Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #121
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kellydawne
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
Speck & MK - could you need more fat or protein? You should not be hungry!
I agree with Deb on this one, eating more fat always helps me...
If you are hungry, you need to eat. I am always more hungry the first few days of getting junk out of my system AND eating too much fruit makes me hungry too.

My meals/exercise today
B-coffee, eggs w/ chorizo
Yoga (somehow my heart rate was even up like it was very mild cardio, not sure how that managed to happen but there was a lot of "flow" today)
L-HUGE salad with home made mayo based mexican dressing (I don't measure sorry, but it was mayo, the juice left from my container of salsa fresca, salt, chipotle pepper powder) and a burger with chopped onions in the patty topped w/ mayo & mustard (that's a lot of yummy fat from all of that home made mayo!)
S-sparkling water w/ frozen berries, and an apple
D-choc. chili
kellydawne is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #122
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Hi!

I'm sure I need more fat.
DH called and we went out to dinner - I had a salmon pattie with jalapeno mayo, lettuce, tomato, onion.

I'll try to eat more tomorrow!!
TuscanGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #123
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
MK, eating lots of LC veggies helps, too.

Take extra veggies to work for lunch - if you don't need them you don't have to eat them but they sure come in handy when you're hungry!

I make stirfry a lot, too. I cook pretty simply & adding lots of veggies to my chicken or beef fills me up.

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 01-08-2013 at 06:03 PM..
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscanGirl View Post
Hi!

I'm sure I need more fat.
DH called and we went out to dinner - I had a salmon pattie with jalapeno mayo, lettuce, tomato, onion.

I'll try to eat more tomorrow!!
That sounds really good but next time get a salad with it or veggies!
Old 01-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #125
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Quote:
Speck & MK - could you need more fat or protein? You should not be hungry!
Honestly, I don't think I'm in ketosis yet. But I did think of that and I had a slice of high fat cheese and a very creamy iced coffee and that did the trick. I'm also dealing with those hormones right now, and they either make me want to eat or shop... this month it's eat.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #126
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Speck, on the whole 30 website (its whole 9 life) in their forums there is a topic about dealing with those hormones. They suggest eating more starchy veggies and feel that it helps with both increased cravings and hunger. It does seem to help me to add maybe some sweet potato fries or half of a baked sweet potato w/ ghee or coconut oil, or maybe something like butternut squash. They advise staying away from fruit though because it can make it worse.

I did add a small bowl of frozen blackberries topped with coconut milk last night as one last snack.
I'm doing whole 30, so staying off the scale, but my size 8 jeans fit again (like they did before Christmas) I hope I can keep the momentum going and get back into the 6's (and maybe even some of the 4's.)
Old 01-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #127

I hope everyone is getting enough to eat today!

I'm checking out recipes using coconut flour. I bought a bag & then had no idea what to do with it! There are a few interesting bead & flat-bread recipes!

I discovered flax/almond flour muffins last summer and like them but I have to admit I rarely make them. I seem to be fine without bread-like foods. I sometimes have one with lunch if I'm not having many veggies.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #128
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Even though its not quite dinner time here, I'm going to go ahead and post my food for today. I did go overboard on almonds. I know better than to leave them out where I can just grab a handful which is what happened. I need to remember to buy nuts in the shell too, its really hard to overeat them if you have to crack them.

Deb, I just skip the bread type stuff usually, the last "paleo" bread recipe I tried with coconut flour was gross. I did see a bagel recipe (I don't remember what the flour was) on the fathead movie site a while ago though.

B-coffee (it was a hectic morning and I didn't eat)
walk
S-raw almonds (a couple of handfuls)
L-leftover chili with a applegate farms hotdog
S-more nuts, a small bowl of blackberries w/ coconut milk
D-beef/veggie stir fry with stir fry sauce from the cookbook wellfed. (It might be on her blog too "the clothes make the girl")
Old 01-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #129
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamasooze
Stats: 225/170's/150
WOE: Low carb, wheat-free, mostly paleo
Start Date: AUG 2011
Been watching the carbs but decided to put an eye toward calories this week. Ending first week of Pantry Challenge and did pretty good. Only spent $49 at grocery store for a few staples. Had just one impulse buy-spent $2 on a 1 lb bag of dried New Mexican chiles. I sense enchilada sauce in my future. Made some creamed kale using coconut milk, added a bit of brown rice and cauli rice and topped with mozzarella cheese (the only dairy cheese we use). OMG- not just good but my goodness. Made at least 8 1-cup servings. And that was just using half my bundle of kale

Having to reassess the breakfast scene. For some reason eggs aren't satisfying me at all. Been hungry less than 3 hours later. Last two mornings I made shakes with a tablespoon each of oatmeal, oat bran and flax meal, a scoop of whey protein, 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, 1/2 avocado, 1 cup almond milk, some cacao nibs, stevia. Well, I held for 5 hours plus. Was it the fat, protein or fiber that held me? Hmmmmm. A mystery. I plugged it in for numbers and came out with about 8 net carbs, 350+ calories. Will mix again tomorrow but measure extra careful and see what I can come up with. Very surprising. Will drop the oatmeal tomorrow and try chia seeds instead.

Must be getting ready to go into ketosis. Shedding water weight last 2 days. I dont think I have gone over 30 net carbs in last four days. Hunger gone, but no bad taste in mouth yet Need to dig out the stix. Tonight we have crockpot chicken and the rest of the kale. Looks like everyone is doing good.
mamasooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #130

Kellydawne, thanks for mentioning Well Fed. I found her site (will be reading lots there!) and just downloaded a free Kindle sample of the book to check that out.

I tried making a hamburger bun with a version of the minute muffin once but it did not turn out well either! As long as I eat a good meal with fat, protein & veggies I don't need more.

Mamasooze, good luck with your search for a good breakfast. I almost always have eggs. I used to skip breakfast but decided that was not good at all & it has been eggs ever since.

I need to get up to fix dinner - grassfed beef burgers with a side of veggies. The problem with living alone is that if I don't do things they don't get done!
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
Old 01-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #131
Blabbermouth!!!

Kellydawne, thanks for the suggestion. My system is a hard nut to crack. I did have some purple sweet potato chips and coconut flour dusted onion rings in the last few days

Mamasooze, I just posted a recipe for a breakfast cereal I made. You might like it. I also like protein waffles and pancakes. mmmm made with my freshly cultured buttermilk and cultured butter... ok, that's tomorrow's breakfast.

Diamond Deb, there's a thread in the Recipe's forum for Maria's Sub roll that we turned into smaller rolls or buns. I had one with a hamburger the other day and it was really good.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #132

I just came across a few comments I was not aware of (or, more likely, that I forgot ) in my Googling...

Comparing Paleo & Primal, one difference is supposedly that Paleo is lower fat than Primal.

Vegetable Oils are not Paleo. That made me wonder about Olive Oil. It seems to be allowed. I Googled further & technically, olives are the fruit of the olive tree. I thereby deduce that Olive Oil is a Fruit Oil.

Whatever it is, Olive Oil seems to get an OK, although some seem to feel it is not the best choice, especially compared to Coconut Oil.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #133

Thanks, Speck! I will look for that recipe!
Old 01-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #134
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamasooze
Stats: 225/170's/150
WOE: Low carb, wheat-free, mostly paleo
Start Date: AUG 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
Kellydawne, thanks for the suggestion. My system is a hard nut to crack. I did have some purple sweet potato chips and coconut flour dusted onion rings in the last few days

Mamasooze, I just posted a recipe for a breakfast cereal I made. You might like it. I also like protein waffles and pancakes. mmmm made with my freshly cultured buttermilk and cultured butter... ok, that's tomorrow's breakfast.

Diamond Deb, there's a thread in the Recipe's forum for Maria's Sub roll that we turned into smaller rolls or buns. I had one with a hamburger the other day and it was really good.
I have everything in the recipe and I'm making it tomorrow. Nuts and flax seem to fill me up. Giving it a whirl
mamasooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #135
Blabbermouth!!!

It kept me satisfied for quite a while today.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #136
Princess Proofreader

The bacon wrapped cilantro chicken was a hit and we had roasted broccoli and cauliflower with it.
I'm finally satisfied!!
Old 01-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #137

Quote:
The bacon wrapped cilantro chicken was a hit and we had roasted broccoli and cauliflower with it.
I'm finally satisfied!!

All I needed was a cup of tea after dinner & I could not manage to get up & make it!

Kellydawne, I am really enjoying the eBook sample from Well Fed! I am not sure if any of her recipes are included in the sample but I'm impressed with her thoughts on this lifestyle. I just put the book on my Amazon Wish List. I am tempted to just get the eBook but I think I'll be happier with the regular book version.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #138
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

Kellydawne, I am really enjoying the eBook sample from Well Fed! I am not sure if any of her recipes are included in the sample but I'm impressed with her thoughts on this lifestyle. I just put the book on my Amazon Wish List. I am tempted to just get the eBook but I think I'll be happier with the regular book version.
I have the kindle version, I only use it on my ipad though, I don't like it on my kindle. She suggests variations on recipes and suggests sides/sauces etc. and those suggestions link to the recipe on the ipad. (the links don't work well on the kindle)

(if anyone is an amazon prime member the entire book is available on the lending library but it will only open on your kindle which is how I figured out the links were there but they don't work well on the kindle)

MK, how can you go wrong wrapping anything in bacon. Glad you are finally full.

I'll have to look for the breakfast cereal recipe too, although, I'm really happy with eggs almost every morning and leftovers otherwise.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:22 AM   #139
Princess Proofreader

I had leftovers this morning -

But this has not been a good 30 days.
I may start over again on Monday AFTER I've been to the store and actually have the correct foods in the house. Plus DS20 will be back at school and I won't have any excuses!
Old 01-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #140

Free eBook at the A place!

The Paleo Recipe Cookbook: 101 All Natural Gluten-Free Meals and Desserts (The Paleo Recipe Cookbooks) By Michelle Tracy

I don't know how good it is. A few of the free Paleo eBooks I've gotten have no idea what Paleo is & are filled with foods from the NO! list.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #141
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Deb, thanks for the heads up on the ebook, free is always worth checking into.

MK, I started over after a few days to get in a real clean 30 days. It is hard with college kids at home.

I had a better day with less snacking today. I'm playing with a recipe from an old Atkins cookbook. I'll share tomorrow if it's good.

Today-
B-coffee, eggs, sausage
Walk
L-leftover stir fry with spinach added
S-coffee, sugar snap peas
D-creamed chicken with mushrooms over a bed a spinach
Old 01-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #142

I am just reading the intro to the cookbook now - it sounds like she knows what foods are on the YES list!

The last one I got had dairy in most of the recipes.

Tomorrow will be a wee bit challenging with company coming & Mom cook pasta for dinner. I'm going to take my own food - chicken stir-fry.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #143
Princess Proofreader

Starting again . . . .
Old 01-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #144

Quote:
Starting again . . . .
Old 01-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #145
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

MK-you can do this! Its easier when you are back to somewhat of a routine though, so that will help.

Deb, good luck at dinner tonight.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #146
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: junebug
Stats: HW 180/CW 138/GW 112
WOE: Atkins72/Stillmans
Start Date: June 2011
Hi friends! Sorry I havent posted for a few days I have been slammed at work and pretty busy in the evenings too this week. During the holidays I said, in 2013 I will reclaim my life and not over extend myself...lol...not happening. Anyways, I have been occupied with all good things, so I will take it

So I bought that kale last weekend and OMG, as much as I use, I seem to still have a huge bunch left! I have been steaming some with my eggs every morning, I made the chips, I pureed it with some pesto as a burger topping, and chopped it and put it IN my burger patty meat...and I still have some left! I guess I really got a good dose of vitamin K this week!

Im doing good losing the holiday gain. I had my annual doctors appointment and got a thumbs up! I have had a few slip ups - when I do slip Im trying to remember that 99% of the day I ate clean and healthy, and a bite of cheese or some pretzels does not represent the day as a whole. But for the past 3 days I have been 100% paleo.

New fav lunch: roasted broccoli tossed in olive oil with raisins.

Happy Friday!
junebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #147
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: junebug
Stats: HW 180/CW 138/GW 112
WOE: Atkins72/Stillmans
Start Date: June 2011
MK you can do this! Try to be paleo for two meals, and then after you have that down try for three. I always mess up with SNACKS! Ugh, I loooooove snacks!
junebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #148
Princess Proofreader

Thanks for all the encouragement.

I think I can do it too - it may just have to be AFTER I get DS20 back to college!

I'm still here and still trying!

Lunch out was a spinach salad with steak, nuts, strawberries and apples.
I used a little of the dressing - so baby steps.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #149
Blabbermouth!!!

MK, as long as you're trying to be on plan at least part of the time, it helps keeps gaining at bay at least.

I think, after almost a week, I finally got back into ketosis yesterday. I was much less hungry. I did screw up and eat a handful of popcorn DH made the kids. Habit I guess . Otherwise, yesterday, I lunched on a batch of coconut/almond flour pancakes with my homemade cultured butter and just a bit of sf maple syrup (so good!) and then dinner was steak and salad. Today, I had a leftover piece of salisbury steak, mashed cauliflower and small salad for lunch. Dinner will be late tonight because of DD sports practice, so I'm going to have a snack of a bowl of my toasted almond-coconut crunch cereal. Then dinner will be salmon and creamy cucumbers.
I'm not losing weight just yet, but I think that's due to hormones, but I feel so much better.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #150
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug View Post
Hi friends! Sorry I havent posted for a few days I have been slammed at work and pretty busy in the evenings too this week. During the holidays I said, in 2013 I will reclaim my life and not over extend myself...lol...not happening. Anyways, I have been occupied with all good things, so I will take it

So I bought that kale last weekend and OMG, as much as I use, I seem to still have a huge bunch left! I have been steaming some with my eggs every morning, I made the chips, I pureed it with some pesto as a burger topping, and chopped it and put it IN my burger patty meat...and I still have some left! I guess I really got a good dose of vitamin K this week!

Im doing good losing the holiday gain. I had my annual doctors appointment and got a thumbs up! I have had a few slip ups - when I do slip Im trying to remember that 99% of the day I ate clean and healthy, and a bite of cheese or some pretzels does not represent the day as a whole. But for the past 3 days I have been 100% paleo.

New fav lunch: roasted broccoli tossed in olive oil with raisins.

Happy Friday!