Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Paleolithic & Neanderthin (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/)
-   -   I know its early.. Anyone Up for a 30 day challenge? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/789795-i-know-its-early-anyone-up-30-day-challenge.html)

QueenBacon 11-21-2012 02:33 PM

I know its early.. Anyone Up for a 30 day challenge?

Starting Jan 1st?
I can't wait! I dare not try to do this during the holidays... New Year! New Me!!!!!

kellydawne 11-26-2012 04:57 PM

I'm in. Not sure how strict I'll choose to be. I did whole 30 last January because I felt so bad after the holidays. I came through Thanksgiving only up one pound and not feeling like garbage. (I was picky about what I ate, but still had holiday favorites)

labmini 12-10-2012 02:07 PM

I am in as well. Did a whole 30 back in Sept and it was hard and great all at the same time. I am ready for January, and not only for the whole 30, but what comes after it. The slllloooooww reintroduction of foods, that's where things went crazy for me. I went completely off the reservation in October.

Glad to have this support when starting in January

Can't wait

dipgal 12-11-2012 04:23 PM

Does it have to be Whole30, or just a Paleo template? I really don't think I can give up a glass of wine once in awhile, and it will take me some time to get myself off dairy. I don't drink milk, but I do like cream in my coffee and cheese and sour cream occasionally. I'd love to do a Paleo challenge!!

girondet 12-12-2012 06:02 AM

I'm going to try. Coffee, chocolate and wine will be my biggest challenges. I already know it's going to be a stressful month too, but don't see a better time in immediate sight either...so....yeah, I'm going to do it for 30 days in January and see where that takes me.

juliekaboolie 12-13-2012 10:05 PM

If I didn't have to give up my 1 oz of cream in my coffee and square of dark chocolate, I would do it! Lol!

dipgal 12-14-2012 08:35 AM

I WILL give up dairy for the month. I CAN kick my cheese/sour cream/cream in my coffee habit!

I think I am going to try using Coconut oil and almond milk in my coffee to give it the fat and creamy consistency I like. (I use either half and half or HWC now). I WILL find substitutes for my cheese snacks.

I need some sweetness in my coffee, so will bend the rules and use some high quality stevia drops - not overly processed Truvia.

Now, just need to get all the sweet junk food we have been receiving as gifts out of here.. And, I don't mean I plan on eating them between now and January 1st. I have to tell DH to hide them!

CalicoGal 12-14-2012 06:25 PM

Sounds Good

I have been wanting to try that for awhile. I just have to convince the hubby that for 30days (ours might be a little longer then a month as we wont get back from vacation until the 4th) we are going to cut out all the junk. I am really excited about trying this and getting slim for the summer for once!

dipgal 12-20-2012 04:36 PM

Just revisiting this

It's been awhile since anyone has posted on this thread, but I just had a breakthrough... I was just looking over the Whole30 shopping list and I want to go all in! I originally didn't think I could do it without some dairy and wine.. but I CAN, and I am going to go for it! I'll use the week from 12/26-1/1 to wean myself off of these nasties and be all in from 1/2 through 2/5. I am leaving on a winter vacation to Cancun, Mexico on 2/6 and I can't think of any better way to lead up to it than this!

I believe it will be a good idea to limit my calories to 1400ish so that I don't overdo my fats, and keep an eye on my fat/protein/carb ratios. And, I'll do some form of exercise most days of each week.

I wonder why some of the best low carb fruits are limited... strawberries, blueberries to be exact. Bananas are okay?? I haven't read the book.. but am curious!

EnuffaMyButt 12-26-2012 05:37 PM

I'm in and I look forward to this. I actually started today so, I hope that's ok. I'm up for suggestions and advice and hope to offer the same in return. I'm being driven by a health diagnosis. I can tell you the only thing I'm not giving up is my morning coffee blended with coconut oil. If this knocks me out let me know. Otherwise, I'm excited to chat with you all. Feel free to friend me.
My workout routines will be hula hooping, yoga, skiing and snow shoeing. What's everyone else planning for workouts, if anything?

kellydawne 12-27-2012 01:28 PM

I decided I'm all in for a whole 30 (thought I might leave a little wiggle room for dairy/wine depending on how I felt after the holidays) I'm starting Jan 2nd.

I feel so much better when I eat better and its worth it to get rid of the slowly creeping bad habits.

Judy- the whole 30 plan doesn't limit fruits. The only "warning" is not to let fruit replace your veggies and don't feed your sugar cravings with fruit but face them and work through them. (they call it your "sugar dragon")

Is anyone planning to post menus as we go?

mamasooze 12-27-2012 05:46 PM

Cheering y'all on

Won't be doing a Whole30 here :cry: but will be scaling us back from "holiday" to "reality". We generally follow 80/20 like *** which gives us wiggle room with the chocolate and red wine. But as holiday hosts to kids who still have definite ideas about their holiday menus, I appease them and feed DH and myself another menu. But some times caught up in some things like a tamale or two and a spinach artichoke spread with both cheese and sour cream. Oh well, it's over and we are back in the saddle again. Tonight we have lamb meatballs with a marinara sauce and a huge Greek salad. No dessert, but had a glass of fine Irish whiskey and water.

Will be bypassing the cheese case at the store as well as the dairy case. Not that hard. Concentrate now on buying good meat and lots of locally grown leafy greens :yummy: toss in a banana and a few dates....we should be ok.

Meek75 12-27-2012 08:37 PM

I would like to join this challenge. I'm actually transitioning to Paleo now... gave up coffee w/cream a few weeks ago drinking only tea and water. Had some hard cheese today for the first time in months - no big deal!

We can do this!!

dipgal 12-28-2012 08:44 AM

I'd say anyone is welcome with their version of the challenge.. And, yes, we can certainly post our menus if we feel like it. I always like to see what others are doing.. Gives me ideas.

Speck333 12-28-2012 11:39 AM

Marking my spot.

QueenBacon 12-28-2012 09:13 PM

I'm in for the whole30 also... can'twait to start!

TuscanGirl 12-28-2012 10:11 PM

I'm in . . . I hope!

:eek:

mamasooze 12-29-2012 09:57 AM

My challenge

Will be watching everyone...:clap: while I've committed us to a "pantry challenge". I want to clean out my pantry and freezer so I can get ready for my big Lenten SNAP (AKA food stamp) challenge we do every year. That's where we live on tight, tight food budget but its also a good time to reassess our dietary commitment to good health. Do I buy that $10 hunk of yummy cheese that will last a day or do I buy that lovely bone-in roast that will last 2 days (at least 6 meals) and give me 2 quarts of bone broth for veggie soup? Decisions, decisions :hyst: OR, am I serious about fresh produce? Yes, I am. I support a local family farm that has cheap seasonal produce. I got a 4 lb head of cauliflower for 1.49 and a shopping bag full of kale for 99 cents just yesterday. Rutabagas 49 cents a lb (making hash browns) and 79 cents for a fennel to flavor my pot roast.

Come to think of it, I guess I am doing a 30 day :doh:

DiamondDeb 12-29-2012 01:21 PM

I'm already doing something close to Paleo with just a few exceptions.

I am just not willing to give up coffee, herbal tea or stevia. Been there, done that. There were no noticeable benefits for me.

TuscanGirl 12-29-2012 02:20 PM

mamasooze - make kale chips!!! :yummy:

junebug 12-29-2012 03:11 PM

I am in! I want to transition from Atkins to Paleo anyways...I eat far too much cheese and diet soda, so this will force me to kick the habit! I will start Jan 1st with the rest of you...that gives me 2 days to polish of the cheese and champagne in the fridge! lol

mamasooze 12-29-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junebug (Post 16159010)
I am in! I want to transition from Atkins to Paleo anyways...I eat far too much cheese and diet soda, so this will force me to kick the habit! I will start Jan 1st with the rest of you...that gives me 2 days to polish of the cheese and champagne in the fridge! lol

I love you very much. May I come over and help you with that?

DiamondDeb 12-29-2012 06:56 PM

lol...

mamasooze 12-29-2012 08:09 PM

I guess I'm in, but can't promise I won't "cheat". Steal away a bit of bittersweet choco from time to time and I do love my 'tini at least once, ok, twice a week. I can go without the coffee and cheese.....have done that before for months. A tip: big old mugs of hot tea do a wonder for the cravings **my fave is chai or orange- and you can have all you want!!!***

Our food will be 90% whole as I do have a few things that I can't give up or can't make as well as original:
1.) Kens Buttermilk dressing (just the best- have tried many homemade and none as good- or cheap)
2.) Hellman's Canola mayo- hooked on taste/convenience/cost- and a jar lasts for months
3.) Bagged salads- convenience (mostly buy on sale)
4.) Frozen foods (at Kroger $1 a bag) such as onions, bell peppers, okra, cauliflower, etc. to have on hand for a variety of recipes (gumbo, veggie soups, casseroles)
5.) Canned food such as green chiles (Hatch or Old El Paso brand), Ro-Tel tomatoes, Mexican hominy, jarred Heart Smart Prego pasta sauce (low in sugar and high in taste) and dried foods like chiles and dates.
6.) sometimes use the Dreamfields pasta when DH gets an itch for pasta (psst- sometimes I use the wheat-free stuff and he hasn't noticed)
7.) will be looking for grain-free breakfast bars to replace oat bars for hubby's breakfasts on the run

Getting low on stevia and looking forward to just a bit o honey in my tea :yummy: Also getting excited that my schedule will allow me to WALK at least two miles a day, four days a week. Praise God!!!

mamasooze 12-29-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TuscanGirl (Post 16158914)
mamasooze - make kale chips!!! :yummy:

Funny you would say that. I DID!! A little salt, olive oil and sesame seeds. Boom. Fighting DH for the healthy stuff.

Put the oven mitts down and put your hands up. Back away from the oven. Them's mah chips, mista!!!

:laugh:

junebug 12-29-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamasooze (Post 16159283)
I love you very much. May I come over and help you with that?

Come on over! lol! :laugh:

TuscanGirl 12-29-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamasooze (Post 16159426)
Funny you would say that. I DID!! A little salt, olive oil and sesame seeds. Boom. Fighting DH for the healthy stuff.

Put the oven mitts down and put your hands up. Back away from the oven. Them's mah chips, mista!!!

:laugh:

:hyst:

Quote:

Originally Posted by junebug (Post 16159434)
Come on over! lol! :laugh:

I'll help too! :hiya:

kellydawne 12-30-2012 04:21 PM

I'd be happy to help with the bubbly and cheese too...

I bought "nacho cheese kale chips" at Trader Joes a couple of weeks ago. The ingredients were actually whole 30 compliant and they were tasty. They were kinda pricey though, so I would much rather just make my own.

(and my morning coffee is staying too, but I learned to drink it with just a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg during my first whole 30 and I drink it that way or black most of the time now anyway)

TuscanGirl 12-30-2012 06:27 PM

I tried making my own kale chips, but they just weren't as good!

i usually buy Rhythm Superfoods Kale Chips from here or at the store - but they're really expensive!

Recipes please!!

DiamondDeb 12-30-2012 08:32 PM

I never heard of kale chips before. I'm not even sure if I've ever had kale! :dunno: