Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dipgal
Stats: 269.5/241.8/150
WOE: LC and IF (5:2 or 4:3)
Start Date: This time: 8/11/14
The Revised Book: The Perfect Health Diet

Just had the new book downloaded to my Kindle. I heard about it here on the LCF forums. I've had a little success with Low Carbing, very little success with JUDDDing (alternate day diet - feeling too deprived), and am now looking into Paleo - which is the basic template for this book. It seems that Paleo advocates lower carb in the range of 50-100 grams a day for weight loss mode. Although I haven't read the new book yet, the authors advocate white rice, potatoes and something called taro.. They have research to back it up supposedly, but seriously - white rice and potatoes??

The idea of Intermittent Fasting still appeals to me - which they also advocate. I am working on building up to that. Their version is an 8 hour eating window and once in a while a 24 hr. fast. Other Primal/Paleo experts also believe in Intermittent Fasting. I know it will be helpful and beneficial in so many ways.. I just need to ease into it. If I do I may go back to incorporate some JUDDD into my plan.

So, any comments and opinions on the carb intake for Paleo? Personally, I have 100 lbs to lose, am sure I have metabolic syndrome, but have not been diagnosed with any particular disease such as pre-diabetes or the real thing.

Looking forward to opinions and thoughts!!

Started a journal on 10/5/13: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...healthier.html

"We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections."
~John Lennon
dipgal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2012, 04:57 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
There are many versions of paleo and people have varying amounts of insulin resistance and hormonal issues.

Personally, I would have to limit those starches to keep my blood sugar lower and weight off, and cravings down. I also am just not active enough to use them up, even though I love them and I do exercise some. That's just my story and may not be yours.

I love the emphasis on natural, organic, unprocessed that paleo offers. Good luck with it!
girondet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
I think limiting carbs to 50g is not unreasonable. I think white potatoes and white rice are not the best nutritionally. I'd choose a sweet potato over the others if I'm eating a starch for its nutrient levels. Also, lifting weights will help sensitize your body to insulin and make weight Loss a little easier. Best wishes!
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
I'm taking a JUDDD break and learning a lot about the Perfect Health Diet, Judy! I will definitely check back in with some more thoughts when I have a moment.
mttemple4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dipgal
Stats: 269.5/241.8/150
WOE: LC and IF (5:2 or 4:3)
Start Date: This time: 8/11/14
Great ttemple4.. can't get my head around the rice and carbs!! Need to get to the gym for weight lifting.. Maybe that will make a difference!
dipgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: azger
Stats: 212/185/175
WOE: Organic Whole foods
Start Date: May 30, 2008
I made the switch to Paleo from low carb and added in some fruit and some carbs with no issues and i'm still losing weight. In fact i'm now less then 10 pounds from my goal.

The diffrent plans are the same in most ways (no corn, flour, sugar, bad fats and beans) but some allow startch and dairy and some don't. The best thing you can do is experament do somthign like the whole 30 (which is an elimination deit) then add things back in and see how you react. You may find that 1-2 potatos a day dosn't effect you in any way or that dairy does.
azger is offline   Reply With Quote