Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
How did you give up cheese?

I have been lc'ing for a few months now. I was "overweight" when I started and lost 10 pounds that have stayed off.
As a result of visiting lc friends I noticed and lurked around the paleo forum. I confess to be really intrigued by this diet. It just makes so much sense to eat the way our bodies were designed to eat.
In many ways my diet is pretty paleo. I eat alot of veggies, nuts, berries, eggs, fish, and meat and avoid all processed foods.
The big non paleo part of my diet is cheese. I love it. I top off many of the dishes I cook with melted cheese, and i will just eat a chunk for a snack.
The other dairy culprit is sour cream. I sweeten it up with a little torani sf vanilla and eat it like ice cream, or dip my strawberries in it for a heavenly satiating treat.
I would like to give paleo a try, but I need to find satisfying replacements for my cheese if I am to be successful.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dipgal
Stats: 269.5/241.8/150
WOE: Whatever I feel like that day....
Start Date: This time: 8/11/14
Subscribing to read the advice! I don't do yogurt or milk anymore but also love cheese and sour cream! And hwc in my coffee now too!
dipgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
I just stop buying it. If it's here I'll probably eat it. especially cheese curds! love those gouda curds. I don't miss it all that much if it's just not here though
Jennyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
I just concentrated on the foods I had decided to eat. The spirit of experimentation carried me through the early weeks, along with great weight loss of the last 10-12 stubborn lbs. It actually took a few months though and I won't say it was easy and that I didn't miss dairy.
I had trouble with feeling kind of depressed at first.

All my lab work improved even more than it had with low carb in general, including a lab test called C-reactive protein, which measures inflammation in the body. I have some autoimmune antibodies that have lowered since I let go of gluten and dairy, so this is definitely a way of eating I need to stay with. I feel better, have more energy and less joint pain. It is worth experimenting with, in my opinion.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
Substitutes for cheese? I did find a dairy free, gluten free pizza that had a cheese substitute that was fine with me. I added meat and tomatoes. It may have had soy in it though. Plus, the crust was made with rice or some other grain. I wouldn't consume this often. It isn't paleo, really.

There just isn't a sub for cheese. Coconut milk is ok for me in my coffee. Coffee isn't paleo either, lol. I'm still working toward 100%.
girondet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Well, some people do "primal" which is essentially paleo plus some dairy. So maybe you can say you are primal instead? Although the Sugar-free syrup is probably less primal/paleo than cheese. Not judging, I just bought some myself yesterday!
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
LOL, I don't worry about being a purist at the woe business.
I ate the government recommended high carb, low fat diet for nearly 20 years...before that it was typical american convenience food.
Transitioning to healthy eating is going to take time, but I'm patient.
I never thought I would be able to give up bread, but after a month or so, i didn't miss it all.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
i bought a container of sour cream a week ago.

i have not yet touched it. i think it is 1 gr per oz. in that case it is 8 grams for the the 8 oz container. i like it just as it is. the temptation is always to devour the whole container. i might try some this evening. if i have the urge to have more than 1 oz, OUT IT GOES!!! I am more paleo than i used to be, but not quite as paleo as most of you. I do not know if i shall give up diet soda, and some lc substitution foods, but i have cut the portions of everything. I believe PALEO is extremely effective and healthy. but it is something I must approach VERY GRADUALLY. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
Oh, I really, really love all things dairy!! The Primal Blueprint is part of the Paleo template, if you will, and allows dairy for those who can tolerate it without any reaction/inflammation. I found that dairy causes me to retain water, so I just stopped eating it/drinking it. I miss coffee with cream, but I have gone cold turkey. My husband (who is fit and thin) gave up dairy with me for about a month and didn't notice any difference other than he just ate less. He now eats cheese again. Maybe experiment with it?? See how you feel off it for 30 days and then add it back in and see how you feel again?? Best wishes to you!!

**My goal has changed from mere weight loss to health, quality of life, and longevity. This is no longer a diet but a way of life.**

"NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP!"~Winston Churchill
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: azger
Stats: 212/185/175
WOE: Organic Whole foods
Start Date: May 30, 2008
I didn't give it up completley, I do try and limit it but never droped it completely. I usually aske my self do I really need this cheese? if it's a yes, I eat it, if it's a meh I can live without right now, I skip it.
azger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Nicole T
Stats: 193/189/170
WOE: hCG/Paleo
Start Date: 10/7/13
I mostly gave it up but when I want it, I use a REALLY high quality, sharp cheese (super sharp cheddar, blue or a good quality parmesan) and just use a little on top of my food instead of cooking it in it. A little here and there doesn't bother my tummy--it's when I'm eating dairy all over the place that my body revolts lol
Nicole T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #12
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Cold Turkey. It is the only way.

Cheese - specifically cheddar & the sharper the better - is a favorite food of mine. There is no substitute. I just walk by at the grocery store. If I don't bring it home I can't eat it. I always eat too much when it is around anyway.

I also tend to blow my nose a lot when I consume dairy & it tends to coat my throat so that I need to clear it. I am confident I am better off not eating cheese (though I will probably allow myself some when out) or any dairy. My research says humans were not meant to be eating it past infancy.

If you don't want to give it up completely I highly suggest getting only organic cheese - or better yet, locally made unhomogenized/unpasteurized cheese. "For pets only" is how it is sold.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote