Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #181
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: junebug
Stats: CW 155 / GW 110
WOE: Atkins72/Stillmans
Start Date: June 2011
Hi everyone! Checking back in, all is well here - have had a few stumbles in the cheese department (at least is was brie and not kraft singles??? lol) but otherwise I have been sticking to it. I have been eating so many eggs...daily for breakfast and sometimes again at dinner. Its just want is sounding good to me these days...maybe at the end of the the 30 days I will dive into a meat and egg fast, lol. Have a great week, keep up the good work!
junebug is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: junebug
Stats: CW 155 / GW 110
WOE: Atkins72/Stillmans
Start Date: June 2011
And welcome Labmini!
junebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:14 AM   #183
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kellydawne
Just checking in. Its getting easier. (Yeah!)

Speck, I have to agree with the phooey on nothing other than water thought too. I think a more paleo or primal WOE is great, it obviously doesn't need to be a whole 30. That's where I'll go at the end of my whole 30. I did my first whole 30 last year in January and it was a good way to re-establish good habits and clean the holiday junk out of my system. This is my second one and my reasons are the same. This one has been easier because I didn't slip all the way back to bad habits in between and I went easy on holiday treats this year.

Deb, I gave up coffee for lent one year and my family asked that I NEVER do that again. LOL. Anyway, I felt like it was a huge accomplishment to learn to drink it black.
Sounds like you are doing great! Good luck with your friend's visit. Its hard when your routine changes.

labmini, good for you catching the sugar on the label quickly.

junebug, yummy brie! That was the hard thing to turn down at our friend's house for dinner over the weekend.

How is everyone else doing? Pop in and let us know.
kellydawne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #184
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
Good morning! I'm here!! Been super busy with school. Anyway, I learned about 6 months ago that eating too low carb caused me to have heart palpitations, so I increased my carbs and my weight shockingly dropped 7 lbs after an 18 month stall! I've been 'cheating a bit lately with some brown rice crackers and brown rice rice cakes along with trader joes sunflower seed butter since I'm allergic to almond butter. That needs to completely stop! Lol! Of course, after this morning since I had a rice cake with sunflower seed butter along with a banana, and coffee with cream for a pre-workout breakfast. Still maintaining my lowest weight, tho. Yay!

**My goal has changed from mere weight loss to health, quality of life, and longevity. This is no longer a diet but a way of life.**

"NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP!"~Winston Churchill
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #185
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Kellydawne, I have you beat - I gave up coffee for a full year. Not even a cup of decaf. lol... Coffee being called evil & all that by so many, I figured I would see how much better life was without it.

During that year I noticed NO benefits to going without coffee. None. I finally researched again & found all sorts of articles about the benefits of coffee. I added it back in & never looked back.

Coffee is probably the most highly debated item for Paleo. From my research, I get the distinct feeling when reading articles that it is allowed because the person creating the program does not want to give up coffee. The word "moderation" is used a lot.

I learned a few facts about coffee that I did not know.

This is from Living Paleo:

Quote:
...coffee beans are not true beans (or legumes) and are only labeled as such because of their resemblance to true beans, the distinction is not that they are seeds and therefore not legumes. Legumes too are seeds contained inside legume fruit (typically referred to as a pod). The key difference is that coffee berries are not pods and so-called coffee beans are the endocarp or “pit” of the fruit.

Now, in spite of this coffee has all the same properties that that land legumes on the “No” list. They too (like most fruit seeds) must be cooked to be edible and also contain antinutrients (phytic acid, lectins, and enzyme inhibitors).
They only beverage that is truly Paleolithic is water (free of chlorine or fluoride).

This is all just for informational purposes. Many people who embark on a Paleolithic diet choose to consume coffee moderately. It is a matter of personal preference.
Thank goodness I don't drink tap water!

A while back I read an article that talked about how some people following Paleo nutrition take it a bit too far. They eliminate foods that do not fit perfectly into the Paleo guidelines even when there is no real health reason to avoid them.

Others are less strict and allow foods that are not quite Paleo but still considered healthy. I think most of us would fall in this camp.

The more I read the more conflicting information & controversy I find. It makes me very happy I am not trying to follow a Paleo nutrition plan by the book.

It seems one of the ways to determine if something is Paleo is by whether or not it can be safely consumed raw. Supposedly legumes can't be eaten raw? Peanuts can be & I really think some other legumes can be, too. I'm not sure I believe this suggestion at all though in theory it seems good.

I really don't understand the whole "legumes are bad" thing but supposedly they contain anti-nutrients. I've also read articles claiming nuts (on the good list) contain similar things and that much of the reasoning behind several things on the "NO" list is flawed.

I don't really eat other legumes but I'm not going to give up my Smucker's peanut butter!

On the other hand, there are many foods allowed on Paleo that I am not going to be eating. Not now and maybe not ever. Just because they are listed as good does not mean they are good for me.

I think most of us do plenty of nutritional research & make sound decisions for ourselves based on what we learn and what we already know about ourselves.

But I still say coffee is not Paleo.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:44 AM   #186
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kellydawne
Deb, I think you are right, a lot of people go into this whole it wouldn't have been eaten in the paleo era therefore its not paleo so I won't eat it. For me, this is all about being healthy and I'm pretty sure the herbal tea that I drink and my morning coffee fit in there nicely. I have some digestive issues (similar to GERD, but not exactly GERD) that I'm able to avoid eating this way. For me, most beans are an issue and they will cause a flare up. I don't really like them that much so skipping legumes is a no brainer. I don't seem to have the same issue with green beans or sugar snap peas so those get to stay on my plate. (as far as the nut butters, they are all too yummy and easy for me to overdo so until I lose some weight, they can be an ingredient in a meal but not something I'll let myself snack on)

You are right about tap water though, definitely not paleo with all of the things that have been added.

Julie, jump back in with us. I found out a long time ago I do better with a little higher carb count too as long as I'm not having adult beverages very often anyway. Good for you maintaining your lowest weight!
kellydawne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #187
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Hi everyone. I'm going just fine.

This whole "is it paleo" thing can go too far, I think. That's probably why I lean toward Primal Blueprint. Mark Sisson is so reasonable and well-researched when he discusses "is it Primal" for different foods and things on his blog. I think human beings have been flavoring their water with herbs and fruits for tens of thousands of years, and being an anthropologist, I can't think of any human culture that drinks only plain water.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:12 AM   #188
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: labmini
Stats: 197.5/178/150
WOE: Keeping it real, clean and low carb
Start Date: 7/1/12
Hi everyone - hope things are going well for all. I have a quick question for the group. Other than nuts what fat sources do you use to increase satiety? I am having a little difficulty with that and am eating too many nuts as my goal is weightless right now. If anyone has any thoughts I would love to hear them.

Have a great weekend all!
labmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #189
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by labmini View Post
Hi everyone - hope things are going well for all. I have a quick question for the group. Other than nuts what fat sources do you use to increase satiety? I am having a little difficulty with that and am eating too many nuts as my goal is weightless right now. If anyone has any thoughts I would love to hear them.

Have a great weekend all!
I do eat dairy, so a lot of my fat comes from cream, butter, sour cream and cheese. But I think most of it comes from mayonnaise, either as-is, or in sauce form (ranch, etc.).
Old 01-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #190

Happy Saturday!

Labmini, I cook with coconut oil & make sure I am getting plenty of both fat & protein at meals. If I am feeling extra hungry I'll add extra coconut oil to the pan. I do my best to make sure I have good portions of LC veggies like broccoli at meals, too. When I have fat, protein and veggies together it keeps me satisfied for quite a while.

I'm still doing well. I bought some fresh guacamole at the farmers market today. I had some on broccoli this evening & it sure is hot! lol... I think I will try it on chicken breast.

I have a bunch of flax meal, almond meal & coconut flour sitting around & I need to try a few recipes. I was going to make a pancake/waffle (have no waffle pan) but I am not sure what to put on them - if anything? No sugars or syrups. Maybe just sprinkle some cinnamon?
Old 01-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #191
Blabbermouth!!!

No dairy Deb? Try putting coconut cream, whipped or not, and fresh berries on your pancakes
Old 01-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
No dairy Deb? Try putting coconut cream, whipped or not, and fresh berries on your pancakes
No dairy, no fruit. I have coconut milk but not cream. I'm not sure I've even seen it in stores.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #193
Blabbermouth!!!

I got a can at Trader Joes. I've seen it at the regular grocery store too. Good stuff
Old 01-27-2013, 07:09 AM   #194
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
try almond butter with a sprinkle of cinnamon
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #195
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: labmini
Stats: 197.5/178/150
WOE: Keeping it real, clean and low carb
Start Date: 7/1/12
Thanks so much for all the ideas on added fat.

I am going to be whipping up some coconut milk for whipped cream this week to try it out
labmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #196

THREE DAYS to go!

Or will that make it 31 days?

I'm in the process of tricking myself into cooking with more variety. (Do not tell me or it won't work! )

I made chicken breast & topped it with guacamole tonight. It was good. I had broccoli (cooked in same pan w/virgin coconut oil) as a side. Very simple & filling.

I'm going to make some new dishes to help get more - and a greater variety of - veggies. I used to skip the veggies and just eat protein because it was too much bother to cook veggies and I've been doing good this month making sure I get some in every day.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:40 AM   #197
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
veggies help me lose weight! I have been trying so many new things, kale, mustardgreens, boc choy, all differentcabbages, raw sauerkraut... it'sgreat! it's almost over too..
I'm debating going for another 30 days cause I feel great!
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #198

Veggies make a difference for me, too, Kerry. It is one reason I'm working to add more of them.

Does anyone have some LC substitutions for lentils? I'm mostly thinking of things that could be used as substitutes in soups.

I'm also looking for a carrot substitute for a soup. All the veggies in it go in a blender so I think pumpkin might work. I can't think of anything else.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #199
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Hi,
I've been doing Primal for about a month, its very close to my diet anyway. Giving me more options. I'm just finishing the book, really enjoyed it.
Why the 30 day challenge? Is that to ease you into Primal? Or are you looking at it as temporary? I try to figure this stuff out at his site, but its hard to find answers.
Anyway, nice to meet you.
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #200
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fish
Stats: 299/259/225
WOE: modified paleo
Start Date: 05/01/13
Just came off of a whole 30, but for 90 days. Off for a week, and back on tomorrow,
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #201
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So, I guess its not a permanent change for you? I would think you'd feel lousy going "off"??
Old 11-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #202
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: brista
DebbyL, you should look up the Whole30 challenge. Basically it is very strict paleo in which you avoid a lot of possibly-irritating foods/additives for 30 days to give your body a chance to heal. Then after 30 days, you can slowly add back things to see what bothers you -- for instance, after 30 days with no dairy, you could try a little and see if your body has a bad reaction or if it's cool with dairy. If you go from strict Whole30 paleo for 30 days, then jump back into Pizza Hut and Taco Bell, then yeah you will definitely feel lousy. But most people use it to figure out what foods bother them or as a "detox" of sorts -- when you're in the habit of eating healthy food for 30 days in a row, then you'll probably want to keep that up.
brista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #203
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks,
I was just wondering about it. Have been eating clean for a year & a half. Now on Primal for the last 2-3 months. Have no desire to add anything. Although I do eat GY once in a while, but it breaks out my rosecea. Thanks though!
Old 02-20-2014, 06:32 AM   #204
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sicca
Stats: 170/135/135
WOE: Atkins with a bit of Paleo
Start Date: March 2012
I'm considering a 30 day challenge for March, like a Whole30 but not having to buy into their program. Is there a thread started for this somewhere - does anyone want to join?
Sicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:57 AM   #205
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jennc
Stats: 215/176/135
WOE: primal/paleo
Start Date: Febuary 2014
whole 30

hi! i was also planning on doing a whole 30 starting march 1st! im very new to the low carb thing. started just last week following the primal approach. so right now i actually feel like junk from carb withdrawl possibly? i want to try a whole 30 because im always so tired..i have bad skin and im always sick. no to mention i need to lose a few!
jennc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:27 AM   #206
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sicca
Stats: 170/135/135
WOE: Atkins with a bit of Paleo
Start Date: March 2012
Well I'm pretty certain I'm going for it!! A Paleo March!!! I need to get off all these artificial sweeteners and wayyyyyy too much cheese. Looking forward to eating REAL food, it's going to be hard, especially without coffee, but I can do it. It's just 30 days.
Sicca is offline   Reply With Quote