking.

This time to make it simpler I'm going to set up a rotating meal plan of 4 or 5 main dishes ahead of time that I know work. I highly recommend planning ahead for a Whole 30 and reading every single label.

Sugar (and most every other nasty) seems to be in EVERYTHING. It often seemed that if it had a label it was out.
kayellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
I'm finishing up my first week of Whole30! I thought I was eating well before, but I was noticing carb creep and definitely love my dairy. So far, the hardest thing about it is planning ahead. I have food sensitivities, so I can't eat a lot of foods that would be portable. I have to do a lot of cooking, and that takes up time especially when I'm a full-time student, mom, and wife along with volunteering! I feel smaller. Can't wait to weigh in 3 weeks!
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:12 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
I'm impressed that you all can do this! The no-dairy, no-alcohol rules are real stumblers for me. However, I love sweet potatoes, nuts, and berries, so maybe they'd outweigh the no-heavy cream and no-wine rules.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiva View Post
I'm impressed that you all can do this! The no-dairy, no-alcohol rules are real stumblers for me. However, I love sweet potatoes, nuts, and berries, so maybe they'd outweigh the no-heavy cream and no-wine rules.
I am going on my second week of no dairy/sugar. I don't eat grains. Maybe I am practicing. lol

The wine is a tough one! Still doing my homework.

I wonder how much veggies a day and where do you buy Ghee from? I saw it at our local Indian store - it was not refrigerated. Is that right?

I like the idea of no calorie counting nor scale watching too.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliekaboolie View Post
I'm finishing up my first week of Whole30! I thought I was eating well before, but I was noticing carb creep and definitely love my dairy. So far, the hardest thing about it is planning ahead. I have food sensitivities, so I can't eat a lot of foods that would be portable. I have to do a lot of cooking, and that takes up time especially when I'm a full-time student, mom, and wife along with volunteering! I feel smaller. Can't wait to weigh in 3 weeks!
What are your staples at this point and time? I am excited for you!
Do you visit nom-non blog?
Old 03-04-2013, 09:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayellr View Post
I did a whole 30 last summer. It was great, and I felt very healthy during it, so I plan to do another round once the weather warms up.

It was difficult in some ways though. There are virtually NO processed foods you can eat. Even though I eat pretty clean normally it was amazing to discover how many things contain banned ingredients. Standard seasonings I use like soy sauce, curry paste and sriracha (sugar!) were out, and I'd find myself flailing while cooking.

This time to make it simpler I'm going to set up a rotating meal plan of 4 or 5 main dishes ahead of time that I know work. I highly recommend planning ahead for a Whole 30 and reading every single label.

Sugar (and most every other nasty) seems to be in EVERYTHING. It often seemed that if it had a label it was out.
I agree, sugar is everywhere. One has to be super careful
Old 03-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Renee View Post
What are your staples at this point and time? I am excited for you!
Do you visit nom-non blog?
Hello! Yes, I've visited the nom-nom site plus a lot of others like it.

I eat meat, fish, fats (coconut oil, avocado, olive oil), veggies, fruit, and sweet potatoes. I like coconut milk whipped with coconut oil in my morning cup of coffee. I basically eat foods that contain one ingredient each. Lol!
Old 03-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #20

Quote:

I eat meat, fish, fats (coconut oil, avocado, olive oil), veggies, fruit, and sweet potatoes. I like coconut milk whipped with coconut oil in my morning cup of coffee. I basically eat foods that contain one ingredient each. Lol!
I like that. One ingredient each.

I looked at my calendar and have a wedding early April. I am not sure how to manage a perfect wine free 30 days but the food part is not as difficult.We travel a couple of times this month. Thinking of just starting as close to the plan as possible when we get back end of the month.

Any tips Julie?

Old 03-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Hm. Wine free?? Maybe sparkling water with lemon or lime? Lol! Google the whole30 and you can find the website with tons of info and support. I just dove into it! I really miss dairy, tho. Lol!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #22

Quote:
Hm. Wine free?? Maybe sparkling water with lemon or lime? Lol! Google the whole30 and you can find the website with tons of info and support. I just dove into it! I really miss dairy, tho. Lol!
I am reading a lot and getting a menu worked out. I am going to start March 25th I think. I get back that day from camping. I do have a wedding but I may just be the designated driver and have to not worry about the wine!
Old 03-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #23

Quote:

I just tried the coconut milk and oil. Nice
I didn't whip it but next cup I will try it. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #24

Anyone else starting soon? I start Monday after a Food and Wine festival!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Stevie Renee, I will still be doing it...going to continue and do a Whole60, so I will be doing it right along beside you! Btw, I found ghee at my local co-op, but I also know it's something you can make. Supposedly not too difficult to do. Just google it!
Old 03-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #26

Oh! Thanks!
A whole 60! Whoot! Good for you!

I was making my coffee this am thinking how attached I am to my Stevia Sweetleaf.
I think I will just pack it up, put in the garage so its out of site, out of mind.

Do you journal or do you usually post here?
Old 03-22-2013, 11:24 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rajenki
Hi all. My name is Becki...I'm starting this in the morning. I just had a food allergy panel run and turns out I'm intolerant to...well...dang near everything. i cried in the doctors office when we reviewed the results. The naturopath suggested paleo minus the eggs for me, so now I'm trying to figure out how to live without cheese and eggs as those have always been staples for me when low carbing. I'm committed to getting through 60 days...and hope someday eggs and cheese can be part of my life again. Most importantly I just want to feel good again...
rajenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:27 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Rajenki! Welcome! It's a little tough at first to make the change, but you can do it!!
Old 03-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rajenki
Thanks Juliekaboolie...hey...I know Bellingham well. I'm from Mount Vernon and went to WWU. I live in tacoma currently.
rajenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Hey rajenki!!!

I'm currently a student at WWU! Cool!!!