Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: junebug
Stats: CW 155 / GW 110
WOE: Atkins72/Stillmans
Start Date: June 2011
Feeling better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellydawne View Post
Junebug, I would go for hot tea, seltzer water w/ lemon/lime squeezed in or some fresh ground ginger added. (My kids like seltzer water w/ fresh ground ginger and honey when they are sick) Scrambled eggs with just a little salt/pepper might be okay, home made egg drop soup would be good, if you need some carbs, maybe a mashed or baked sweet potato or butternut squash, broth of course is always good. I know we can't add links here, but from "the clothes make the girl" (squish it together and put the internet ending on it) do a search for feed a cold and you'll get some easy recipes and links to other sites with suggestions for what to eat when you don't feel good.
I am FINALLY feeling myself again - that stomach flu going around is a beast!

I never thought to mash up some sweet potato when sick! I did that, and also tried your suggestion for seltzer with ginger and honey and it was so soothing, and, I felt better about what i was eating opposed to crackers. THANK YOU! The ginger drink was actually so good I think I will be making it even when I am well! See, this is why i LOVE this community, always learning new things.

On the subject of kale (a veggie that has gotten quite the spotlight these days!) I just bought a bunch to make kale chips with sea salt tomorrow. I have never made them before, but, I have eaten the ones from trader joes...tasty, but more like kale...flakes? Maybe my bag was crushed or something but these werent really chips. So perhaps my own batch will keep there size. I will report back!
junebug is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #92
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Yum! I love hearing about everyone's ideas!!

I found Kale at the store with the bags of lettuce - I think the tub should be enough to try a few things - Kelly's soup, sautéed and even a few chips!!
TuscanGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #93
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I'm glad you're feeling better, Junebug!

I did not feel hungry enough to make dinner after my late lunch so the kale & chard will have to wait until tomorrow.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #94
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kellydawne
Good morning everyone-

Junebug, glad you are feeling better. The ginger/honey drink is a favorite here when my kids don't feel well, or sometimes just because, & like you said I always feel better about giving them things with better ingredients.

Speck, I know fermented food is supposed to be really healthy, but I just can't make myself like it.
I'm in southern Cal & avacados are in season & really cheap right now which makes me really happy.

Deb, good luck finding junk free sausage. I've only found one brand so far & only our small local market carries it. Our bigger chain grocery store did have their own junk free sausage for a while but they don't have it anymore. (they made it at the store). Maybe ask the manager of the meat department for suggestions too.

MK, enjoy the veggies!

I hope everyone else is hanging in there. I hit the wall yesterday with carb flu type symptoms. I think it was just my body clearing the junk out. No headache or icky feeling so far today, hopefully it will stay that way.
kellydawne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #95
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Quote:
Good morning everyone-

Junebug, glad you are feeling better. The ginger/honey drink is a favorite here when my kids don't feel well, or sometimes just because, & like you said I always feel better about giving them things with better ingredients.

Speck, I know fermented food is supposed to be really healthy, but I just can't make myself like it.
I'm in southern Cal & avacados are in season & really cheap right now which makes me really happy.

Deb, good luck finding junk free sausage. I've only found one brand so far & only our small local market carries it. Our bigger chain grocery store did have their own junk free sausage for a while but they don't have it anymore. (they made it at the store). Maybe ask the manager of the meat department for suggestions too.

MK, enjoy the veggies!

I hope everyone else is hanging in there. I hit the wall yesterday with carb flu type symptoms. I think it was just my body clearing the junk out. No headache or icky feeling so far today, hopefully it will stay that way.
I really like pickled foods like cucumber pickles, pickled carrots, pickled green beans, I even ate a jar of pickled brussels sprouts! Fermenting is just a more natural way of pickling. Granted, sauerkraut isn't everybody's cup of tea but many more people like pickles. I'm going to try fermenting other veggies and let you all know if they are like pickled veggies. I am interested in healing my gut, yes, so I need to do this.
I got an attachment to my Kitchenaid mixer to make sausage for Christmas. I am excited to make my own, junk free, sausage
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #96
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Pickles are one of the few foods that I really really don't like. I'm not sure why, but for whatever reason the "normal" foods that most people like that I can't stand are pickles, relish, and ketchup.
I'm not picky at all, but I just really don't like those three things. I don't even want pickle juice on my burger or whatever when pickles are served on the side.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #97
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
hi guys! I have been mia! so sorry! I'm on day 5 with no cheats! I'm doing the whole30, with no weigh ins til the end..
I gained about ten pounds over Christmas, i be happy just losing that and making exercise a habit...

try eating a banana for an upset stomach.. it works wonders!!!
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dipgal
Stats: 269.5/249.5/150
WOE: LC/Mod Protein/HF
Start Date: This time: 8/11/14
Hi everyone, it sounds like we are doing well!! YAY!!

I also like kale chips, but am usually too lazy to make them. That needs to change! I like zucchini chips, too.

Kellydawne, that soup sounds great!!! You can probably substitute any kind of meat, but just add Italian seasonings..

Regarding the fermented veggies, I too enjoy sauerkraut, pickles, etc. I have been eating some real fermented sauerkraut every morning (versus the kind in vinegar), and plan to make my own. I bought a cabbage and I’ve done it before. Just have to get over the laziness mentioned above!

I don’t think I’ll do the stricter 30 day plan, but here’s what’s going on with me:

I’ve been eating LC /paleo and can happily report that I am back in the groove after several weeks of not exactly paying attention to proper nourishment. Haha, what an understatement – it just sounded better than ‘pigging out’! I plan to weigh myself for the first time in about a month tomorrow, I will change my stats accordingly and will be off and running until the next fork (haha – pun intended) in the road -my all-inclusive vacation to Cancun on Feb. 6th.

Started a journal on 10/5/13: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...healthier.html

"We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections."
~John Lennon
dipgal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #99

I had some of my kale & chard for dinner!

I rarely try new things so this is a big deal! lol...

I was not overly impressed but it was OK. I think kale has a stronger taste than chard & I'm more likely use buy it again than the chard.

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 01-06-2013 at 04:21 PM..
Old 01-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #100
Blabbermouth!!!

I've never had chard, but I've seen the rainbow chard and it's beautiful! Makes me want to eat it.

I turned the cultured cream I inoculated yesterday into cultured butter and buttermilk today. It didn't go as smoothly as I thought it would. But, I am persistent, and I got it done. The butter is really good, I added a smidge of salt, and it has a nice natural tang to it because of the culturing. I added the buttermilk to more regular milk to make thick cultured buttermilk. It was a successful experiment!
Old 01-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #101
Princess Proofreader

Still trying to keep on the straight and narrow!

Exercise class starts again tomorrow and maybe I can get back on a schedule again!
Old 01-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscanGirl View Post

Still trying to keep on the straight and narrow!

Exercise class starts again tomorrow and maybe I can get back on a schedule again!

What class are you taking?

I miss spin at Gold's. I need to use up my pass to the community gym so I can justify renewing my membership at Gold's but I hate the community gym & would rather work out at home. One of the things I need to do this month is start going to the community gym a few times a week.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #103
Princess Proofreader

The website says:

RIP CLASS

Join us for 60 minutes of heart pumping, butt kicking, body forming weight training using weighted barbells. Come get ripped!

It stands for Repetition, Intensity and Performance.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #104
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm still here too...
One more day with our DS19 at home, he's still trying to squeeze in foods/restaurants that he misses. He wanted sushi for lunch. I had sashimi without soy sauce.

Today's menu-
B-coffee w/ unsweetened cocoa powder, chorizo/scrambled eggs, avacado, & salsa fresca
L-sashimi w/wasabi
S-orange, toasted coconut, nuts
D-steak on top of a salad w/ EVOO
Old 01-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Really getting strict today!

Happy Monday Challengers!

Just planned out my meals for the day and am well within carbs and calories - and feeling motivated.. I will drink all my water and if I am hungry I will have a tsp of Coconut Oil and a cup of tea. I WILL be alcohol free. On the menu:

B: coffee with mct oil, stevia and half & half (I'm not giving up all dairy just yet) ; 1 fried egg in butter, "clean" sausage patty, sauerkraut

L: Taco Pie and assorted veggies

D: Chilean Sea Bass and spinach salad

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #106
Blabbermouth!!!

Judy, your day's menu looks great!
I'm working on my second cup of coffee. Then I'll go get ready for the day. I usually do Primal Blueprint inspired exercises as part of my morning routine.40 squats while I brush my teeth, then 10 push ups and 2 mins of planking before I get dressed.
Sometime later I'll have something to eat. I have no idea right now what I'll be in the mood for, but I have lots of low carb foods in the house.
Dinner is paleo orange chicken and cauli-fried rice.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #107

Quote:
The website says:

RIP CLASS

Join us for 60 minutes of heart pumping, butt kicking, body forming weight training using weighted barbells. Come get ripped!

It stands for Repetition, Intensity and Performance.
That sounds like fun! Enjoy!
Old 01-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Hi all! So, my kale chips turned out delish - except for a few spot that got salted too much, but i will deff be making these again...and I liked the burnt parts best!

I have entered a phase where I am sort of bored with my food options, but not really hungery for anything else. So I am eating to get meals out of the way (this is so unlike me lol). I also find myself very thirsty, and drinking more water than ussual. Holding steady at a 4 pound loss...Kerry, like you I would be fine with just losing the holiday gain and maintaining from there.

Good job everyone, keep it up!
Old 01-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #109
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My oldest just left to go to the airport to go back to school. We had lunch out again today trying to squeeze in one more day of authentic Mexican food before going back to cafeteria options.

I would like to drop the holiday gain and maybe 5-10 lbs additionally. We'll see how motivated I am to stay in weight loss mode at the end of the 30 days. I don't have a problem eating this way and I can usually come up with enough variety not to be bored, but I do miss having a glass or two of wine in the evenings and I know that I don't lose if I drink.

Today's food (you'll notice a Mexican theme)
B-coffee, chorizo/eggs, avacado & salsa fresca
L-the inside of 2 tacos de adadaba (I'm sure I spelled that wrong-its a spicy pork roasted on a skewer, DS19 ate my greasy freshly made corn tortillas. The tacos were Tijuana style street tacos which means they are very small)
S-coffee
D-salad w/ Mexican dressing (actually dairy-free fish taco sauce, but it makes a good salad dressing) and a bunless burger w/ onion & mustard.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #110
Princess Proofreader

Kelly - sounds marvelous!!

June - which recipe did you use for your chips?

Speck - how was dinner?

Judy -
Old 01-07-2013, 10:38 PM   #111
Blabbermouth!!!

MK, dinner was disappointing. The chicken was OK, but the cauli-rice was terrible.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:29 AM   #112
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamasooze
Stats: 225/170's/150
WOE: Low carb, wheat-free, mostly paleo
Start Date: AUG 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
MK, dinner was disappointing. The chicken was OK, but the cauli-rice was terrible.
I bulk up my cauli rice with a little brown rice. Made a huge batch the cauli the other day and then put in the cooked rice, was making a stuffed cabbage recipe. Worked well. I try to keep a baggie of brown rice in the freezer for just such occasions. Will drop a half cup in the Shepherds Pie tonight.
mamasooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:43 AM   #113
Princess Proofreader

Morning!

I'm trying Bacon - Wrapped Cilantro Chicken tonight from a Paleo site.
I'll keep you posted!
Old 01-08-2013, 06:51 AM   #114
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Morning-
Its back to our normal routine today. The break from school has been nice, but I'll start to exercise again today.

I think I'm going to put choc. chili in the crockpot from "the clothes make the girl" for dinner tonight. (lots of ethnic food there and in her cookbook if you like spicy and other cuisines you might want to check that out to avoid food boredom)
Old 01-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
June - which recipe did you use for your chips?
I just sprayed them with olive oil Pam spray and sprinked with sea salt. Some parts were a bit too salty so I ate around them. Any tips?

Today I had scrambled eggs and turkey bacon - I know bacon is questionable but I have opted to keep it I wasnt really hungry for lunch so I might just skip. Tonight we are going out for kabobs, YUM! I can have the kabobs and steamed veggies and eat like a queen with out any guilt! HORRAY!
Old 01-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #116
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasooze View Post
I bulk up my cauli rice with a little brown rice. Made a huge batch the cauli the other day and then put in the cooked rice, was making a stuffed cabbage recipe. Worked well. I try to keep a baggie of brown rice in the freezer for just such occasions. Will drop a half cup in the Shepherds Pie tonight.
I'm sure that would make it better, but I can't have the carbs from the rice right now.

Quote:
Morning!

I'm trying Bacon - Wrapped Cilantro Chicken tonight from a Paleo site.
I'll keep you posted!
that sounds sooo good!

Quote:
Morning-
Its back to our normal routine today. The break from school has been nice, but I'll start to exercise again today.

I think I'm going to put choc. chili in the crockpot from "the clothes make the girl" for dinner tonight. (lots of ethnic food there and in her cookbook if you like spicy and other cuisines you might want to check that out to avoid food boredom)
I am going to have to check out that website. I love "ethnic" food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug View Post
I just sprayed them with olive oil Pam spray and sprinked with sea salt. Some parts were a bit too salty so I ate around them. Any tips?

Today I had scrambled eggs and turkey bacon - I know bacon is questionable but I have opted to keep it I wasnt really hungry for lunch so I might just skip. Tonight we are going out for kabobs, YUM! I can have the kabobs and steamed veggies and eat like a queen with out any guilt! HORRAY!
I'm just not going to fret over the bacon issue I don't eat it that often anyway. Kabobs rock!

--
Well, been busy all day. I had coffee & cream for breakfast. For lunch I had a small avocado and a couple thick slices of cold roast beef leftover from a few nights ago, and I am still hungry. I must not be in ketosis yet, because hunger is not something that bothers me when I am. It's annoying and distracting. I will have to have something else before dinner. I'm defrosting some Italian sausage links for dinner, which I'll have with sauteed peppers and some sugar-free marinara.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #117
Princess Proofreader

Speck - I've been hungry a lot too!!
Old 01-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #118
Senior LCF Member

Hi all,

Doing fine today and looking forward to a dinner of shrimp over shirataki noodles (no tofu in them) and tomato sauce with very little sugar in it.

Lunch was left over taco pie.. plus I made a pudding thing out of chia seeds. It was too thick so I either used too much chia or not enough coconut milk. Will have to look up the recipe next time.

Breakfast was usual coffee with half and half and mct oil.. and a small sausage patty with sauerkraut..
Old 01-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #119

Speck & MK - could you need more fat or protein? You should not be hungry!
Old 01-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #120

My brother & SIL will be visiting over the weekend.

Of course Mom is going to make pasta for dinner when they are here! I let her know I'll bring my own food. I'll probably take a chicken breast.